PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Combat Maneuver Spells

DonDuckie
2012-01-10, 10:40 AM
I was thinking about what spells there are that perform or simulate combat maneuvers in pathfinder. I'm talking about spells like grease that can trip or disarm, black tentacles for grapple, forceful hand for bull rush(not sure that's the one).

So first I want to make a list of these spells, and I would like your help. What spells perform or simulate combat maneuvers? including the extra maneuvers from Advanced Player's Guide.

Second I want to estimate the power of spells that perfrom manuevers straight up. Spells like:
Disarm
school: transmutation 2 ???
casting time: 1 standard action
range: close
target: one creature holding an item
duration: instantaneous
save: none; SR: yes
this spell performs a disarm attempt against the target using your caster level + your casting ablility modifier as CMB(no size modifier). If you have the improved disarm or greater disarm feats, they affect this disarm attempt.

Disarm, mass
school: transmutation 5 ???
range: medium
target: one creature holding an item/level, no two of which can more than 30 ft apart
Works like Disarm except as noted, but with more targets.

an so on and so forth for
Trip (mass)
Bull Rush (mass)
Overrun (mass?)
Steal (mass?)
etc.

I chose disarm to be a level 2 spell, its effect seems weaker than sleep, but scales better and no save. Maybe there should be a save, but I thought the CMD of the target should determine outcome. Should it be Reflex or Will? what do you think?

Also: is transmutation the right school? it was chosen because of mage hand and telekinesis are both transmutation.

would this idea mess to much with the regular CMB users. I think it would complement them more as they can still do their stuff, without the wizard one-shotting enemies. After all most maneuvers can be undone with a move action, many spells can't.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I have read telekinesis, but was thinking about single use spells.

Corlindale
2012-01-10, 01:40 PM
Hydraulic Push is basically Bull Rush in spell form, and it's a first level spell.

Grasping Hand is Grapple, it's a 7th level spell - albeit it also has some massive bonuses, it's not merely CL + spellcasting mod.

Stumble Gap trips people, and it's a first level spell. It's got a save and a little damage attached, though, so it's a little outside the normal pattern.

Disarm could probably be fine for a 2nd level spell. I don't think it needs a save, just make it as you suggested. Transmutation fits well because it is the Telekinesis-school - though you could refluff the maneuver spells differently (if accomplished via sudden blasts of air = evocation, for example), Transmutation fits best if you keep them "pure.

DonDuckie
2012-01-11, 06:58 AM
Thanks, I really like making them evocation, it would bring something else to a Battle/Blaster mage and the evocation school.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-01-11, 07:03 AM
Heat metal is pretty much a disarm if they're holding a metal weapon

Pilo
2012-01-11, 08:13 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burning-disarm

It is a level 1 spell which do disarm!