PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a Wildshape Question

Rasman
2012-01-09, 01:41 AM
I've hit an interesting level in our Pathfinder Campaign. My druid just hit 14th level, barely, and gained an, obviously, OP power. Now, a bit of a disclaimer, I know some of you are going to hate on me because he is a Druid5/Planar Shepherd 9, but I have to tell you, as powerful as it has been stereotyped, I held back with my Plane choice because of this and the difficulty level of our campaign actually makes this a slightly balanced choice. You can start hating on me and this choice when you have to fight CR 20+ creatures before you even hit level 14. The crazy part, we fought them and won. But not the point of all this, that was just mostly my disclaimer.

My pondering is this as follows. I chose Lamania, the Twilight Forest as my bound plane. This allows me to Wildshape into any Animal, Magical Beast, and now, Outsider or Elemental native to that plane. The entry on Planar Shepherd Wildshape reads as follows.

Wild Shape (Su): Your druid level stacks with your Planar Shepherd class levels for the purpose of determining the number of daily uses, the maximum HD and size (but not creature type), and the duration of your wild shape ability.
At 3rd level, you are able to use wild shape to change into a magical beast native to your chosen plane, with the same size restrictions as for your animal forms. For exammple. If you chose the plane of Fernia, you could become a zezir (monster manual III 205). This includes creatures whos type changes to magical beast as a result of applying a template (such as celestial or fiendish)
when you attain 9th level, you become able to use wild shape to change into an elemental or outsider native to your chosen plane, although it costs two of your daily uses of whild shape to do so. For example, if you choose the plane of mabar you could become a barghest. In addition to the normal effects of wildshape, you gain all the elemental or outsider's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities.

The bolded part is what makes me a bit unsure because of a bit of confusion from an old guide. Let's say I wildshaped into a Leonal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/agathion/agathion-leonal). What I don't EXACTLY understand is what I do and do not get.

I understand that I get their Spell-like Abilities like their constant Speak with Animals, but do I get their Truespeech? EDIT: Nvm, found that that is considered SU so I do get that.

I understand that I get their Roar and Protective Aura, but would I get their DR 10 Silver and Evil or their SR 23 or their immunity to Electricity and petrification?

With the wording of the DR, does an attack have to be considered to be Silver AND Evil or is it Silver OR Evil? I assume it's pretty straightforward on this one, but there was some question raised about this.

What about their ability to Lay on Hands as a 14th level Paladin?

Do I get their racial modifiers to Stealth?

Basically, based on that creature as an example, what abilities can and and I not use?

Urpriest
2012-01-09, 01:43 AM
What sort of houserules are you using to reconcile Pathfinder's Wild Shape rules with 3.5's? Planar Shepherd was written with the latter in mind, and IIRC they are very different.

Coidzor
2012-01-09, 01:45 AM
Unless pathfinder changed it and you're going by pathfinder on the subject, DR is either Ex or Su as far as I can recall, so you're good either way on that account, and the same goes for SR.

olentu
2012-01-09, 01:51 AM
Looking through the pathfinder universal monster rules it would seem that damage reduction is Ex or Su, immunity is Ex or Su, and spell resistance is Ex. The others I did not notice so someone else can handle them if they get to it before me.

Rasman
2012-01-09, 01:53 AM
What sort of houserules are you using to reconcile Pathfinder's Wild Shape rules with 3.5's? Planar Shepherd was written with the latter in mind, and IIRC they are very different.

It is pretty much 'by the book' so to speak. If the book says 'You get X, Y, and Z' from this class, then you get X, Y, and Z.

The big difference is the fact that I don't gain the physical scores of the creatures, which I'm not terribly worried about since I already understand that I don't gain those features. I'm mostly concerned with what is constituted as Ex, Su, and Sp. Simply because this tells me what abilities of the creature are open to me, but not everything is always labeled as such, thus why I'm asking. Particularly I was wondering about the SR, DR and Immunities.

Looking through the pathfinder universal monster rules it would seem that damage reduction is Ex or Su, immunity is Ex or Su, and spell resistance is Ex.

Ah, posted that while I was posting, so I didn't quite catch it. I didn't even think to look there, truth be told.

Oh my...everything is pretty much Ex, Su, or Sa...oh my...

I just saw that the ability to Lay on Hands as a Paladin is considered SQ, Special Quality I think, so that would not be available, unless I'm not seeing it properly.

Coidzor
2012-01-09, 03:12 AM
With the wording of the DR, does an attack have to be considered to be Silver AND Evil or is it Silver OR Evil? I assume it's pretty straightforward on this one, but there was some question raised about this.

I believe it's only OR silver if it says DR X/Evil or Silver, but, again, pathfinder may have played around with this. Sadly, the general pfsrd page on DR seems to be silent on such cases.

What about their ability to Lay on Hands as a 14th level Paladin?
I am inclined to say, yes. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin#TOC-Lay-On-Hands-Su-) Lay On Hands is SU in both systems. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm#layonHands)

Do I get their racial modifiers to Stealth?

Now this one is definitely trickier. I don't even recall where to look for that, sorry.