PDA

View Full Version : Begone...With the Thunderclap! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 03:06 AM
The Amplifier

Prerequisites: To become an amplifier, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Feats: Spell Focus (Evocation), Greater Spell Focus (Evocation), Heighten Spell
Spellcasting: Able to cast 4th level arcane spells, including great thunderclap
Special: Must have spent all last level either preparing great thunderclap in all your 4th level spell slots, or using all of your 4th level spell slots to spontaneously cast great thunderclap

HD: d4
Class Skills: The amplifier's class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (All skills, taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft
Skill Points: 2+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Superior Thunderclap|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Sonic Caster, Screeching Thunderclap|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Reverberations|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Sonic Caster, Echoing Thunderclap|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Amplify Thunderclap|
[/table]

Class Features: The following are class features for the amplifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The amplifier gains no additional proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level except 5th, the amplifier gains additional spells per day, spells known (unless the amplifier uses a spellbook) and an increased caster level as if she had gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class she already had levels in. She does not gain any other benefits of that class (such as improving familiars or bonus feats).

Superior Thunderclap (Ex): An amplifier is unnaturally skilled with the mighty great thunderclap spell. She adds her class level as a bonus to the DC of any great thunderclap spell she casts. This stacks with all other increases to DC.

Sonic Caster (Ex): At 2nd level, an amplifier receives a +1 bonus to her caster level for all spells she casts with the [sonic] descriptor. She also may choose any spell with the [sonic] descriptor from her spell list, up to the highest level she is able to cast, and learn that spell or scribe it for free into her spellbook. At 4th level, an amplifier's bonus to her caster level when casting spells of the [sonic] descriptor increases to +2 and she learns another [sonic] spell from her spell list.

Screeching Thunderclap (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, an amplifier is able to unload a mighty blast of sound that is so loud it can shatter magical silence. Unlike most spellcasters, an amplifier is actually able to use the Heighten Spell feat to empower her signature spell and make it so loud it gains new effects, in addition to a higher DC. When the amplifier casts great thunderclap from a 4th level spell slot or higher, she may attempt to do so even in a field of silence. The amplifier receives a free dispel check (using her caster level of the great thunderclap spell) against the silence, and if she succeeds, the silence is dispelled. If she fails, her spell is wasted and the spell slot consumed.

Reverberations (Su): Starting at 3rd level, the ground itself is shaken up by an amplifier's great thunderclap. Whenever the amplifier casts great thunderclap from a 5th level spell slot or higher, all solid ground in the area of the spell is treated as difficult terrain for the next hour.

Echoing Thunderclap (Su): Starting at 4th level, when an amplifier lets out her signature spell, it echoes again and one round later it can really shock its victims. When the amplifier casts great thunderclap from at least a 5th level spell slot, it is treated as if it was modified by the Repeat Spell feat, without an increase in spell slot or casting time. The amplifier need not have the Repeat Spell feat. Creatures who are deafened by the first casting of great thunderclap are immune to the echo.

Amplify Thunderclap (Su): At 5th level, the amplifier finally perfects her signature spell, and can unleash hell upon all her foes. When she casts great thunderclap from at least a 6th level spell slot, the spell changes in the following way:

All creatures in the area must make a Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of sonic damage/level (max 20d6) and be permanently deafened. A successful save negates the deafness and halves the sonic damage.

All creatures in the area must make a Reflex save or fall prone and be slowed for 5 rounds. A successful save simply knocks the creature prone.

All creatures in the area must make a Will save or be rendered helpless for one round, and then stunned for one round after that. A successful save reduces this effect to simply being stunned for 1 round.

Eurus
2012-01-08, 03:34 AM
Hah, that's one of my favorite spells. I almost feel that it could stand to lose a level of spellcasting somewhere (5th level, maybe?), since it gets some pretty nasty effects. Specifically, the combination of Echoing and Amplify Thunderclap means that even a target who makes all their saves is going to be stunned for a round... then stunned for the next round... then still prone the round after that. A no-save two round stun that hits multiple foes is somewhat worrying. But with a +5 bonus to the DC, they'll probably be failing at least some of 'em anyway.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 03:41 AM
Hah, that's one of my favorite spells. I almost feel that it could stand to lose a level of spellcasting somewhere (5th level, maybe?), since it gets some pretty nasty effects. Specifically, the combination of Echoing and Amplify Thunderclap means that even a target who makes all their saves is going to be stunned for a round... then stunned for the next round... then still prone the round after that. A no-save two round stun that hits multiple foes is somewhat worrying. But with a +5 bonus to the DC, they'll probably be failing at least some of 'em anyway.

It's a +10 bonus to the DC, actually. (+5 from the class, +2 from Greater Spell Focus, and +3 from using Heighten Spell to get it to a 6th level spell slot)

I suppose I'll drop a CL from the last level, though. Amplify Thunderclap is indeed a nasty ability.

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-08, 02:29 PM
What, no ability called Kirin? :smallbiggrin: JK.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 02:30 PM
What, no ability called Kirin? :smallbiggrin: JK.

Haha, and here I thought that reference would be too obscure. :smallbiggrin: Ah, that made my day.

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-08, 02:34 PM
Haha, and here I thought that reference would be too obscure. :smallbiggrin: Ah, that made my day.

Nope, I'm a big player of Ninja Storm 2, and Kirin Sasuke is one of my favs. :smallsmile:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 03:32 PM
Upgraded the damage from Amplify Thunderclap to be better than shout, because shout is kind of a terrible spell.

Madara
2012-01-08, 03:56 PM
I saw the title and I smiled so much :smallsmile:
If you're looking to add, I'd suggest Shatter at will like a warlock. It fits the theme, and wouldn't be over-powered, but its only if you're looking for things to add.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 04:06 PM
I saw the title and I smiled so much :smallsmile:
If you're looking to add, I'd suggest Shatter at will like a warlock. It fits the theme, and wouldn't be over-powered, but its only if you're looking for things to add.

Haha. I saw your name and I immediately thought of Toby's ultimate from UNS2.

Anyway, you should have seen the ridiculous prestige class I almost posted last week...it was about using a greater doppelganger (from Monsters of Faerun, he has an ability like illithid slayer that lets him gain class features and abilities from people he eats), but gaining the ability to copy class features just from seeing them instead of from eating brains...I was going to call it The Uchiha...

Steward
2012-01-08, 07:03 PM
What was wrong with it?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 07:09 PM
What was wrong with it?

Wrong with what?

Steward
2012-01-08, 07:21 PM
Wrong with what?

The homebrew class you almost posted. It sounds pretty good.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-08, 07:25 PM
The homebrew class you almost posted. It sounds pretty good.

Oh, it's kind of...ridiculous. XD I couldn't stand myself to finish it.

Steward
2012-01-08, 07:29 PM
If you add in some typos and stir in some poorly-worded fluff you might be able to post it on dandwiki.

Madara
2012-01-09, 06:27 PM
If you add in some typos and stir in some poorly-worded fluff you might be able to post it on dandwiki.

You mean the place where homebrew goes to die?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-11, 06:18 PM
To be honest, it's just that Monsters of Faerun is a 3.0 source and I didn't want to deal with all the trouble of converting it to 3.5 before I finished the class.

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-21, 09:51 PM

You mean the place where homebrew goes to die?
He not everything is that bad there. One or two of the stuff is okay, and it makes a good joke-book.