PDA

View Full Version : [PF] I need character building help!

TechnOkami
2012-01-08, 04:18 PM
So, this is my concept: a barbarian rogue. Typically this would get a little MAD because of the strains and stresses between Str and Dex, but I am using a variant if the Barbarian which boosts his Dex and Wis rather than Str and Con, so he will be essentially a relatively unhittable, sneaky, flanking, Stabbity McStabbins kinda guy. The thing is... well, I'm really really new to Pathfinder, and need some basic help in making this guy. For fluff, he is going to be a half-orc, and I'm not willing to change that.

As per the GM's homeriles, I have weapon finesse and combat expertise right off the bat. I start at level 6. I'm thinking of getting two weapon fighting and dual wielding short swords, but beyond that, I'm not too sure what else I should do. My character's stats has to be a 20 pb.

Could you guys give me a hand?

Curious
2012-01-08, 04:33 PM
This can actually work. See if your DM will allow you to use the 3.5 Barbarian ACF that trades fast movement for pounce, while your Rogue should be using the Scout archetype.

(Spirit Lion Totem) Barbarian 1/ Scout 5.

Thanks to the scouts special ability gained at 4th level, whenever you charge you gain your sneak attack dice to damage regardless of whether your enemy was flat-footed or not, so you'll be getting two attacks at +4 BAB with +3d6 sneak attack dice.

TechnOkami
2012-01-08, 04:39 PM
This can actually work. See if your DM will allow you to use the 3.5 Barbarian ACF that trades fast movement for pounce, while your Rogue should be using the Scout archetype.

(Spirit Lion Totem) Barbarian 1/ Scout 5.

Thanks to the scouts special ability gained at 4th level, whenever you charge you gain your sneak attack dice to damage regardless of whether your enemy was flat-footed or not, so you'll be getting two attacks at +4 BAB with +3d6 sneak attack dice.

I like that idea, but I think the GM would like me to stay in the PF stuff.

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 04:50 PM
For stack's game I take it? If so, then it's worth noting that the build is only going to reach ~ level 10, so there's no point in going for Pounce or other higher-level abilities.

Also, I wouldn't take a rogue archetype that trades in trapfinding, and intimidate and abilities that rely upon it are likely to be of limited use (since, IIRC, they don't work against undead).

Curious
2012-01-08, 04:55 PM
I like that idea, but I think the GM would like me to stay in the PF stuff.

Hm. Well, there are two other ways of getting free movement available to you. Take barbarian to level 10, and you can take the Greater Beast Totem power, which gives you pounce. Or, you can UMD a wand of Accelerate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power/effect-words/accelerate) so you can move and full attack. Unfortunately, Accelerate won't turn all of your attacks into SA's, but being able to move and full attack at all is fantastic.

TechnOkami
2012-01-08, 04:58 PM
For stack's game I take it?

It's a small forum after all. :smalltongue:

Something I'm curious about: does the Lightbringer's Penetrating Strike ACF exist in Pathfinder form? That would help me greatly against the undead baddies.

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 05:02 PM
No need, corporeal undead are fully susceptible to sneak attack in pathfinder (incorporeal too, if you've got a ghost-touched weapon).

TechnOkami
2012-01-08, 05:07 PM
No need, corporeal undead are fully susceptible to sneak attack in pathfinder (incorporeal too, if you've got a ghost-touched weapon).

Really? Huh, well that simplifies things a lot.

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 10:01 PM
If you want a TWF rogue/barbarian I'd suggest something along the lines of

Rogue (Scout) 4/Barbarian (serene) 2

STR: 12
Dex: 18 (16+2 racial)
Con: 14
Int 13
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

Feats (weapon finesse, combat expertise), two weapon fighting, two-weapon feint, skill focus: Bluff

The point is to get improve two-weapon feint and then maximize your Bluff and number of attacks to get SA on all your iterative after feinting with your first attack.