PDA

View Full Version : Epic mosnters vs. strong dragon

Adamaro
2012-01-09, 08:28 AM
WARNING: Numbers and CRs in this thread are silly!

I need some advice on my setting development and here is the thing:

In Dark North live Epic monsters. Mostly they are stupid brutes, but SOMETIMES these stupid brutes roam into civilised South. These are the monsters:

Anaxim
Chichimec
Dream larva
Hecatoncheires
Phaethon
Xixecal

Ocassionaly ONE roams south.

South however is defended by this creature:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=311535

I would like playgrounds assesment weather this dragon could destroy/redirect incoming monster.

An important fact: Max spell lvl is 5. No higher spells may be cast.

Aharon
2012-01-09, 08:36 AM
Does the spell-level restriction apply to the spell-likes of the monsters?

Adamaro
2012-01-09, 08:56 AM
Yes it does. Still, SLAs may emulate empowered, quickened and other ways of strenghtening the spell by using higher level spell slots. (max 9) Same for the dragon. Large emphasis on metamagic.

Aharon
2012-01-09, 09:32 AM
SLAs don't use spell-slots?!

For example, the Xixecal has Blasphemy at will. Does it get another, lower-level SLA instead, or something like Empowered Cone of Cold at will? Or does it get nothing?

Adamaro
2012-01-09, 11:50 AM
something like Empowered Cone of Cold at wil
Exactly this. And tnx for helping me with this dilemma :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2012-01-09, 11:52 AM
Wait. If the maximum spell level is 5, why does the dragon have 20th level casting?

Adamaro
2012-01-09, 12:40 PM
CL is not limited. Best spells available are lvl 5, but CL may be as high as one wants. (Meaning there are lvl 20 wizards, only the strongest spell they can cast is lvl 5. If metamagicd, it can be a much higher spell slot)

Toliudar
2012-01-09, 01:57 PM
Well then, given the caveats that the dragon knows what it's facing in advance, and has some control over the battleground, and chooses the right buffs to persist, and that the replacement SLA's aren't any of the particularly broken spells, I'd say that the defender should be able to take the first three, would do all right against the Phaethon as long as it avoids being overrun/swallowed, is fine against the Xixecal if V can find a way to become immune to Constitution drain, and is likely to lose a straight-up fight against the Hechanocheires.

XionUnborn01
2012-01-09, 09:57 PM
Wait...wait...a dragon with VoP? But what will it sleep on without a giant pile of gold for a bed?

Adamaro
2012-01-10, 03:00 AM
Fluffy prayers of followers of Bahamut :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2012-01-10, 03:10 AM
Wait...wait...a dragon with VoP? But what will it sleep on without a giant pile of gold for a bed?

Fluffy prayers of followers of Bahamut :smallsmile:
...The dragon doesn't get the prayers, and it is extremely un-dragonly to shun all forms of material wealth. Even good dragons like to have a small command economy to tinker with on the side, or a collection of shiny magical items and coins.

Adamaro
2012-01-10, 05:40 AM
...The dragon doesn't get the prayers, and it is extremely un-dragonly to shun all forms of material wealth. Even good dragons like to have a small command economy to tinker with on the side, or a collection of shiny magical items and coins.
Well this dragon was made by PC and has a sort of campaign under his belt. It is indeed un-dragonly to not have wealth, but this dragon is very monk-ish and so it turned out like this. As for prayers - he has divine rank 0 - is sort of avatar of Bahamut in my setting.