PDA

View Full Version : easy travel for a beguiler

kabreras
2012-01-09, 02:27 AM
Is there a RAW solution for a beguiler to get some sort of easy travel like teleport ?

I know of domain adept but it need quite a high wisdom to get the spells to actually be usefull (17 for greater teleport) and i would like and easyer way to get TP style spells

Darth_Versity
2012-01-09, 04:36 AM
Well some people still debate the raw, but i cant see the problem with Runestaffs. Staffs can be be used with UMD just like wands, the only difference with a Runestaff is you need to charge it with your own spells. This puts it out of a rogues reach but a beguiler can make a DC 20 UMD to activate a Runestaff of teleport.

Darrin
2012-01-09, 07:00 AM
Is there a RAW solution for a beguiler to get some sort of easy travel like teleport ?

Draconic Legacy: Sapphire Dragon (RotG) puts teleport on your spell list, but it costs five feats. No greater teleport either.

Wyrm Wizard (Dragon Magic) allows you to add a spell to your spell list. It'll cost you a caster level, though.

Gnaeus
2012-01-09, 07:02 AM
Theres a belt in magic item compendium that lets you burn spells for teleport.

Elric VIII
2012-01-09, 07:31 AM
If you're a changeling you can take levels in Recaster and add 2 spells of level 0-8 (depending on when you take the class) from any list (arcane or divine) to you spell list.

HunterOfJello
2012-01-09, 07:44 AM
Easy Methods:

-Dominate a Wizard/Sorcerer/Psion/etc.
-Grab a Minor Schema of Teleport [Magic of Eberron] (18000gp) for a 1/day Teleport
-Belt of the Wide Earth for Teleport 2/day (8000gp)
-Runestaff of Transportation with DM approval (see below)
Price: MiC=19,000gp MiC Errata= 15,000 gp (see Postscript)

~~~~

As Darth_Versity mentioned, ask your DM what they think about a Beguiler using UMD + Spell Slots in order to cast spells through a Runestaff. I asked my DM about it while fully explaining the loops that a Beguiler has to go through in order to be able to do it.

There are strong debates about this on the forums and by RAW I don't think the Beguiler should be able to do it. However, I think most DMs won't have a problem with it considering the fact that the Beguilers in question must have:

1. The single Runestaff they want to use (Note: a character can only attune to 1 runestaff per day. this is a good thing to remind your DM of)
2. A spell slot to use up to cast the new spell through the runestaff
3. Use Magic Device DC 20 check for each casting

Runestaves also have a limit of how many times each spell on them can be used per day. It's usually 1 or 3 times per spell.

Considering the fact that Wizards and Sorcerers are the ones who can use Runestaves to their heart's content, allowing the other spontaneous arcane spellcasters to use them after going through a few hoops isn't going to upset the balance of any game either.

~~~

PS: Download the errata for the Magic Item Compendium. The prices for runestaves are all a bit cheaper on there. :D

Kaeso
2012-01-09, 07:59 AM
Scrolls and wands of teleport. People on these boards tend to praise UMD into the heavens, and beguilers have that useful little skill on their class list. Max it out, buy a wand or two and go to town. As a matter of fact, why not go all the way and get yourself a wand bracer (dungeonscape) and get yourself wands with some other useful spells like grease, fly, fireball, (mass) cure light wounds etc. etc.

Screw the rules, you're a wizard :smallamused:

EDIT: Actually, you might even be somewhat better than a wizard. Your spells are based on the one truly infinite resource in DnD: not spell slots, not hp, but gold.

HunterOfJello
2012-01-09, 09:11 AM
Scrolls and wands of teleport.

Wands can only have up to 4th level spells on them. Teleport is a 5th level spell. You could use negative metamagic spell reducers, but unless you're the Wizard creating the item, your DM will probably start throwing books at you or raise the price up a few hundred thousand gp.

A Scroll of Teleport is 1,125 gp. At that price, the Belt of Wide Earth costs the same as 7.11 scrolls of teleport. The Belt of Wide Earth lets you use your caster level instead of the scroll's and can be used 2/day whenever you feel like jumping out of dodge. Based on that, it's a much better safety net and general use item.

zimmerwald1915
2012-01-09, 09:18 AM
Depends on how easy you want your travel, really. Shadow Walk is a spell level higher, and not as convenient as Teleport, but it is already on the Beguiler spell list so you get to use it with no shenanigans.

