PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the Lesser Cloak of Displacement>Greater Cloak of Displacement

Hellwyrm
2012-01-08, 09:15 AM
I have seen this run a couple of times, and I know I'm missing something. Would someone be so kind as to point out what?
Thanks.

CTrees
2012-01-08, 09:17 AM
Minor Cloak of Displacement functions continually. Major Cloak of Displacement has a limit of 15rds/day.

Ernir
2012-01-08, 09:59 AM
And requires standard action activation. That's the big one, as far as I am concerned.

Eldariel
2012-01-08, 10:04 AM
And requires standard action activation. That's the big one, as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, the whole "Command Word = Standard Action"-part really screws a bunch of items over. It's also really stupid considering normal talking and non-word activation is a free or a swift action generally... But it's what the rules say so what can you do. But ya, basically, actions are the most sparse resource higher up so using one to activate an item that duplicates a level 3 spell is generally subpar.

Snowbluff
2012-01-08, 06:48 PM
Aren't there rules in the MIC for making items continuous for a cost multiplier?

sreservoir
2012-01-08, 06:58 PM
Aren't there rules in the MIC for making items continuous for a cost multiplier?

well, by DMG guidelines CL 5 continuous displacement is worth 120000. rather expensive, yes.

Snowbluff
2012-01-08, 07:00 PM
well, by DMG guidelines CL 5 continuous displacement is worth 120000. rather expensive, yes.

SO we could come up with Continuous Greater > Lesser > Greater cloaks of displacement then? How come I never hear this as a suggestion? :smallconfused:

sreservoir
2012-01-08, 07:08 PM
SO we could come up with Continuous Greater > Lesser > Greater cloaks of displacement then? How come I never hear this as a suggestion? :smallconfused:

they're guidelines, not rules.

also, for the same expense, you could get more effective miss chances.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-08, 07:11 PM

Because of what other item guidelines could do to the game. Use Activated Items are game shattering (True Strike I am looking at you).

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-08, 07:52 PM
The designers actually came out with an article on how to properly price a continuous or use activated item of true strike...

Hellwyrm
2012-01-08, 09:12 PM
Ah I see. Somehow I assumed that something with the same name as another item would function exactly the same, but with a different spell being made continual. That's what you get for not properly checking item descriptions :smallredface:.
Thanks for pointing that out.

grarrrg
2012-01-08, 10:31 PM
Because Less is More.
More or less...