PDA

View Full Version : Gish + Spell Point Casting! (3.5/P Base Class, P.E.A.C.H.)

Kane0
2012-01-12, 12:52 AM
Please keep in mind this is intended for Pathfinder.

The Arcane Warrior

Fluff:

Premise: The Arcane Warrior is the Arcane equivalent of the Psychic Warrior. They gain respectable spellcasting skill as well as martial prowess but lie somewhere between the two, acting as a jack of all trades (though less than a bard would). They have the ability to create and improve their own weapons, shields and armor but the skill is limited, and they must carefully managed their resource pool for this. As they progress along their career they find ways to link together their fighting power and Arcane knowledge, often choosing to improve one over the other or to combine them into an effective whole.

Races: Any race with access to both Arcane knowledge and martial skill can be an Arcane Warrior.

Alignment: Any. Both Wizards and Warriors have no universal moral codes, so those that dip into both fields share this trait.

Attributes: Strength and Constitution are important for fighting, but you can just as easily switch strength for dexterity to suit your build and taste. Intelligence is the only hard prerequisite as it controls your spellcasting.

Party Role: A hard one to figure out sometimes, you often serve best by flanking and supporting in a fight, and your versatility with the spells you know should help you cover the bases your party is lacking. You can fight up front but you wont last long, and you can cast but only as well as say a bard. Find a place between the two and you will be at your most useful.

Religion: Mostly either gods of strength, knowledge or magic, but not always. There are as many Arcane Warriors that spurn the deities as there are worshiping them.

Other Classes: You get along well with both Arcane Caters and font line Warriors but see them both as a bit narrow minded not to at least consider expanding their skill base. Other classes you judge on a case-by-case basis.

Armor Proficiency: Light
Weapon Proficiency: Simple
HP: d8
Skills: 2 + Int Mod
Casting Ability: Intelligence
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Fly, Know (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Engineering, Planes) Profession, Survival, Swim, Use Magic Device

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special Abilities | Spells Known | Spell Points
1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +0 | Spellcasting, 1st Level Spells, Path of Might or Magic | 1 | 1
2nd | +1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | Armored Casting (Light) | 2 | 2
3rd | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Might and Magic |3 | 3
4th | +3 | +1 | +1 | +1 | 2nd Level Spells | 4 | 6
5th | +3 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Magic Armament | 5 | 9
6th | +4 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Might and Magic | 6 | 11
7th | +5 | +2 | +2 | +2 | 3rd Level Spells | 7 | 16
8th | +6/+1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Magic Armament Effect (+1) | 8 | 21
9th | +6/+1 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Might and Magic | 9 | 24
10th | +7/+2 | +3 | +3 | +3 | 4th Level Spells | 10 | 31
11th | +8/+3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Improved Magic Armament | 11 | 38
12th | +9/+4 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Might and Magic | 12 | 42
13th | +9/+4 | +4 | +4 | +4 | 5th level Spells | 13 | 51
14th | +10/+5 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Magic Armament Effect (+2) | 14 | 60
15th | +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Might and Magic | 15 | 65
16th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +5 | 6th Level Spells | 16 | 76
17th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Greater Magic Armament | 17 | 87
18th | +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Might and Magic | 18 | 93
19th | +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Magic Armament Effect (+3) | 19 | 99
20th | +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Path of Might and Magic | 20 | 105
[/table]

Class Abilities:
Spellcasting:
An Arcane Warrior can cast any spell he knows at any time by paying the corresponding number of Spell points. A spell costs points equal to its spell level.
-An Arcane Warrior gains bonus Spell Points equal to his intelligence modifier multiplied by half his Arcane Warrior level.
-All metamagic costs extra spell points equal to double the amount of spell slots that would normally be increased
-An Arcane Warrior draws spells from the Magus spell list
-An Arcane Warrior cannot learn spells as a Wizard does, nor does he have a spellbook. All his spells are committed to memory.
Cantrips:
-An Arcane Warrior begins with knowledge of 4 + Int modifier Cantrips.
-Cantrips are spell level 0 and thus can be used with no spell point expenditure, essentially limitlessly, although you must have at least one spell point remaining to cast cantrips.
-An Arcane Warrior learns one new cantrip every Arcane Warrior level until he knows all cantrips.

Armored Casting (Light):
At level 2 the Arcane Warrior can cast spells in light armor with no chance of Arcane Spell Failure.

Path of Might or Magic:
At level one the Arcane Warrior chooses either his Fortitude or Will save to increase to the good progression speed. The save you did not pick increases to the 'medium' save progression. This decision can never be changed.

Might and Magic:
The Arcane Warrior gains bonus abilities at level 3 and every 3 levels thereafter up until level 18. He can select one ability from this list each time:

Might and Magic Abilities

- Bonus Fighter Feat
- Bonus Wizard Feat
- Can make ranged weapons as well as melee weapons using Magic Weapon. Thrown weapons automatically gain the returning ability. This enables viability for the arcane archer prestige class.
- Adds 1/4 his caster level to inititative checks
- Learns 2 new spells of any spell level up to highest spell level known
- AC bonus equal to Int modifier (Minimum level 6)
- When wearing light armor and have Magic Armament active, Int bonus to AC
- can deliver touch attacks with summoned weapon attack (minimum level 6)
- Damage bonus on all summoned weapon attacks equal to int bonus (Minimum level 6)
- Can use his caster level in place of his Base Attack Bonus for spells that require touch or ranged touch attacks, and negates up to 10% concealment when attacking (Minimum level 6)
- The Arcane Warrior can now add his strength modifier to his checks to overcome Spell Resistance (minimum level 9)
- Can expend spell points to gain a bonus to either attack, damage or ac equal to half the number of Spell Points sacrificed for a number of rounds equal to half your Arcane Warrior level. The maximum amount of Spell Points that can be spent is 10. You can use this ability as long as you have the available Spell Points, but can only have one active at any given time.
- Can add strength modifier to all Spell DCs. (Minimum level 12)
- Add 4 to the maximum damage dice of all spells (Minimum level 12)
- Add caster level to any damage dealt on a critical hit, added after damage is multiplied (minimum level 15)
- Heal or regain Spell Points by dispelling, absorbing or using SR to block harmful spells cast at him by enemies (Minimum level 15)
- Increase to Spell Points and HP equal to Int modifier x Str modifier (minimum level 18)
- Increase Fort or Ref save (the one you didnt pick at level 1) to the good progression (minimum level 18)
- Increase BAB to full progression (minimum level 18)

Magic Armament:
The Arcane Warrior can create from his arcane energies his own weapons and shields. He can create any simple weapon and/or any small shield. He is treated as proficient in any weapon or shield he summons.
- The summoned weapon(s) and/or shield lasts one hour per Arcane Warrior level
- If summoning two weapons they must be identical (including magical effects when you gain access to them)
- Once the Arcane Warrior has chosen his summoned armament for the day the decision cannot be altered until the next day
- These weapons and shields are magical and have a +1 enchantment bonus per 4 Arcane Warrior levels
- These weapons and shields have no weight but can be destroyed, with hardness 10 and 10 HP. A destroyed weapon or shield cannot be remade until the Arcane Warrior rests.
- Shields have no Armor Check Penalty, Max Dex bonus or chance of Arcane Spell Failure. The hand it is using always counts as a free hand for casting spells.
- summoning the armanents for the first time in a day reuires a standard action for the first and another standard action for the second (or a full roud action for both). Summoning them at any point after that requires the same action as it would to equip or unsheath them normally.
- If the Arcane Warrior is disarmed or otherwise stops holding his weapon or shield it dissipates, taking the same required action time to renew (as if picking up, unsheathing, etc)
- Summoned Weapons counts as a weapon type for feats such as weapon focus and improved critical
- Summoned weapons and shields cannot be subject to spells that affect weapons or shields (Magic Weapon, Flame Weapon, etc)
- Summoned weapons and shields will not function in under the effects of antimagic unless the Arcane Warrior makes a DC 20 concentration check (one check for each piece of equipment)

Magic Armament Effect:
The Arcane Warrior can apply magical effects to his summoned weapons or shields. These effects are chosen at the time of summoning and cannot be changed until the weapons are next summoned (after the Arcane Warrior rests).
- The effects applied can be in any legal combination up to the maximum indicated (+1 at level 8, +2 at level 14 and +3 at level 19) for each piece of equipment.
- These magical effects last as long as the summoned armament does.

