PDA

View Full Version : New Vestige (Faerun, 3.P)

peacenlove
2012-01-10, 02:51 PM
Was planning to brew this vestige for ages now, however now I found the time to actually polish it.

Shadowkings, the Dark 13

Level: 7

Binding DC: 30

Special Requirement: You must bind this vestige in the Plane of Shadows, placing a book with 13 ebon pages in the binding circle as a focus. Construction of the book costs 500 gp and it is not consumed by the binding. No area with bright light or darkness should be present in a 100' area.

Sign: Your eyes and eyebrows disappear, without altering your vision or hampering you in any way.

Legend: After Lord Ao created Realmspace, there was a period of timeless nothingness, a misty realm of shadows before light and dark were separate entities. Within this dim chaos stalked 13 Shadowkings, progenitors of shadow magic and children of the Plane of Shadows itself.
The Shadowkings were amoral travelers who preferred night to blinding light and who stalked the Realms seeking to meld light and dark into shadowy chaos once again. They shared Shar’s plans and motivation; however Shar's plot to reform the world after her own desires was undone when Azuth, the High One found a way to imprison the Shadowkings in a pocket-sized crystal sphere located beyond the edges of the world by creating the illusion of a realm of shadows. The Lords of Shadow were drawn to investigate, and before they discovered the trick, Azuth imprisoned the Shadowkings with the Shadowstar, a key of shadows forged by Gond. The High Lord then hurled the key into the endless reaches of the cosmos allowing life to flourish on in Chauntea's loving hands.
While the Shadowkings exist now as vestiges, they created many servitor races, which they named Shadevari. They seek to release their kings with fervor rarely seen in sentient creatures.

Manifestation: A book opens and each page of the book flips, revealing a terrible shadow, just barely comprehensible to your senses. When the last page turns, you are filled with dread, as you feel the cold void, from which the shadows emerged.

Influence: You seek to favor and promote the use of darkness. If any task needs to be done, you perform it at night. If you need to be somewhere, you always choose the darkest spot to be. You believe that not being able to perceive color or embrace the light of the sun is a gift and you prefer to blind or otherwise hamper the vision of creatures if you are able, without necessarily resorting to violence (blindfolds, magical measures as darkvision and blindsight or even simple preaching are sufficient, to name but some methods).

Granted Abilities: The Shadowkings grant their binder their amoral nature, mastery of shadow magic and limited control over the minions of shadow.

Incomprehensible: You are treated as having no alignment for the duration of the pact if that would be advantageous to you and become immune to intelligence and wisdom drain and damage.
This ability also causes divination effects targeted at you to fail and deals 8d8 cold damage and feeblemind (as the spell) at the caster of the effect. Cold resistance (but not Immunity) is ignored and a will save reduces the damage dealt by half and negates the feeblemind effect.
If the caster of the effect is an unattended object (for example a trap), it is instead suppressed for 1 round, as if a successful dispel magic was cast at it.

Boon of the Creator: Creatures other than you in a 10’ radius aura have an ability score of your choice either increased or decreased by 2 points (You choose for each creature affected). This is treated as an insight bonus or unnamed penalty, respectively.
In addition you can raise or lower one of the following abilities to affected creatures: Darkvision 60’, Blindsense 10’, 1 attack / round at full attack (minimum of 1 attack) or any Damage Reduction by 5 points (But not lower to zero).
This ability is active as long as you are bound to the Shadowkings and you decide at the start of your turn which bonuses or penalties this aura applies.

Endless Night: Once every 5 rounds you can cast one of the following mysteries as a supernatural ability: Afraid of the dark, shadow evocation, shadow conjuration or fearful gloom.

Child of Shadow: While bound to the Shadowkings you manipulate the essence of the Plane of Shadow, as well as its numerous memories of the dead. Creatures who originate from the Plane of Shadow, deathless and undead do not attack you without provocation and start with an attitude of no less than indifferent towards you. This attitude improves to friendly if they share the same alignment with you.
In addition spells and effects with the [Shadow] descriptor have only a 50% chance to affect you.

