PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Joe = Spaghetti Sauce Sandwich?

The Durvin
2012-01-11, 01:26 PM
I had always known sloppy joe filling as a beefy, saucy thing totally separate from spaghetti sauce, but my ex-girlfriend said they were the same thing. Am I just weird, or is this another example of her family being all screwy?

Whiffet
2012-01-11, 01:37 PM
You could use it as a spaghetti sauce if you wanted. It's not bad at all.

Still, since the first thing in my head when I hear spaghetti sauce is mostly tomato with a little beef, I don't typically think of the two as the same thing. But there are so many sauces for spaghetti that I can totally see this.

Fiery Diamond
2012-01-11, 01:42 PM
The answer lies in knowing that there is no one accepted "spaghetti sauce." Yes, I've seen people eat spaghetti using sauce that had almost identical composition and consistency to Sloppy Joe filling. It is but one example of "meat-based spaghetti sauce." I, on the other hand, do not associate that with spaghetti at all, and what I call spaghetti sauce is much thinner by virtue of not being meat-based at all; it's tomato-based (primarily tomato paste and tomato puree). It may have strips of meat in it, but the sauce itself is not meaty.

Short answer: both of you are right.

grimbold
2012-01-11, 01:45 PM
i agree with whiffet

but the sauce would need to be really meaty to truly compare

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-11, 04:42 PM
Well, considering there is properly no one "spaghetti sauce", you're both wrong.

Her family appears to make the bolognaise/bolognese sauce, which is very very similar to what you put on a sloppy joe. The sauce you make seems to be a straight-up tomato-sauce. My family makes tomato sauce with onions and chopped sausage thrown in, and tomato chunks to boot. However, you can put ANY sauce on spaghetti.
I am especially fond of a cream-based pasta, where you first throw in your sausage, then slowly add cream and milk, stirring constantly. Very very good, especially on spaghettini.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-11, 04:47 PM
Next thing you'll be telling me soylent green is people.:smallwink:

Karoht
2012-01-11, 05:16 PM
I had always known sloppy joe filling as a beefy, saucy thing totally separate from spaghetti sauce, but my ex-girlfriend said they were the same thing. Am I just weird, or is this another example of her family being all screwy?

To my knowledge, Sloppy Joe is a bit more of a tex mex sauce. Typically cumin, chili, those stereotyped mexican spices, tend to be involved.

But straight up 'spagetti sauce' on bread? Yeah, that would work I guess.

Orzel
2012-01-11, 06:53 PM
Sloppy Joe = Spaghetti Sauce Sandwich?

Sure, if you don't know how to make spaghetti sauce.

I'd say Sloppy Joe sauce is closer to a beanless, meat-heavy, chili con carne with tomatoes.

Mando Knight
2012-01-11, 07:33 PM
I'd say Sloppy Joe sauce is closer to a beanless, meat-heavy, chili con carne with tomatoes.
Much thicker than most chili con carne, though, and a good bit less spicy. Or, at least, in my experience.

Heliomance
2012-01-11, 07:35 PM
Sloppy Joe = Spaghetti Sauce Sandwich?

Sure, if you don't know how to make spaghetti sauce.

I'd say Sloppy Joe sauce is closer to a beanless, meat-heavy, chili con carne with tomatoes.Sounds like a fairly standard bolognese sauce to me.

Dumbledore lives
2012-01-11, 07:35 PM
Sloppy Joes generally have a lot of ketchup, which is quite different from the plainer tomatoes that go into spaghetti sauce. Also the ones that I make have carrot in them, which no spaghetti sauce does, though that might actually be interesting. Basically they have some similar ingredients, but most of the time have quite a different end result.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-11, 08:25 PM
Wait, if a sloppy joe is just a spaghetti sauce sandwich, does that mean a corn dog is just a hot dog on a stick covered completely in a cornbread layer?:smallconfused:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2012-01-11, 08:44 PM
In my mind, sloppy joe sauce in my mind is more akin to barbecue sauce than spaghetti sauce, and seems to me is usually sweeter (usually with molasses or brown sugar).

