PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Sizes and Tumbling

Chaosvii7
2012-01-10, 12:10 AM
Alright, this is a purely hypothetical situation here, but let's say I'm playing a naturally tiny-sized race. A Pixie or a Jermaline, whatever you want. Now, knowing that I am incapable of reaching into adjacent squares and therefore need to share spaces with creatures to hit them, would it be possible to use the Tumble skill to ignore AoO as I tumble into an enemy square?

To make sure we're all on the same page:

"Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so."

"DC 15 - Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC."

These are the definitions as they are in the books.

Assuming there is little grey area, and because I can occupy squares with creatures in them, as long as I make the check I can get in their square without suffering AoO? Is that right?

Kumori
2012-01-10, 12:15 AM
I would say yes, you could use tumble to achieve this. RAW doesn't address tumbling into an occupied square and staying there, though it does use base DC 25 for tumbling through one. I'd likely put the DC at 20, since you aren't leaving the occupied square, just the threatened one.

kulosle
2012-01-10, 12:17 AM
By RAW i'm not sure. But I don't know any DM's that wouldn't allow it. It makes sense. I might make you use the higher AC for going through a creatures square.

Curmudgeon
2012-01-10, 03:29 AM
That's exactly what Tumble was designed for. However, as has been pointed out, any time you Tumble inside an enemy-occupied square you must use the higher DC.
Tumble at one-half speed through an area occupied by an enemy (over, under, or around the opponent) as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you stop before entering the enemy-occupied area and provoke an attack of opportunity from that enemy.

Person_Man
2012-01-10, 09:21 AM
What Curmudgeon said is correct.

There are a few Feats designed specifically for that maneuver - Giantbane, Underfoot Combat, and Confound the Big Folk. They're actually modestly good for certain combos - Iajutsu Focus or a Knight's Test of Mettle.