Improved Magic Armament
- The Arcane Warrior can now select any simple or martial melee weapon when creating his weapons, or a small or large shield when creating his shield
- The hardness of all weapons and shields increases by 5 and HP by 10
- Summoned weapons now count as any one material required to bypass damage reduction, and summoned shields count as any one material required to activate damage reduction. Once these have been set/used they cannot be changed until the armament is next summoned.
- Summoned dual weapons now need not be identical

Greater Magic Armament
- The Arcane Warrior can now select any simple, martial or exotic melee weapon when creating his weapons
- The hardness of all weapons and shields increases by a further 5 and HP by another 10
- Summoned weapons now count as any one alignment required to bypass damage reduction, and summoned shields count as any one alignment required to activate damage reduction. Once these have been set/used they cannot be changed until the armament is next summoned.
- The Arcane Warrior gains a +4 bonus when making concentration checks to maintain summoned weapons from dispelling or antimagic

Path of Might and Magic:
- All spells the Arcane Warrior casts now do not provoke Attacks of opportunity
- when making a full attack an Arcane Warrior can choose to cast a spell as part of that attack
- As a standard action, for a number of rounds per day equal to his Con modifier x Int modifier, the Arcane Warrior can summon an extra martial weapon that acts as if animated, moving separately from the Arcane Warrior within 30ft and attacking with his normal attack bonus. He cannot deliver touch spells through this extra weapon, nor does it gain attacks of opportunity or grant a free casting of a spell with a full attack. This weapon uses the Arcane Warriors saves but has AC 25 and HP equal to the arcane warriors caster level times INT modifier. The arcane warrior must expend a free action every round to maintain concentration on the extra weapon.

NOTES:
- No more dead levels now
- The capstone still needs tweaking.
- I am lacking the amount of Might and Magic options i would like (i was aiming for at least 2 new options every 3 levels)
- Early level Spell Points tweaked
If you have any ideas please don't hesitate to let me know!

The old Magic Weapons\Shields system I had, just in case you were curious:

Enhancement points:
The Arcane Warrior gains one enhancement point per Arcane Warrior level, or one for every two levels in other classes.

Magic Weapon:
The Arcane Warrior can create a weapon made of arcane energy for up to one hour per level. This can be any simple or martial melee weapon with damage die of 1d3 or less. This costs one enchantment point to create.
-This limit on damage die increases by one step every level, to 1d4 at level 2, 1d6 at level 3, and so on.
-The Arcane Warrior can also dual wield identical Magic Weapons. They must be simple melee weapons of damage dice two steps lower than your maximum (beginning at 1d3) and it costs 2 enchantment points to create the second weapon, which recieves the same enchantments as the main one at no extra cost. The normal rules for two weapon fighting apply.
-If the Arcane Warrior creates a Magical weapon they are not proficient in, they incur the normal -4 penalty unless they pay an enchantment point to negate it
-If disarmed or otherwise stops holding his Magic Weapon it dissipates, taking the same required action time to renew (as if picking up, unsheathing, etc)
-The Magic Weapon can be damaged and broken as if it had hardness 5 and 20 HP. Recreating the Weapon after being destroyed takes a standard action and an enchantment Point
-The Magic Weapon counts as a weapon type for feats such as weapon focus and improved critical, and as a magical weapon for overcoming damage reduction
-The Magic Weapon cannot be subject to Magic Weapon spells, Flame Weapon spells, or anything of the like
-The magic weapon will not function in under the effects of antimagic unless the Arcane Warrior makes a concentration check equal to ????

Magic Shield:
The Arcane Warrior can use his arcane energy to create a magical shield for one hour per level. This costs one enchantment point
-At level one this can only be a buckler. At level 3 it can be a small shield and at level 5 a large shield
-The shield has no chance of Arcane Spell Failure, no Maximum Dexterity Bonus, no Armor Check Penalty and is weightless
-If disarmed or otherwise stops holding his Magic Shield it dissipates, taking the same required action time to renew (as if picking up, re-equipping etc)
-The Magic Shield can be damaged and broken as if it had hardness 10 and 30 HP. Recreating the shield after being destroyed takes a standard action and an enchantment point.
-The Arcane Warrior is treated as proficient with this shield and always has a free hand when wielding it, but cannot use weapons in that hand unless he is using the buckler form.

