PDA

View Full Version : Team Peregrine and THANH funeral

Sunken Valley
2012-01-10, 02:49 PM
Alas poor team Peregrine. You will be greatly missed. Your abillity to turn the resistance around was superb. And it was you who told us what the best goblin is.

This is a thread to comemorate (or revile) the Team Peregrine who we met not so long ago in strip 670. They may have had less than 10 appearances but they still left an impact. On our hearts.

Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

martianmister
2012-01-10, 03:07 PM
We still don't know what happened to the pink haired member. She/he could be alive.

rewinn
2012-01-10, 03:12 PM
We still don't know what happened to the pink haired member. She/he could be alive.

I fear it is an end to her perigrinations.

Jaros
2012-01-10, 03:32 PM

I'm going to assume s/he was the rogue spy, so if goblin spy knew about them, they're probably toast. (not necessarily, but at the moment I'm going to assume they are)

zimmerwald1915
2012-01-10, 03:39 PM
Redcloak seems to be targetting elves with the Implosion (panels 5, 6, 7) so if he had more rounds to spend she would be the next target. Besides, with Redcloak in front of her and a horned devil behind, there's nowhere for her to run, and if she tried Dismissal instead of Banishment she is massively outclassed.

In short, she's dead, Jim.

KoboldRevenge
2012-01-10, 03:52 PM
Aww, Team Peregrine we Hardly Knew Ye!

Well It was a good try but you were out of your league in this battle of, hardcore...ness.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-10, 03:55 PM
I'm going to assume s/he was the rogue spy, so if goblin spy knew about them, they're probably toast. (not necessarily, but at the moment I'm going to assume they are)

No, remember, the spy is in the tower. He probably wouldn't have had time to join up with the strike team.

Redcloak seems to be targetting elves with the Implosion (panels 5, 6, 7) so if he had more rounds to spend she would be the next target. Besides, with Redcloak in front of her and a horned devil behind, there's nowhere for her to run, and if she tried Dismissal instead of Banishment she is massively outclassed.

This does seem bad, but, from a storytelling perspective, it would be a little odd to introduce Team Peregrine and bring back the Resistance if they were all going to accomplish nothing in the end except killing a few hobgoblins. As a fighting force, the Resistance is pretty much dead, but I could see a few of the characters surviving and escaping--pick 2-4 from the following list: Thanh, Niu, Eyepatched Resistance Leader, Pink-haired Team Peregrine Gish, Blue-haired Team Harrier Scout, Polymorphed Team Harrier (?) Spy, Resistance Halberdier. They might or might not have the phylactery, but at this point TPK without resolution would seem a bit pointless.

On topic, though--

Goodbye, Team Peregrine. We hardly knew you. Even if you all die, it was for a noble cause.

Jaros
2012-01-10, 03:57 PM
No, remember, the spy is in the tower. He probably wouldn't have had time to join up with the strike team.

Ohhhh, my mistake, just checked and s/he is in the last few strips.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-10, 04:00 PM

His conclusion is logical, Captain.

Vahir
2012-01-10, 05:19 PM
The last few comics have really been making me cringe. Funny, but painful.

Math_Mage
2012-01-10, 06:39 PM
As a fighting force, the Resistance is pretty much dead, but I could see a few of the characters surviving and escaping--pick 2-4 from the following list: Thanh, Niu, Eyepatched Resistance Leader, Pink-haired Team Peregrine Gish, Blue-haired Team Harrier Scout, Polymorphed Team Harrier (?) Spy, Resistance Halberdier.

Niu's dead. 8th panel.

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-10, 06:52 PM
After-funeral party at my place.
Niu's dead. 8th panel.Shorter hair and the body armour is a different colour.

SowZ
2012-01-10, 06:55 PM
So sad. I will leave wilted, moldy flowers on your graves. Good riddance.

Okay, but they were actually pretty cool and very amusing. I laughed at the dead goblin quip despite myself.

KoboldRevenge
2012-01-10, 06:56 PM
Niu's dead. 8th panel.

Actually if you compare to the first panel the hair cuts off shorter the Niu's but it might just be falling out of sight...not bloody likely.

zimmerwald1915
2012-01-10, 06:59 PM
Mourn the longest for the ones that got no lines.

Morthis
2012-01-10, 07:17 PM
Niu's dead. 8th panel.

