PDA

View Full Version : Magical luxury goods

ZeroGear
2012-01-11, 01:30 PM
Anyone ever notice how almost every magical item in the rulebooks is geared towards adventurers and combat oriented people? Well, considering that is what most players are, that makes perfect sense. But what about those who have a lot of gold but no desire to go out and kill stuff?

What I am asking if for ideas of magical items and strange creatures nobles would buy to Entertain themselves and to show off to friends (I just need ideas how to apply magic to things that are mainly for show).
I would like to note that attack spells as part of self-defense mechanisms are perfectly fine, as are magically created creatures to serve as pets.
Some examples:

Heating sheets: able to change temperature between 0 and 40 degrees C. 500g

Puppypuss: a small dog-like creature that has tentacles instead of legs. It is very friendly and fond of playing. Gets along well with children. 600g

Prices would be nice of they are included. Thank you.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-11, 02:07 PM
Well some nice existing luxury goods are:

The infinite spices maker from one of the Forgotten Realms books.
Amulet of Warmth from races of the Dragon that surrounds you in a constant cocoon of constant temperature warmth.
A permanent image of whatever. A miniature flight of gold dragons hovering in the center of the room? Easy peasy.
Permanced magic mouths for automated messaging systems.
Rooms enchanted with unseen servants(Stronghold Builder's Guidebook)
Elevators(Stronghold Builders Guidebook and possibly Dungeonscape)
Some of the various means of long range communication(It's even possible to have a holophone).

Possibly luxury items:

A scent controlling item that allows the making of elaborate works of art including smell? 2k gp?(Due to its possible combat usefulness)
A item of at will pyrotechnics.(CHeck the custom magic item rules)
Sexual enchancers, Price = read some of the third partystuff on this instead
Television scrying balls similar to those seen in OoTS.

Also:

Puppypuss: a small dog-like creature that has tentacles instead of legs. It is very friendly and fond of playing. Gets along well with children. 600g

You sick pervert. :smallwink::smalltongue:

ZeroGear
2012-01-11, 02:42 PM
You sick pervert. :smallwink::smalltongue:

You had to go there?

I was referring to a magical version of this:
http://www.mangareader.net/samurai-high-school/16/6

Knaight
2012-01-11, 02:54 PM
I'm assuming the point of the thread is basic brainstorming. As such, here is a short list of items that are clearly intended as luxury goods. Creative players will be able to use them for adventuring processes nonetheless, and some of them are relatively easy to outright abuse - though none of them rival the Decanter of Endless Water. Moreover, some of them will benefit from having WotC owned names substituted for the current ones (e.g. Melf, Mordenkain).

Fully Magical
Boots of Comfortable Walking - Anyone wearing these boots will never get sore feet, and do not feel muscle fatigue.

Ever Spinning Wheel - This bronze wagon wheel will rotate at a constant speed until told not to.

Floating Faucet - This elegant crystal faucet will float in the air if left there. Upon command it will pour water of any temperature at which it remains liquid at varying rates of flow.

Zoismos's Decanter - This humble instrument, wrought of pale blue glass will make aged wine of any fruit placed inside, in a matter of moments.

Obvious Restyled Technology
Speaking Map - This map always shows the local area, and provides spoken directions when asked about a location.

Box of Heat - This small glass and metal box can have any exterior temperature desired between 40 and 500 F, and will hold that exact temperature until told not to, or for a period of time as instructed.

Mixing Vase - The Mixing Vase consists of a glass pitcher and lid. When given a command word the contents will slowly liquify and mix together.

Steam Stone - This flat stone on a wooden handle always produces steam.

Spray Skin - This innocuous looking wine skin produces a thin spray of any liquid or powder places within when squeezed.

Merlin's Toolbox - This heavy ebony chest contains a number of tools, including large ones. It includes quickly vibrating files, several spinning saws varying from hand held saws used for precision work to saws embedded in tables, drills that spin on their own, and hammers which create nails upon being swung into an object. One of these toolboxes is enough for an entire construction crew.

Zoismos's Floating Faucet - This variation of the floating faucet is a crystal disk, which can spray water of any temperature at which it remains liquid in numerous different patterns.

Totem of Heat - A short totem pole carved to resemble a sleeping phoenix, the Totem of Heat will constantly radiate heat sufficient to warm a room.

