PDA

View Full Version : Matrix-based game?

JeenLeen
2012-01-09, 12:44 AM
In reading Another Gaming Comic, there's an arc where they play 'The Index', an obvious allusion to The Matrix.

ex. http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=73

Are there any good Matrix-based games? If so, can you describe the mechanics/dice system (like D&D d20, Unisystem, more like WoD, etc.)?

Dr. Roboto
2012-01-09, 04:14 PM
All of the different matrix RPGs are fan-based. There are a few D20 Modern hacks, and I think a West End Games-style D6 system, which are easily found with a bit of Google-fu.

The only dedicated system I've seen is There Is No Spoon (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=2185). It's very rules-lite, but I've never played it. The full text is on Scribd, but I'm not entirely sure if it's legal.

Of course, any cinematic system that supports firearms is easily adaptable to the Matrix. I would take a look at Feng Shui to see if that has what you want.

Kenneth
2012-01-09, 09:35 PM
In reading Another Gaming Comic, there's an arc where they play 'The Index', an obvious allusion to The Matrix.

ex. http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=73

Are there any good Matrix-based games? If so, can you describe the mechanics/dice system (like D&D d20, Unisystem, more like WoD, etc.)?

Shadowrun.. look it up.

LibraryOgre
2012-01-10, 12:26 AM
I'd probably use Mage, either Ascension or Awakening. The whole "Reality is defined by you" thing fits well, and you can have a variety of specialities in your code-hacking.

Sidmen
2012-01-10, 04:34 AM
Shadowrun has 1/3 of its systems dedicated to "the Matrix 2.0" which is literally a ripoff of the Matrix your talking about (though, it is possibly older than the movies/book/whatever). Down to the sentient programs that have no other purpose but hunt you down.

Kenneth
2012-01-10, 04:28 PM
Actually Sidmen Shadow run came about uhmm. 15 ish years before the wachoiwski bros even though about their scrpits for the matrix movies.. When my friends asked me what I thought about the Matrix I replied " I wonder if FASA got anymoney for this?"

Starshade
2012-01-10, 04:39 PM
Steve Jackson Games got into some problems when one of their game devs seemed to have talked to "Real Hackers" (a few teenagers who liked GURPS, and accidentally, was hackers), and claimed the new GURPS Cyberpunk roleplaying game book, written by "The Mentor" Lloyd Blankenship, was an real hacking manual.
It was just a game manual, and could have treathened the company as far I understand, it was an game manual set for print. But secret service?
They thought it was an real hacking guide! :smallbiggrin:

Unforunately I do not know if the current edition of GURPS got any good hacking game books. The current GURPS Cyberpunk don't got the hacking rules Blankenship wrote, but got some of the cyber implant rules I think the original book had (who make me wonder what on earth USA's Secret Service was thinking busting SJ Games for writing hacking manuals :smallconfused: ). The old GURPS versions did have net/hacking rules though.