Look in the bottom left of 825 again. That person was already dead in that area, it's not Niu.

Math_Mage
2012-01-10, 07:18 PM
Actually if you compare to the first panel the hair cuts off shorter the Niu's but it might just be falling out of sight...not bloody likely.

Oh, right, she's the one from the last panel of 825. Nevermind, then. :smallsigh:

Outsidelime
2012-01-11, 02:10 PM
Blue-haired Team Harrier Scout,

Blue-haired Team Harrier scout from 705 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0705.html) seems to be dead... hanging third from the right in the left-side group of corpses in 825 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0825.html).

Dark-skinned grey-haired elf from Team Harrier (also seen in 705 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0705.html)) doesn't seem to be accounted for anywhere though. Perhaps he or she is the polymorphed "rogue spy".

~Josh

Mixt
2012-01-11, 02:14 PM
Funeral? Those filthy elves don't deserve a funeral.

*Dances on their graves, pisses on them, and dumps industrial waste all over the place*

They got exactly what they deserved.

Sunken Valley
2012-01-11, 03:02 PM
Funeral? Those filthy elves don't deserve a funeral.

*Dances on their graves, pisses on them, and dumps industrial waste all over the place*

They got exactly what they deserved.

True, but at least they're not hypocrits like Redcloak. They are honest type 3(maybe type 4) Anti-heroes.

Besides based on appearances, they deserve a funeral just as much as the following: ABD, Death Knight, Sarah Greenhilt, The Grand Larcenist, Sangwaan, Trigak, Horace Greenhilt, The Huecuva, YokYok, Grubwiggler, Eric Greenhilt, Dorukan and Lirian.

Plus the Wizard proves that V is a man :punch:! The other members of team Peregrine have clear genders of one man and two women. For gender equality, the wizard is a man.

snikrept
2012-01-11, 03:45 PM
The only good elf ... is a dead elf, right Commander? :smallbiggrin:

Phoenix Xul
2012-01-11, 06:52 PM
RIP Team Peregrine, but I'm far more concerned about Niu and maybe Tanh.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Peregrine. But Niu is far more important.

rewinn
2012-01-11, 08:56 PM
At least we now know by experiment that the name of a team is not as protective as the name of an individual (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html).

Team Peregrine: they died in the name of science!

jidasfire
2012-01-12, 01:35 AM
I have no personal feelings about Team Peregrine. Their commander was kind of a jerk, but that's all we really know about them. What I grieve for is the death of the hope they represented, that the good guys might achieve something and right some wrongs for a change, instead of simply losing over and over again. They symbolized that not everyone in the world was paralyzed with fear and ineffectualness in the face of Xykon and Redcloak, and that perhaps even if the Order themselves would be the ones who would have to face the true evil, they weren't alone. Now, of course, that hope is dashed, and without contrivance on a massive scale, it is dashed irrevocably.

zql
2012-01-12, 03:40 AM
We will always wonder about your class and level, brave point-eared guys.

Raistlin82
2012-01-12, 05:44 AM
The nameless (ouch! :smallfrown: ) pink-haired elf is still alive, together with Thanh, Niu, and two more nameless (ouch! ouch!) members of the resistance.

The dark-skinned infiltrator from Team Harrier might still be alive, too, whether or not he's the polymorphed rogue. However, if he his (very likely), his chances of survival in the very near future are extremely low. Also, he's nameless (ouch!).

Victory against Redcloak and his summoned creatures is clearly out of their reach (if they don't get any external help), but this doesn't mean that escape is impossible. Or at the very least we could hope they get captured and tortured instead of killed (ok, I guess I'm giving an idea to all the elf haters).

It ain't over till it's over.

PS: I think Redcloak is targeting the most powerful foes first. It makes sense: if his choice was driven merely by racial hate, as someone suggested, he'd target Azurites first. This might mean that Thahn will be his next Implosion target.

PPS: looking at it again, it might not even be that: the two imploded characters are just the first two to get his attention, with verbal and physical attacks... I guess Redcloak just doesn't think he needs a lot of strategy to beat them. Understandable.

PPPS: elves are awesome.

Sunken Valley
2012-01-12, 07:07 AM
In strip 825, you can see that the two team harrier members are dead.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-12, 07:30 AM

This has been discussed before--possibly, but not certainly.