Zephyr's Maw - This large silver plated barrel constantly sucks in air around it at a slow rate. This air can then be released at a high rate from the stopper.

Funkyodor
2012-01-11, 06:24 PM
Some nifty magical things I've used in campaigns before were:

Magical Tattoo's that are more vibrant, or change colors with your mood, or move around the body like a real animal, etc... Anything you can possibly think of, If you can afford it.

Everburning pipe of tobacco holding. For those who want to smoke throughout the entire 12 hour tavern bender.

Cleaning wand. As the Presdigitation clean effect with a duration of one hour. Expending a charge makes it permenant. 10 charges. I tossed a couple on a servant the PC's subdued and they liked 'em.

A modern kitchen, only magic. A mini-blade barrier garbage disposal, A fridge, a magic oven, etc. It was awesome to watch the players reaction as their characters searched the kitchen for magical marvels, which gave them listen and spot penalties as the bad guys caught 'em with their drawers open. You know that awesome movie moment when the actor opens the fridge to get a drink, and closes it to find Jason/Kruger/Michael Meyers standing there ready to skewer them? Yeah, it was awesome.

Comfort armor enhancement. For 8 hours per day it's like sleeping in a bedroll. Great for caravan guards, or people on the move!

Gnoman
2012-01-11, 06:42 PM
You're in luck, if you can find the books in question. One of the third party publishers (Mongoose, I think, but not certain until I check my books) published a pair of equipment books that had, in addition to the expected weapons, armor and utility items, many luxury goods. Magical paint that moved in tune to music, exotic magical foods, and holy beer were among them. I'll be able to tell you more in a bit.

Silverscale
2012-01-11, 07:29 PM
If we're talking 3.X here then I know the Magic Item Compendium and, I think it's the Adventurer's Vault, both have luxury items in them. Really though it's up to your imagination.

As far as animals you could add either the Fey template or the Dragon-blooded Template to any mundane creature and have a cool pet to show off to your friends. For that matter even an exotic but otherwise mundane creature has always been a symbol of status; just look at how many fantasy books talk about wealthy people owning a peacock or a tiger or whatever. Want to make it more exotic make it a blue tiger instead.

Also in one of the campaigns I played in a few years ago, my character came from a long line of nobility and one of the ways the DM portrayed the wealth of my family's home was to have a pair of Mythril Golems guarding the front door.

Really just think of what the character would likely buy to make their life easier or more luxurious. If you can't think of what spell would logically power your device, don't worry that's the magic of home-brew.

Just remembered some one once pointed out that you could theoretically use the rules for designing Traps to actually make beneficial "traps" and since traps can be made permanent you could have a "Cure Light Wounds 'trap'" or an "Endure Elements 'trap'".

I hope all this was helpful:smallamused:

boomwolf
2012-01-11, 08:01 PM
If you scan the rulebooks well you will see some of them are furniture and such, not really fitting to adventuring, that is unless you plan to "adventure" in town and return home every night...

Anderlith
2012-01-11, 09:18 PM
Animate Object: Armchair. It's awesome!
Animated everything really, haven't you seen Beauty & the Beast?

I think Wizards or someone already made this one
A chest with Brown Mold at the bottom covered by a steel mesh. It was basically a refrigerator

Journey Books from Sword of Truth books or Span-Reeds from the Stormlight Archives books

Some other objects could be
Guardian Bear Rug: A bear rug that has the statistics of the bear it was made from & will attack on a command word.
Lord's Map: A map of the area complete with tiny, tiny miniatures that move about like the people/creatures in the area. (probably the size of a very large room)
A lifesize chess set with golems or such as the pieces.
A set of clothes that can change shape size & color, so you always look your best
Living hedges that change shape at your command
An animated puppet theatre
A mirror that shows you wearing any garment you program it to.

blazingshadow
2012-01-12, 03:09 AM
scrying mirrors attuned to some beautiful landscapes.

a frying pan that doesn't need fire to cook and can spice the food on command

mugs that refill themselves with whatever the drinker commands

not a "good" but more like a servant spellcaster/bard to provide entertainment and/or narrate stories via illusions

house paint that changes color with the season

animated brooms and cleaning tools that clean stuff by themselves

can't think of anything else right now.

