PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! It's Time to Go Wild! (3.5 PrC, PEACH Please)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-09, 08:14 PM
The Jungle Rager
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/RainbowxRanger_rXc/PowerRangersWildForce2.jpg
A group of jungle ragers of different totems

The barbarian is a strange warrior. He walks the line between man and animal every day. Some barbarians are civil, and only truly unleash the beast when they are wronged. And others...others seek to emulate the animal within at all times. These men are known as "jungle ragers".

Prerequisites:
To become a jungle rager, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Skills: Survival 10 ranks
Special: Must have the rage and damage reduction class features

HD: d12
Class Skills: The jungle rager's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points: 4+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Jungle Fury, The Beast Within I

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Lesser Totem Trait

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|The Beast Within II

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Greater Totem Trait

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|The Beast Within III
[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A jungle rager is proficient with all natural weapons he gains through this class.

Jungle Fury (Ex): A jungle rager is a mixture of anger and instinct. While on his home turf, a jungle rager is able to draw additional power from his totem. When a jungle rager rages while in a rainforest or jungle-like terrain, he takes no penalty to his AC, retains the ability to use all Dexterity-based skills while raging, and gains the Camouflage ability of the ranger for the duration of his rage.

Additionally, the jungle rager receives one additional daily use of his rage class feature per class level.

The Beast Within I (Ex): A jungle rager is able to draw upon the power of his specific totem animal in ways a normal barbarian never could. The jungle rager gains one of the following benefits while raging, based on his totem animal (His totem animal must be the same totem animal he chose as a barbarian):

All natural weapons gained as part of this class feature are treated as primary natural weapons for the jungle rager. The damage listed is for a Medium jungle rager.

Ape Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Strength score, and grow a pair of claws that deal 1d4 damage.

Bear Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Strength score, and grow a pair of claws that deal 1d4 damage.

Boar Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Constitution score, and you grow a pair of tusks. These tusks can be used as a gore attack, and deal 1d6 damage.

Dragon Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Charisma score, and you grow a sharp set of fangs. Your natural bite attack deals 1d6 points of damage.

Eagle Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Dexterity score, and you grow a pair of sharp talons on your feet. You gain two natural talon attacks that deal 1d4 points of damage.

Horse Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Constitution score, and your feet harden together to make a pair of hooves. You gain 2 natural hoof attacks that deal 1d4 damage.

Jaguar Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Dexterity score, and your teeth sharpen and grow. You gain a natural bite attack that deals 1d6 damage.

Lion Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Dexterity score and you grow a pair of claws. Your claws deal 1d4 damage.

Serpent Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Constitution score and you grow two sharp, small fangs. Your natural bite attack deals 1d4 points of damage.

Wolf Totem: While raging, you receive an additional +2 to your Dexterity score and you grow some powerful canine teeth. Your natural bite attack deals 1d6 points of damage.

Lesser Totem (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a jungle rager's animal side starts to show through even when he's not raging. He gets a small bonus based on his totem animal:

Ape Totem: An ape totem jungle rager receives a bonus to his Fortitude saves equal to his jungle rager class level.

Bear Totem: A bear totem jungle rager gains the scent quality.

Boar Totem: A boar totem jungle rager grows thick fur all over his body, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to his natural armor (This bonus stacks with other natural armor bonuses, but not other enhancement bonuses to natural armor). Treat a jungle rager with no natural armor as having a natural armor bonus of +0.

Dragon Totem: A dragon totem jungle rager is able to demoralize creatures as a swift action, and receives a +8 circumstance bonus to his Intimidate checks against creatures who are shaken by his Frightful Presence ability.

Eagle Totem: An eagle totem jungle rager receives a +8 racial bonus on all Spot checks, and only takes a -1 penalty per increment on ranged attack rolls that are made past his weapon's maximum range limit.

Horse Totem: A horse totem jungle rager is able to walk or hustle for any amount of time without becoming fatigued or taking nonlethal damage.

Jaguar Totem: A jaguar totem jungle rager's fast movement increases to an amount equal to his inherent land speed (for example, a human jaguar totem jungle rager would have had a total speed of 40' before this feature, and 60' after it).

Lion Totem: A lion totem jungle rager adds his Strength modifier in addition to his Dexterity modifier on all Balance, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, and Tumble checks.

Serpent Totem: A serpent totem jungle rager receives a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks.