Darth_Versity
2012-01-09, 09:49 AM
1. The single Runestaff they want to use (Note: a character can only attune to 1 runestaff per day. this is a good thing to remind your DM of)

I don't remember this rule, where is it in the MiC because i cant see it.

HunterOfJello
2012-01-09, 11:09 AM
I don't remember this rule, where is it in the MiC because i cant see it.

MiC pg 224

"In order to use a runestaff, you must attune yourself to it as part of your preparation or readying of arcane spells. You can’t attune yourself to more than one runestaff at a time; attuning yourself to a second runestaff breaks your previous attunement."

I suppose that description isn't explicit enough to say that you can only use 1 Runestaff each day since you can prepare spells multiple times per day, but I think the intention is clear. Even if a DM allows a wizard to attune to a different staff when preparing other spells at a later time during the day, they would still be limited to using 1 chosen Runestaff at a time.

kabreras
2012-01-09, 12:04 PM
But whatever i dont see how a beguiler could use a runestaff of teleport as teleport is not in the beguiler's spells class list (hell that would solve everything) and i wonder if i wont just ask my DM if he would allow me to put it in the class list with extra spell.

Dictum Mortuum
2012-01-09, 12:06 PM
But whatever i dont see how a beguiler could use a runestaff of teleport as teleport is not in the beguiler's spells class list (hell that would solve everything) and i wonder if i wont just ask my DM if he would allow me to put it in the class list with extra spell.

You're supposed to use UMD to emulate that you've got spell X on your spell list.

Saph
2012-01-09, 12:07 PM

As mentioned, just buy a Belt of the Wide Earth from the Magic Item Compendium - it works no matter your class and it's very cost-effective for what it does. (I usually get one for all my spellcasters as soon as I'm high enough level.)

kabreras
2012-01-09, 12:13 PM
You're supposed to use UMD to emulate that you've got spell X on your spell list.

Ahhhh right !!! DC 20..

Kaeso
2012-01-09, 02:25 PM
Depends on how easy you want your travel, really. Shadow Walk is a spell level higher, and not as convenient as Teleport, but it is already on the Beguiler spell list so you get to use it with no shenanigans.

Not bad, but compared to teleport shadow walk is kind of sucky:
1. It's not instant, you travel at 50 mph. Unless I'm mistaken, a light horse is faster than that.
2. You can't accurately predict where you're going to end up. You can't do this with teleport either, but I think the margin of error for that spell is quite a bit smaller.

Buying a mount gets you mileage than casting this spell. If tier 1 and 2 are banned, shadow walk is the poor mans plane shift, but only to planes adjecent to the plain of shadow.

EDIT: Nvm, a light horse travels at 6 miles per hour. I guess you Americans confused me with your weird system :smalltongue:. Anyway, this means that shadow walk is better than a horse, but that's not saying much.

Bloodgruve
2012-01-09, 03:03 PM
Arcane Disciple feat with 15 wisdom and Travel Domain

Wizard 1 (or Magical Training feat, this is debated) and Versatile Spellcaster feat. You'd have to find the spell and record it to your spell book but once you have it you could cast it via Versatile Spellcaster.

If you want to add Spellthief 1 you could take Master Spellthief and Godsblood Spelltheif (iirc, this is from a wizards web ehnancement) which gives you a domain that you can cast from using stolen spell energy, I believe I saw a domain with teleports in it.

GL
Blood~

Incanur
2012-01-09, 03:32 PM
Anyway, this means that shadow walk is better than a horse, but that's not saying much.

It's nearly an order of magnitude better than a horse. I agree it's no teleport, but that's fairly significant.

Kaeso
2012-01-09, 04:17 PM
It's nearly an order of magnitude better than a horse. I agree it's no teleport, but that's fairly significant.

Which is why I edited my post.

Venger
2012-01-09, 05:19 PM
Not bad, but compared to teleport shadow walk is kind of sucky:
1. It's not instant, you travel at 50 mph. Unless I'm mistaken, a light horse is faster than that.

EDIT: Nvm, a light horse travels at 6 miles per hour. I guess you Americans confused me with your weird system :smalltongue:. Anyway, this means that shadow walk is better than a horse, but that's not saying much.

