PDA

View Full Version : Hope for an open GSL?

harpy
2012-01-09, 12:12 PM
From the Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/9329-Speak-Your-Mind-in-the-Next-Version-of-Dungeons-Dragons.2):

"We'll have more information on the GSL as it relates to the next edition in the near future. Personally, I have a copy of 'The Cathedral & the Bazaar' on the shelf at work," Mearls said, admitting the landmark essay regarding open source software systems impacts his views on the subject. "From my days as a programmer and as a freelance RPG designer, the bulk of my work involved open platforms which did a lot for a game that relies so much on individual creativity."

This is one of the big issues for me. A new GSL needs to be a lot more like the OGL to make 5e compelling to me. If they want to control the market and content through some elaborate set of online tools that's fine, but there fundamentally needs to be acknowledgement that the system is a player's game and not just a trough that we have to line up to feed at.

I'd certainly hope that the anti-OGL crowed at WotC has learned their lesson and are going to back down. They are not supposed to be in control, the players are supposed to be in control.

Yora
2012-01-09, 12:22 PM
3rd Edition was huge, 4th Edition was okay and gets dropped after less than half the average lifetime of a D&D edition. And 3rd Edition is still strong.
I think there is very strong evidence than an open licence does not harm sales and popularity.