PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Cool

Burley
2012-01-09, 01:38 AM
So, I'm going to be DMing a game soon. I know, based on the players, that I'll be doing a lot of hack-and-slash type scenarios, but I want to encourage the players to move into the RPing aspect after a while. I've been thinking that a good way to do that would be a "Rule of Cool" system.

I've already decided that PCs are special. Basically, Prestidigiation is an automatic power for every character, within the realm of their power source. Rogues can automatically juggle, or whatever. Simple flourishes or impressive cool things.
Here's the issue:
I was thinking about allowing them to use their Action Points in ways that are outside of the realm of normal action point use. Perhaps, using an action point to give an Cool bonus on a skill check, instead of getting an extra action. So, running up a wall and doing a flip off of it to get behind an enemy may need an extra +5 or +10 to Athletics to actually pull it off.
Would it be dangerous to allow this?
Or, would it be better to reward a successful attempt at something cool with an action point?

Are there any character types that may not have any Rule of Cool relatable skill training?
General thoughts on the idea?

MeeposFire
2012-01-09, 01:47 AM
Doing this can cause OOC focused players to spend a combat resource on a non-combat activity (or at least usually non-combat focused). That is usually not the best idea if you can do it differently. If you want a dramatic OOC skill booster I would suggest do the same thin but create a new mechanic called a "dramatic point" or similar. This point can be used to boost skills and the like and is regained and are used just like action points. Same thing as what you are thinking but you won't give players a potential trap option of reducing their combat potential for a skill boost (often used just for flair and fun).

Burley
2012-01-09, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the input, Meeposfire. Two excellent points I hadn't thought of, in there. I was worried about giving the players too much power, not about crippling them.
How about allowing an Awesome point to be used to add extra damage to an attack? Sorta of that last-ditch effort in movies? It's risky, but if it works...
Maybe something like: Use your awesome point to add flair to an At-will power to add an extra d6 damage, but, if you fail, the point is wasted and maybe something bad happens? Not something game ending, but creating an area of difficult terrain, or something?

Lord Raziere
2012-01-09, 02:26 AM
ahem.

how about you take a page from Exalted's Stunt system?

basically, give them bonuses to rolls that are descriptive and cool.

for example, if the fighter just swings their sword, its just normal.

but, if the Fighter say, throws his sword up in the air, runs forward while it tumbles down, catches it and thrusts forward at the end of his charge into flesh of the enemy, give him a +2 or +3 bonus to his roll to attack and/or his damage for it. but only once, mind you. they have to keep coming up with new, creative ways to Stunt to gain those bonuses…..

MeeposFire
2012-01-09, 02:28 AM
Your awesome point idea is honestly done by the daily power already (or the encounter power even in some cases). That is in fact one of the ways that many 4e fans describe martial daily powers. Personally I don't think combat needs too much help but I am just one opinion I could be alone in that regard.

MeeposFire
2012-01-09, 02:30 AM
ahem.

for example, if the fighter just swings their sword, its just normal.

but, if the Fighter say, throws his sword up in the air, runs forward while it tumbles down, catches it and thrusts forward at the end of his charge into flesh of the enemy, give him a +2 or +3 bonus to his roll to attack and/or his damage for it. but only once, mind you. they have to keep coming up with new, creative ways to Stunt to gain those bonuses…..

A +2-3 would mess with the game a lot especially on something that easy to get. Heck a +1 would be a lot for that sort of thing. At best I would add a point of damage or two if you really want to add anything since bonuses to your attack scale too well.

Kurald Galain
2012-01-09, 05:55 AM
I've already decided that PCs are special.
The rules already assume that (which is why NPCs get very little in the ways of powers and healing surges).

using an action point to give an Cool bonus on a skill check, instead of getting an extra action. ... Or, would it be better to reward a successful attempt at something cool with an action point?
The former idea is not so good, as it encourages people to spend their action points on fluff instead of in combat (what they're intended for). The latter idea is great, you should definitely encourage cool stuff by rewarding it.

Likewise, this is a great idea. A reward should be meaningful, so that means (1) it must be reasonably big, so a +2 or +3 to-hit would be good; and (2) it should not occur all the time, so a player must put some work into it rather than repeating the same phrases he did last time.

This may be what daily powers are supposed to represent, but in practice that doesn't work too well (and most dailies have fluff text that is bland and/or meaningless). Of course doing this shifts the power level a bit, but that's okay: you can always bring in higher-level monsters if you need.