50mph/110kph is just a touch under highway speeds in most places.

how fast did you think horses were?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-09, 05:53 PM
As mentioned, the two most effective solutions would be the Belt of the Wide Earth or the feats Magical Training plus Versatile Spellcaster. The Belt of the Wide Earth allows you to spend a spell slot to cast Teleport as though it was on your spell list, though only 2/day, plus other benefits for an extremely affordable (even negligible) cost. The Magical Training and Versatile Spellcaster trick will actually give you access to any Wizard spell you make the Spellcraft check to learn and put into your book, using Versatile Spellcaster to spend two spell slots of one level lower to cast such spells. The Belt of the Wide Earth is the reasonable solution, whereas that combination of feats can turn any set-list class (Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Warmage) into a Tier 1 caster, limited only by the availability of trainable spells in the setting.

gkathellar
2012-01-09, 05:59 PM
Get the Travel Domain from a Prestige Class. Contemplative, Seeker of the Misty Isle and Sovereign Speaker can all grant it for a one-level dip, and then it'll stick around on your spell list without any kind of wisdom requirement.

Magical Training and Versatile Spellcaster trick will actually give you access to any Wizard spell you make the Spellcraft check to learn and put into your book, using Versatile Spellcaster to spend two spell slots of one level lower to cast such spells.

Huh. I didn't realize there was a way to pull that Versatile Spellcaster trick without spending a wizard level on it. That feat also looks like it could solve (or incite) a lot of SotAO RAW debates.

avr
2012-01-09, 06:04 PM
There's the Eberron solution, get the feats for the Dragonmark of Travel. Costs 3 feats for Teleport IIRC, though you get some other nice SLAs along the way.

sreservoir
2012-01-09, 06:17 PM
there's the arcane disciple (travel) solution.

possibly extra spell, though that's argued and faq is against.

there's recaster, I guess?

rainbow servant, but then you're not really a beguiler anymore.

mage of the arcane order, after arcane preparation.

Venger
2012-01-10, 12:42 AM
there's the arcane disciple (travel) solution.

possibly extra spell, though that's argued and faq is against.

there's recaster, I guess?

rainbow servant, but then you're not really a beguiler anymore.

mage of the arcane order, after arcane preparation.

you mean there are beguilers that don't go rainbow warsnake?

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-10, 01:26 AM
Scepters of Teleport!

Canine
2012-01-10, 07:45 AM
Depending on your current level and build plans, an alternative is using the Beguiler feature Advanced Learning to pick up Shadow Conjuration, and using that to emulate Phantom Steed. This option is available as early as 8th level, if you can squeeze one level of a prestige class that advances your casting before Beguiler 7.

It might not work with your build idea, but the Shadow Conjuration and Evocation series are excellent for versatility, and might offer other solutions that some other Plagrounders can think of.

sreservoir
2012-01-12, 08:31 PM
you mean there are beguilers that don't go rainbow warsnake?

... yes. yes, there are.

although, one of these days, I want to play a beguiler 1/rainbow servant 10/mage of the arcane order 7. spontaneous from the beguiler and cleric lists, and nearly spontaneous from core sor/wiz!

gkathellar
2012-01-12, 08:40 PM
... yes. yes, there are.

although, one of these days, I want to play a beguiler 1/rainbow servant 10/mage of the arcane order 7. spontaneous from the beguiler and cleric lists, and nearly spontaneous from core sor/wiz!

You don't need MotAO to get spontaneous wizard casting, and Spellpool is a pretty awful feature in practice. You just need Versatile Spellcaster and access to a spellbook as if you were a wizard. Better to spend your remaining nine levels on IotSV, Mindbender and Contemplative (to get the Winter domain and the best druid spell ever published).

I have every intention of spreading this knowledge to the far corners of the earth.

sreservoir
2012-01-12, 09:17 PM
You don't need MotAO to get spontaneous wizard casting, and Spellpool is a pretty awful feature in practice. You just need Versatile Spellcaster and access to a spellbook as if you were a wizard. Better to spend your remaining nine levels on IotSV, Mindbender and Contemplative (to get the Winter domain and the best druid spell ever published).

I have every intention of spreading this knowledge to the far corners of the earth.

or I could play a child of eberron kobold beguiler rainbow servant.

or I could play an archivist hathran with an acorn.

tiercel
2012-01-13, 03:10 AM
Keep in mind that shadow walk, while it's no teleport, isn't actually completely outmoded by teleport either. Shadow walk will let you travel a distance and direction, not requiring specific knowledge of a destination. Plus, no annoying percentile failure roll.

Yeah, yeah, greater teleport makes up for most of that, but still. Also, shadow walk won't set off defenses that specifically target [Teleportation] (however, many defenses just lock down all extraplanar, so no luck there). And, as mentioned, poor man's plane shift.

That said, man that belt is good. Good enough that you might want to make sure your DM is cool with it rather than freaking out and banhammering it.