PDA

View Full Version : Sources for DR at Level 1

dextercorvia
2012-01-08, 10:33 PM
What it says on the tin. What kind of DR can a 1st level wizard muster up? Sources: any first party.

sonofzeal
2012-01-08, 10:39 PM
A Dwarven Wizard with 20 Con and two Flaws can have DR 4/- by taking "Toughness" followed by taking "Roll With it" (SS) twice.

Derjuin
2012-01-08, 10:39 PM
If you're an Azurin or other 1 essentia-having race, you can take the Shape Soulmeld feat for Astral Vambraces (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) to get DR 4/magic (DR 2/magic if you don't put any essentia in it). You could also be a Warforged and take Adamantine Body, but that has arcane spellcasting failure attached...

Greenish
2012-01-08, 10:43 PM
A warforged could pick Adamantine Body as a feat and get DR 2/Adamantine. 35% ASF might put a bit of a damper on that, though.

An Azurin could pick up Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambraces) for DR 4/Magic.

[Edit]: Accursed swordsages! :smallamused:

dextercorvia
2012-01-08, 10:47 PM
Does Roll with It actually stack with other types of DR, or is that a relic from 3.0?

sonofzeal
2012-01-08, 10:57 PM
Does Roll with It actually stack with other types of DR, or is that a relic from 3.0?
It explicitly stacks with itself and other forms of DR.

RagnaroksChosen
2012-01-08, 11:27 PM
If you are willing to go sorcerer I belive dwarf sorcerer ACF can.

shortround
2012-01-08, 11:45 PM
If you are willing to go sorcerer I belive dwarf sorcerer ACF can.

At the cost of your familiar, you get the Alertness feat and DR1/Adamantine. RoS 147

Psyren
2012-01-08, 11:56 PM
Also Hidden Talent:Biofeedback

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-08, 11:57 PM
A Dwarf Sorcerer with Thick-Skinned (SS) x3 via flaws would have DR 7/Adamantine...

In PGtF on page 190 is the "Powerful Races at 1st Level" variant, which allows you to start at 1st level as a level-adjusted race in exchange for a penalty to d20 rolls, save DCs, and racial AC bonuses equal to the owed level adjustment. Future levels must go toward gaining that level adjustment and thus reducing those penalties, and you can use the LA buyoff rules in UA later on. Thus something like Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) or Quasilycanthrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) could give you a decent source of DR at 1st level.

candycorn
2012-01-09, 01:19 AM
Feat: Willing Deformity
Feat (via Flaw): Deformity (Madness)
Feat (via Flaw): Reflexive Psychosis

DR 5/-, as an immediate action, at will. Only penalty is the next round, you're Confused.

Alternately:

Feat: Aberrant Dragonmark
Feat (via Flaw): Mark of Madness
Feat (via Flaw): Mark of Xoriat

DR 5/Byeshk, all the time.

dgnslyr
2012-01-09, 01:37 AM
The feat Martial Study: Stone Bones will give you 5 DR/--, but only for one turn, and after making a melee attack, so not so good for a wizard. Is there a particular reason you want DR? How much resources are you willing to spend?

Acanous
2012-01-09, 01:43 AM
I know a couple kinds of armor come with DR, but they're out of the budget of a lv 1 char. Unless you're allowed some free time, in which case there's a feat in Eberron that reduces the XP cost of creating items. Apply to lv 1 scrolls. Profit.

Godskook
2012-01-09, 01:49 AM
Precocious Apprentice for Daggerspell Stance. Only lasts a round at this level, and requires a total defence action, but its there. Useful for situations where you *KNOW* you're going to be a primary target. Annoying that it doesn't become practical until just about the point where magic weapons start becoming common(when its not a max-level spell), and even then, it isn't a great buff regardless.

dgnslyr
2012-01-09, 02:49 AM
There's a piece of equipment called an Earthsilk Jersey. It's a dwarven-made shirt made of fungal fiber that gives DR 1/slashing or bludgeoning. It costs 150 gp, so it's a bit out of range for a level 1 character, and it breaks and requires repair if you take a critical hit, but you'll be dead anyways, so that's not really an issue.

Tenebris
2012-01-09, 03:33 PM
Fey Heritage feat chain (specifically Fey Skin). Up to 5/cold iron, but stacks with other things that grants you x/cold iron. Works best on warlocks (or eldritch theurges), otherwise not really worth it.