Orzel
2012-01-11, 08:46 PM
Sounds like a fairly standard bolognese sauce to me.

Bolognese with ketchup and a dash of chili

Much thicker than most chili con carne, though, and a good bit less spicy. Or, at least, in my experience.

My chili is very thick though

CURSE THIS THREAD!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tausilver/photobucket-6106-1326332098372.jpg
My dinner.

Not until I finished did I realize I had no bread. :smallannoyed:

Traab
2012-01-11, 09:34 PM
I once turned chili into sloppy joe sandwiches. It was an awesome breakfast, but I regretted it halfway through school. And like has been said before, you COULD use a meat heavy spaghetti sauce as sloppy joe filling, I just tend to prefer more appropriately spiced filling for my joes. I like different flavors on my sandwiches than I do on my pasta.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-11, 09:42 PM
Add some basil and oregano and other 'Italian' herbs, and you'll have an acceptable, if not at all authentically from Bologna, Bolognese spaghetti sauce from a sloppy joe, though I would also add some canned tomatoes, grated carrot and sliced celery.
The reverse is also true and I loved as a kid to sneak leftover spaghetti sauce onto a bun as a sandwich.

averagejoe
2012-01-11, 09:45 PM
He's my somewhat more slovenly brother. I'm pretty sure no one calls him Spaghetti Sauce Sandwich.

Serpentine
2012-01-11, 10:32 PM
I'd say Sloppy Joe sauce is closer to a beanless, meat-heavy, chili con carne with tomatoes.Which I, at least, can and fairly often do eat with spaghetti, rendering it (at least in my mind) a variant spaghetti sauce.
Sounds like a fairly standard bolognese sauce to me.That too.

Also the ones that I make have carrot in them, which no spaghetti sauce doesLots of spaghetti sauces have carrot in them :confused:

Traab
2012-01-11, 10:39 PM
Which I, at least, can and fairly often do eat with spaghetti, rendering it (at least in my mind) a variant spaghetti sauce.That too.
Lots of spaghetti sauces have carrot in them :confused:

ugh, WHY?! Carrots just seem to suck all the flavor out of tomato sauce.

Whiffet
2012-01-11, 10:40 PM
He's my somewhat more slovenly brother. I'm pretty sure no one calls him Spaghetti Sauce Sandwich.

You and your brother have the same name? Didn't that get confusing when you were growing up? :smalltongue:

Man, I love sloppy joes. This thread made me want one. Maybe even on spaghetti; I'm a sucker for really beefy sauces.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-11, 10:48 PM
No, it wouldn't get confusing. That's why they have the nicknames :smallbiggrin: One of them is Sloppy Joe, the other is Average Joe.

Whiffet
2012-01-11, 10:49 PM
No, it wouldn't get confusing. That's why they have the nicknames :smallbiggrin: One of them is Sloppy Joe, the other is Average Joe.

Of course! It all makes so much sense! :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2012-01-11, 10:58 PM

Is there a Schmoe as well? Perhaps a Mean____Green? :smallbiggrin:
Heh, this is bringing to mind the day I watched a bruce lee film where I could have sworn one of the guys introduced himself as Ah Goon. I spent days coming up with an extended Goon Family. Da Goon, Dee Goon, Deh Goon, etc etc etc.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-11, 11:03 PM
ugh, WHY?! Carrots just seem to suck all the flavor out of tomato sauce.
Well, my mum always did it, and in my personal, not at all biased, opinion, the sweetness, carrots are loaded with sugar, makes a nice counterpoint to the tartness of the tomatoes.
Another thing I like to add is chilli powder, or at least some Cayenne pepper and cumin. It adds a nice richness in my opinion, a bass note of flavour.

Serpentine
2012-01-11, 11:06 PM
ugh, WHY?! Carrots just seem to suck all the flavor out of tomato sauce.Extra flavour, extra nutrients, extra fibre... Also, not all pasta sauces are tomato sauces.

