PDA

View Full Version : Ghost warlock... will it work?

Mclane
2012-01-08, 02:37 AM
I have an idea for a backup character. As you read in the title, it's a warlock with the ghost template. Specifically an elf most likely. My group uses CR in place of LA and HD doesn't factor into ECL for the purpose of getting to play more unique or uncommon races and templates sooner, so I don't need tips on what to do about the LA. I just need to know if a warlock ghost would be a good idea, seeing as they both use charisma as and important stat. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

limejuicepowder
2012-01-08, 09:07 AM
ghost template is kinda odd, IMO. It does give some good abilities (how many is the DM allowing you to choose? They get 1d3...I think. Or are you rolling?).

however, there's some serious problems with being incorporeal:
-can't carry anything, so no loot for you (unless you choose telekinesis, I guess. That would be a major pain though)
-an extension of the above is no gear for you
-DM is going to hate when you casually float through every wall, trap, and obstacle

plus there's the odd rule about the ghost's pre-death gear: paraphrasing, if the real versions of the ghostly gear is moved, the ghost looses the gear. Unfortunately that's all it says about it.....what if the gear is destroyed? Unless you somehow died of non-natural causes, but in a place where your body and gear would never be disturbed, you're going to be a naked (literal naked...clothes are gear too, right?) ghost floating around with the party.

Acanous
2012-01-08, 09:14 AM
Take Eldritch Chain and Utterdark Blast.
Specify yourself as an additional target whenever possible.
Profit.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-08, 11:32 AM
ghost template is kinda odd, IMO. It does give some good abilities (how many is the DM allowing you to choose? They get 1d3...I think. Or are you rolling?).

however, there's some serious problems with being incorporeal:
-can't carry anything, so no loot for you (unless you choose telekinesis, I guess. That would be a major pain though)
-an extension of the above is no gear for you
-DM is going to hate when you casually float through every wall, trap, and obstacle

plus there's the odd rule about the ghost's pre-death gear: paraphrasing, if the real versions of the ghostly gear is moved, the ghost looses the gear. Unfortunately that's all it says about it.....what if the gear is destroyed? Unless you somehow died of non-natural causes, but in a place where your body and gear would never be disturbed, you're going to be a naked (literal naked...clothes are gear too, right?) ghost floating around with the party.

Ghost touch gear plus ghosttouch extradimensional storage? Also I think there's a feat floating around which allows you to treat all items as ghosttouch, could be wrong though.

Mclane
2012-01-08, 11:41 AM
Take Eldritch Chain and Utterdark Blast.
Specify yourself as an additional target whenever possible.
Profit.

Wait, how does this help me?

And what book is this "Floating Around" feat in?

onemorelurker
2012-01-08, 11:53 AM
Ghost touch gear plus ghosttouch extradimensional storage? Also I think there's a feat floating around which allows you to treat all items as ghosttouch, could be wrong though.

This feat is Ghostly Grasp, found on p.27 of Libris Mortis. It seems like a very worthwhile feat.

SaintRidley
2012-01-08, 11:56 AM
Wait, how does this help me?

And what book is this "Floating Around" feat in?

Free self healing from the negative energy.

123456789blaaa
2012-01-08, 11:57 AM
There is a ghost handbook on bg and a better one on the WOTC site. you may want to check there.

Randomguy
2012-01-08, 03:33 PM
If your group has a cleric of at least seventh level, he can use make manifest (spell compedium) on you whenever you need to cross over to the material plane to take your loot.

Socratov
2012-01-08, 04:30 PM
funnily enough... this would work actually well since the warlock doesn't specifically need gear (it's nice, but yeah...) I'd say go with it... (it does free up the fell flight invocation, so that is actually a plus)

go with tomes of [stat], they will still serve you, and maybe ioun stones (you should check this first)

For build, I'd go full warlock and go for debuffs (and crafting, that woudl be fun, a ghost crafting all sorts of items without being able to hold them)

go for the CC blast essences and invocations and get the feat abilty focus(eldritch blast)