PDA

View Full Version : Radiation in Vampire : The Masquerade

Gaius Marius
2012-01-10, 10:04 PM
What happens if a vampire is exposed to heavy radiation by a dirty bomb, or a nuclear reactor accident?

What if he feeds on a human inflicted by those illness? Does the rules cover that?

Need_A_Life
2012-01-10, 11:43 PM
Well, since his cells are actually dead and he's continually regenerating in minor amounts (aka, halting decomposition and aging), I imagine it wouldn't have much of an effect, honestly. Maybe lose a couple of dice to various tasks for a while?

Feeding on someone with radiation poisoning? A minor penalty for a while (-1?), until he's flushed his system of it or it's gone inert.

The penalties for ghouls would be a lot worse, though. Count it as environmental lethal damage, interval of, say 1/hour until you get to safety. At that point, you need a generous dormitor to heal it all.

Pilo
2012-01-11, 04:56 AM
As other sick vampire, he will lose an additionnal blood point when he wakes up until he his healed, which may take a decade or five.

Fouredged Sword
2012-01-11, 06:55 AM
I don't think there are rules, but I would say no effect.

Everyone else have it act as a poison with a 24 and 48 hour delay. (it hits you twice) dealing agg hp damage as it breaks down organs directly.

Minor radiation (1 mile of dirty bomb) - make one save per hour of exposure, con save to ignore the damage.
Medium radiation (1000 ft of dirty bomb) - Make a save per min of exposure.
Heavy exposure (Standing in a reactor) - Make a save per round of exposure.

If you want a vampire to be effected make the vampire take damage as vitae loss as it breaks down the blood in his system. It makes vampires able to survive much better, but they stil have to worry about exposure if they are not near food.

Yuki Akuma
2012-01-15, 12:16 PM
There are rules for radiation in one of the Promethean books, although that's nWoD.

I think, basically, vampires can't use irradiated blood to heal, but can spend it on other powers just fine.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-15, 12:42 PM
Again, nWoD, but Mirrors has a suggestion for it: namely, that Kindred are immune to the deleterious effects of radiation poisoning, but can spread it to mortals. :smalleek:

erikun
2012-01-16, 02:34 AM
Radiation, or radioactive fallout, only messes around with normal cell growth and function (as I understand it) and so would not affect a vampire. Any radiation strong enough to do physical damage, though, would affect the vampire normally - probably significantly, as radioactive damage would likely be considered burning.

The vampire would likely be a dangerous to others afterwards as any other similarly irradiated object. Drinking the blood of such a vampire, such as for a ghoul, would likely be an exceptionally bad idea.

Not sure about drinking blood of a radiation-accident survivor, but at the very least, it would make the blood inside the vampire (and thus, the vampire itself) radioactive. If the radiation is strong enough to break down cells, then the vampire may not get substance from the blood - and if they are in such a radiation field, may find their own blood pool being destroyed as well. I'm fairly sure the "cells falling apart" level of radiation is below the "things melting and on fire" level.

Fouredged Sword
2012-01-16, 07:03 AM
It takes significantly less radiation to melt the cell wall structure than it does to light something on fire. Mostly it takes sustained heavy radiation. It can kill a human within hours unless radical treatment is applied.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-01-17, 09:42 AM
The vampire would likely be a dangerous to others afterwards as any other similarly irradiated object. Drinking the blood of such a vampire, such as for a ghoul, would likely be an exceptionally bad idea.

But then the ghouls would glow in the dark!

Tengu_temp
2012-01-17, 09:53 AM
Thinking about a WoD/Fallout crossover now.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-01-17, 08:08 PM
Thinking about a WoD/Fallout crossover now.

You run it, I'll play it.

Tengu_temp
2012-01-18, 04:32 PM
Like I'm gonna learn a new system just to DM a parody game. Oh wait... (http://plothook.net/RPG/forumdisplay.php?f=1383)

nyarlathotep
2012-01-18, 08:04 PM
I'd say that direct bursts of radiation (i.e. the type that leave burns or kill outright) will effect vampires much the same way fire does because it is destroying the physical structure of their cells, but anything that would just being lingering effects that mess up cell reproduction does nothing.

Dark Kerman
2012-01-19, 06:58 PM
Unless it causes enough heat to burn them, then no. Radiation is only effective as it has the effect of ionising particles in cells, of which are A. DNA (which causes cancer as the coding is altered and changed) and B. Forms free radicals, which are poisonous (depending on the amount, it won't kill you straight up (if lucky) but will age you effectively).

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-19, 07:55 PM
I'd say that direct bursts of radiation (i.e. the type that leave burns or kill outright) will effect vampires much the same way fire does because it is destroying the physical structure of their cells, but anything that would just being lingering effects that mess up cell reproduction does nothing.But the reason they take aggravated damage from fire (at least in Masquerade) is that it's explicitly a mystical curse one of God's angels levvied at Caine, that he and his progeny would have fire as their bane. Doesn't seem to follow that radiation would have the same effect. :smallconfused:

Pokonic
2012-01-20, 08:57 PM
Naturaly, Ghouls would start rotting and turn into Fallout styled Glowing Ones.
Yes, I am so implimenting this next time I get the chance too.

nyarlathotep
2012-01-20, 09:36 PM
But the reason they take aggravated damage from fire (at least in Masquerade) is that it's explicitly a mystical curse one of God's angels levvied at Caine, that he and his progeny would have fire as their bane. Doesn't seem to follow that radiation would have the same effect. :smallconfused:

I thought that acid and similar things that totally destroyed parts of the body always dealt aggravated and fire just worked really fast because of the curse, causing them to light up from as little as a lantern.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-20, 10:13 PM
Either way, I suppose the point's moot now; it appears our OP has been banned... :smallconfused:

Pokonic
2012-01-20, 11:17 PM
Huh. Weird. I liked the guy, too.:smallsigh:

Beelzebub1111
2012-01-23, 03:45 PM
Ooh! I would so play that!

Werewolf: The Post-apocalypse!

I've got this picture of a werewolf society roaving on motorcycles and fighting in a Thunderdome.

Fouredged Sword
2012-01-24, 06:56 AM
I have been working on a werewolf the forsaken setting in 2216 that the world has been taken over by city, with no wilderness left. A massive computer runs all day to day life, werewolves are forced to adapt and sacrifice the oath for practicality or languish on the edges of society. The shadow has become a labyrinth of hallways, with the few last patches of fading memory of the forest struggling not to be forgotten.

Other than that it is cyberpunk werewolf with lasers and robots to rip to pieces.

"Steam is constantly rising from the fission reactor 13. It goes into the sky and turns to dense clouds. It never stops raining in the city. The rain tastes foul, lifeless, because it is. It falls down the towers of man and into the gutters and sewers that are the last place life still grows in the city. The gauntlet has grown thick, and the spirit of the world is fading. Spirits desperately seek to cross the gauntlet to survive, like rats fleeing a sinking ship for land, any land. Even one as rotten at it's core as this one.

Welcome to the city wolf. I hope you like the taste of rat. There is nothing left to hunt in this rotten place."

- Paul Gumshoe - Iron Master Edolath and Pack alpha of the Gutter Wolves.