Orzel
2012-01-11, 11:25 PM
Talk of carrot in spaghetti sauce and none of celery?

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? :smalleek:

Mando Knight
2012-01-11, 11:41 PM
My chili is very thick though

CURSE THIS THREAD!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tausilver/photobucket-6106-1326332098372.jpg
My dinner.

Yeah, that's about the thickness I'm talking about. Basically meat lightly covered in sauce.

Coidzor
2012-01-11, 11:47 PM
In my mind, sloppy joe sauce in my mind is more akin to barbecue sauce than spaghetti sauce, and seems to me is usually sweeter (usually with molasses or brown sugar).

Yeah, sloppy joe always seemed to be more of a brown sauce with molasses and meat whereas "spaghetti" sauce seemed to be a sort of marinara/puttanesca sauce, usually with ground beef but could be vegetarian.

averagejoe
2012-01-11, 11:56 PM
You and your brother have the same name? Didn't that get confusing when you were growing up? :smalltongue:

We have the same last name.

Is there a Schmoe as well? Perhaps a Mean____Green? :smallbiggrin:

I don't get how someone named Mean Blank Green Joe even makes sense. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

I did have a sister named Coo.

Serpentine
2012-01-12, 07:28 AM
Talk of carrot in spaghetti sauce and none of celery?

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? :smalleek:Celery's great in soups P:
I did have a sister named Coo.How was she with kids?

It always weirds me out when people talk about spaghetti sauce like there's only one :smallconfused:

polity4life
2012-01-12, 07:41 AM

As an ethnic Italian, I feel the need to share words with this woman. :smallannoyed:

A red sauce used for pasta is an art; it's a masterpiece if it's your mother's recipe. To say they are the same thing makes me wonder if this person has a smooth tongue or some other gustatory system malfunction.

kpenguin
2012-01-12, 07:42 AM
The answer lies in knowing that there is no one accepted "spaghetti sauce."

Y'know, whenever someone says this about any term, it makes me think there should be a body of experts that defines them.

Perhaps a Panel of Authority for Sauces Tasty and Appetizing should be formed to set down guidelines for what is and what is not spaghetti sauce.

Gullintanni
2012-01-12, 07:52 AM
They could be a team of high-op Sauceror's. :smallwink:

Traab
2012-01-12, 08:51 AM
We have the same last name.

I don't get how someone named Mean Blank Green Joe even makes sense. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

I did have a sister named Coo.

You know, if your family was a fan of ff7, id recommend nicknaming the next Joe, Ho. If not for the bad implications. :p

GeekGirl
2012-01-12, 09:36 AM
Relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-dbTvwrYs)

I really have nothing worth while to add ^_^

The_Admiral
2012-01-12, 09:47 AM
As an ethnic Italian, I feel the need to share words with this woman. :smallannoyed:

A red sauce used for pasta is an art; it's a masterpiece if it's your mother's recipe. To say they are the same thing makes me wonder if this person has a smooth tongue or some other gustatory system malfunction.

What if it's you're grandmothers recipe?

polity4life
2012-01-12, 10:17 AM
What if it's you're grandmothers recipe?

I see your game you rogue.

Grandma's red sauce was a traditional bolognese with vegetables and ground beef. Although it's good in its own right, it isn't the spicy-sweet marinara my mother makes.

No matter the case, neither are remotely near the concoction used to bind meat together to make a sloppy joe.

razark
2012-01-12, 10:24 AM
guidelines for what is and what is not spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti sauce: sauce that is served on spaghetti.

That's a pretty clear definition that says nothing about the subject. Any sauce, be it meat based, tomato based, cream based, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, shoe polish, battery acid, rainwater and pure grain alcohol, olive oil and garlic, whatever it is, once it is served on spaghetti, it IS spaghetti sauce.

