PDA

View Full Version : What does 3.5 have in the way of support for Firearms?

Talionis
2012-01-08, 06:14 PM
3.0 has the Techsmith that has proficiency with Firearms. I know that Firearms are shown in the DM guide for futuristic weapons. Is there any support in 3.5 or 3.0 that is carried over into 3.5 that I should take a look at?

Ivellius
2012-01-08, 08:48 PM
The World of Warcraft books have a decent amount as befits the setting: grenades, rifles, pistols, mortars, and blunderbusses in the core book and rules for improving and/or designing technological weapons. Magic & Mayhem and More Magic & Mayhem add other tech devices to the mix, and there are a few feats that deal specifically with firearms.

I don't know of much in the D&D books themselves, however.

hex0
2012-01-08, 09:07 PM
The 3.0 DMG had some, not sure about the 3.5 one.

I played a techsmith and my glorious pistol was houseruled.

Morcleon
2012-01-08, 09:10 PM
There's a section in the DMG about Renaissance, Modern and Futuristic Weapons. (pgs 144-147)

deuxhero
2012-01-08, 09:11 PM
PF has gun rules.

Talionis
2012-01-08, 09:52 PM
The 3.0 DMG had some, not sure about the 3.5 one.

I played a techsmith and my glorious pistol was houseruled.

I have the stats in the DM1 Guide. I also have the 3.0 Pantheon's Book for Techsmith which I may try to houserule, also. What did you do to houserule yours?

Anything else I should look at though?

Ravens_cry
2012-01-08, 10:01 PM
To elaborate on what deuxhero said, here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/firearms#TOC-Advanced-Firearms) is the gun rules from Pathfinder.

Howler Dagger
2012-01-08, 10:22 PM
Spoiler Alert!
Pathfinder isn't 3.5

Anywaat\y, look in the sedction in the DMg, pg. 140 ish. By the rules you should be able to use the 3.0 stuff, bu tI wonder if Wizards ever did a conversion thing to them

DrMike105
2012-01-08, 10:29 PM
Monte Cook's Ptolus has some good gun rules. I've run them, and have had no problems. Expensive book, though.

Greenish
2012-01-08, 10:33 PM
Monte Cook's Ptolus has some good gun rules. I've run them, and have had no problems. Expensive book, though.These? (http://www.ptolus.com/images/Technology.pdf) Colour me unimpressed. They're better than PF gun rules, sure, but that says more about PF gun rules than anything else.

[Edit]: Meant to put the actual link in. :smalltongue:

Machinekng
2012-01-08, 11:12 PM
Iron Kingdoms has some solid gun rules and associated classes and feats.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-08, 11:32 PM
These? (http://www.ptolus.com/images/Technology.pdf) Colour me unimpressed. They're better than PF gun rules, sure, but that says more about PF gun rules than anything else.

[Edit]: Meant to put the actual link in. :smalltongue:
I don't exactly see how they are better per sae than Pathfinder gun rules.

Seerow
2012-01-08, 11:36 PM
Personally on the rare occasion I want guns I just refluff a heavy crossbow.

Kaeso
2012-01-09, 08:19 AM
The muskets and pistols from DMG are pretty good, but suffer from the same problem as crossbows, poison, alchemical fire etc.: after a while, they just become plain useless. Sure, a mounted ranger with a musket (a dragoon :smallbiggrin:) can rule the battlefield in E6, and a rogue dual wielding pistols can be brutal*, but once you're around the level 10 mark and the game starts going crazy, your little musket might actually be weaker(!) than a bow.

*of course you need both hands to reload a pistol, but why not do what the pirates did IRL? Take quickdraw + the TWF tree and get yourself multiple pistols. Drawing your guns is a free action, firing them is a full action and dropping them is another free action. You fire both of your guns, drop them, grab two new guns, drop them, grab another two, drop them and continue until you've used all of your attacks for that round. In E6, where 1d10 per attack at a 50 ft. range actually means something, this can turn you into a one man army. Even more so if you are ambushing a group, as this adds sneak attack damage to your already impressive damage output. Of course you can pick up all of your guns and reload every single one of them at the end of the fight, leaving you prepared for your next encounter. For even better results, find a way to move around while still being able to make full attacks (a mount, perhaps?) and you can make sure your enemies never even get close enough to touch you.