Raistlin82
2012-01-12, 04:45 PM

No, I can't. I see the blue-haired one, but the other guy is nowhere to be found.

martianmister
2012-01-12, 06:51 PM
No, I can't. I see the blue-haired one, but the other guy is nowhere to be found.

Purple haired/Dark skinned one isn't him/her? :smallconfused:

Flame of Anor
2012-01-12, 06:56 PM
Purple haired/Dark skinned one isn't him/her? :smallconfused:

Definitely not. Skin is darker, hair is purpler, clothes are entirely different.

martianmister
2012-01-12, 07:27 PM
Definitely not. Skin is darker, hair is purpler, clothes are entirely different.

Real question: Then who is she/he?

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-12, 07:58 PM
A random elf. Who's the red-haired elf on the upper right-hand corner? Another random elf we'll probably never know.

Narren
2012-01-13, 12:56 AM
A random elf. Who's the red-haired elf on the upper right-hand corner? Another random elf we'll probably never know.

Being a random character that we'll never know has never stopped them from somehow acquiring bizarre fan bases.

Cynric
2012-01-13, 05:09 AM
Perhaps any memorial service should be postponed until we know who is actually dead. It could get pretty awkward otherwise...

Palthera
2012-01-13, 05:49 AM
Nah, it just gives them the chance to say "rumours of my death were greatly exaggerated."

whitelaughter
2012-01-13, 07:08 AM
Being a random character that we'll never know has never stopped them from somehow acquiring bizarre fan bases.
What Would the Random Red Haired Elf Do?

[grief] Farewell Team Peregrine, peregrinate to the celestial realms.

That they were true heroes is proven by the hatred directed at them by the trendy set on these boards.

Sunken Valley
2012-01-13, 08:40 AM
Screw Team Peregrine, What about Thanh?

This guy died a hero. He had 22 appearances. I'm renaming the thread!

Raistlin82
2012-01-13, 09:27 AM
Dayumn!

And now Thanh is dead. :smallsigh:
And the two nameless Azurites.
And the nameless pink-haired elf that was the last member of team Peregrine.
Only Niu is left.
And maybe the second member of Team Harrier, but it's very very likely he's the infiltrated rogue. It's also very likely he is dead by now, and his secret with him.

R.I.P. Resistance, R.I.P. Team Peregrine. You fought bravely.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-13, 11:15 AM
Nooo! Not Thanh! :frown:

...but I was right, at least, in thinking that someone would get away. It's small comfort at best, but I do feel better for Niu's survival.

KiwiImperator
2012-01-14, 02:32 AM
I'll mourn them. Deliverers of a sword of justice, upon inferior Hobgoblin scum.

In a lone, barren chasm, where the last hope of men fell,
Alone save for traces of osmium dust,
Our hero lies still, with that mustache we knew well,
Collecting the shavings of his armor's rust,

Though armies may clash, and war's thunder rattle,
No more with thy blade shalt thou deal goblins pain,
Thou sleepest thy last sleep, Thou hath fought thy last battle,
No sound shall awake thee to glory again,
No sound shall awake thee to glory again,

Yet spirit immortal, the tomb cannot bind thee,
For like thine own rogueling, who's now on the run,
Thou springest from bondage, and leaveth behind thee,
A fame which no mustache before thee hath won,

Though trumpets may call out, and mage's thunder rattle,
You hear not, you see not, you're free from all pain,
Thou sleepest thy last sleep, thou hast fought thy last battle,
No sound can awake Thanh to glory again,
No sound shall awake Thanh to glory again,

TheSummoner
2012-01-14, 02:40 AM
Thanh: As brave as O-Chul is tough and not one bit less badass.

Hinjo, you could learn a thing from those two. Clearly the sign of a great paladin is awesome facial hair. You're off to a decent start, but you're gonna need to beef that beard up if you want to get anywhere.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-14, 10:39 AM
I'll mourn them. Deliverers of a sword of justice, upon inferior Hobgoblin scum.

Very nice.

Hinjo, you could learn a thing from those two. Clearly the sign of a great paladin is awesome facial hair. You're off to a decent start, but you're gonna need to beef that beard up if you want to get anywhere.

:smallsmile:

Anterean
2012-01-15, 04:38 PM

Poor Lien, seems she will never become truly great if held to that standard.

