PDA

View Full Version : Asura's Wrath - Demo is out.

Zevox
2012-01-11, 02:22 AM
So, as the title says, the demo for this upcoming game dropped today. For those who don't know, it's an action game made by Capcom that appears to be pretty much like God of War, but with loose inspiration from Hindu mythology instead of Greek mythology, Dragon Ball Z levels of over-the-top action, and some high-tech elements.

Anyway, I tried the demo, and find myself having very mixed feelings on it. It has two parts, both appearing to be boss battles. The first part of it, frankly, sucks. It's nothing but on-rails shooting and quick-time events, definitely not what I want out of an action game of this sort. Not even the over-the-top-as-all-hell action scenes could save that part from boring me. I really hope that this isn't indicative of what much of the game will be like.

The second part was much better though. Quick-time events were still there, but in more moderate amounts, and there was actual combat going on for much of it. And that action was somewhat promising - I was trying to figure out how the mechanics worked of course, and a boss isn't the ideal time to be doing that, but I liked what I saw of how I could dodge and counter his attacks, and how my own seemed to work; though I really wish they had explained what the left trigger button did on that control screen that popped up before the fight, since I couldn't quite figure that out, even though it had an icon flashing at me a couple of times. There was also plenty of so-bad-its-good hammy acting from the boss, which was genuinely enjoyable to watch, in a stupid, cheesy kind of way. This part really felt like something straight out of Dragon Ball Z, and that's more what I was expecting from the trailers I'd seen for the game.

I really wish they had included a section featuring some non-boss combat though, since that's going to be one of the most important parts for a game like this, and it's really hard to judge the main gameplay based on the fist-fighting portion of the second part of the demo.

So, anybody else try the demo and have some thoughts? Or interested in the game but didn't know the demo was out?

Zevox

Brother Oni
2012-01-11, 07:34 AM
Was following the game, didn't know the demo was out.

Will be downloading tonight and giving it a try as soon as I can get away from the missus.

Brother Oni
2012-01-16, 11:41 AM
*Sigh*

Apparently the demo is Gold membership only. It'd certainly explain why I can't see it on the Xbox Live marketplace.

Yora
2012-01-16, 11:47 AM
What suprised me is that one videos, the game looks really old. Like PS2-old.

Also the gameplay shown in the videos of the demo looks very boring. All Quick Time events and blind button mashing. Not really much to call gameplay to begin with.

Brother Oni
2012-01-16, 12:03 PM
What suprised me is that one videos, the game looks really old. Like PS2-old.

Also the gameplay shown in the videos of the demo looks very boring. All Quick Time events and blind button mashing. Not really much to call gameplay to begin with.

I think it was developed with the Unreal 3 engine, so that'd be why it looks very old.

If you're after hardcore gameplay with mechanics you can sink your teeth into (my mind keeps on suggesting Bayonetta, but I haven't played the game), I don't think this is the sort of game for you.

If you're after some 'I am an epic force of unstoppable rage' feeling ala the God of War games, I'm sure this would fit the bill.