PDA

View Full Version : cleric question

Bloodymango
2012-01-08, 03:36 AM
is it possible to make a good cleric rebuke undead, or likewise make and evil cleric turn undead

Kumori
2012-01-08, 03:45 AM
Unless you're planning to get it from another class, by RAW the answer is no. At least, so far as I know. Talk to your DM though. I doubt any decent DM would have a problem with allowing a good cleric to rebuke or an evil one to turn. Maybe you can do something with your background story where you had an alignment change from good to evil or the other way around. You started following the standard restriction, but then when your alignment changed you kept the ability to turn or rebuke that you had from before the switch.

Namfuak
2012-01-08, 03:53 AM
Really, the only thing you might have trouble with is if you want to control undead as a good cleric. Evil clerics would presumably not have any reservations with outright destroying undead, but good ones probably would not have such an easy time justifying controlling them.

bigstipidfighte
2012-01-08, 05:05 AM
I'll pop in and say that, I wouldn't allow it as a DM, even if you did have an alignment change. A former cleric of Pelor who converted to Nerull, is still a cleric of Nerull, and neither Pelor nor Nerull is going to be granting him the ability to turn/destroy undead.

The only way I might allow it would be if you were worshiping the same neutral god before and after your alignment shift, and that god continued to grant you the old version of the ability. Still, it's clearly against RAW and RAI, at least in my opinion.

Remember, Clerics, despite their tier 1 awesomeness, have one fatal flaw- their gods choose to grant them power each day- or not. If Kord thinks you're being a little too trigger-happy with your harm spells and not giving opponents a fair contest of arms, he can decide not to let you prepare harm spells for a few days. I've never actually seen this done in a game, but that is how their fluff works.

Acanous
2012-01-08, 09:32 AM
Technically speaking, Neutral cleric of a Neutral Deity that changes to Good-aligned of the same deity HAS to keep rebuke undead as per RAW: "Once this choice is made, it cannot be changed" (Refferring to a Neutral cleric choosing between turn and rebuke)

Kumori
2012-01-08, 12:08 PM
Technically speaking, Neutral cleric of a Neutral Deity that changes to Good-aligned of the same deity HAS to keep rebuke undead as per RAW: "Once this choice is made, it cannot be changed" (Refferring to a Neutral cleric choosing between turn and rebuke)

Well there we go! Choose a neutral deity and either to turn or rebuke, then alignment switch to what would normally get the other.

DoctorGlock
2012-01-08, 04:36 PM
Remember, Clerics, despite their tier 1 awesomeness, have one fatal flaw- their gods choose to grant them power each day- or not. If Kord thinks you're being a little too trigger-happy with your harm spells and not giving opponents a fair contest of arms, he can decide not to let you prepare harm spells for a few days. I've never actually seen this done in a game, but that is how their fluff works.

Or they can worship a cause, or even themselves, which means always getting which spells you want and never losing powers. It's in Sertrous's entry in elder evils. If this double posts it's because my internet is being all bizarre.