PDA

View Full Version : feat for 9th level chameleon

Venger
2012-01-10, 06:22 PM
my character hit 9th level and it's feat time. given the chameleon's jack-of-all-trades nature, I'm a little uncertain of what to do with my feat, especially since with my free-floating feat, I don't need any sort of situational feat and would prefer one that's available all the time, useful in all circumstances. I'm factotum 5/chameleon 4 and the party consists of a psionic rogue with the psionic shot chain, a dervish, a bard/ranger, a dragon cheese kobold sorcerer, and a blaster generalist wiz/mage of the arcane order.

the feats I've got already are:

able learner (unfortunately worthless for factoti, but a prereq for chameleon)

font of inspiration (only once, since I'm not figuring on going back in for more factotum lvls and want a bigger insp pool. combat in the game's not hard enough to need cunning surge without making things too easy)

knowledge devotion (boost to fightan, great with all knowledges as class skills)

obtain familiar & stitched flesh familiar (raven for talking/wands)

mentor (craftsman) for RP stuff and extra money

I was thinking a metamagic feat so that way I could use my free-floating feat as other metamgic feats that require "any other metamagic feat" which is about all of them, which could be cool, but only a couple can be taken with no prereq. as far as I've been able to find, the list is:

empower
enlarge
sudden enlarge
entangling spell
explosive spell
extend
sudden extend
fell animate/drain/frighten/weaken
forceful spell
fortify spell
heighten spell
maximise
sudden maximise
quicken
reach
sacred spell
silent spell
sudden spell
still spell
sudden still
widen spell
sudden widen

I believe invisible spell from cityscape also doesn't require any other metamagic feats, but I can't remember.

any suggestions? is the metamagic plan a good one? if so, which feat should I go for?

Venger
2012-01-10, 06:31 PM
my character hit 9th level and it's feat time. given the chameleon's jack-of-all-trades nature, I'm a little uncertain of what to do with my feat, especially since with my free-floating feat, I don't need any sort of situational feat and would prefer one that's available all the time, useful in all circumstances. I'm factotum 5/chameleon 4 and the party consists of a psionic rogue with the psionic shot chain, a dervish, a bard/ranger, a dragon cheese kobold sorcerer, and a blaster generalist wiz/mage of the arcane order.

the feats I've got already are:

able learner (unfortunately worthless for factoti, but a prereq for chameleon)

font of inspiration (only once, since I'm not figuring on going back in for more factotum lvls and want a bigger insp pool. combat in the game's not hard enough to need cunning surge without making things too easy)

knowledge devotion (boost to fightan, great with all knowledges as class skills)

obtain familiar & stitched flesh familiar (raven for talking/wands)

mentor (craftsman) for RP stuff and extra money

I was thinking a metamagic feat so that way I could use my free-floating feat as other metamgic feats that require "any other metamagic feat" which is about all of them, which could be cool, but only a couple can be taken with no prereq. as far as I've been able to find, the list is:

empower
enlarge
sudden enlarge
entangling spell
explosive spell
extend
sudden extend
fell animate/drain/frighten/weaken
forceful spell
fortify spell
heighten spell
maximise
sudden maximise
quicken
reach
sacred spell
silent spell
sudden spell
still spell
sudden still
widen spell
sudden widen

I believe invisible spell from cityscape also doesn't require any other metamagic feats, but I can't remember.

any suggestions? is the metamagic plan a good one? if so, which feat should I go for?

hex0
2012-01-10, 06:47 PM

You can't use the Chameleon's floating feat or most other class features for applying for anything.

I'd recommend any of the Reserve feats since you have a decent amount of spells.

Edit: Or take Trickster Spellthief as your 9th level and snag Master Spellthief.

gkathellar
2012-01-10, 06:51 PM
You can't use the Chameleon's floating feat or most other class features for applying for anything.

I'd recommend any of the Reserve feats since you have a decent amount of spells.

That's not what he's suggesting. He's thinking about taking a metamagic feat, so that his floating feat then qualifies for metamagic feats that require you to possess another metamagic feat as their prerequisite. He's wondering about which one to take.

hex0
2012-01-10, 07:31 PM
That's not what he's suggesting. He's thinking about taking a metamagic feat, so that his floating feat then qualifies for metamagic feats that require you to possess another metamagic feat as their prerequisite. He's wondering about which one to take.

But if you change your floating feat, you may lose it as a prerequisite...

Riverdance
2012-01-10, 08:23 PM
So far as metamagic goes Quicken and Maximize tend to be the most practical. Maximize is also very widely applicable (for combat and semi-combat). You didn't have quicken on the list. Is it not an option at your level? I don't remember the prerequisites.

rollforeigninit
2012-01-10, 08:25 PM

Still wrong, He's talking about taking said prerequisite feat to give him access to the more esoteric metamagic feats that require a metamagic feat as a prereq.

gkathellar
2012-01-10, 08:31 PM
OP, I'd skip the metamagic. You don't have the spell slots for it. I'd consider grabbing a soulmeld or two to fill out any missing class abilities.

You're reading what I said backwards. He wants his 9th-level feat to be metamagic. That way, it'll fulfill metamagic prerequisites and give him more metamagic feat options for his floating feat.

Venger
2012-01-10, 08:45 PM

you are correct. if I have a metamagic feat as a real feat, then I qualify for a feat with "any other metamagic feat" as a prereq, so I can switch my free-floating feat to that (twin, chain, etc)

Edit: Or take Trickster Spellthief as your 9th level and snag Master Spellthief.

you are correct as well, chameleon's foci and free=floating feat are specifically disallowed for use to take feats or enter prcs. everything else is fair game though. as much fun as reserve feats are, I cannot qualify since my spells stem from my arcane foci, so they can't be used for feats.

gkathellar
2012-01-10, 09:15 PM
you are correct as well, chameleon's foci and free=floating feat are specifically disallowed for use to take feats or enter prcs. everything else is fair game though. as much fun as reserve feats are, I cannot qualify since my spells stem from my arcane foci, so they can't be used for feats.

Nope. You qualify for metamagic due to Arcane Dilettante.

Venger
2012-01-10, 09:25 PM
Still wrong, He's talking about taking said prerequisite feat to give him access to the more esoteric metamagic feats that require a metamagic feat as a prereq.

yep, just what I have in mind.

OP, I'd skip the metamagic. You don't have the spell slots for it. I'd consider grabbing a soulmeld or two to fill out any missing class abilities.

He wants his 9th-level feat to be metamagic. That way, it'll fulfill metamagic prerequisites and give him more metamagic feat options for his floating feat.

what do you mean? I wasn't planning anything especially crazy with it, I don't have the feats, cha, or turn attempts to do any persisting tricks, I just wanted to be able to access the fun metamagic feats, which all require 1 metamagic feat, so would normally be out of my reach

soulmelds are what totemists/incarnums use, right? what ones would you recommend. what book are they in? are they all in magic of incarnum?

Nope. You qualify for metamagic due to Arcane Dilettante.

metamagic either have no prerequisite at all (extend, widen, etc), the prereq of "any other metamagic feat" (most of them) or a whole lot of metamagic feats (only one or two, such as sudden quicken) I was saying that I do not qualify for reserve feats since they explicitly require the ability to cast spells, an ability I only get from my arcane focus, and I can't use my arcane focus for feats.

arcane dilettante lets me cast a handful of spells as SLAs, but I'm only taking 5 levels of factotum, so I'd just have 2nds, and cant cast a lot of the prereq spells for reserve feats, and SLAs ≠ spells.