Wolf Totem: A wolf totem jungle rager gains the scent quality.

The Beast Within II (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, the jungle rager adopts a special attack option of his totem animal while raging, allowing him to fight almost exactly like that animal while he rages.

Ape Totem: While raging, you gain an extra 5' of reach, and you receive a +4 bonus to your attack and damage rolls made while you are above your opponent (generally either due to higher ground or because you are climbing a tree)

Bear Totem: While raging, you gain the Improved Grab special attack. To use this, you must hit a creature up to your Size or smaller with your claws. If you do, you can attempt a grapple as a free action without requiring a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity.

Boar Totem: While raging, you deal double damage with your natural gore attack at the end of a charge, and if you hit, your opponent must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 your character level+your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone.

Dragon Totem: While raging, you gain a breath weapon. This is a supernatural ability. As a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, you can breathe a 30 foot cone of energy damage. When you gain this class feature, choose acid, electricity, cold, or fire. Your breath weapon deals this energy damage, you cannot change your mind later. Your breath weapon deals 1d8 points of damage per 2 character levels, and allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage (DC 10+1/2 your character level+your Constitution modifier). After using your breath weapon, you must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again. You are immune to the effects of your own breath weapon.

Eagle Totem: While raging, you grow a pair of wings that grant you a fly speed equal to twice your land speed with good maneuverability.

Horse Totem: While raging, you gain the benefits of the Spring Attack feat (you need not meet the prerequisites), and if you successfully Overrun a creature, you may make a single hoof attack at your highest attack bonus against him as a free action.

Jaguar Totem: While raging, you grow a pair of claws that deal damage equal to 1d4+your Strength modifier (This is in addition to your bite). Also, you gain the Pounce ability, allowing you to make a full attack with all your natural weapons at the end of a charge. (You may not pounce with manufactured weapons)

Lion Totem: While raging, you gain a rake attack. When you establish a hold with your grapple attack, you can make a rake attack that deals damage equal to twice your claw damage plus twice your Strength modifier.

Serpent Totem: While raging, your natural bite attack gains a Poison attack. Your poison deals 1d6 points of Constitution damage and repeats in one minute. The save DC is equal to 10+1/2 your character level +your Constitution modifier.

Wolf Totem: While raging, you gain the Trip extraordinary special attack. When you hit a creature with your natural bite attack, you may make a Trip attack as a free action without requiring a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If you fail, your opponent does not get to try and Trip you.

Greater Totem Trait (Ex): At 4th level, a jungle rager gains a significant boon from his totem animal in the form of a powerful extraordinary quality that is always active, even when he is not raging.

Ape Totem: An ape totem jungle rager gains the Powerful Build trait if he doesn't already have it. He is treated as being one Size category larger whenever it would be beneficial to him (such as for opposed grapple checks or Trip checks), and can wield weapons one size category larger than himself with no penalty. His natural weapons all deal damage as if they were one size category larger (this does not stack with any other such effects, unless they represent an actual increase in size).

Bear Totem: A bear totem jungle rager gain the Awesome Blow feat as a bonus feat. He need not meet the prerequisites. A bear totem jungle rager is always treated as one Size category larger when determining whether he can affect a creature with his Awesome Blow feat (to a maximum of Colossal). While the bear totem jungle rager is raging, he receives a +4 bonus to the DC of his Awesome Blow feat.

Boar Totem: A boar totem jungle rager gains damage reduction X/-, where X is equal to twice his class level. This stacks with the barbarian damage reduction class feature, and all similar damage reduction.

Dragon Totem: A dragon totem jungle rager gains immunity to the same energy type that he chose as his breath weapon.

Eagle Totem: An eagle totem jungle rager has the option of using his Dexterity score instead of his Strength score on any melee attack roll. The eagle totem jungle rager adds his Dexterity score to all ranged weapon damage rolls, and may substitute his Dexterity score for his Strength score on all melee weapon damage rolls.

Horse Totem: A horse totem jungle rager may treat himself as if he was his own mount for all purposes. For example, a jungle rager with the Mounted Combat feat who was struck in melee may make a Ride check and use that in place of his AC, as if he were a mount. A horse totem jungle rager who attacks with a lance at the end of a charge deals double damage, or triple if he has the Spirited Charge feat.

