PDA

View Full Version : Skeletal minion questions

gooddragon1
2012-01-11, 06:37 PM
1>
Can casting protection vs evil prevent my skeletal minion (wizard necromancy specialization deal) from being commanded by a cleric.

2>
Does my skeletal minion have warrior proficiencies or is it only proficient with light armor, shields, simple weapons, and scimitars?

Madara
2012-01-11, 09:08 PM
1. No, it is not an enchanment/mind control effect.
2. I'm not sure, but I believe its the latter.

Vinyl Scratch
2012-01-11, 09:25 PM
To answer your second question, the Undead type in the Monster Manuel glossary does say that undead are proficient with their natural attacks, simple weapons, and whatever they come standard with in the entry. In terms of armor its equipped with in its entry, and anything else lighter. If it comes with a shield, its proficient with that too.

So for your Skeleton, yes the latter is true.

gooddragon1
2012-01-11, 09:32 PM
1. No, it is not an enchanment/mind control effect.
2. I'm not sure, but I believe its the latter.

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.

Commanded

A commanded undead creature is under the mental control of the evil cleric. The cleric must take a standard action to give mental orders to a commanded undead. At any one time, the cleric may command any number of undead whose total Hit Dice do not exceed his level. He may voluntarily relinquish command on any commanded undead creature or creatures in order to command new ones.

Blocks attempts at mental control. This includes the ones mentioned but does not limit to those ones mentioned.

Won't stop a dispel magic from removing the protection unfortunately but at least it's a buffer.

On the second point... I feared as much.