(Of course, sloppy joes are not made with anything even remotely resembling spaghetti sauce. And how did chili even get into this?!?)

Coidzor
2012-01-12, 11:16 AM
It always weirds me out when people talk about spaghetti sauce like there's only one :smallconfused:

It's mostly a byproduct from when spaghetti became popular with the American public as a dirt cheap meal option with a more or less consistently tomato-based sauce from what I recall.

Traab
2012-01-12, 01:54 PM

That's a pretty clear definition that says nothing about the subject. Any sauce, be it meat based, tomato based, cream based, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, shoe polish, battery acid, rainwater and pure grain alcohol, olive oil and garlic, whatever it is, once it is served on spaghetti, it IS spaghetti sauce.

(Of course, sloppy joes are not made with anything even remotely resembling spaghetti sauce. And how did chili even get into this?!?)

Because chili makes awesome sloppy joes! Just not for breakfast.

kpenguin
2012-01-12, 01:56 PM

I dunno. Battery acid sloppy joe sounds good.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-12, 02:02 PM

I beg to differ. Sometimes I want something rich, meaty and hearty for breakfast and chilli sloppy joes sound awesome for breakfast.
Chili on toast with rooster sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce) and threaded cheese is also delightful. It's high in fibre, you get calcium, protean and iron, and darn it if its darn tasty.
Just make sure you drink plenty of water, it's pretty salty.

razark
2012-01-12, 02:11 PM
That would be a chili sandwich. Which is not something I've yet done, but it is something that now must be tried, because it sounds awesome.

As soon as I get a free weekend to make chili.

Whiffet
2012-01-12, 02:15 PM
It's mostly a byproduct from when spaghetti became popular with the American public as a dirt cheap meal option with a more or less consistently tomato-based sauce from what I recall.

Aw, man, cheap store-bought tomato sauce is awful. They always seem to make it too sweet. :smallfrown:

Coidzor
2012-01-12, 02:40 PM
Aw, man, cheap store-bought tomato sauce is awful. They always seem to make it too sweet. :smallfrown:

That was before store-bought spag sauce, and I think is what prompted the advent of store-bought spag sauce.

I must admit, I've never had store-bought spag sauce which I didn't add either meat or sauteed mushrooms and then cook down on the stove with added spices such that it didn't really taste sweet even if it had natural sweetness to it.

GnomeFighter
2012-01-12, 02:47 PM

Why would you buy tomato sauce rather than makeing it?

Weezer
2012-01-12, 03:11 PM

Convenience mostly. Same reason that people buy bread instead of making it, go to restaurants instead of cooking themselves, and buy pre-made meals, it's easier than actually knowing how to cook.

Coidzor
2012-01-12, 03:19 PM

Cost and time, I imagine.

Traab
2012-01-12, 03:34 PM
That would be a chili sandwich. Which is not something I've yet done, but it is something that now must be tried, because it sounds awesome.

As soon as I get a free weekend to make chili.

It really is, get one of those thick rolls you can hollow out a bit, scoop it in there and chow down. As for Ravenscry, you would think that, I certainly did, but I was throwing up by lunch time. And I eat last nights dinner for breakfast all the time. Or ramen flavored with ghost pepper sauce. I dont know why that triggered it but it did and I havent tried it since.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-12, 04:53 PM
People say it's cheaper to buy something at the store, but we actually started making things at home because it's cheaper than buying it. Mostly, with breads. The amount you're charged for breads is RIDICULOUS, you can make them at home for a fraction of the amount. Hamburger and sausage buns are the worst, we can make them for like, 1/4 of the cost.

razark
2012-01-12, 05:02 PM
we can make them for like, 1/4 of the cost.
Are you considering only the monetary cost, or the cost in time as well?