Jaguar Totem: A jaguar totem jungle rager is a master of surprise. He gains a +4 bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks, with an additional +4 bonus to Hide checks in areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth. If a jaguar totem jungle rager attacks a flat-footed creature or a creature that is otherwise denied their Dexterity bonus to their AC, he automatically threatens a critical hit (if the attack hits).

Lion Totem: A lion totem jungle rager can blend in perfectly with his surroundings when he's on the prowl. A lion totem jungle rager's camouflage ability works even while he's not raging, and when he is raging, it improves to grant him the Hide in Plain Sight ability, but only while in rainforest or jungle areas. Additionally, a lion totem jungle rager gains the Darkstalker feat (Lords of Madness) as a bonus feat if he didn't already have it.

Serpent Totem: A serpent totem jungle rager gains immunity to all poisons. Also, the serpent jungle totem's natural bite attack (no matter the source of the bite) gains three poison abilities. The serpent totem must choose which one to use each time he delivers a bite (he may not deliver more than one poison per bite). The three poisons he can choose from are: Injury Damage: 1d6 Con/1d6 Con, Injury Damage: 1d6 Dex/1d6 Dex, and Injury Damage: 1d6 Str/1d6 Str. The save DC for each poison is equal to 10+1/2 the jungle rager's character level+his Constitution modifier.

Wolf Totem: A wolf totem jungle rager can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. He takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking. Additionally, a wolf totem jungle rager receives a +4 bonus to all his Survival checks. Finally, a wolf totem jungle rager is treated as one Size category larger for the purposes of all Trip checks (to a maximum of Colossal)

The Beast Within III (Su): A jungle rager can transform into his totem animal (similar to the polymorph spell) while in a rage. His only limit on the number of times per day he can assume an animal form is the number of times per day he enters a rage, and the jungle rager returns to his own form once the rage ends. The jungle rager retains the normal +2 bonus on Will saves and –2 penalty to Armor Class while raging, but the ability score bonuses granted by rage or frenzy are replaced by Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution bonuses appropriate to the animal form taken (see below). As normal for polymorph, the jungle rager gains the animal form’s physical qualities (including size, movement, natural armor bonus, natural weapons, space, and reach), as well as any extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form (such as improved grab in bear form). The transformation lasts for the duration of the rage. Unlike with the polymorph spell, a jungle rager doesn’t gain the animal’s Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores when he takes animal form, nor does he regain any hit points when he transforms. However, his current hit points increase due to his new Constitution, as normal for a rage ability.

The changes to his ability scores are based on his chosen animal form, see below (the scores below include the bonuses that the jungle rager gets from The Beast Within I, which still applies):

{table]Animal | Strength | Dexterity | Constitution
Ape | +12 | +4 | +6
Black Bear | +12 | +4 | +6
Boar | +6 | +4 | +12
Dragon* | +10| +4 | +6
Eagle | +4 | +12 | +6
Horse | +10 | +4 | +8
Jaguar |+6 | +12 | +4
Lion | +10 | +8 | +4
Serpent**| +4 | +10 | +8
Wolf | +4 | +12 | +6
[/table]

*The dragon form chosen must have a breath weapon of the same type as the breath weapon chosen for The Beast Within II (so if you chose acid, you have to become a black or copper dragon). Additionally, the age category of the dragon (and all of its natural weapons, move speeds, natural armor, etc) is the oldest the dragon of the chosen color can be while still being Medium size. Additionally, not listed on this chart, the jungle rager still receives his +2 bonus to his Charisma while transforming from The Beast Within I

** The jungle rager assumes the form of a Huge viper

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-09, 11:26 PM
...Best example picture of a class ever. :smallbiggrin:

Other than praising that, I noticed a small typo in Greater Totem Trait's Horse Totem ability:

A horse totem jungle rager who attacks with a lance at the end of a charge deals double damage, or triple with a lance.

Emphasis mine.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-09, 11:30 PM
...Best example picture of a class ever. :smallbiggrin:

Why thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Other than praising that, I noticed a small typo in Greater Totem Trait's Horse Totem ability:

A horse totem jungle rager who attacks with a lance at the end of a charge deals double damage, or triple with a lance.

Emphasis mine.

Fixed, thanks.

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-09, 11:44 PM
Why thank you. :smallbiggrin:

You are quite welcome. I am quite a big Power Ranger fan...though only of certain seasons. :smallsmile:

Fixed, thanks.

