PDA

View Full Version : Contingent Other?

Jheska
2012-01-11, 08:48 PM
Looking to play a certain kind of minion mancer, the kind who's minions die spontaneously should they become comprised. Now the obvious answer at first seemed contingency but I don't know of a way to get it on another person.

If there are other ways to achieve this I'd be really grateful hear them.

Thanks in advance playground :smallsmile:

-Edit: In addition to this I plan on combining permenancied telepathic links with the Necrotic tumor spell and the mind rape spell to effectively create an army of bodies with the same overall mind, though all but one of them will likely be level 1 npc classes.

Madara
2012-01-11, 09:19 PM
Necrotic Cyst spells might be useful, or a custom cursed magic item.

Ernir
2012-01-11, 09:28 PM
You can use the Craft Contingent Spell feat from Complete Arcane. Should be easy to accomplish the effect you want with it.

Note that the feat is broken.

Eisenfavl
2012-01-11, 09:35 PM
Technically necrotic cysts allow for stacking, so that is an excellent option if you can spare the feat.

All you have to do is get a diminutive undead, like a skeletal rat, to stay with the creature and attack it if it is compromised. The attack will do 1 + Xd6 damage, where X is the number of cysts you have loaded into them.

Edit during post:
Oh wow you have level nines. Okay if it's people that weak just make them ultra-loyal and tell them to commit suicide. A single coup-de-grace should kill them.

gkathellar
2012-01-11, 09:36 PM
You can use the Craft Contingent Spell feat from Complete Arcane. Should be easy to accomplish the effect you want with it.

Note that the feat is broken.

It is also a key component of the most hilariously awesome caster builds around.

Eisenfavl
2012-01-11, 09:39 PM
Actually reading the BoVD I see the master ring/slave ring.
It costs you a fair amount for the master ring, but only 500 per slave ring and it removes the need for telepathic bonds. 3d6 is nearly an instant kill on first level NPC's, and you can do it every round.

Jheska
2012-01-11, 09:40 PM
The problem being if anyone mentally controls them or reads their mind I want them dead on the spot, hence contingency.

Self cou's sadly wont work here.

Will check out contingent spell.

-Edit: Alas with the scale I intend to work on that feat aint feasible. I'm looking to control about 170 people at any given time.

Eisenfavl
2012-01-11, 09:50 PM
And you are willing to permanency that many level 5 spells?
Just out of curiosity, what's your escape plan for the massive XP cost?

Also: shouldn't necrotic tumour prevent mind control from working, because you still have absolute control? Unless the opposition hit them with dispel, which is likely to stop most methods.

Jheska
2012-01-11, 09:58 PM
I intend to either spend a shocking quantity of gold on scrolls or get my liquid pain on.

Was not aware of the side effect of the tumor, thank you kindly. I intend to give them all most of my memories and personality however so a method of destruction may still be warrented.

If a better/longer duration method of mindlinking is open I'm all ears.

gkathellar
2012-01-11, 10:04 PM
Was not aware of the side effect of the tumor, thank you kindly. I intend to give them all most of my memories and personality however so a method of destruction may still be warrented.

... are you playing Doctor Doom?

"We've got you now, Jheska!"
"Blast! Wait ... sudden pain ... strange tingling ..."
"Oh no, he's a Jheskabot, and now that he's been captured he'll self-destruct! Watch out!"

Jack_Simth
2012-01-11, 10:13 PM
There's a specific spell for it in Exemplars of Evil: Infallible Servant. Cleric 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Druid 4, Necromancy[Evil], hours/level duration. Minion dissolves into foul sludge if slain or captured by nonevil people.

If you can find a way to cast Personal spells on your minions, makes a great combination with Death Throes (Spell Compendium).

Eisenfavl
2012-01-12, 02:31 AM
Reading liquid pain, it only works for item crafting so you have to craft items of permanency... or something.

Dark craft XP from sacrificing could fill this role.
Really if you have knowledges and a legion of peasants or even awakened animals, or hell, fiends.

Seriously, acquire 1 troll, bound and gagged, and cursed for lower con + lower saves, greater curse really helps here. Planar bind 1 ekloid, tell it to spam babies out of the troll. Allow babies to grow up in ludicrously short time (in 'a few hours') and then dismiss the original. Have all of the babies keep stinging it and collect all of their grubs. Sacrifice and which reach full (6) hit dice immediately. With just a desecrated and unhallowed alter, that's 7 (9 if it's a applicable, vermin portfolio'd god) bonus to your check which you are taking ten for dark craft and gold.
Within RAW the single application of dark craft XP/gold allows you to still use your gargantuan stockpile of spare ekloid soul juice.

Don't have exemplars so I can't verify that, but it sounds good.

Darrin
2012-01-12, 12:49 PM
If you can find a way to cast Personal spells on your minions, makes a great combination with Death Throes (Spell Compendium).

Glyph Seals (MIC) or Skull Talismans (Frostburn) can be used to cast Personal spells on your minions.

Adding Fatal Flame (Complete Scoundrel) to Death Throes is quite nifty, although the 1 min/CL duration quite stinkeths.

Slipperychicken
2012-01-12, 12:59 PM
It is also a key component of the most hilariously awesome caster builds around.

Also a good excuse for him to escape/survive if the PCs kill him too early:smallbiggrin: