PDA

View Full Version : Ways to gain immunity to fire and acid. (3.x)

blackmage5242
2012-01-09, 02:11 AM
Except for going epic, what are the ways to gain both immunity to acid and fire, best if it comes from class features or feats.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-09, 02:16 AM
The traditional method is half-black dragon war troll...

Andion Isurand
2012-01-09, 02:22 AM
There's a spell in Sandstorm, Mantle of the Fiery Spirit, that permanently gives the fire subtype.

Clr 9, Drd 8

5k gp fire opal material component
10k exp cost

Thurbane
2012-01-09, 02:31 AM
Dragon Shaman (Brass or Gold) 9 with the Saint Template? Also immune to Cold and Electricity.

Alleran
2012-01-09, 02:39 AM
There's a spell in Sandstorm, Mantle of the Fiery Spirit, that permanently gives the fire subtype.

Clr 9, Drd 8

10k exp cost
You can also get the subtype with a Savage Species ritual.

And there's an artifact (Afelbain's Gem) which will give you the subtype plus a 3/day breath weapon if you use it, incorporating the gem into yourself. It's the only artifact I can recall offhand that has a specific monetary worth included (20,000gp). There are two gems, one for Fire and one for Cold.

blackmage5242
2012-01-09, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the fast replies, rituals seems to be what i need, is there such thing as acid subtype?

Crasical
2012-01-09, 02:48 AM
10 levels of Elemental Savant (Earth) + Fire Subtype ritual? You'd end up a kind of lava elemental though.

Hirax
2012-01-09, 02:52 AM
If this is for what I think it is, you should probably beware searing spell, a metamagic feat which causes fire damage to ignore fire resistance and still do half damage to creatures immune to fire.

Crasical
2012-01-09, 02:55 AM
If this is for what I think it is, you should probably beware searing spell, a metamagic feat which causes fire damage to ignore fire resistance and still do half damage to creatures immune to fire.

...What book is that from? And what +x of metamagic is it? Is it better than Consecrate Spell?

candycorn
2012-01-09, 02:58 AM
The ideal is shapechange into a Crystalline Troll, then get sonic immunity. That way, you get to ignore searing spell, also.

MeeposFire
2012-01-09, 02:59 AM
...What book is that from? And what +x of metamagic is it? Is it better than Consecrate Spell?

I think it is from sandstorm I think and it is a +1 if I recall correctly. I remember trying to use in conjunction with a silver pyromancer back in the day.

olentu
2012-01-09, 03:00 AM

Searing spell is from sandstorm and is as I recall a +1 cost.

Hirax
2012-01-09, 03:01 AM

+1, it's from Sandstorm. I'm not sure I'd call it better than consecrate spell, it's just different, both feats have niche uses. That said, searing spell is more likely to make it on a blaster's character sheet than consecrate spell.

Venger
2012-01-09, 03:05 AM

Clr 9, Drd 8

10k exp cost

you are correct, except the xp cost is 2k, not 10k.

an easy way to gain immunity to acid is to apply the acid-born template from dungeonscape. very cool, fun template that grants not only immunity to acid damage, but also imbues any natural attacks you may have with 1d6 acid damage. depending on what sort of character you're building, this may be sort of a nice bonus (for a castery type) or a large boon (for an unarmed scrapper)

the snag is that it requires the aquatic subtype. this is easily remedied assuming that you wanted to play as one of the standard races (most likely human, statistically speaking) since you can just use "aquatic human" which imposes a +0 LA, although UA does suggest a +1 if your campaign is primarily aquatic (which few are) so I don't think your DM would want to shoot you in the foot for the minor bonus you'd receive.

however, it's aquatic human, not amphibious human, so you still need to breathe air.

enter the amphibious template from stormwrack. gain the ability to breathe both air and water in exchange for -2 dex (I don't know what kind of character you're going for)

the reason for the aquatic and amphibious template is that amphibious gives a swim speed equal to your land speed, whereas amphibious gives a swim speed equal to half your land speed. if you care about the swim speed enough for it to be worth a -2 to dex, stack 'em, if the -2 dex isn't worth the extra 15 feet to swim (if there's not a lotta water in your game, which since you need immunity to fire, I gather it's not) then just go amphibious. it's LA +0, and all you need is humanoid or monstrous humanoid.

fire immunity is harder to do since not even the gods are fire immune in D&D .aside from the aforementioned mantle of the fiery spirit from sandstorm, the only way I've seen thus far is 10 levels of elemental savant picking fire as your thing, making you a fire elemental when you hit class lvl 10 and immune to fire damage.

what sort of thing are you trying to pull off with this character? is he a melee-er or caster? PC or NPC, etc. good luck with him :)

Crasical
2012-01-09, 03:09 AM
+1, it's from Sandstorm. I'm not sure I'd call it better than consecrate spell, it's just different, both feats have niche uses. That said, searing spell is more likely to make it on a blaster's character sheet than consecrate spell.

I'm playing a Druid/Elemental Savant(Fire) tiki girl in one of my campaigns, so since all my damaging spells are going to be Fire typed, I think Searing Spell is the clear winner here. I'll have to see if the DM will let me swap consecrated spell for it.

