PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief Questions

Pokelord2
2012-01-09, 10:26 AM
I am redesigning a character build I once had and need an answer to a question.

The original build had the character take two levels of Spellthief, two levels of Rogue, a single level of sorcerer, then taking Wild Mage until I qualified for Arcane Trickster. From that point on I alternated between Wild Mage and Arcane Trickster. Naturally I took Master Spellthief (Complete Scoundrel, page 79) so I could better maximize my spellthief abilities. We used a few house rules but they have no bearing on the question I have (nor at what point I could take the prestige classes). The original build has the character using Sorcerer as his primary spellcasting list (known and per day).

Now the character has died and due to the circumstances of his ressurection he has an opportunity to be brought back with a different build (I need to level up from level 1 again though). There is a variant in Dragon Magazine 353 (page 85) called Trickster which (at the sacrifice of various class features of the Spellthief) swaps the Spellthief spell progression with the Bard one and the caster level becomes equal to spellthief level (instead of half spellthief level).

The concern I have is this: Master Spellthief states "Your spellthief levels stack with levels of other arcane spellcaster classes (that is, levels of any class that grants arcane spellcasting other than spellthief) for purposes of determining what level spell you can steal." If I were to use the Trickster variant I would ditch the first level of sorcerer all-together (and gain a 3rd level of Spellthief) and use the new spell list as my main list. However, it would appear that my Steal Spell progression would not progress beyond the 3rd level of spellthief because this spellcasting is still the spellthief's spellcasting and not a separate one. On the other hand: I'm gaining levels in a prestige class which is NOT levels in spellthief to progress my spellcasting. And the description for the feat is "Your arcane studies allow you to mingle arcane magic of different flavors for great effect." so for roleplay reasons it should work, right?

My question is this: does prestige class spellcasting progression count towards determining the highest level spell I can steal when used in conjunction with Master Spellthief? Will Practiced Caster do the same?

Fax Celestis
2012-01-09, 11:22 AM
Yes and yes. A class that progresses arcane spellcasting is an arcane spellcasting class.

Bloodgruve
2012-01-09, 11:32 AM
I'm currently working on a build that incorporates Spelltheif1/Master Spellthief>Beguiler>Daggerspell Mage (prolly not optimal but fits the flavor I want).

Arcane Prestige Classes should stack with Base Classes for Master Spellthief. The way I read the feat is that any arcane spellcaster level will stack, only way to retard the progression would be by taking rogue levels.

I do not think that Practiced Spellcaster would progress your spell steal abilities. This would depend on weather stealing spells is it's own class ability or based off you spellthief casting level. IIRC it is it's own ability but I could be wrong.

There is a problem with Master Spellthief, the feat does not say anything about retaining the stolen spell. Many agree that the feat intended to allow for spell retention but I'd pass this with the DM.

I am looking at the Trickster ACF, you lose trapfinding and 2 skill ranks but gain bard spells and progression. I am taking this because I have Beguiler as my base class for rogue-ish stuff. Also, we're playing 3.P and I'm taking the Pathfinder Bard progression. For even more shenanigans I'm taking Magical Training and Versatile Spellcaster feats for a spell book and opportunity to learn and cast wizard spells (DM approved). I have not however found a way to record a stolen spell :P

Please do not take this response as law, I haven't messed with the arcane casters much so the information stated may not be completely accurate.

GL
Blood~