PDA

View Full Version : Continual blasting, a question of spells?

Wiggins
2012-01-10, 08:38 AM
I've been trying to make a spell list for a rather odd purpose.

Spell to Power Erudite with Continual Power and Swift Concentration.

Unfortunately I've lost a manifester level, but got some other fun stuff so it's okay. In any case, that's not really relevant- here's what is;

From Level 9, he can manifest a 2nd level blaster spell that although it treats his caster level as 8 for all other purposes, for damage dice it has only the caster level of a level 3 wizard, cleric or druid, and then further reduce this damage by 2 dice (though I can then re-add one of the damage dice by spending the 8th power point)

The upside is that the blaster spell is automatically recast in every round for caster level rounds, so long as he maintains concentration as a swift action. Ordinary manifesting as well from that point onwards on top of this should be fun!

What spells should he be learning?

I'm thinking anything that has either a side effect that only lasts for 1 round, or one that gets worse each time they fail a save, like the fatigued, exhausted line?

"Powers that do not deal damage or powers that deal damage only as a side
effect cannot be used with this feat"

Obviously at Level 10 I get 3rd level spells for this purpose, again calculate damage dice as Level 5 -2, and at Level 12, 4th level spells at CL 7 -2, at which point I'll probably be overburdened with options.

The choice of 2nd and 3rd level spells though, I expect to be far more limited. I'm certainly running out of ideas. Especially considering what parties of levels 9 through 11 can face.

Corlindale
2012-01-10, 08:48 AM
Seeking Ray may be a nice choice, certainly preferable to Scorching Ray with the limitations you have. It will only do 2d6 damage as far as I understand your post, but it applies a +4 bonus to the next ranged touch attack you make, so having it up all the time can give a pretty nice bonus if you like touch attack spells and powers in general.
Main downside is that you may already be auto-hitting most things with touch attacks at level 9 in any case, in which case the buff is much less valuable.

Waddacku
2012-01-10, 09:25 AM
I'm not 100% sure what Continual Power does, but Swift Concentration only works 1/encounter (or 1/minute outside encounters).

The Extraordinary Concentration feat lets you concentrate as a move (or even swift) action indefinitely, but requires 15 ranks of Concentration and checks every round.

absolmorph
2012-01-10, 09:30 AM
Lesser Orb of Sound. No side effect, but decent damage.
Hail of Stone is an AoE.
Ice Knife deals 2 Dex damage on each hit.
Ray of Stupidity's Int damage may count.
Those are all 1st or 2nd level spells.
Chain Missile could lead to some fun times.
At level 12, start using Orb of Fire (1 round daze). Oh, and there's Force Missile.

Wiggins
2012-01-10, 10:14 AM
I'm not 100% sure what Continual Power does, but Swift Concentration only works 1/encounter (or 1/minute outside encounters).

The Extraordinary Concentration feat lets you concentrate as a move (or even swift) action indefinitely, but requires 15 ranks of Concentration and checks every round.

Oh dear, I didn't spot that downside on Swift Concentration :(
I'll have to wait for Extraordinary Concentration for this to work then :(

Oh well, I guess we're starting with level 4 spells after all :D