PDA

View Full Version : Tools for a total newbie

Spacewolf
2012-01-08, 04:20 PM
I was thinking about trying to get into a Play by post or finding a D&D game in my local area but i have no idea how to play and especially for a PBP game it would probably get in the way of everyones fun. Which of course i dont want.

Flickerdart
2012-01-08, 04:23 PM
The d20 SRD (http://d20srd.org) is a great resource for learning how to play, since it has most of the core rules available for free, and has hyperlinks to all the game terms, so you can look something up quickly if you need to.

Spacewolf
2012-01-08, 04:52 PM
So i used an online generator to roll this up based on what the site seems to imlply go together would this be a reasonable character? *Note its very long*

Spacewolf
Male Human Bard 1
Neutral Good

Strength 11 (+0)
Dexterity 15 (+2)
Constitution 13 (+1)
Intelligence 16 (+3)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 16 (+3)
Size: Medium
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 165 lb
Skin:
Eyes:
Hair:

Total Hit Points: 7

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 12 = 10 +2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 10
Initiative modifier: +2 = +2 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +1 = 0 [base] +1 [constitution]
Reflex save: +4 = 2 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Will save: +4 = 2 [base] +2 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): +0 = 0 [base]
Attack (unarmed): +0 = 0 [base]
Attack (missile): +2 = 0 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +0 = 0 [base]

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
38 lb. or less
39-76 lb.
77-115 lb.
115 lb.
230 lb.
575 lb.

Languages: Common Spiritfolk Dwarven Elven Goblin Halfling Infernal

Short Sword [1d6, crit 19-20/x2, 1 lb, light, piercing]

Feats:

Dodge
Negotiator

Traits:

Skill Name Key
Ability Skill
Modifier Ability
Modifier Ranks Misc.
Modifier
Appraise Int 5 = +3 +2
Balance Dex* 2 = +2
Bluff Cha 7 = +3 +4
Climb Str* 1 = +0 +1
Concentration Con 3 = +1 +2
Craft_1 Int 3 = +3
Craft_2 Int 3 = +3
Craft_3 Int 3 = +3
Diplomacy Cha 9 = +3 +4 +2 [negotiator]
Disguise Cha 6 = +3 +3
Escape Artist Dex* 2 = +2
Forgery Int 3 = +3
Gather Information Cha 5 = +3 +2
Heal Wis 3 = +2 +1
Hide Dex* 2 = +2
Intimidate Cha 4 = +3 +1
Jump Str* 0 = +0
Knowledge (history) Int 5 = +3 +2
Knowledge (nobility) Int 5 = +3 +2
Listen Wis 4 = +2 +2
Move Silently Dex* 5 = +2 +3
Perform_1 Cha 3 = +3
Perform_2 Cha 3 = +3
Perform_3 Cha 3 = +3
Perform_4 Cha 3 = +3
Perform_5 Cha 3 = +3
Ride Dex 2 = +2
Search Int 4 = +3 +1
Sense Motive Wis 4 = +2 +2 [negotiator]
Spot Wis 2 = +2
Survival Wis 2 = +2
Swim Str** 2 = +0 +2
Use Magic Device Cha 5 = +3 +2
Use Rope Dex 2 = +2

* = check penalty for wearing armor

This character also has 3 ranks in Speak Languages.

Zero-level Bard spells: 2 per day

Human:

Extra feat at first level (already included)
Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)
Bard:

Bardic Knowledge

Bardic Music

Can know only limited numbers of spells

High charisma gains bonus spells daily

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Bard 6

Spacewolf's Equipment:

1 lb
3 lb
2 lb
_____
6 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Musical instrument
Spell component pouch

Total

Flickerdart
2012-01-08, 05:23 PM
1) Negotiator and Dodge are both terrible feats, because they give flat unscaling bonuses to things that aren't that important.
2) You should buy some armour. A Chain Shirt (100gp) will not impede your abilities, and will protect you adequately.
3) You don't need that much Intelligence. Additionally, try not to have odd ability scores. In fact, your PB value is 42, which is way higher than the highest PB the PHB recommends (32). A good arrangement of ability scores would be 10, 16, 14, 10, 10, 16, in that order - your important stats are high, and you have no penalties.
4) Bard is not a very good choice for beginners, as bards in core have very little mechanical support. Barbarian and Druid are pretty good choices - Barbarians are hardy and simple to play, while Druids are more complicated but much more forgiving of mistakes (you have no limit on spells known, you can dismiss your companion and get a new one, you can Wildshape to compensate for poor ability scores).

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-01-08, 06:05 PM
From how I read it he rolled his stats, so odds are there to stay. OP, when Flickerdart says 42 pb value, he's referring to the option to use points to buy your stats. Using that variant, you start with 8s in all stats and a pool of points (say, 30) to increase those abilities as you choose. Each bump, from 9 to 14, costs 1 apiece. 15 and 16 cost 2 apiece. 17 and 18 cost 3 apiece. Using that formula we can say that your rolls are equivalent to a 42 point buy array, which means you rolled well.

The character is legal and could perform fine in a party, though I agree with Flickerdart's suggestions on Dodge, Negotiator and Chain Shirt; the key is knowing what the boop he can actually do while you're playing him. More studying, I'm afraid. Also, maybe I missed it, but did you select your spells known?

Strawberries
2012-01-08, 06:12 PM
I was thinking about trying to get into a Play by post or finding a D&D game in my local area but i have no idea how to play and especially for a PBP game it would probably get in the way of everyones fun. Which of course i dont want.

If you want to try play by post, look for a game geared towards newbies (or ask for one yourself). They pop up from time to time, and this way you will be sure that the DM and other players know you are an inexperienced player and are willing to work with you.

Also, obligatory link to the stickied guide to play by posts! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181299)

And also, when I was a newbie 3.5 combat was very confusing for me. This reference helped a lot. (http://www.hamesucken.com/combat.html)

Spacewolf
2012-01-08, 06:16 PM
so then avoid classes that use supporting effects for now, and go for skills that scale with level, armour also important. How much GP do games usually start with? I rolled as i thought it would be more in the spirit of things

Greenish
2012-01-08, 06:21 PM
How much GP do games usually start with?Depends on the starting level, but usually by WBL.

At first level, I've seen rolling, getting the average, getting the max, getting a fixed amount, not getting anything…

In general, you're better off making a character after you know the specifics of the game you're playing (or applying) in.