PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy: Semi-auto and scatter

Beelzebub1111
2012-01-09, 09:47 PM
How exactly does semi/full-automatic fire and the scatter rule stack? It's not made entirely clear.

Daisuke1133
2012-01-09, 10:04 PM
When at point-blank range (3 meters), individual shots from a weapon with the Scatter quality can produce multiple hits depending on how many degrees of success were achieved on the Ballistics Skill Test. For every two extra degrees of success, each shot generates an additional hit.

Example:

Plex the Guardsman shoots the heretic with his combat shotgun on semi auto. He rolls two degrees of success. Two of his shots hit, each one generating an additional hit. In this case he rolls damage as though he had hit four times.

MachineWraith
2012-01-10, 09:58 PM
snip

Right, that's scatter. But how does scatter interact with automatic weapons fire? I think that's the OP's question, and mine as well.

Do they stack? In that case, a combat shotgun could hit up to five times from autofire alone, in addition to however many more they get from scatter? That's a lot of hits, and an incredibly nasty barrage to survive.

Daisuke1133
2012-01-10, 10:20 PM
Like I said, yes they stack. As I said, the hits from rate of fire are calculated. Then for every two degrees of success, each shot generates an additional hit.

MachineWraith
2012-01-10, 10:55 PM
That's... obscene.

Daisuke1133
2012-01-10, 11:17 PM
Yes, well, we're talking about shotguns being used for the purpose for which they were intended. Additionally, shooting with a basic weapon when your target is that close is something of a risky proposition. It has a subsequently high reward providing you don't roll too high on the Ballistics Skill Test and their armour and toughness aren't too much.

king.com
2012-01-11, 04:42 AM
That's... obscene.

Its one of those "if you dont kill them your in a LOT of trouble" abilities. Next turn your getting caught in melee OR they have a lovely +30 to hit you. Not to mention you had to get this cross in the first place which normally involves standing at point blank for a turn before shooting.

Unless of course you started the combat this close anyway, in which case "NEWS FLASH: Shotguns are pretty good in closed, tight spaces!"