PDA

View Full Version : Reprints?

Hirelena
2012-01-09, 03:30 AM
Hello everyone!

I just noticed the news that the book War and XPs will be reprinted out very soon, which is awesome!

I was wondering though, if there was any plans on reprinting out the 2nd book too? I was able to buy a copy of book one, but ever since then I cannot seem to find a copy of book 2. I do not know how difficult it is to do this, but I would really super duper much appreciate a reprint on book 2 too.

Thanks so much for any feedback, and for the most AMAZING online comic EVER.

slb
2012-01-09, 12:45 PM
What I'm really wondering on my side is WHY Rich don't publish his books in digital form. That would be more money for him, no hassle to reach a minimum order quantity or the printing press guys won't commit, and happy readers who could read their favorite books in ebook format with all the additional material.

Damn, we're in the era of the tablet PC's and even Amazon is now delivering a color reader that would be suitable for comics.

I have almost digitized all my comics collection by now and will probably soon sacrifice my paper versions of OOTS to scan them properly, but if they become available on-line I would definitelly purchase them again (and probaly sold on eBay the paper version for the Durkon-like who love trees mashed and laminated).

Hirelena
2012-01-09, 01:04 PM
I would like to have a printed form though, since I have no use for a tablet or eReader. I read alot of Manga, and a lot of what I want is not digital.

Id rather have a printed form, but once again, I dont know how difficult it would be for Rich to do this.

Peelee
2012-01-09, 03:00 PM
What I'm really wondering on my side is WHY Rich don't publish his books in digital form. That would be more money for him, no hassle to reach a minimum order quantity or the printing press guys won't commit, and happy readers who could read their favorite books in ebook format with all the additional material.

Damn, we're in the era of the tablet PC's and even Amazon is now delivering a color reader that would be suitable for comics.

I have almost digitized all my comics collection by now and will probably soon sacrifice my paper versions of OOTS to scan them properly, but if they become available on-line I would definitelly purchase them again (and probaly sold on eBay the paper version for the Durkon-like who love trees mashed and laminated).

He does publish his books in digital form. You can access them through giantitp.com. Sadly, you can't access the commentary and bonus comics; those are a strict "paper perk." The whole set costs only $29.99! I take cash only. Untraceab-imean, no transaction fees, yeah, that's it.

Snark aside, he said he doesn't want to. Will knowing the reason make it any better?

Kish
2012-01-09, 03:21 PM
All the books will be reprinted at some point, he's said.

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10753359#post10753359) is his answer to why he doesn't publish his books in digital form.

Ancalagon
2012-01-09, 03:40 PM

Summary of comments from him:
1. He wants his books in printed form.
2. If he sold them digitally, it'd cut too deep into the sales of the printed version up to the point where it would not be economically possible to have paper books anymore at all (as it's cheaper per-copy the more copies you get printed).

2. contradicts 1., therefore there are no digial versions.

Going on talking about Rich's business beyond the most basic levels usually gets threads locked around here. So you are down to accepting the state as it is or get the thread locked you discuss this in.
I'm sure someone soon will post an original post by Rich dealing with the matter of digial copies but what it basically says is above.

edit: ah, someone already did. Having a post open for too long while doing other things makes it easy to miss any later posts. ;)

Hirelena
2012-01-09, 07:28 PM
All the books will be reprinted at some point, he's said.

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10753359#post10753359) is his answer to why he doesn't publish his books in digital form.

Lol Ah okay, so sooner or later these books will be reprinted out. Thank you Kish for answering my question. That is good news for me! x.x I just hope when book 2 comes out, the other books are available for purchase too lol.

I also wanted to apologize to Ancalagon since this thread seemed to go way beyond what I intended.

The Giant
2012-01-09, 09:32 PM
The overall plan for reprinting War and XPs that I alluded to will also include plans for reprinting the other books, too. The more successful it is, the sooner the other titles will get another print run, so definitely watch it when I announce it. There will be ways for even those who already own War and XPs to contribute a little bit.