Incanur
2012-01-09, 03:54 PM
I recommend Toughening Transmutation (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-mage--58/toughening-transmutation--2946/).

dextercorvia
2012-01-09, 11:15 PM
So, an Azurin Transmuter with SS: Astral Vambraces, Toughening Transformation, and Thick-Skinnedx2 would have DR/Magic 8 normally, and it would jump to 13 any turn in which he casts a Transmutation spell.

Can we do any better? I'm tempted to say Biff's Dwarf is better, since /Magic is pathetically easy to overcome later on.

Kumori
2012-01-10, 12:27 AM
Feat: Aberrant Dragonmark
Feat (via Flaw): Mark of Madness
Feat (via Flaw): Mark of Xoriat

DR 5/Byeshk, all the time.

So, an Azurin Transmuter with SS: Astral Vambraces, Toughening Transformation, and Thick-Skinnedx2 would have DR/Magic 8 normally, and it would jump to 13 any turn in which he casts a Transmutation spell.

Can we do any better? I'm tempted to say Biff's Dwarf is better, since /Magic is pathetically easy to overcome later on.

At a cost of 2 points, you could switch it off of magic... Use candycorn's DR 5/byeshk option as a Human, taking toughening transmutation as your Human feat. DR 5/Byeshk always, DR 10/Byeshk for a round after casting a transmutation spell.

dextercorvia
2012-01-10, 12:44 AM
At a cost of 2 points, you could switch it off of magic... Use candycorn's DR 5/byeshk option as a Human, taking toughening transmutation as your Human feat. DR 5/Byeshk always, DR 10/Byeshk for a round after casting a transmutation spell.

I'll admit, I kind of glazed on that one. What is a Byeshk?

Kumori
2012-01-10, 12:47 AM
I'll admit, I kind of glazed on that one. What is a Byeshk?

Don't quote me on this, cause I'm not at all certain, but I think it's a material like Mithril or Adamantine. I'm not sure of it's cost or qualities or really anything...

Greenish
2012-01-10, 12:57 AM
Don't quote me on this, cause I'm not at all certain, but I think it's a material like Mithril or Adamantine. I'm not sure of it's cost or qualities or really anything...+1500gp to make a weapon from byeshk, and if it's bludgeoning, it gains +1 enhancement bonus to damage.

Yeah, it's meant to be used for MW golf clubs. :smallsigh:

[Edit]: And it's from ECS.

Kumori
2012-01-10, 01:11 AM
+1500gp to make a weapon from byeshk, and if it's bludgeoning, it gains +1 enhancement bonus to damage.

Yeah, it's meant to be used for MW golf clubs. :smallsigh:

[Edit]: And it's from ECS.

Enhancement bonus... Is that a bonus to your enhancement bonus? 'Cause otherwise it wouldn't help a magic weapon in any way.

Alienist
2012-01-10, 01:53 AM
There is also the Infusion "Ablative Armour" for a one time DR 5/-

Unfortunately it goes away as soon as it is used, so it is rubbish. I mention it only for the sake of completeness.

Greenish
2012-01-10, 09:39 AM
Enhancement bonus... Is that a bonus to your enhancement bonus?Nope.

'Cause otherwise it wouldn't help a magic weapon in any way.Precisely. The only reason you'd want a byeshk weapon is to pierce the DR on select few aberrations. Hence the golf club comment.

DoctorGlock
2012-01-10, 01:13 PM
Lesser Fey'ri can have DR 10/magic (in addition to flight and at will alter self)

dextercorvia
2012-01-10, 03:58 PM
Lesser Fey'ri can have DR 10/magic (in addition to flight and at will alter self)

I thought they had change self, which was updated to disguise self. Where were they printed again?

DoctorGlock
2012-01-10, 04:11 PM
I thought they had change self, which was updated to disguise self. Where were they printed again?

Races of Faerun, Monsters of Faerun

dextercorvia
2012-01-10, 10:10 PM
Would Thick-Skinned apply to all your different DR?

If you had DR/cold iron and DR/magic would Thick-Skinned increase both of them by two?

Kumori
2012-01-11, 02:07 AM
Would Thick-Skinned apply to all your different DR?

If you had DR/cold iron and DR/magic would Thick-Skinned increase both of them by two?

I would assume so.... It doesn't say anything about having to pick a type of DR to improve.

dextercorvia
2012-01-11, 09:36 AM
I would assume so.... It doesn't say anything about having to pick a type of DR to improve.

That was the way I read it as well.