DracoDei
2012-01-10, 03:35 PM
Special Requirement: You must bind this vestige on the Plane of Shadow,
The book is trivial, but the location requirement is actually one pof the most significant special requirements I have seen, since it will usually require a spell or two from an ally to fulfill.

Influence: <Snip> You believe that not being able to perceive light is a gift and you prefer to blind or otherwise hamper the vision of creatures if you are able.
This needs to be clarified... it sounds like you will try to blind yourself and your allies (and random passers by, but that is actually a more reasonable influence penalty).

Incomprehensible: You are treated as having no alignment for the duration of the pact and become immune to intelligence and wisdom drain and damage.
This ability also causes divination effects targeted at you to fail and deals 8d8 cold damage and feeblemind (as the spell) at the source of the effect. Hardness is ignored and a will save reduces the damage dealt by half and negates the feeblemind effect.
This should be "to the caster" or some such, rather than "at the source" unless you really want it to be destroying helms of telepathy (which don't even have hitpoints listed in the PHB or DMG) and such.

In addition you can raise or lower one of the following abilities to affected creatures: Darkvision 60’, Blindsense 10’, 1 attack / round at full attack (minimum of 1 attack) or DR 5/-.
"Raise or Lower" is awkward phrasing, although I understand what you are saying... the DR 5/- should be able to reduce any DR (but never below zero).

This ability is active as long as you are bound to the Shadowkings and you decide at the start of your turn which bonuses or penalties this aura applies.
A bit time-intensive in the middle of combat, but otherwise OK.

This attitude improves to friendly if they share the same alignment with you.
Technically you have no alignment while bound to this vestige... rephrase this?

peacenlove
2012-01-10, 11:58 PM
The book is trivial, but the location requirement is actually one pof the most significant special requirements I have seen, since it will usually require a spell or two from an ally to fulfill.

This is a 7th level vestige obtainable at 13th-15th level (I think) and Ignore Special Requirement is a Bonus feat. Ahazu had a similar special requirement and it was a 3rd level Vestige. However I have found a workaround for this

This needs to be clarified... it sounds like you will try to blind yourself and your allies (and random passers by, but that is actually a more reasonable influence penalty).

I was thinking more like putting them blindfold or preaching about the superiority of darkness, however I will expand on this

This should be "to the caster" or some such, rather than "at the source" unless you really want it to be destroying helms of telepathy (which don't even have hitpoints listed in the PHB or DMG) and such.

My aim is to destroy objects, however now that I think about it, this has all the problems Improved Sunder does.

"Raise or Lower" is awkward phrasing, although I understand what you are saying... the DR 5/- should be able to reduce any DR (but never below zero).

To be frank I couldn't find a better phrasing for this host of abilities and I have 4-5 months to open a D&D book due to army obligations. A better wording would be welcome!

A bit time-intensive in the middle of combat, but otherwise OK.

In my experience, players usually pick what they think its best in the first round in combat and leave it there.

Technically you have no alignment while bound to this vestige... rephrase this?

Changing both abilities.

My answers in blue, thanks for the PEACH :smallsmile:

DracoDei
2012-01-11, 12:06 AM
I actually LIKED the special requirement...

peacenlove
2012-01-11, 12:16 AM
I actually LIKED the special requirement...

I misunderstood and reverted it back in its original state.
I forgot to mention that all the information for this Vestige was copied from Villain's Lorebook and Faiths and Avatars (Yes that's all you can find for the progenitors of shadow magic, thanks TSR :smallannoyed:), 2 books that were downloadable for free in Wizard's website.

DracoDei
2012-01-13, 09:18 AM
Villain's Lorebook and Faiths and Avatars (Yes that's all you can find for the progenitors of shadow magic, thanks TSR :smallannoyed:), 2 books that were downloadable for free in Wizard's website.
Links please?