PDA

View Full Version : Amusing/creative Character builds and consepts

Garian
2012-01-09, 02:54 PM
I always love to hear peoples favorite builds. Here are a few of mine:

A druid build with an ape animal companion who rode his druid.

A 2nd addition spell casting Character who's favorite battle tactic was enlarging himself and then falling on monsters. The best part is how powerful it was. Greatly abusing the technical rules of 2nd addition.

Whisper Gnome + Dark Template + Rogue + Assassin = Instant Death
I can't stand Whisper Gnomes, a far to overpowered race. But this build made my laugh the first time I saw it in action.

The bardic Beastmaster: With some of the variants from PHBII and a few feats (Wild Cohort, Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar) You can have a herd of three animal companions at a very early level.

Urpriest
2012-01-09, 03:02 PM
You can build a character optimized to fall on people in 3.5 too. IIRC it generally involves a Warforged with Deformity:Obese.

SamBurke
2012-01-09, 03:11 PM
You can build a character optimized to fall on people in 3.5 too. IIRC it generally involves a Warforged with Deformity:Obese.

Jumplomancer comes to mind here.

I have a friend, actually, who optimized a character to jump obscenely high and then summon... CELESTIAL WHALES. Which is, in my opinion, the best battlefield control spell ever.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-09, 03:12 PM

IIRC the warforged part isn't strictly necessary. A easy way to do it at low level was having your raven familiar flying above then enemy then casting benign transposition with your familiar and landing on the enemy for massive damage.

Urpriest
2012-01-09, 03:12 PM
Jumplomancer comes to mind here.

I have a friend, actually, who optimized a character to jump obscenely high and then summon... CELESTIAL WHALES. Which is, in my opinion, the best battlefield control spell ever.

Depressingly, this doesn't work. Summons have to be summoned on a surface that can support their weight.

Greenish
2012-01-09, 03:15 PM
Iirc the warforged part isn't strictly necessary. A easy way to do it at low level was having your raven familiar flying above then enemy then casting benign transposition with your familiar and landing on the enemy for massive damage.Warforged is used for said massive damage. Few other +0 LA/no-RHD races have high enough weight.

Depressingly, this doesn't work. Summons have to be summoned on a surface that can support their weight.Someone used it in the designers' 3.0 game, so they actually noticed and banned it from 3.5, or so I am told.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-09, 03:19 PM
One of the cooler concepts I can think of off of the top of my head is:

A Dryad Druid with a Bonsai Oak Tree.
A Needlefolk elfslayer(They glow if a elf is present within 1000 ft. and have a homicidal hatred of aforementioned elves.)
A aquatic elf being rolled around in a barrel of water/sleeping in a inflatable pool/sleeping in a whale bladder filled with water to stop from suffocating during a dungeon crawl.(recent thread)
Otyugh Sewer Adventures! :D

Socratov
2012-01-09, 03:47 PM
MPD bard/harbinger... DM could change the personality ruling at the moment. same equipent (including vestment of manystyles giving away the personality given. the bard himself obviously knew nothing of the condition... the fun? The bard part had the buff spells, the harbinger the debuff and control spells. The harbingner had stealth skills, the bard had social skills... but the DM had the right to change personality...

pyromaniac warlock/binder 1/HFW, yeah he needed to save every bloody time he saw something... the problem? he was good and hellfire burns everything, yes, even the orphans in that adamantine building...

gorfnab
2012-01-09, 05:04 PM
I'm currently playing a Beguiler (Shining South) Beguiler (PHBII). Redundant name but actually extremely stealthy (+20 Hide check at level 6 with Darkstalker feat) and fairly effective at messing up combat/anything with spells and skills.

Urpriest
2012-01-09, 05:32 PM
I'm currently playing a Beguiler (Shining South) Beguiler (PHBII). Redundant name but actually extremely stealthy (+20 Hide check at level 6 with Darkstalker feat) and fairly effective at messing up combat/anything with spells and skills.

Question: Are you planning to get a Beguiler familiar as well?

Alienist
2012-01-09, 07:46 PM
My latest whacky idea was based on the notion of aristocrat levels and humanoid monster levels being almost exactly the same.

So an aristocrat who gets assassinated, then reincarnated as a medusa (100 - other) (yes I understand the difference between humanoid and monstrous humanoid... I'm just stretching the definition of other).

Then I found the homebrew replacement for aristocrat called noble (basically the same, but now with class features! Such as the ability to add umd to the class list), and I also found some feats (for higher levels) to beef up the gaze attack (radius increase, narrowing, boosting the DC etc)

Fluff would be an undead hunter, but he's really really good against corporeal undead (low low fort saves) but he'd be useless against incorporeal undead, which seems a nice twist to me. (well... There's always UMD)

In terms of fitting in with a party, it's a bit problematic. He only has one party trick, and if he uses it it is like a reverse aura (you don't want team mates anywhere near when you turn it on) and you don't want to use it most of the rest of the time because it means losing out on treasure...

Amphetryon
2012-01-09, 08:02 PM
Warforged Cleric with the Gluttony Domain, focusing on biting folks to death.

Viktyr Gehrig
2012-01-09, 08:29 PM
A druid build with an ape animal companion who rode his druid.

Half-Orc Druid/Bard/Arcane Hierophant with an Int score of 6 and an Ape Familiar Companion. The ape was smarter than he was, see, and was something of a strategist so he would explain his plan to his "master" and then facepalm when "master" would try to explain it to his friends.

He eventually learned Drow Sign Language so he could communicate with the party directly.

fryplink
2012-01-09, 08:37 PM
A bard that dropped pianos. He had a strength score to lift a piano in two hands, thus fitting the requirements. Boots of levitate. Unavoidable damage from a dropped piano summoned with summon instrument. We had a house rule that allowed us to cast cantrips at will.

Doughnut Master
2012-01-09, 08:39 PM
I think Gazebo Jones qualifies. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9823824&postcount=132)

Pokonic
2012-01-09, 08:48 PM
A undead that leaked negitive energy where ever he walked, but bound in a sort of hazmat-suit/ full-bodied magical armor.

With a few powerful spells caste each day and a few reflavorings, this is not as hard as it sounds. It was a fun build. Had to start a level five to pull it off, but it was a higher level game anyway.:smallsmile:

Zale
2012-01-09, 09:02 PM
Depressingly, this doesn't work. Summons have to be summoned on a surface that can support their weight.

What If I polymorph into a whale?

Alienist
2012-01-10, 12:37 AM
I don't think the restriction applies to the bags of tricks, so you could fly above them and drop horses/lions/rhinos etc on them.

Death from above!