Elemental
2012-01-12, 03:51 AM
Are you sure it's a wise idea to bring a broom to life?

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-12, 06:01 AM
Again, system and edition is a big factor. Exalted has given quite a bit of thought to the question, "Just how hedonistic can these ****s get?"

Case in point: Winterbreath Jars, Resplendent Personal Assistants, Thousand Comforts Lounge, Infinite Resplendence Amulets, Beasts of Resplendent Liquids, celestial cocaine, Heavenly Ecstasy Aides, the Many-Stalked Flower of Delight, and so many other such examples...

Elemental
2012-01-12, 07:14 AM
If you're tired of having the lawn mowed, and you still want one, why not try the latest in luxury household constructs?

Lawn Horse!

For only a massive, undetermined sum of money, you can purchase a set of miniature horse constructs to keep your lawn trimmed. Each horse comes with an inbuilt disintegration mechanism to dispose of grass clippings, and are one hundred percent guaranteed to obey your instructions.
Lawn Horse comes with a two hundred year warranty, and is available in a variety of colours and finishes.
And as a special offer, the next two hundred Senders will receive the premium platinum coasted adamantium model at a slightly reduced cost!
If you're not completely satisfied within the first nine years, return the Lawn Horse back for a full refund, minus telepostage.
So what are you waiting for? Send now!

DigoDragon
2012-01-12, 08:24 AM
Self-cleaning toilet. Create Water to fill the basin, Disintegrate to clear out your contribution, and Prestidigitation to wipe it down while leaving a lemony-fresh scent.

I always wanted one of those. :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2012-01-12, 08:54 AM
If you're tired of having the lawn mowed, and you still want one, why not try the latest in luxury household constructs?

Lawns are actually a fairly modern concept, and the effective way to keep them down is more useful anyways. You can eat sheep, magical lawnmowers merely mow lawns.

askandarion
2012-01-12, 10:55 AM
Lawns are actually a fairly modern concept, and the effective way to keep them down is more useful anyways. You can eat sheep, magical lawnmowers merely mow lawns.

So naturally the stupidly rich will be buying these up by the boatload.

Narren
2012-01-12, 11:41 AM
Self-cleaning toilet. Create Water to fill the basin, Disintegrate to clear out your contribution, and Prestidigitation to wipe it down while leaving a lemony-fresh scent.

And it makes for a makeshift weapon if you feel like shoving someones face in there and flushing!

Anderlith
2012-01-12, 12:20 PM

I think a couple of Gelatinous Cubes would work better for waste disposal

askandarion
2012-01-12, 12:21 PM
Magical lights around the house that can light up in various colors and patterns, with special designs around holidays.

Related to animals: dungeonbred versions of animals for a miniature zoo. (A giraffe the size of a chihuahua?)

Floating furniture such as bookshelves and lanterns- including permanent images for artworks... Is it possible to have programmed images that can be reshaped as desired?

A mithril construct shaped like a butler, decked out in as many precious metals and jewels as the floor can hold without breaking.

Zale
2012-01-12, 12:59 PM
A hair ribbion/accessory that keeps hair in the exact same style it was when it was put on. Even before a gale force wind, they won't have a hair out of place.

A permanent unseen servant horde.

Endure Elements cloaks.

Custom programmed illusions that play any music desired, plus a illusionary bard.

Golem Bouncers to keep out the common rabble.

kieza
2012-01-12, 03:00 PM
Clothing that changes shape and color

Horseless carriages

A "discretion field" that encourages people to not notice you

A "publicity field" that encourages people to notice you

This is more of a service, but permanent Polymorphing to take the place of plastic surgery

Magical contraceptives

zorba1994
2012-01-12, 05:58 PM
Magical contraceptives

I believe the 3.5 FR campaign book had a list of herbs that can be used as contraceptives (as well as very detailed descriptions as to what they look/smell/taste like) towards the end.

Elemental
2012-01-12, 11:15 PM
Well, the purpose of novelty items is not to be practical, but to get lazy rich people, I mean, discerning consumers to buy them.
And besides, who wouldn't want a small herd of shiny miniature horses on their lawn? Much more attractive than sheep.

