PDA

View Full Version : Hey, The Giant!

Gligarman2
2012-01-08, 08:10 AM
Hey. The Giant, I've been reading your Worldbuilding articles. They are great, well detailed, and I'm using them to make a world for my campaigns. You had many objections to 3.5 for your purposes, so you decided on D20 Modern. The problem with D20 Modern is the sheer amount of refluffing, homebrewing, and monster-changing to be effective. My counter-proposal is a free RPG called Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. It is rules light, and has fair, balanced, rules for magic. They even have a simple, no-homebrew, way to take it out and have a dark-ages setting. It is far more Rules-light, than d20 Modern, and has talents in magic, not classes. Yes, you heard me, classes are extinct. The system is free, simple, well-written, rules-light, and works perfectly with the world you are aiming to make.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-08, 10:44 AM
Maybe you weren't aware, but those worldbuilding articles were written years and years ago, at least a few years before you even joined the forums. They're incredibly old news now.

nihil8r
2012-01-08, 11:57 PM
seems like a cool game system gligarman :)

Xuc Xac
2012-01-09, 07:31 AM
Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. It is rules light, and has fair, balanced, rules for magic.

Can you tell us more about this? How is it balanced?

Tyndmyr
2012-01-09, 08:53 AM
Can you tell us more about this? How is it balanced?

Indeed, I'm curious about it.

That said, D 20M, while not a perfect system by any means, does have a Past expansion to it, so it's not a ridiculous choice for material, and while classless RPGs do offer certain advantages, I wouldn't toss out class-based RPGs altogether.

Rorrik
2012-01-09, 12:25 PM
Maybe you weren't aware, but those worldbuilding articles were written years and years ago, at least a few years before you even joined the forums. They're incredibly old news now.

Dang, I've been checking for more going on a year now, now I know why.

Zeta Kai
2012-01-09, 03:18 PM
Dang, I've been checking for more going on a year now, now I know why.

They were written before OotS was really popular, & articles like that were the focus of the entire site. The webcomic was actually started to drive traffic to the site in general, & articles like those specifically (similar to what happened with Shamus Young's site, TwentySided, & his webcomic, DM of the Rings). When OotS took off in popularity, Rich devoted his full attention to the comic, & the articles tapered off to nothing. He's only one man, & even working full time, his time is finite. I wish that the Worldbuilding articles would continue, but alas, that is unlikely anytime soon, if ever.

Mo_the_Hawked
2012-01-09, 11:16 PM
Personally I fell in love with his Halfling Rock Skipping champion PrC. But all of those articles where awesome.

Something just accured to me, certainly I am not the first, in fact I am certain there is a perfectly kromulant reason why that this hasn't happened, but there are a TON of Hombrew PrCs and other bases for articles that could be written by this forum community.

With Moderator editoral approval, or perhaps suggestion, but that could a be a neat idea.

Probabally be more trouble that it would be worth.

Rorrik
2012-01-10, 10:18 AM
They were written before OotS was really popular, & articles like that were the focus of the entire site. The webcomic was actually started to drive traffic to the site in general, & articles like those specifically (similar to what happened with Shamus Young's site, TwentySided, & his webcomic, DM of the Rings). When OotS took off in popularity, Rich devoted his full attention to the comic, & the articles tapered off to nothing. He's only one man, & even working full time, his time is finite. I wish that the Worldbuilding articles would continue, but alas, that is unlikely anytime soon, if ever.

That makes sense, he certainly does seem to be a busy man, and he has a great thing going here, but I know I've recommended people here for the gaming articles more than OotS, though admittedly I got here through OotS. Shame we can't have two Riches. :smallfrown:

The Glyphstone
2012-01-10, 04:25 PM
Personally I fell in love with his Halfling Rock Skipping champion PrC. But all of those articles where awesome.

Something just accured to me, certainly I am not the first, in fact I am certain there is a perfectly kromulant reason why that this hasn't happened, but there are a TON of Hombrew PrCs and other bases for articles that could be written by this forum community.

With Moderator editoral approval, or perhaps suggestion, but that could a be a neat idea.

Probabally be more trouble that it would be worth.

That is a good idea. Imagine if there was a subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15) devoted entirely to homebrew content?:smallbiggrin:

Mo_the_Hawked
2012-01-10, 05:17 PM
That is a good idea. Imagine if there was a subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15) devoted entirely to homebrew content?:smallbiggrin:

You cheeky, uh, monkey! Yea, monkey that will do.

Edit: Also the Atlas is awesome, nearly as awesome as an Awesome.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-10, 06:59 PM
You cheeky, uh, monkey! Yea, monkey that will do.

Edit: Also the Atlas is awesome, nearly as awesome as an Awesome.

Timber WolfMad Cat forever, yo.

Gligarman2
2012-01-13, 04:57 PM
Warrior, Rogue & Mage is a simple, lightweight roleplaying game that allows a group of players and a game master to experience epic adventures in a fantasy world filled with wondrous magic.

No Classes
Although WR&M uses three basic fantasy RPG classes in its name, it doesn't make use of classes. Players are encouraged to create their characters freely without having to fit them into archetypal roles. Warrior, Rogue and Mage are actually the character's basic attributes, which measure their capabilities in combat, stealth and academics respectively.

The entire thing's free, so you can download ALL SOURCEBOOKS LEGALLY FREE.

Great System.

It has a more mundane feel than DnD. Such as fighting Orcs vs. fighting Human Cutpurses. It's basically a skeleton to bring to life.

Seerow
2012-01-13, 05:00 PM

He seemed to be referring more towards putting up some of the homebrew as articles for the site. Which would be kind of neat, to see some of the higher quality polished homebrew material (especially settings and new classes/systems, as opposed to remakes) get published on the site with the writer's permission.

Though I'm sure if Rich was interested in this he'd have probably started doing it years ago.