PDA

View Full Version : Mouseguard: What should a newb know?

Sorcerer Blob
2012-01-10, 05:48 PM
So, I purchased the Mousguard Box Set today from a FLGS (though looking at it $25 off at Amazon is making me rethink this...) and am stoked. I've been staring at the boxed set and hearing about Mouseguard for a few years now and finally took the plunge.

So basically as is on the tin, what should I know? I don't know anything about the Burning Wheel system, I am familiar with the Mouseguard setting (I own the first graphic novel, after all,) but that's about it.

Thanks in advance, Playground!

Totally Guy
2012-01-10, 06:31 PM
Mouse Guard is a very tight game with a surprising amount of depth. Parts of the system interact with other parts of the system in ways that aren't immediately obvious.

My recommendation is to play it as written at least at first. Only hack it once you're familiar with how it all works.

If you are a GM my advice is to explain to the players a core concept of the game: When you're on a mission that means that the play is focussed on the mission and it's not the time for doing other stuff. That stuff is for the downtime during the player's turn. The players need understand and buy into this concept or they will become frustrated.

If you are a player my big advice is to learn to use Traits against yourself regularly. It makes your mouse feel more real and doing so allows you to be more proactive in the increased screen time you'll get.

I'm a big fan of this game.

Kerrin
2012-01-11, 01:11 PM
I own the boxed set and have read trough the rules in detail once (still need to do my homework with a second pass). Very intriguing!

One feeling I got though, is that it seems that a session would end up being rather short as compared to, for example, a D&D session because the missions seem to be very focused and directed. Is this how it is in playing?

I'm really interested in giving this game a try at the table once I've done all my homework understanding it in enough detail to be able to run it effectively and help the players get into it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-01-11, 01:34 PM
One feeling I got though, is that it seems that a session would end up being rather short as compared to, for example, a D&D session because the missions seem to be very focused and directed. Is this how it is in playing?

The way the game ideally plays is this:

GM's Turn: The players get set out on a mission, and arrive at their goal. Often, further complications will be introduced, and this does not necessarily mean that the entire mission is finished, just the initial task set out at the start. For instance, one of the sample missions instructs the players to "find the grain merchant who disappeared". When you find the merchant, the mission is over, but that doesn't mean that the "adventure", per se, is done. This is also the part of the game where the GM is literally instructed to beat the crap out of the characters. :smallbiggrin:

Players' Turn: The players may recover from their GM Turn beating, as well as choosing the direction of play, by expending "checks" earned in the GM's Turn. This may involve them making a few tests.

GM's Turn: The players are given new obstacles to overcome, and arrive at their new objective. Again with the beating-up by the GM. :smallwink:

Players' Turn: The players may again recover, and if they have enough checks, make initiative of their own.

And it continues like that, until you've finished that particular plot arc. Which shouldn't take more than a few such exchanges. I think that session length can vary, so you should have a backup filler activity if you finish early.

Kerrin
2012-01-11, 03:31 PM
The way the game ideally plays is this:
Thank you for the explanation, CarpeGuitarrem.

For some reason I was thinking a session was just one GM/Player pair, but potentially stringing multiples together depending upon length would work.

I suppose it'd be possible to have multiple missions that when taken together make up an overall adventure or story arc. In this situation each mission is a bit like an Act in a play with the overall adventure/story representing the total Play.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-01-12, 08:43 PM
I suppose it'd be possible to have multiple missions that when taken together make up an overall adventure or story arc. In this situation each mission is a bit like an Act in a play with the overall adventure/story representing the total Play.
The wording of "mission" can be a bit misleading, but think of it like this:

A mission consists of a goal you're trying to achieve, and then everything you do to complete that goal. i.e., find the grain merchant, for the sample mission. The next mission can easily spin out of any complications generated when you complete the goal. So, whilst Gwendylon may assign one thing, you trying to complete that one thing will often lead to another thing that needs completing before you return to Lockhaven to report back.

So, it's not exactly like dividing an adventure up into missions. Rather, it's spinning an adventure off of a single mission.

Kerrin
2012-01-13, 12:15 AM
Ah, okay, so one mission can spawn another mission.

horseboy
2012-01-19, 06:36 AM
If there's more than three players, the rest of you sit around either with your thumbs up your rears or cutting yourself crying about it so you can do something later on.

Totally Guy
2012-01-19, 07:13 AM
The rules say that you split into 2 teams.