Enchant Equipment:
All Magic Weapons, Magic shields and Light Armor worn by an Arcane Warrior can gain an enchantment bonus of up to +1 per 4 Arcane Warrior level. The Arcane Warrior can choose to apply other magical qualities equal to the total echantment he can currently apply to his Magic Weapon, Magic Shield or light armor in place of this bonus
-This does not extend to manufactured or natural weapons other than the light armor he is wearing.
This Bonus disappears when the Arcane Warrior releases or unequips the equipment, and it will only function for him.
-Applying or altering enchantments on any of your weapons, shield or armor will cost an amount of enchantment points equal to the enchantment bonus (or its equivalent) added or changed

Improved Magic Weapon:
The Arcane Warrior's Magic Weapon can now also be any exotic Melee weapon.
-Additionally the Arcane Warrior can now create two Magic Weapons within the melee martial category, or a martial double weapon. The normal rules for two weapon fighting apply.
-The Pair of Magic Weapons now need not be identical. They can now each be any simple or martial weapon.
-The Arcane Warrior can use different enchantments on each of them, tracking them separately under his Enchant Equipment ability

Improved Enchant Equipment:
-The Arcane Warriors' magic Weapon counts as any material necessary to penetrate damage reduction.
-The Arcane Warrior's Armor, Magic Weapon and Shield have their hardness improved by 5, HP improved by 10, and regenerate HP at a rate of 1 per round
-The Arcane Warrior's Armor no longer has any Armor Check Penalty, and its weight is reduced by half

Greater Magic Weapon:
-The Arcane Warrior's Magic Weapon can now be any melee weapon
-Additionally the Arcane Warrior can now use any two melee magic weapons or double weapon
-The Arcane Warriors' Magic Weapon no longer requires a concentration check to maintain within an Antimagic zone. This extends to his shield and armor enchantments as well.

Kane0
2012-01-12, 12:58 AM
Reserved just in case.

Feat: Extra Might & Magic
Requirements: Might & Magic class feature

You can select another Might & Magic ability that you qualify for.

bobthe6th
2012-01-12, 10:23 AM
(Note, I know little of 3.P. if I get something openly wrong that's why.)
A deaper Peach will come later... but my thoughts now:
The items go from really sad to nice. I sugest leting them come in at a higher level, comeing all at once.

One martial prof would be a good way to limit fighteriness without gimping the entire class in early levels.

Let the magic items work like soul melds.

Kane0
2012-01-22, 01:17 AM
Okay, in hindsight im going to rework the magically created weapons/shields, then maybe add abilities based on the usage of them. I think the spellcasting seems pretty balanced right now, just need to work on the abilities.

EDIT: Done tweaking for the time being. The class is a lot more streamlined and simplified now. PEACH away!

SpaceBadger
2012-01-22, 08:19 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. Under Might & Magic abilities, there are several that mention Enchantment Points, but I don't see Enchantment Points anywhere else in this. What are Enchantment Points? Is this a leftover from a previous draft?

I like this class. I have an Arcane Warrior in the PF E6 classes I have been working on. (Yay gishes!) I like your summoned armaments!

Kane0
2012-01-23, 07:37 PM
Yes sorry, enchantment points were from the previous version. Im working on cleaning that up properly when i finish work lol

EDIT: Fixed those references.

crazydude369
2012-01-23, 08:53 PM
Cool idea, good execution. Feels like they should have concentration as a class skill though, especially since they need it to keep their weapons facing anti-magic. Also, there was no listed armor or weapon proficiency, and what exactly is the action required to summon a weapon/shield?

Kane0
2012-01-23, 10:56 PM
Good point, ill add the action cost to summon in.