However, we'll be reprinting in order of when we sold out, so War and XPs is first, On the Origin of PCs is next, then No Cure for the Paladin Blues, and finally, Don't Split the Party. (Dungeon Crawlin' Fools and Start of Darkness are still in print right now.)

(Since I've already been quoted regarding paper vs. digital, I'll leave that topic alone.)

Hirelena
2012-01-09, 10:30 PM
Oh wow, thanks Rich for personally answering my question!

x3 I know it sounds corny and Im sure that you hear it all the time, but once I found your webcomic I spent a good amount of time on the job to read it lol. I <3 it, so thanks for all the hard work!

I totally understand your plan, and will be carefully watching your announcement page for news.

Thanks once again^^

SaintRidley
2012-01-10, 02:42 AM
However, we'll be reprinting in order of when we sold out, so War and XPs is first, On the Origin of PCs is next, then No Cure for the Paladin Blues, and finally, Don't Split the Party. (Dungeon Crawlin' Fools and Start of Darkness are still in print right now.)

That's quite fortuitous. Those are the three I am currently lacking.

Raistlin82
2012-01-10, 04:41 AM
That's great news!

War and XP is impossible to find anywhere.

fuelstaind
2012-01-10, 05:57 AM
Well, I for one give my full support for reprints. And my money too.

So since it will be reprinted in the next week or so, do we know when it might be available to pruchase?

The Giant
2012-01-10, 06:22 AM
Well, I for one give my full support for reprints. And my money too.

So since it will be reprinted in the next week or so, do we know when it might be available to pruchase?

Sorry, I think there's been a miscommunication: It will not be reprinted in the next week or so; I will announce the plan that I hope will allow me to reprint it, and that announcement will come in the next week or so. There will then be a stage when that plan is taking place, after which, if all goes well, I will call the printer up and begin the actual printing process. (If all goes poorly, then there won't be any reprints any time in the foreseeable future.)

It's complicated, and I don't want to give too much away because there are still some details that I haven't worked out yet.

The Succubus
2012-01-10, 06:33 AM
I really hope it goes well - I have the non-storyline books (OotPCs, SoD and SSDT) and really hope to start collecting the storyline ones.

Just hope there will be some copys of Dungeon when War is reprinted, then I can get a twofer on the shipping. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2012-01-10, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I think there's been a miscommunication: It will not be reprinted in the next week or so; I will announce the plan that I hope will allow me to reprint it, and that announcement will come in the next week or so. There will then be a stage when that plan is taking place, after which, if all goes well, I will call the printer up and begin the actual printing process. (If all goes poorly, then there won't be any reprints any time in the foreseeable future.)

It's complicated, and I don't want to give too much away because there are still some details that I haven't worked out yet.

Glad you clarified that, because I also misread it as the reprint would be coming out in the next week or so. Now I won't be all saddened when the next newsfeed comes out announcing how it's all gonna work out, instead of the "buy meeeee" type I would have expected. And picked up a copy of SSaDT to further the cause!

Zherog
2012-01-10, 12:41 PM
There will be ways for even those who already own War and XPs to contribute a little bit.

I'm happy to hear this part. To paraphrase Elan: Yay, I can participate! :)

fuelstaind
2012-01-11, 04:49 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that misread that. And I thank you for the clarification.

Up until about 6 or 7 months ago, I had not ever heard of The Order of the Stick. I came across it in a forum about a different game. But I am so happy I have discovered this. I hhave since gotten the Deluxe version of the game and copies of all the books, except for War and XPs.

I would love to get this reprinted fast, but I know it's a slow process. Hopefully along with reprint news, we may also get news of the next book. I know it's a little early in the story, but I bet he's got some great unpublished stuff just lying around.

Thank you for this wonderful comic. I hope that they live on for a great long time yet.