PDA

View Full Version : Item Creation in 3.5

Lickage
2012-01-08, 01:57 PM
We are starting a new, a low magic campaign. (5th level starting, all core class / races ) I was working up a Wizard that would take several of the creation feats. I have talked to my DM in asking to remove the EXP cost in creating magic items. He is willing to listen to a debate on why the rules should be changed. But I don't even know where to start with my argument. He said the argument could be why my character in particular should be exempt or why the rule in general should be changed.

Short background, all members of the group are adults, and the DM has 19+ years experience in being a DM, with a well established game world.

I tried searching the Forums for this but i keep getting a server error when I make a search. Any help would be welcome.

Xynphos
2012-01-08, 02:09 PM
While this might not be favorable, you could ask your DM to waive the XP cost if you were willing to pay more GP for the item creation than normal.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-01-08, 02:21 PM
"casters need the boost" otherwise clearly the mundanes will ov

Orsen
2012-01-08, 02:25 PM
Well, in the pathfinder rules, item creation no longer costs XP to encourage it's use. This might not be a good reason why you're specific character shouldn't have to pay but it's they way my group is playing (even though it's 3.5)and it's nice to finally make items without falling behind in levels.

ahenobarbi
2012-01-08, 02:35 PM
Also if you have to burn XP to make items it makes little sense to make items for others. While this would make party stronger it would also make you weaker.

Or you could try to convince your DM to allow you selling magical items for a lot higher price then in regular d&d worlds (since magic is scarce). With lots of extra gold you might be able to make up for difference in XP.

bloodtide
2012-01-08, 02:35 PM
1.The whole XP into magic items never made any sense. Why do you loose experience to make a magic item? Sure it will temporally make you a bit 'weaker' immediately after you make the item, but then you have the item forever. And after even a simple adventure, you have the XP 'back' and still have the magic item. So what is the point?

2.The XP cost does not 'do' anything. The wizards spells don't get weaker if the have 9,850 xp and not 10,000. Sure in a race case or two a wizard that made a bunch of magic items might not go up a level at the end of an adventure, but he would still have several magic items.

3.If he is an old school DM, remind him that in the good old days, wizards GOT XP for making items, they did not lose XP.

4.You might want to ask for a 'craft reserve' of a couple XP. The idea would be that if you planned to make an item and 'saved up' some XP.

5.Try to get an alternative to XP cost. The one I use in my games is the fantasy cost. Instead of XP, you need something fantastic, like 'the roar of a lion' or the 'twinkle of a star' or a rare plant. In other words, something you need to adventure for.

Lickage
2012-01-08, 02:50 PM
Thanks for some great starting points, the pathfinder game is what actually got me thinking about this in the first place. Any more ideas are more than welcome but at least now I have a start for my argument.

Flickerdart
2012-01-08, 04:29 PM
DMs are suckers for quests. Offer to do a quest for magic items you want to craft ("You need a rare herb to complete your +1 Tea of Mintiness, which is only found in the lair of the deadly deadly robot trolls" for instance) instead of wasting existing XP. That way, the entire group gets to be included in your crafting, the DM doesn't have to waive the XP cost without taking something in return, and you can't break WBL as quickly as you could otherwise. Everybody wins.