Venger
2012-01-09, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the fast replies, rituals seems to be what i need, is there such thing as acid subtype?

no, because subtypes are keyed off what element the creature is, not its damage type, the confusion stems from them being the same for fire:

air/electricity
earth/acid
fire/fire
water/cold

so there are air, earth, fire, and water subtypes.

upon closer inspection, you can only be acidborn if you are an animal, magical beast, plant, or vermin, which is tricky but doable for a PC, and you get all other kinds of wacky bonuses. there's also no LA, so there's that, although the CR goes up by 1, so that'd probably be reasonable for the LA

blackmage5242
2012-01-09, 03:59 AM
I am going for a melee character quite cheesy but he will not be doing lotsa damage just be there to be an extra target.
Going for Trollbloodied Warforge Juggernaut.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-09, 05:25 AM
I am going for a melee character quite cheesy but he will not be doing lotsa damage just be there to be an extra target.

You lose regeneration when you lose your Con score with Juggernaut... I think there's a way to get construct immunities without losing your Con score through some application of Half-Clay Golem template.

Basically, what you are trying to do is duplicate the Ikea Tarrasques, or the Legion, if you prefer.

blackmage5242
2012-01-09, 06:00 AM
Sorry what i meant was a warforged, warforge juggernaut (PrC).

Venger
2012-01-09, 01:24 PM

trollblooded requires you to be human (it also requires toughness) and is from dragon mag, which some dms don't allow. you can't be human and warforged at the same time, they're constructs, so don't qualify for amphibious, and as a result wouldnt be able to get acidborn.

sounds like fun though.

Wings of Peace
2012-01-09, 01:33 PM
trollblooded requires you to be human (it also requires toughness) and is from dragon mag, which some dms don't allow. you can't be human and warforged at the same time, they're constructs, so don't qualify for amphibious, and as a result wouldnt be able to get acidborn.

sounds like fun though.

Trollblooded unless I'm mistaken just requires that I be from a particular region which can be solved via the magic of back-story. As for gaining the immunities, I second the Savage Species rituals that grant elemental subtypes.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-09, 01:35 PM
Convince your DM there's something called a reverse troll and demand you can play one. :smallwink:

Andion Isurand
2012-01-09, 04:01 PM
If going for Troll Blooded as your first level only feat (Dragon 319 61), try combining it with the Heavy Legs construct graft (FoE 158) to ignore the fatigue Troll Blooded causes you when you are in sunlight.

Venger
2012-01-09, 04:30 PM
If going for Troll Blooded as your first level only feat (Dragon 319 61), try combining it with the Heavy Legs construct graft (FoE 158) to ignore the fatigue Troll Blooded causes you when you are in sunlight.

troll-blooded requires toughness and can only be taken at 1st level though (human prereq aside) so (strongheart halflings aside) other races can't take it

olentu
2012-01-09, 04:48 PM
troll-blooded requires toughness and can only be taken at 1st level though (human prereq aside) so (strongheart halflings aside) other races can't take it

Flaws could be in play.

Venger
2012-01-09, 05:07 PM
Flaws could be in play.

that's true.

is human a prereq for trollblooded or not? I don't remember. I seem to remember that it is

Greenish
2012-01-09, 05:12 PM
is human a prereq for trollblooded or not? I don't remember. I seem to remember that it isIf my memory serves, it specifies which region you'll have to come from, but not what race you have to be.

Demon of Death
2012-01-09, 06:13 PM
Is human a prereq for trollblooded or not? I don't remember. I seem to remember that it is

It's here, and just a region and toughness (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Troll_Blooded)

blackmage5242
2012-01-09, 06:43 PM
Yes flaws are in place so will be taking toughness, trollbloodied and adamantine armor for 1st level.

I am immune to fatigue as a warforged. After 6 levels of dungeoncrasher, will be going into warforge juggernaut.

Edit: Fire immunity is solved, now left acid immunity.

Suddo
2012-01-09, 08:43 PM
Warforged Half Black Dragon Fire-Souled Warforged Juggernaut

Warforged
Flaw: Troll Blooded
Flaw: Adamantite Body
1st: Toughness
LA +3: Half Black Dragon
LA +3: Fire-Souled
Fighter 1: Imp Bull Rush
Fighter 2: Power Attack
Fighter 3-5: (5 BAB)
Juggernaut 5
Level 16.
Fire-Souled is from Dragon Magazine 314 pg 23. +3 LA adjustment gain Fire Subtype, +4 Charisma, Leadership and a couple of other things.

That should give you what you need.

Edit: Oh crap I saw you wanted to take something else before this. Like 6 levels of dungeon crasher. This isn't Gestalt cheese is it.

blackmage5242
2012-01-09, 09:01 PM
Sorry but this is not gestalt cheese. Too much LA slows down my entry to warforge juggernaut.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-10, 07:14 AM
Can't you still throw Aquatic subtype onto the build via Amphibious then go for Acidborn?

Venger
2012-01-10, 01:54 PM
Can't you still throw Aquatic subtype onto the build via Amphibious then go for Acidborn?

upon closer inspection, no. amphibious requires humanoid or monstrous humanoid whereas an acidborn creature must be an animal, magical beast, plant, or vermin. warforged, as living constructs, qualify for neither anyway, and that seems the direction the OP wants to go in, so I guess it doesn't matter, acidborn's just the easiest way to get acid immunity and gives a little extra punch for unarmed fighters, which warforged juggernauts aren't bad at