PDA

View Full Version : Bomb-Lobbing Alchemist

Mockingbird
2012-01-10, 03:11 PM
Okay, so in Pathfinder I'm playing as an Alchemist in an ongoing game, and I've just hit 5th level. I'm doing pretty crazy stuff because I'm focusing on Bombs, which do a ridiculous amount of damage for my level, with 3d6 (w/o explosive/acid bombs, which I use almost all the time) +7 in a very large radius, 14 times per day. But the problem is, where do I go from here? I don't want to be just bombing things the entire game. At 5th level, my attack strategy is "Bomb.. Bomb.. Bomb.." But in 15 levels, I'll probably be doing the same thing. Is there any way to make it more varied?

Binks
2012-01-10, 03:25 PM
You want to be more unique than basically playing The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight?

Alright. What about different types of bombs? I see that Pathfinder allow you to pick up blinding/concussive/confusion bombs (to just use a few examples from the top of the list). Those would add some variety. Confusion in particular could be a lot of fun, as would Blinding. It would also give you some means to fight enemies immune to fire/acid, so there's that.

*Not super familiar with PF, but just had to pop in based on the title.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 05:33 PM
Well, at level 6 you can be the flying bomber.

Alchemists are great for poison use, because they can get multiple uses out of single dose.

Use of the Feral Mutagen discovery combined with some of your quality buffing formulae can turn you into a credible melee character, particularly at low levels (unless you did something like dump strength and con)

With the infusion discovery, you can be an excellent buffer (since your companions can carry around the infusion and buff themselves with their own actions instead of waiting for you).

Riverdance
2012-01-10, 08:30 PM
You could take a level of rogue (to get the plus three for class skill) and double as a trap detector. Then when you found a trap you could blow it up.

Machinekng
2012-01-10, 11:44 PM
I've made a Master Bombardier PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12459558&postcount=110)that focuses on the bombing aspect of the alchemist. It's still a work in progress, as I need to add more class-specific bomb discoverys, but I think it adds a bit of versitility to bomb-lobbing.

I think my favoite part of the class is the Omega Bomb capstone.

grarrrg
2012-01-11, 12:06 AM
(emphasis mine)

I've made a Master Bombardier PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12459558&postcount=110)that focuses on the bombing aspect of the alchemist. It's still a work in progress, as I need to add more class-specific bomb discoverys, but I think it adds a bit of versitility to bomb-lobbing.

I think my favoite part of the class is the Omega Bomb capstone.

First thing to come to mind?
BWAH?

There are currently 60 Alchemist Discoveries (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries) (on the pfsrd anyway)
Of those 60, _26_ are bomb related, and of those 26, _18_ are "you can only apply 1 of these effects".

Kind of silly really...

Bovine Colonel
2012-01-11, 12:08 AM
Okay, so in Pathfinder I'm playing as an Alchemist in an ongoing game, and I've just hit 5th level. I'm doing pretty crazy stuff because I'm focusing on Bombs, which do a ridiculous amount of damage for my level, with 3d6 (w/o explosive/acid bombs, which I use almost all the time) +7 in a very large radius, 14 times per day. But the problem is, where do I go from here? I don't want to be just bombing things the entire game. At 5th level, my attack strategy is "Bomb.. Bomb.. Bomb.." But in 15 levels, I'll probably be doing the same thing. Is there any way to make it more varied?

Keep in mind that 3d6+7 averages out to 17.5, which is by no means ridiculous at level 5. Also, remember that anyone not directly hit by the bomb takes the minimum possible damage, and even then they get a Reflex save.

Machinekng
2012-01-11, 12:19 AM
(emphasis mine)

First thing to come to mind?
BWAH?

There are currently 60 Alchemist Discoveries (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries) (on the pfsrd anyway)
Of those 60, _26_ are bomb related, and of those 26, _18_ are "you can only apply 1 of these effects".

Kind of silly really...

Well, thclas does have a feature that allows you to use multiple "you can only apply 1 of these effects" discoveries, and the class already has access to all those discoveries, yes, I do need to add more original discoveries.

SamBurke
2012-01-11, 12:25 AM

Use different bombs.

Entagling, Concussive, etc. I especially love Entagling. You can also buff yourself and your party members.

EDIT: Other good ones: Blinding Bomb, Poison Bomb, COnfusion Bomb, Smoke Bomb, Inferno Bomb, Fast Bomb (MOAR BOMBS!), Dispelling Bomb.

Menteith
2012-01-11, 03:22 AM

An alternate build can be based around Explosive Missile. It's reasonably strong, especially if you're a Grenadier (for Alchemical Weapon), and gets Confusion Bomb at level 8 instead of Fast Bombs, and doesn't require Two-Weapon Fighting or Rapid Shot. You also get to use the weapon's critical strike chance for your Missile, can use Seeking to remove the need for Precise Shot, gain superior range, and will always have a move action available (since you can't Full Attack with a Missile). You play more like a Gish - you have limited spellcasting, can use elemental sources to enhance your ranged attacks, and can still beat people up with a normal weapon. On the downsides, you have to hit AC instead of Touch AC and lack the raw power that a Fast Bomber can put out in a round.

Alternately, have a decent bomb selection. Bombers who have "core" bomb Discoveries (I'd say Tanglefoot Bomb, Smoke/Stink Bomb, and Confusion Bomb...arguably Force Bomb) are one of the best controllers, both single target and AOE. You took some of the weaker discoveries with Explosive and Acid, but just picking up Tanglefoot Bomb at 6 and Confusion at 8 will let you contribute much more to a fight than just raw damage. This build benefits significantly from having Fast Bombs as well.

Chained Birds
2012-01-11, 07:00 AM
Delayed Bomb at level 8 would be good when combined with the feat Remote Bomb or Implant bomb. There is also a 3rd party feat called Suicide Bomber which pretty much uses all your bombs at once against a single enemy, but you take the damage as well,mbut no save.

You could also grow another arm or two to aid in various things.

Menteith
2012-01-11, 12:07 PM
You could also grow another arm or two to aid in various things.

"The arm does not give the alchemist any extra attacks or actions per round..."

The Vestigial Arm Discovery is really not worth it for a Bomber. You're already really discovery starved as it is. You want Infusion, Tanglefoot, Smoke, Stink, Force, and Sticky Bomb, Fast Bombs, and all of the utility Discoveries like Wings or Preserve Organs.

Cieyrin
2012-01-11, 12:11 PM
There's still room to go Master Chymist to give you something to do besides blowing **** up. It keeps boosting bombs while you get better and better at ripping off faces.

panaikhan
2012-01-12, 08:27 AM
My Alchemist took a side-step into Musket Master.
Good HP, full BAB, firearms are considered touch attacks, and if you take the Discovery, a much increased bomb range.
the BAB helps with the Vital Strike (I think) feat chain, which adds dice damage to your bombs (one dice per feat)