PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Mnemonic Enhancer

gkathellar
2012-01-11, 09:58 PM
Mnemonic Enhancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mnemonicEnhancer.htm) is normally a wizard-only spell, and its entire design is based around spell preparation. It's not a great spell unless it's on a wand, but that's besides that point. I'm curious what happens when a spontaneous caster uses Mnemonic Enhancer, which is doable via Versatile Spellcaster cheese.

For those who are unfamiliar with the trick, Versatile Spellcaster lets you cast any spell you know for the price of two spontaneous spell slots of one level lower. If you can cast spells as a wizard (from a wizard level, or from the Magical Training feat) you know all of the spells scribed in your spellbook. Which means you can cast wizard spells spontaneously with either two feats or one feat and a class level.

Now, normally spontaneous casters can't cast Mnemonic Enhancer. It's a wizard-only spell. What happens, then, when you cast it with Versatile Spellcaster? The Prepare option would seem to only effect your actual wizard casting, so no dice there. But what happens when you use the Retain option?

Does it restore your two spontaneous spell slots?
Does it give you a single higher level spell slot?
Do you prepare and potentially cast the spell as a wizard despite not actually having enough wizard spellcasting to do?
Or do you "prepare" the spell as a spontaneous spellcaster, whatever that means? And if this is true, is the spell then on your actual spontaneous spell list?

Psyren
2012-01-11, 11:12 PM
Only your DM can really answer these questions.

For myself, I would rule that a spontaneous caster only gets the "Retain" ability, recovering previously cast spells. The "Prepare" ability would do nothing, because it states:

You prepare and cast these spells normally.

Since "normal" preparation for spontaneous casters is no preparation at all, they get no benefit.

The exception would be if the spontaneous caster using this spell had the Arcane Preparation feat, which "normally" gives them one slot they can prepare in.