EDIT: I want to correct OP, not all the guns in the DMG are futuristic or modern. There are renaissance weapons, which historically made their debut on the battlefield in the 13th century, which means they fit right in the medieval setting of most DnD campaigns.

Tsuzurao
2012-01-09, 01:21 PM
Dragon Magazine #321 expanded on the DMG's firearms rules, including a variety of additional types of firearms, and construction modifications (like various types of bayonets or having a breech-loading gun to cut down on reload time).

Wings of Peace
2012-01-09, 01:35 PM
I'd look into the 3rd party Iron Kingdoms books if you want guns honestly. I like their gun rules a lot more than I like what's actually been published by Wizards.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-09, 01:42 PM
Spoiler Alert!
Pathfinder isn't 3.5

Anywaat\y, look in the sedction in the DMg, pg. 140 ish. By the rules you should be able to use the 3.0 stuff, bu tI wonder if Wizards ever did a conversion thing to them
The 3.5 DMG also has it (see pages 145 and 146) just not that kick ass picture of a dwarf with a massive bored musket with a sculpted dragon barrel.

Tyndmyr
2012-01-09, 01:44 PM
3.0 has the Techsmith that has proficiency with Firearms. I know that Firearms are shown in the DM guide for futuristic weapons. Is there any support in 3.5 or 3.0 that is carried over into 3.5 that I should take a look at?

There's a tiny amount in the DMG. It's pretty terrible. I suggest using the rules from D20 modern instead. Use alternate massive damage rule from D20M for firearms only. Done deal, works fine.

Talionis
2012-01-09, 02:04 PM
EDIT: I want to correct OP, not all the guns in the DMG are futuristic or modern. There are renaissance weapons, which historically made their debut on the battlefield in the 13th century, which means they fit right in the medieval setting of most DnD campaigns.

Sorry, if I gave the wrong impression. I meant "modern" as in more modern than most time periods when a D&D campaign would be set. I remember now that they did use the word in the DM manual to depict weapons of today vs the flintlock.

Greenish
2012-01-09, 02:07 PM
I don't exactly see how they are better per sae than Pathfinder gun rules.They don't explode on your face.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-09, 02:14 PM
They don't explode on your face.
Some of them do. At least it's better than Iron Kingdoms rules where you have to make a Craft check, I think, every time you reload.
Sure, it quickly becomes trivial, but then ,why have it in the first place?
It's just needless rolling.

Greenish
2012-01-09, 02:20 PM
Some of them do. At least it's better than Iron Kingdoms rules where you have to make a Craft check, I think, every time you reload.
Sure, it quickly becomes trivial, but then ,why have it in the first place?
It's just needless rolling.Mmn, yeah, firearms get the short shaft in quite a few places. Probably because they (gameplay-wise) occupy the same slot and role as bows or crossbows. If you want to make them different, it's hard to do without making them stronger or weaker, and most opt for caution.

Talionis
2012-01-09, 03:16 PM
Its more a style and feel for an upcoming campaign that will be a little more Solomon Kane-ish. So I was just wondering if there were healthy ways to manage firearms, neither making them irrelevant, but not a showcase of the campaign?

Greenish
2012-01-09, 03:21 PM
Its more a style and feel for an upcoming campaign that will be a little more Solomon Kane-ish. So I was just wondering if there were healthy ways to manage firearms, neither making them irrelevant, but not a showcase of the campaign?Use refluffed bows or crossbows. Bam!

Kyberwulf
2012-01-09, 11:50 PM
You ever look into D20 Modern? It has alot of rules you can bring into D&D.

Talionis
2012-01-10, 07:55 PM
You ever look into D20 Modern? It has alot of rules you can bring into D&D.

No Im really not familiar with it.

Prime32
2012-01-10, 08:44 PM
Sorry, if I gave the wrong impression. I meant "modern" as in more modern than most time periods when a D&D campaign would be set. I remember now that they did use the word in the DM manual to depict weapons of today vs the flintlock.
Single-use firearms, grenades: 10th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huolongjing)
Ballista-propelled grenades: 11th century
Cannons: 12th century
Handguns, landmines: 13th century
Explosive cannon rounds, Missiles shaped like dragons that breathe smaller missiles from their mouths: 14th century
Plate armor: 15th century

A lot of stuff in this thread (www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2145) on why people used firearms in the first place.