PDA

View Full Version : Lockdown Crusader

Master Thrower
2012-01-08, 04:09 PM
Hello playground, i'm playing my first ToB character soon, and want to try and fill the classic lockdown crusaders i've heard so much about. However i'm not an expert on how to do this, and would like some help doing so. I do not have access to standstill currently (although I could run it by the DM), so does that ruin the build?

Secondly I would like to enter some PrC, preferably either Eternal Blade, Ruby Knight Vindicator or Master of the Nine. (Ik master of the nine isnt the best, but it is my favorite PrC in the book and so is high up on my list) (also no D2, or idiot crusader builds)

So any build advice on race, class levels, feats, and manuevers/stances would be greatly appreciated.

hex0
2012-01-08, 04:29 PM
Secondly I would like to enter some PrC, preferably either Eternal Blade, Ruby Knight Vindicator

I like Cloistered Cleric 1/Crusader 4/Prestige Paladin 2/RKV 10 myself. Or skip Prestige Paladin. I like the CHA to saves and Paladin spell list access myself though. Edit: If you can get Battle Blessing to apply with Prestige Paladin...wow.

You may want some Knight for Bulwark of Defense and other things, too.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-08, 06:25 PM
How high up the optimization totem pole are we talking? Would a Crusader 8/Ur-Priest 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 be OP?

Snowbluff
2012-01-08, 06:27 PM
How high up the optimization totem pole are we talking? Would a Crusader 8/Ur-Priest 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 be OP?

Idiot Crusader Ur RKV? How OP?

Tvtyrant
2012-01-08, 06:35 PM
Idiot Crusader Ur RKV? How OP?

That would be more powerful than what I posted, yes, but would also be a lot trickier to pull off. You would need to incorporate a lot more none-Crusader levels, since you need more manuevers readied than known for the idiot crusader trick to work.

Fable Wright
2012-01-08, 06:42 PM

This would probably be shut down by the DM, given that Ur-Priest and RKV aren't exactly compatible. You would need to change the fluff of one of the classes, and the prereqs, to get an extremely powerful concept to work. I would not try to go that route...

Tvtyrant
2012-01-08, 06:44 PM
This would probably be shut down by the DM, given that Ur-Priest and RKV aren't exactly compatible. You would need to change the fluff of one of the classes, and the prereqs, to get an extremely powerful concept to work. I would not try to go that route...

I can see how the fluff doesn't work out, but not the pre-reqs. How do they contradict each other there?

hex0
2012-01-08, 06:57 PM
I can see how the fluff doesn't work out, but not the pre-reqs. How do they contradict each other there?

Because RKV requires worshiping Wee Jas or the relevent deity of Death in your campaign setting and Ur-Priest requires not worshiping a diety.

Snowbluff
2012-01-08, 07:04 PM
Because RKV requires worshiping Wee Jas or the relevent deity of Death in your campaign setting and Ur-Priest requires not worshiping a diety.

It doesn't, it requires you not to be able to cast Divine spells. Which is a huge problem with the class itself! :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2012-01-08, 07:04 PM

Except that is not in the slightest bit true. In Complete Divine it says that an Ur-Priest cannot get divine spells outside of being an Ur-Priest, and must be evil. In the fluff it says that "they hate gods," but there is no requirement to not worship one, nor any clause that says you lose your powers if you do.

hex0
2012-01-08, 07:11 PM
Except that is not in the slightest bit true. In Complete Divine it says that an Ur-Priest cannot get divine spells outside of being an Ur-Priest, and must be evil. In the fluff it says that "they hate gods," but there is no requirement to not worship one, nor any clause that says you lose your powers if you do.

I know, but it doesn't change the fact that RKV does require you to worship. So this is up to the DM to allow an Urpriest/RKV.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-08, 07:13 PM
I know, but it doesn't change the fact that RKV does require you to worship. So this is up to the DM to allow an Urpriest/RKV.

But there is nothing in Ur-Priest that prevents you from worshipping, so there is no contradiction here. As a writer once said "She was discovering that it was not only possible to worship something you did not love, it was possible to worship something you hated."