I like to cook, but I happen to like to cook stuff that takes a long time, so I find that weekends that I don't have any plans are the only times I really have available to make most of the stuff I like to cook.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-12, 05:35 PM
Well, my mum works from home, so she just puts the dough in the mixer, and turns it on, and it mixes and kneads the dough while she goes back to work, and then when it's kneaded it beeps at her, and she puts it in the oven, and goes back to work again until it beeps at her again. So, maybe won't work for everybody, but still. I loooooove cooking, and I don't understand how people would rather eat expensive crappy food when they can make delicious cheap good food...

Traab
2012-01-12, 05:37 PM
People say it's cheaper to buy something at the store, but we actually started making things at home because it's cheaper than buying it. Mostly, with breads. The amount you're charged for breads is RIDICULOUS, you can make them at home for a fraction of the amount. Hamburger and sausage buns are the worst, we can make them for like, 1/4 of the cost.

Yeah, home made foods are generally cheaper than premade. The most obvious examples would be things like.... go to the market, in the meat section they often have those premade microwavable meals. Pulled pork, turkey and gravy, etc. Look at how much they cost. Then look at how much the components would cost you to make that much. Its WAY more expensive, but what you are paying for is the time saved. Making turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy takes times and effort. Plopping a container with 2 lbs of turkey meat and gravy with a side of potatoes in the microwave is a lot faster and easier.

The real benefit to home cooking is the amount you can make. Take pasta sauce for example. The time requirements to make a quart of the stuff arent that much less than to make a gallon of it. After you have that done you can freeze the extra and its easy from then on. Also there is the added advantage of being able to fine tune the flavor untill its exactly how you want it. Cant do that with Ragu. :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2012-01-13, 12:40 PM
Celery's great in soups P:How was she with kids?

You know, actually better than you'd think. You just couldn't leave her alone with them.

You know, if your family was a fan of ff7, id recommend nicknaming the next Joe, Ho. If not for the bad implications. :p

I think someone almost did that but decided not to when they realized that the schoolyard taunts almost wrote themselves.

Serpentine
2012-01-15, 04:08 AM
Why would you buy tomato sauce rather than makeing it?I know of several brands available in Australia that make tasty, I think reasonably healthy pasta sauces of various kinds. I mostly find them best to chuck on tortellini as a super quick, easy meal, or to toss into veggies to make them more palatable. Not as good as home-made, certainly, but useful to have a bottle or two in the cupboard.

shawnhcorey
2012-01-15, 10:13 AM
Bread + meat + tomato sauce = sloppy joes

Bread + meat + tomato sauce + cheese = pizza

It's strange what people will argue over.

JellyPooga
2012-01-15, 02:16 PM

Spagetti sauces are like highlanders. One day in the not to distant future of 1985 there will be a Gathering... :smallwink:

OT: Is it me being British or am I the only one who finds the idea of Sloppy Joes vaguely unappealing? Even the name just makes me want to go and wash my hands...:smalleek:

Tirian
2012-01-15, 04:20 PM
OT: Is it me being British or am I the only one who finds the idea of Sloppy Joes vaguely unappealing? Even the name just makes me want to go and wash my hands...:smalleek:

Ouch. Half of the original Monster Manual was inspired by how disgusting British food is with your black puddings and ochre jellies and gelatinous cubes and green slimes, so this really stings. :smalltongue: Seriously, it's a fun casual food to eat -- the sloppy part is just that if you eat the sandwich with your hands the filling WILL dribble out of the other side but you'll eat it with your hands (over a plate) anyways.

I will also cast a vote for it being far closer to a chili con carne (sin frijoles) sandwich. I don't think it would ever occur to an Italian to put even half that much ground beef in a bolognaise sauce. And even though you can put chili over spaghetti (and they evidently do in Cincinnati all the time), it would be misleading to describe chili as a spaghetti sauce.

Coidzor
2012-01-15, 04:45 PM
What with Chili being a bloody stew, yeah.

Heliomance
2012-01-15, 08:45 PM
Spagetti sauces are like highlanders. One day in the not to distant future of 1985 there will be a Gathering... :smallwink:

Yeah, the name does the same to me (also British).