That said, rest in peace Thanh, enjoy your eternal rewards in the here after, you have certainly earned them.

fergo
2012-01-16, 07:48 AM

:smallbiggrin: Awesome.

I still kind of hoped Thahn would survive. All the way through me reading that comic. Oh well :smallredface:.

t209
2012-01-16, 11:12 AM
Which music would fit Thanh's death or funeral?
I am thinking this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IklqPx3unjs).

Beowulf DW
2012-01-16, 03:36 PM
*words of glory, sadness and general badassery*

That was beautiful. I think I'm gonna cry...

veti
2012-01-16, 04:43 PM
I still kind of hoped Thahn would survive. All the way through me reading that comic. Oh well :smallredface:.

I have no feelings for Thanh. He's been itching for a chance at martyrdom for the past year. Good for him that he finally got it. As far as I'm concerned, he was a fine example of the Lawful Stupid (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html) way to play a paladin.

Niu, now, is a different matter. I'm glad she's survived.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-16, 05:29 PM
I have no feelings for Thanh. He's been itching for a chance at martyrdom for the past year.

Says who? :smallannoyed:

As far as I'm concerned, he was a fine example of the Lawful Stupid (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html) way to play a paladin.

You want to provide any examples for that? If you're thinking of the fight with Tsukiko, he was distracted, not intentionally being a target.

King of Nowhere
2012-01-16, 05:31 PM
Tanah had been a bit on the lawful stupid side before becoming commander of the resistance. I don't think the resitance would have survived that long under him if he hadn't progressed past that. His sacrifice was a sound tactical decision. Alas, the thragedy of character development offscreen!
RIP, Tanah. Have fun with your ex(ex-comrades) in the afterlife.

As for team peregrine, they are one of the best examples I use to say that humans or elves are no better than goblins. IIf they kill goblin because the only good goblin is a dead one, how can they complain if the goblins enslave them? They were high (or mid high) level adventurers expecting to figth 1hd mooks. Redcloak turned the table: to him, THEY were the mooks. I say, they got what they deserved.

Blas_de_Lezo
2012-01-16, 05:40 PM
About Thanh: of course, he died as a hero, no doubt. However...

"Many die like a hero, few live as one".

Flame of Anor
2012-01-16, 06:00 PM
About Thanh: of course, he died as a hero, no doubt. However...

"Many die like a hero, few live as one".

You know what they also say? De mortui nil nisi bonum.

Blas_de_Lezo
2012-01-16, 06:38 PM

Also saepe est etiam sub palliolo sordido sapientia. :smallwink:

veti
2012-01-16, 08:04 PM
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Or to put it another way: "if you said that in English, everyone would see how dumb it really is".

Kish
2012-01-16, 08:44 PM
Intendum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.

Adrayll
2012-01-16, 09:42 PM
Not to interrupt the latin-duel, but I missed the boat on why everyone hates Team Peregrine. Anyone care to catch me up on that?

Pterocards
2012-01-16, 09:48 PM
(Plus more awesome words)

That's awesome! Thanh was one of my favourite paladins :smallfrown:
May he rest in peace.....Although being crushed to death by a giant living hunk of osmium is pretty awesome.....
"This is a cool way to die!!!!!"-Fry from Futurama.

ti'esar
2012-01-16, 10:29 PM
Not to interrupt the latin-duel, but I missed the boat on why everyone hates Team Peregrine. Anyone care to catch me up on that?

This strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0707.html) (Although obviously it's not "everyone", and the majority of the debate is specifically about the elf commander rather than Team Peregrine as a whole. But let's not start all that again.)

Anyway, anyone feel like translating that argument above into the vernacular for the rest of us?

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 11:50 PM
Funeral? I'm pretty sure those guys are coming back as undead minions.

Mutant Sheep
2012-01-16, 11:54 PM
Funeral? I'm pretty sure those guys are coming back as undead minions.

The massive pile of rocks and stones over their corpses says differently.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-17, 12:21 AM
Anyway, anyone feel like translating that argument above into the vernacular for the rest of us?

Of course.

"[Say] nothing but good of the dead."

Also saepe est etiam sub palliolo sordido sapientia. :smallwink:

"Often wisdom is [found] even under a dirty cloak."

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

"Whatever is said in Latin looks lofty."

Intendum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.

Assuming you mean interdum,

"Sometimes I'm taken with greed for the large parts of Europe which are to be won."