Again, you're welcome. Grammar and word usage errors are somethings I'm good at spotting.

Wyntonian
2012-01-10, 12:00 AM
Ooooh, cute! I like this, it's bookmarked. Mind if I throw it in the "Approved" spoiler for my world project? It's in my sig, you can see what else is going on too.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-10, 12:04 AM
Ooooh, cute! I like this, it's bookmarked. Mind if I throw it in the "Approved" spoiler for my world project? It's in my sig, you can see what else is going on too.

..."Cute"?

Wyntonian, what happened to your swordsage avatar?

Er, but I'm fine with you going ahead and using my homebrew for your world project.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-10, 12:09 AM
Evened out the statistics for The Beast Within III, now using a 10-6-4 scheme, where I put the 10 in the highest statblock for the animal it's associated with, the 6 in the second highest, and the 4 in the worst. Then I add the bonus from The Beast Within I. Now, the weakest creatures (like Eagle and Wolf) still get the minimum benefit from Rage, along with some other bonuses to the scores they really care about.

TravelLog
2012-01-10, 08:34 PM
Prerequisites:
To become a jungle rager, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Skills: Survival 10 ranks
Special: Must have the rage and damage reduction class features

So far so good. I admit I laughed at the Power Rangers picture.

HD: d12
Class Skills: The jungle rager's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points: 4+Int per level

Ironically, this class may be one of the few instances where Use Rope, or rather, Use Vine, is actually useful.

Jungle Fury (Ex): A jungle rager is a mixture of anger and instinct. While on his home turf, a jungle rager is able to draw additional power from his totem. When a jungle rager rages while in a rainforest or jungle-like terrain, he takes no penalty to his AC, retains the ability to use all Dexterity-based skills while raging, and gains the Camouflage ability of the ranger for the duration of his rage.

Additionally, the jungle rager receives one additional daily use of his rage class feature per class level.

Solid start. Camouflage took me by surprise, but in a good way.

The Beast Within I (Ex): A jungle rager is able to draw upon the power of his specific totem animal in ways a normal barbarian never could. The jungle rager gains one of the following benefits while raging, based on his totem animal (His totem animal must be the same totem animal he chose as a barbarian):

Okay. Time for the meat of the class. For starters, Ape and Bear should have some differentiation. Perhaps some sort of Unarmed Strike damage or a Slam attack for the Ape? Jaguar and Wolf should also be different. Perhaps a tail slap for the Wolf?

Nice treat at first level otherwise.

Lesser Totem (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a jungle rager's animal side starts to show through even when he's not raging. He gets a small bonus based on his totem animal:

Ape gets shafted on this one. Scent/NA +2/Grapple bonus/Fast movement etc. are all better than an equivalent +5 to climb (a little used skill if ever there was one, and one which is likely already quite high as a result of Str), only effective when climbing at double speed to boot.

Otherwise nice benefits all around.

The Beast Within II (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, the jungle rager adopts a special attack option of his totem animal while raging, allowing him to fight almost exactly like that animal while he rages.

Ape gets something nice (and pairs very well with Leap Attack and similar feats). Bear is also good. Boar is a bit on the weak side since Gore isn't all that powerful to begin with. Certainly not as good as the Dragon's breath weapon, the Eagle's fly speed, the Horse's Spring Attack and Overrun...

Everything else is nice.

Greater Totem Trait (Ex): At 4th level, a jungle rager gains a significant boon from his totem animal in the form of a powerful extraordinary quality that is always active, even when he is not raging.

Ape: Solid. Boar: Solid. Eagle: Solid.
Bear: SHAFTED. Swim speed may never ever come up in certain campaigns. Perhaps Improved Bullrush and some fringe benefits?
Dragon: Very good, stronger than the rest, but not hugely so.
Horse: Also quite strong, and potentially disgusting if the lance is Valorous. This might need toning down slightly. x2 charge, x3 with Spirited Charge and then a possible further x2 from Valorous...and there are other ways to boost this. You see where I'm going.
Jaguar: Auto-crits can be heavily abused, but it takes some work. Nothing to worry about, but a consideration.
Lion: Shafted, but less so. Hide in Plain Sight is nice, but up until now there has been nothing suggesting this ability for the Lion. I feel like this is a placeholder. I'm sure you can come up with something more in line with the Lion's other abilities. Or at least add to this. Energy Immunity or Ubercharge or Powerful Build > Hide in Plain Sight
Serpent: Nice, but maybe also add an increase in the save DC of his natural poisons? Or more poisons available?
Wolf: Purely utility. I'd like to see something combat related here as well.

