PDA

View Full Version : Pocket golems? How would you do that?

Caiphon
2012-01-09, 04:46 PM
Hey guys! How're you doing?

I'm asking for advice here, what if one of your player's came with this idea:

"In order to take a golem anywhere, you can add 10.000 gp to it's creation cost in order to give it the pocket ability. It allows the golem to turn into a square of the material it's made of at the moment a command word chosen by the creator it's spoken."

What do you think of this? It's imbalanced? Should I allow it?

Thanks,

C.

Amechra
2012-01-09, 05:23 PM
I see no problem with this; add Shrink Item to the spells needed to craft the Golem, and it's all good.

bobthe6th
2012-01-09, 05:30 PM
that seems fun. a ton of gold for a nice trick... but you might add the fact that there must be space for the golem. summon an iron golem in a box for a surprise weapon... or at least some base rules for the eventuality. like let it make a strength check to break the object.

also, makes me think some meta construct feats might be fun. like pocket, flight, burrow, swim...

bloodtide
2012-01-09, 05:33 PM
Hey guys! How're you doing?

I'm asking for advice here, what if one of your player's came with this idea:

"In order to take a golem anywhere, you can add 10.000 gp to it's creation cost in order to give it the pocket ability. It allows the golem to turn into a square of the material it's made of at the moment a command word chosen by the creator it's spoken."

What do you think of this? It's imbalanced? Should I allow it?

Thanks,

C.
It does not sound so bad at first, but it sure can be unbalancing. Anyone could carry a golem anywhere..and that could be bad. One of the 'limits' of golems is that they are big and slow and easy to spot. And the whole combat idea of tossing a golem around and having it 'appear' right behind a foe.

So maybe a anti combat limit of something like 'it takes the golem an hour to grow or shrink'. Then it could be used for transport, but not immediate combat.

Steward
2012-01-09, 05:37 PM
I really like the idea of putting a duration for growing/shrinking. If that seems like it would be too inconvenient, you could even shrink it down to ten minutes -- an eternity in combat but no time at all if you're just walking around. An even more cautious suggestion would be to have the golem dazed or helpless in some way for several rounds / minutes after being released.

Dark Kerman
2012-01-09, 07:11 PM
"Pocket Golems, Gotta catch 'em all!"

No, but seriously, cool idea, but perhaps you need to alter the expense on the size of the golem?

Debihuman
2012-01-09, 08:34 PM
It probably should be a full round action to reduce or grow a pocket golem.

Debby

Pokonic
2012-01-09, 08:37 PM
Step one: make tiny golem horses.

Step two: expand into unicorns and pegusi modals.

Step three: open stand in Sigil selling tiny colorful golem-horses.

Step four: Awaken them before they are sold.

Step five: Profit.

Caiphon
2012-01-09, 11:37 PM
Ok... so, I should add: -shrink item spell to the creation of the golem.
I won't add a strenght check, because normal materials would have terrible DC's to unleash the golem, which i'll settle to 10 in-game minutes. Also, i'll make the golems be dazzed for a round after being released.
So far, so good, anything else?

C.