OTOH, I had some left-over bolognese sauce the other day from the previous night's meal, and inspired by this thread I put some between two slices of bread, then shoved it in the sandwich toaster. It was pretty tasty.

Starwulf
2012-01-15, 11:01 PM

Cost of One tomato at local grocery store: 2 bucks
Cost of 45 oz can of Spaghetti Sauce at same store: $0.85
15 cents saved for far more then that single tomato would make, plus the time involved.

Really, I honestly can't think of any foods besides bread that is probably cheaper off-hand to make compared to just buying the finished product in a store. Not counting pre-made microwave dinners though, those things really are strictly convenience only. Now, eggs might be cheaper, that's debatable though, depends on how much chicken feed is + cost to acquire the materials necessary to build a chicken coop.

Edit: I was wrong, my wife says the spaghetti sauce we buy is 85 cents ^^

leafman
2012-01-15, 11:59 PM
Man you guys make my family sound like "po' folk", 'round here, sloppy joes are just ground beef with barbecue sauce mixed in.

Coidzor
2012-01-16, 12:59 AM
Ah, but which kind of barbecue sauce?

After all, several barbecue sauces exist, and a few of them are pretty much condensed versions of what people have described as sloppy joe sauce.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-16, 01:58 AM
I would thin it a little, straight BBQ sauce would be palate numbing and often rather thick, and add onions and garlic to the mince on general principals, but otherwise that sounds pretty good.
I think a nice garlicky one would be nice.
After all, a clove a day keeps the vampires away.

Tirian
2012-01-16, 04:39 AM
15 cents saved for far more then that single tomato would make, plus the time involved.

Whoa. I thought I was slumming buying half that much sauce for a buck. Nice! Still, yeah. Even for me, the only way canning pays off is if you grew the tomatoes yourself and harvested more than you could eat before they spoiled. The only amendment that I would make is that I think that most all baked goods are for suckers. It boggles me that people won't combine the five common dry ingredients to make pancake batter but will rather pay double to have Bisquick mix it for them. Pizzas are even more crazy than bread, and even cakes and pies are simple and super-cheap once you've invested a little practice into it.

After all, a clove a day keeps the vampires away.

Sorry to go off-topic, but this is clearly a lie perpetuated by the vampires. They WANT our blood to have a nice garlicky tang to it.

leafman
2012-01-16, 08:23 AM
Ah, but which kind of barbecue sauce?

After all, several barbecue sauces exist, and a few of them are pretty much condensed versions of what people have described as sloppy joe sauce.

Usually Bullseye Original, I don't know what the ratio we use it in since we eyeball it but we don't water it down or thin it.

Heliomance
2012-01-16, 08:36 AM

Really, I honestly can't think of any foods besides bread that is probably cheaper off-hand to make compared to just buying the finished product in a store. Not counting pre-made microwave dinners though, those things really are strictly convenience only. Now, eggs might be cheaper, that's debatable though, depends on how much chicken feed is + cost to acquire the materials necessary to build a chicken coop.

Edit: I was wrong, my wife says the spaghetti sauce we buy is 85 cents ^^

You pay two dollars for a single tomato?! What the hell kind of expensive place do you shop at? O_o

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-16, 08:49 AM
Dude, tomatoes are like, 50 cents or something. :smalleek:
Mind you, I HATE tomatoes here, ever since I went to England, had a random tomato, and fainted from how delicious it was. IT WAS JUST A RANDOM TOMATO.

WHY DOES EUROPE NOT MESS UP ALL THEIR FOOD.

