PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Mount Build possible?

hex0
2012-01-08, 04:08 PM
So I said this, half joking in another thread:

Or you could also be a spellcaster/Paladin/Ranger/Arcane Hierophant with Devoted Tracker and Leadership and your familiar would get the abilities of a Cohort, Mount, a Familiar, and an Animal Companion! Might as well throw Natural Bond on there for good measure.

So my questions:

What is the fastest way to get all four properties?

Is the Cohort part really worth getting?

Sources: And officially published 3.5, please.

Edit: Also no early entry cheese.

Urpriest
2012-01-08, 04:14 PM
The Cohort part is very much an "ask your DM" thing. There are rules for making a Cohort a Paladin's Mount in the DMG, but they're incomplete, and different interpretations make the build quite different.

hex0
2012-01-08, 04:19 PM
The Cohort part is very much an "ask your DM" thing. There are rules for making a Cohort a Paladin's Mount in the DMG, but they're incomplete, and different interpretations make the build quite different.

That's what I figured. Ok...let's skip that part.

blazingshadow
2012-01-08, 05:12 PM
have you seen the super mount (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866958/Supermount!)?

Urpriest
2012-01-08, 06:45 PM
have you seen the super mount (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866958/Supermount!)?

That one doesn't have Familiar. There are builds that do, but I'm having trouble finding them. The issue is that there are a bunch of requirements that need to be met and it's tricky to meet them all. I think Fey Bard ended up being used in a few of them.

hex0
2012-01-08, 06:51 PM

I have and while impressed, I'm just looking for something far less cheesy.

Familiar+Mount+Animal Companion

Urpriest
2012-01-08, 07:09 PM
I have and while impressed, I'm just looking for something far less cheesy.

Familiar+Mount+Animal Companion

...less cheesy? You're adding an extra set of abilities to the thing. By less cheesy, do you mean less dual-advancement?

Ok, if your question is not "how can I make a powerful Familiar/Mount/Companion" but just "how early can I get a Familiar/Mount/Companion"...and we're avoiding Dragon...

We probably want to get Trackless Step from Wildrunner. It can be entered at 6th, but requires a certain bunch of class skills. Arcane Hierophant requires Trackless Step, plus 2nd level divine and arcane (which we need three levels each for minimum since you don't want early entry), plus BAB +4. We'll use Prestige Paladin to get the mount since it's quicker. It requires BAB +4 as well.

So: Cleric 2/Prestige Paladin 2 gives 2nd level spells. We need BAB +4 before entering Prestige Paladin. We get 1 from Cleric 2, so we need 3 more. Bard 4 will give us this, as well as second level spells. So the build could look like this:

Bard 4/Cleric 2/Prestige Paladin 2/Wildrunner 1/Arcane Hierophant 1

So at 10th level you've got a creature that's a mount+animal companion+familiar. I'm going to have to dig around to check whether you can get all the feats and skills in time.

Edit: Bard here needs to be Fey Bard to get Animal Companion

hex0
2012-01-08, 07:22 PM
Duskblade gets full BAB and all Knowledge skills, so that a lot...but doesn't get 2nd level spells till 5th level.

And Prestige Ranger/Paladin doesn't work RAW with devoted Tracker. :/

Edit: But assuming it does, Cloistered Cleric 1/Duskblade 5/Prestige Ranger 1/Prestige Paladin 2/Wildrunner 1/Arcane Hierophant X would work...but soooo many feats.

Urpriest
2012-01-08, 07:24 PM
Duskblade gets full BAB and all Knowledge skills, so that a lot...but doesn't get 2nd level spells till 5th level.

And Prestige Ranger/Paladin doesn't work RAW with devoted Tracker. :/

Why doesn't Devoted Tracker work with Prestige Paladin? Actually, Devoted Tracker seems to work with any Special Mount, doesn't even seem to have to be a Paladin one. You just need Paladin levels to advance your Smite Evil.

Edit: We probably need Savage Fey Bard for our Bard to get all the relevant class skills. This means you'll want your Prestige Paladin to be Prestige Paladin of Freedom or Slaughter, which is a small leap from RAW. Let me know if that's too far, if it is we'll need to cook up a build that actually takes 5 levels of normal Paladin of Freedom, which will almost certainly make things take longer.

hex0
2012-01-08, 07:27 PM
Why doesn't Devoted Tracker work with Prestige Paladin? Actually, Devoted Tracker seems to work with any Special Mount, doesn't even seem to have to be a Paladin one. You just need Paladin levels to advance your Smite Evil.

Edit: You are right. I tried to change it above while you posted. :smallredface:

Urpriest
2012-01-08, 07:34 PM
You're build doesn't have 2nd level divine spells in time. And mine gets there faster anyway. Mine does need a Flaw or some elven subrace with Endurance as a bonus feat, though.

hex0
2012-01-08, 07:39 PM
You're build doesn't have 2nd level divine spells in time. And mine gets there faster anyway. Mine does need a Flaw or some elven subrace with Endurance as a bonus feat, though.

Any domains that grant any of the feats needed?

Cloistered Cleric 1/Prestige Ranger 1/Prestige Paladin 1 does get 2nd level divine spells

Edit: ack. this is tough.

Edit, edit: Ranger 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Duskblade 5/Prestige Paladin 3/Wildrunner 1 ugh.

Piggy Knowles
2012-01-08, 07:58 PM
What I want to see is a familiar/mount/animal companion hybrid that also manages to fit in five levels of wizard, using the changeling racial sub levels, for Morphic Familiar...

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-01-14, 08:47 PM
Keep in mind that the high one sub to add in familiar ... doesn't give you much. Its one of the very obvious things I mention in my Supermount World Record thr

Prime32
2012-01-14, 10:14 PM
What I want to see is a familiar/mount/animal companion hybrid that also manages to fit in five levels of wizard, using the changeling racial sub levels, for Morphic Familiar...
Seen it.

Since we're stretching into the realm of fuzzy TO

Wizard 5*/Paladin 2/Knight of the Blue Moon 1**/Beastmaster 2/Halfling Outrider 10
*high one warrior wizard AND spontaneous divination ACFs (required for KotBM)
**City of Splendors: Waterdeep - grants a mount and lets you stack wizard levels if you don't have a familiar

feats: racial emulation, natural bond, whatever else is needed for prereqs

I don't think this works with the cohort/mount idea, but whatever.

You have a mighty morphing mount 18/animal 18/familiar 5, which gives you: +20 HD, +15 NA, +10 Str, +6 Dex, Int 9

hex0
2012-01-15, 08:25 PM
There isn't any errata for any of the Races books, by Skip Williams said that he wrote 'woodland stride' as the requirement not trackless step. So that can be picked up from Prestige Ranger pretty quickly.

Cloistered Cleric 1/Duskblade 5/Prestige Ranger 1/Prestige Paladin 2/Prestige Ranger 1/Arcane Hierophant X

Feats:

1. Endurance, Track (human bonus), Mounted Combat (flaw)
3. Two Weapon Fighting
6. Obtain Familiar
9. Devoted Tracker

Anyone do it faster?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-01-16, 11:52 PM
Anyone do it faster?I love being ignored. That and disorganization is the binding tie between MinMax and this fail f

hex0
2012-01-22, 05:09 PM
I love being ignored. That and disorganization is the binding tie between MinMax and this fail f

What?

Also, I do know about Supermount.