The Beast Within III (Su): A jungle rager can transform into his totem animal (similar to the polymorph spell) while in a rage. His only limit on the number of times per day he can assume an animal form is the number of times per day he enters a rage, and the jungle rager returns to his own form once the rage ends. The jungle rager retains the normal +2 bonus on Will saves and –2 penalty to Armor Class while raging, but the ability score bonuses granted by rage or frenzy are replaced by Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution bonuses appropriate to the animal form taken (see below). As normal for polymorph, the jungle rager gains the animal form’s physical qualities (including size, movement, natural armor bonus, natural weapons, space, and reach), as well as any extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form (such as improved grab in bear form). The transformation lasts for the duration of the rage. Unlike with the polymorph spell, a jungle rager doesn’t gain the animal’s Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores when he takes animal form, nor does he regain any hit points when he transforms. However, his current hit points increase due to his new Constitution, as normal for a rage ability.

The changes to his ability scores are based on his chosen animal form, see below (the scores below include the bonuses that the jungle rager gets from The Beast Within I, which still applies):

{table]Animal | Strength | Dexterity | Constitution
Ape | +12 | +4 | +6
Black Bear | +12 | +4 | +6
Boar | +6 | +4 | +12
Dragon* | +10| +4 | +6
Eagle | +4 | +12 | +6
Horse | +10 | +4 | +8
Jaguar |+6 | +12 | +4
Lion | +10 | +8 | +4
Serpent**| +6 | +4 | +12
Wolf | +4 | +12 | +6
[/table]

*The dragon form chosen must have a breath weapon of the same type as the breath weapon chosen for The Beast Within II (so if you chose acid, you have to become a black or copper dragon). Additionally, the age category of the dragon (and all of its natural weapons, move speeds, natural armor, etc) is the oldest the dragon of the chosen color can be while still being Medium size. Additionally, not listed on this chart, the jungle rager still receives his +2 bonus to his Charisma while transforming from The Beast Within I

** The jungle rager assumes the form of a Huge viper

First off, I was horrified reading this about polymorphing into a dragon. But then this clause made me very very happy: "Unlike with the polymorph spell, a jungle rager doesn’t gain the animal’s Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores when he takes animal form"

I'm surprised to see the Serpent get the highest Con bonus (along with the Boar). I might have gone with +8|+4|+10 with the Horse, +10|+4|+8 with the Boar, and +4|+10|+8 for the Serpent.

Still, very nice job with this ability. You should specify whether the feature qualifies for feats/classes etc. that depend on various form/shape changes.

Good work!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-10, 09:34 PM
Ironically, this class may be one of the few instances where Use Rope, or rather, Use Vine, is actually useful.

True. I'll add that in.

Solid start. Camouflage took me by surprise, but in a good way.

Thank you.

Okay. Time for the meat of the class. For starters, Ape and Bear should have some differentiation. Perhaps some sort of Unarmed Strike damage or a Slam attack for the Ape? Jaguar and Wolf should also be different. Perhaps a tail slap for the Wolf?

The point of the class is to emulate the animals. It goes against the fluff to give the creature a natural attack the animal doesn't have, and I'm already going against the fluff with some of the later abilities. This is the only part of the class that is completely one-hundred percent true to the animals.

Ape gets shafted on this one. Scent/NA +2/Grapple bonus/Fast movement etc. are all better than an equivalent +5 to climb (a little used skill if ever there was one, and one which is likely already quite high as a result of Str), only effective when climbing at double speed to boot.

Well, I don't know what else to give it. The ape doesn't exactly have many other traits to emulate.

Ape gets something nice (and pairs very well with Leap Attack and similar feats). Bear is also good. Boar is a bit on the weak side since Gore isn't all that powerful to begin with. Certainly not as good as the Dragon's breath weapon, the Eagle's fly speed, the Horse's Spring Attack and Overrun...

True, I'll add in that at the end of the charge, you deal double damage with the gore, and if you hit, you get a chance to knock them prone from the force of the blow.