In that vein, I detest detest detest Sunkist. Did you know that they made a strain of Blood Orange that tastes exactly like all their other oranges? :smallfurious:

Serpentine
2012-01-16, 08:53 AM
I worked out that my spaghetti bolognese comes out at less than $1.50 per serve.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-16, 01:00 PM
Sorry to go off-topic, but this is clearly a lie perpetuated by the vampires. They WANT our blood to have a nice garlicky tang to it.
Impossible! I haven't been bitten yet.:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2012-01-16, 03:01 PM

$1.30 a pound for the cheapest form of roma tomatoes at general grocery stores around here. If one shops around at things like Aldi, things like 40 oz. of roma tomatoes for $1.50 can be found. General "beefsteak" tomatoes are more like $2 a pound, and tomatoes on the vine are something like $2.50. Horribly overpriced, but it's a bit tricky to set up a hothouse when one has never done it before and keep tomato plants alive over the winter and producing. :/

The sad thing is, roma tomatoes are supposed to have a bit more flavor to their flesh, last I checked, and yet they've found some cost-saving measure or something to get roma tomatoes with flesh more like wax than food. :smallsigh:

In that vein, I detest detest detest Sunkist. Did you know that they made a strain of Blood Orange that tastes exactly like all their other oranges? :smallfurious:

That's just ridiculous. The point of a blood orange is that it tastes delicious not that it tastes like the cheap navel oranges that they shovel down everyone's throats. :smallfurious::smallfrown:

Starwulf
2012-01-16, 03:01 PM
Whoa. I thought I was slumming buying half that much sauce for a buck. Nice! Still, yeah. Even for me, the only way canning pays off is if you grew the tomatoes yourself and harvested more than you could eat before they spoiled. The only amendment that I would make is that I think that most all baked goods are for suckers. It boggles me that people won't combine the five common dry ingredients to make pancake batter but will rather pay double to have Bisquick mix it for them. Pizzas are even more crazy than bread, and even cakes and pies are simple and super-cheap once you've invested a little practice into it.

Ahh, yeah, I forgot about pizza, my wife buys packets of yeast and makes homemade pizza which tastes a damn sight better then anything you can buy off the shelf, and is definitely a lot cheaper. And homemade cinnamon rolls(once a year, Christmas breakfast) are literally to die for!

You pay two dollars for a single tomato?! What the hell kind of expensive place do you shop at? O_o

I live in a small town(population 1300), and the only two stores aren't particularly cheap when it comes to produce >< 2.00 a lb for a tomato, and one regular size tomato is pretty much a pound, so..yeah, go figure ^^

Mind you, I HATE tomatoes here, ever since I went to England, had a random tomato, and fainted from how delicious it was. IT WAS JUST A RANDOM TOMATO.

I'm definitely jealous, I'd love tomatoes to be 50 cents ^^ Well, my wife would anyways ^^

Heliomance
2012-01-16, 03:19 PM
And homemade cinnamon rolls(once a year, Christmas breakfast) are literally to die for!

Ooh, can I get that recipe? I've tried making cinnamon rolls, it didn't work great. I'd love to have a tried and tested recipe!

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-17, 02:43 AM
Sloppy Joe is almost exactly like the meat sauce Swedes traditionally put on Spaghetti. The only difference is some of the spices.

Zeb The Troll
2012-01-19, 06:36 AM
Sloppy Joe mix looks like bolognese, but I submit that it should be even thicker and spicier. It should be so think you can mold it!

http://www.cogulus.com/blog/images/h/hunts_manwich.jpg

Isolder74
2012-01-19, 02:39 PM
$1.30 a pound for the cheapest form of roma tomatoes at general grocery stores around here. If one shops around at things like Aldi, things like 40 oz. of roma tomatoes for $1.50 can be found. General "beefsteak" tomatoes are more like $2 a pound, and tomatoes on the vine are something like $2.50. Horribly overpriced, but it's a bit tricky to set up a hothouse when one has never done it before and keep tomato plants alive over the winter and producing. :/

The sad thing is, roma tomatoes are supposed to have a bit more flavor to their flesh, last I checked, and yet they've found some cost-saving measure or something to get roma tomatoes with flesh more like wax than food. :smallsigh:

That's easy to explain. They taste that way because they are picked green then gassed to look red. They don't taste like anything because they they haven't even gotten any flavor in them yet. They are all show and no go!