"Finally, a semi-practical lawn ornament. I can get rid of my flamingos!" - Laura Wesley, wealthy heiress and satisfied customer.

Anderlith
2012-01-13, 01:23 AM
I house that is bigger on the inside than the outside.

Urpriest
2012-01-13, 02:00 AM

Lawn Horse!

For only a massive, undetermined sum of money, you can purchase a set of miniature horse constructs to keep your lawn trimmed. Each horse comes with an inbuilt disintegration mechanism to dispose of grass clippings, and are one hundred percent guaranteed to obey your instructions.
Lawn Horse comes with a two hundred year warranty, and is available in a variety of colours and finishes.
And as a special offer, the next two hundred Senders will receive the premium platinum coasted adamantium model at a slightly reduced cost!
If you're not completely satisfied within the first nine years, return the Lawn Horse back for a full refund, minus telepostage.
So what are you waiting for? Send now!

Something like this?
http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/d/d0/Clockwork_Horror.jpg
If you're not fully satisfied, don't worry! You can be raw materials for the next set!

Elemental
2012-01-13, 02:58 AM
Something like this?
http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/d/d0/Clockwork_Horror.jpg
If you're not fully satisfied, don't worry! You can be raw materials for the next set!

Something like that, but sleeker and more stylish.
And remember! One hundred percent guaranteed to obey your instructions!

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-13, 03:06 AM
This is more of a service, but permanent Polymorphing to take the place of plastic surgeryAlso done in Exalted with the various mutation stuff...

Magical contraceptivesLikewise done in Exalted. Heck, that one's even in the core book; I'm surprised I forgot it. :smalleek:

Elemental
2012-01-13, 06:17 AM
Thaumaton!
The automated, thaumaturgic, bibliomatic assistant!

Thaumaton is designed to assist in your day to day activities, whether they be solving the mysteries of the universe, or baking a pie.
Every Thaumaton unit comes with an encyclopaedic store of knowledge, is ready to learn more and is capable of performing a wide range of tasks. Thaumaton can achieve this thanks to innovative new achievements in telekinesis, levitation and its ruby crystal eye.
All this in a space less than a crystal ball!
Teach it arcane magical theory! Teach it gardening! And while you're at it, why not teach it your favourite card games?
Note: Under no circumstances teach it philosophy or its reason for existence. Do not allow it to acquire too much knowledge or let it test the limits of its capabilities. Do not insult the Thaumaton or disrespect it in anyway. If you do any of these things, your Thaumaton may turn dangerous and attempt to rule the world, if this happens, read volumes 9-27 of the manual. For further queries, contact the customer support department.
Order now!

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-13, 09:56 AM
Gain a Aboleth Bard flunky somehow. Via a combination of high int, lots of knowledge ranks, bardic knowledge, scholar's touch, eidetic lock and autohypnosis the Bard essentially becomes a sort of compact living library. A optional additional step is turning it into a Husk Globe(Libris Mortis) so that it is a compact unliving library.

Elemental
2012-01-14, 03:15 AM
Gain a Aboleth Bard flunky somehow. Via a combination of high int, lots of knowledge ranks, bardic knowledge, scholar's touch, eidetic lock and autohypnosis the Bard essentially becomes a sort of compact living library. A optional additional step is turning it into a Husk Globe(Libris Mortis) so that it is a compact unliving library.

As useful as that sounds, I don't think it'd be easy to market. People seem to have an illogical prejudice against having undead things in their living room.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-14, 05:02 AM
Cast a permanent image on it so that it looks like a ball full of candy? :smalltongue:

Elemental
2012-01-14, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure that's wise. What if some child thinks it really is candy? I don't think there's really much chance for hilarity to ensue if that happens.
Hmmm... Perhaps a Permanent Image of a globe? That way it's even more practical!

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-14, 06:32 AM
Genius! :D

Gnoman
2012-01-14, 04:48 PM
You're in luck, if you can find the books in question. One of the third party publishers (Mongoose, I think, but not certain until I check my books) published a pair of equipment books that had, in addition to the expected weapons, armor and utility items, many luxury goods. Magical paint that moved in tune to music, exotic magical foods, and holy beer were among them. I'll be able to tell you more in a bit.

These are the Ultimate Equipment Guide I and II, from Mongoose publishing. II has more of this sort of item in it.