Ape: Solid. Boar: Solid. Eagle: Solid.
Bear: SHAFTED. Swim speed may never ever come up in certain campaigns. Perhaps Improved Bullrush and some fringe benefits?
Dragon: Very good, stronger than the rest, but not hugely so.
Horse: Also quite strong, and potentially disgusting if the lance is Valorous. This might need toning down slightly. x2 charge, x3 with Spirited Charge and then a possible further x2 from Valorous...and there are other ways to boost this. You see where I'm going.
Jaguar: Auto-crits can be heavily abused, but it takes some work. Nothing to worry about, but a consideration.
Lion: Shafted, but less so. Hide in Plain Sight is nice, but up until now there has been nothing suggesting this ability for the Lion. I feel like this is a placeholder. I'm sure you can come up with something more in line with the Lion's other abilities. Or at least add to this. Energy Immunity or Ubercharge or Powerful Build > Hide in Plain Sight
Serpent: Nice, but maybe also add an increase in the save DC of his natural poisons? Or more poisons available?
Wolf: Purely utility. I'd like to see something combat related here as well.

The Horse ability is no different than how Mounted Combat actually works. The difference is, you can use it without needing a mount, but in exchange for not picking up a creature that would cost you 50 gp, you spent three levels in a class that gave you little else.

As for the lion, I think I'll give it the Darkstalker feat as well, to give the lion totem jungle rager the ability to Hide even from creatures with blindsight and blindsense while in a forest. That's a pretty nice ability, should bring it up to par with energy immunity.

For the wolf, I'll add that you're treated as a Size larger when it comes to Trip checks. That will let Medium wolf totem jungle ragers trip Huge creatures with their bite, which will help in combat. (This is in addition to the swift tracker thing, so it should work out pretty nicely)

And a good idea about the serpent. I think I'll add a Strength and Dexterity poison as well.

I don't like the bear idea. Perhaps the lion being a stalker is a bit of a stretch, but for the rest of them I've been trying hard to stick with the original animal fluff, and expanding on it a bit. The bears in the Monster Manual don't even have the Improved Bull Rush feat...hmm...wait, I have an idea.

First off, I was horrified reading this about polymorphing into a dragon. But then this clause made me very very happy: "Unlike with the polymorph spell, a jungle rager doesn’t gain the animal’s Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores when he takes animal form"

I'm surprised to see the Serpent get the highest Con bonus (along with the Boar). I might have gone with +8|+4|+10 with the Horse, +10|+4|+8 with the Boar, and +4|+10|+8 for the Serpent.

I use a 10, 4, 6 spread for all animals, and the +2 comes from The Beast Within I. Since the horse gets +2 to Constitution from The Beast Within I, there's no way to end it in +8 | +4 | +10. If you look at the Monster Manual entry for the heavy warhorse, you'll see that it actually has higher Strength than Constitution, so the +10 ended up there.

If any creature was going to end up with +12 Con (and there was going to be at least one) it would be the boar. The boar is the toughest creature on the list, and its totem is all about not dying. Also, again, the boar's Constitution score in the SRD is higher than its Strength score, so there's no reason the jungle rager emulating it would get stronger rather than hardier.

The Serpent build you suggest looks good though, and it fits better than the one I have, so I'll change that.

Still, very nice job with this ability. You should specify whether the feature qualifies for feats/classes etc. that depend on various form/shape changes.

Good work!

Thanks for the critique!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-10, 09:47 PM
Alright, reworked! What does everyone think?

Kenneth
2012-01-10, 10:01 PM
WOW!!

THis is IMO your best overall homebrewed creation evah!!!!

though apes getting a claw attack instead of say a pummel or slam attack is a bit odd to me.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-10, 10:13 PM
WOW!!

THis is IMO your best overall homebrewed creation evah!!!!

Why thank you. :smallbiggrin: I worked pretty damn hard on it, actually, so it's nice to hear some positive feedback.

though apes getting a claw attack instead of say a pummel or slam attack is a bit odd to me.

Take it up with WotC (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm)

Kenneth
2012-01-10, 10:24 PM
Take it up with WotC (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm)

I wish i could slap every single one of those 3rd ed designers for all the 'basic' things they got completely incorrect... this is just one of them..

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-10, 10:42 PM
Changed the Ape's Lesser Totem ability to something more useful. Still seeking PEACH on the somewhat finished product.