Because this was meant with pathfinder in mind i didnt add concentration but it wouldnt hurt, ill put that in now

zegram 33
2012-01-25, 09:27 AM
nice weapon sumoning class, mine appears a little ouclassed in comparison :smalleek:

i think metamagic could be put a bit less clunkily, maybe say "double the level offset" for i or some such?

i think you mean "shields have NO armour check penalty etc" based on the wording used afterwards?

as for the capstone, what about stealing the level 13 ability from my blademaster, so he can smmon weapons with a 1 round duration twice a round as a free action?
that way you can adapt to any situation by summoning a net or shield or throwing weapon or otherwise whatever you needed?
might not fit with the theme, but it seems to be a very adaptable class in role and such?

otherwise, very good, seems a very nice class!

Kane0
2012-01-25, 10:05 AM
Thank you :smallsmile:

Duly noted and thise changes have been made, but im not sure about the instant weapon summoning. The versatility for the arcane warrior is in the casting here, not creating any weapon that may be required. The planning and focus point is in the weapon, which can change daily, but i dont want him suddenly changing his summoned sword and board into a spiked chain and essentially retraining every sword feat for spiked chain on the spot, nice as that would be :smallwink:

Although that said perhaps the ability to use it out of your hands, directing them around the battlefield to attack at a distance fr a certain number of rounds per day. Does this sound appropriate, in addition to being immune to aoos from casting?

Or alternatively the ability to include a spell into a full attack? Given that he wouldnt e triggering aoos that might be handy.

Chances are ill remove the ugly aging cause and probably the stat bonuses.

zegram 33
2012-01-25, 12:50 PM
that sounds good, yeh
if he could cast a single weak spell (say 4th level or below or something) after a full attack, that could rock

and yeh, having the weapon be able to be used as if it were a "mages sword" (i THINK the spell is called) might be extremley helpful

Kane0
2012-01-25, 05:08 PM
Capstone updated, added something in that second post

Kane0
2012-01-26, 11:23 PM
EDIT: Updated Spell points again, going by new calculations.

Spell Point Calculations, if your into that sort of thing

{table=head]Level | Highest Spell Level | Number of Spells | Spell Points Gained | Spell Points Total
1st | 1 | +1 1st | +1 | 1
2nd | 1 | +1 1st | +1 | 2
3rd | 1 | +1 1st | +1 | 3
4th | 2 | +1 1st, +1 2nd | +3 | 6
5th | 2 | +1 1st, +1 2nd | +3 | 9
6th | 2 | +1 2nd | +2 | 11
7th | 3 | +1 2nd, +1 3rd | +5 | 16
8th | 3 | +1 2nd, +1 3rd | +5 | 21
9th | 3 | +1 3rd | +3 | 24
10th | 4 | +1 3rd, +1 4th | +7 | 31
11th | 4 | +1 3rd, +1 4th | +7 | 38
12th | 4 | +1 4th | +4 | 42
13th | 5 | +1 4th, +1 5th | +9 | 51
14th | 5 | +1 4th, +1 5th | +9 | 60
15th | 5 | +1 5th | +5 | 65
16th | 6 | +1 5th, +1 6th | +11| 76
17th | 6 | +1 5th, +1 6th | +11 | 87
18th | 6 | +1 6th | +6 | 93
19th | 6 | +1 6th | +6 | 99
20th | 6 | +1 6th | +6 | 105
[/table]

This means that at level 20 you have enough points for 5 spells each of spell levels 1-6, plus 10 x int modifier, allowing metamagic and other abilities

Tenno Seremel
2012-01-26, 11:29 PM
-Cantrips are spell level 0 and thus can be used with no spell point expenditure, essentially limitlessly, although you must have at least one power point remaining to cast cantrips.
Well…

(more filler text here to pass limit)

Kane0
2012-01-27, 07:40 PM
My reasoning behind that was if your out of spell points, your out of magic full stop. That as well as making it harder to limitlessly spam cantrips at low levels. You can of course, but you need to ration your small pool of points to do so.

enderlord99
2012-01-28, 04:44 PM
My reasoning behind that was if your out of spell points, your out of magic full stop. That as well as making it harder to limitlessly spam cantrips at low levels. You can of course, but you need to ration your small pool of points to do so.

I think she means you changed wording from spell point to power point mid-sentence.

Kane0
2012-01-28, 05:22 PM
Ah :smalleek: got it. Will fix that up.