PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How much power and "cheese" can you put on a cleric build?

ranger557
2012-01-12, 03:47 AM
Hi all, I did a thread about asking about cheesy builds for tier 1s but now I'll be specific. How much power and "cheese" can you put in a cleric build? Assume only Pathfinder material is available. Thanks in advance :smallsmile:.

iDesu
2012-01-12, 05:25 AM
With only pathfinder? Well starting at level 1 you can have 20 strength thanks to racial bonuses. The carrying capacity for a 20 str medium creature is 400 lbs so you can carry 800 hunks of cheese and it just goes up from level 1.

TuggyNE
2012-01-12, 06:02 AM
With only pathfinder? Well starting at level 1 you can have 20 strength thanks to racial bonuses. The carrying capacity for a 20 str medium creature is 400 lbs so you can carry 800 hunks of cheese and it just goes up from level 1.

Also try lighten object (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/lighten-object) and ant haul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/ant-haul) at first level to pack in a whole lot more cheese. (If you can arrange to be frightened, combining swallow your fear (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/swallow-your-fear) and moment of greatness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/moment-of-greatness) might be useful for a bit too.)

:smallbiggrin:

sonofzeal
2012-01-12, 06:20 AM
At least in 3.5, if you took the Strength Domain you'd get Enlarge person for a massive boost to hauling, and you could also access it by taking the Magic Domain and using a Wizard scroll of it, which is within WBL even for lvl 1.

Elemental
2012-01-12, 06:57 AM
As a side note, if you decide you want even more cheese, just purchase - or acquire - some pack animals.

TheTick
2012-01-12, 07:24 AM
You know, the OP said how much cheese can be put ON a cleric...might want to know how much it takes to crush one.

sonofzeal
2012-01-12, 07:29 AM
You know, the OP said how much cheese can be put ON a cleric...might want to know how much it takes to crush one.
Depends how far it's fallen. I think CW has the tables for that.

Elemental
2012-01-12, 07:33 AM
Crushing is a bit different from smashing.
I did a quick Google search, and the best answer I could find was 1400lbs to crush a human skull.

After another quick search and some calculations, about forty-four cubic feet of grated cheddar will crush a human skull.
Why you'd want to stack that much cheddar on a cleric's head is an interesting question though.

Just thinking about it, I think I might have a cheese sandwich...

Gettles
2012-01-12, 08:01 AM
Crushing is a bit different from smashing.
I did a quick Google search, and the best answer I could find was 1400lbs to crush a human skull.

After another quick search and some calculations, about forty-four cubic feet of grated cheddar will crush a human skull.
Why you'd want to stack that much cheddar on a cleric's head is an interesting question though.

Just thinking about it, I think I might have a cheese sandwich...

Forty four cubic feet of cheese? Not bad, but I think we can do better. If we find a cheese less dense then cheddar (would swiss be cheating?) we could probably stack even more cheese.

Pilo
2012-01-12, 08:24 AM
Level 1 cleric

25pts buy:

Race : Orc +4str -2 to all Mental stats ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/monsters-as-pcs#TOC-Orc )

Str : 18+4 (-17) = 22
Dex : 7 (+4) = 7
Con : 10 (+0) = 10
Int : 9 -2 (+1) = 7
Wis : 18-2 (-17) = 16
Cha : 7-2 (+4) = 5

Domains : Strength and one other

Spell 1 : Enlarge (domain)
Ant Haul
one other.

With Enlarge his strength reach 24 and he become large so his max load is 700lbs *2 = 1400lbs.
With Ant haul, it is 3 times higher so 4200lbs or 2100kg of cheese that he can carry.

sonofzeal
2012-01-12, 08:34 AM
Forty four cubic feet of cheese? Not bad, but I think we can do better. If we find a cheese less dense then cheddar (would swiss be cheating?) we could probably stack even more cheese.
The above was assuming grated cheese. Swiss wouldn't be an improvement. However, a dry cheese like Parmesan might offer more.

For example, using Pilo's figures, it would 350 cubic feet of grated parmesan to exceed that cleric's maximum load. Merely crushing a normal human skull would take only 116 cubic feet.

Pilo
2012-01-12, 09:19 AM
It is an orc skull far more restistant than a weak human one!

Qwertystop
2012-01-12, 09:28 AM
Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think of it that way.

ahenobarbi
2012-01-12, 09:50 AM

No actually OP wrote

How much (...) "cheese" can you put in a cleric build? Assume only Pathfinder material is available.

This is a way more boring, but... cleric starts wit no more than 240gp. Chunk of cheese costs 1 sp and weights 0.5 lb so you could get 2400 chunks of cheese, 0.5lb each = 1200lb (about 5 443 kg) of cheese. I didn't play Pathfinder so I don't know maybe there are some feats that give you extra gold at 1st level (or let you purchase stuff cheaper) (there were in Forgotten Realms in 3.5)?

Douglas
2012-01-12, 09:58 AM
Now that we've all gotten the obvious joke of intentionally misinterpreting the OP out the way...

Not that much, really. Most of the cheese that made cleric so incredible in 3.5 did not get included in Pathfinder. Divine Metamagic is out, and most of the best buffs either didn't get included or got nerfed. Plus, clerics lost heavy armor proficiency. None of the classic 3.5 cheese works with only Pathfinder material.

On the flip side, there are a few nasty things that Pathfinder added. For example, Murderous Command (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/murderous-command) and Persistent Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/persistent-spell-metamagic), possibly with a dash of Bouncing Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/bouncing-spell-metamagic) for added reliability. With a well chosen target, that's a pretty extreme save-or-lose starting from a base of a level 1 spell. Add Quicken Spell at high levels for having your opponents slaughter each other even more. Oh, and Extend Spell, of course.

Pilo
2012-01-12, 11:40 AM
You can use born rich to get 900po at creation.
So you can buy 4500 lbs of cheese (around 2250 kg).

But i think your character won't survive if he is under that much cheese.

Tyndmyr
2012-01-12, 12:22 PM
Heh, in the interests of attempting to actually answer him...

1. spells are mostly the same as in 3.5. The cleric still has a great skill list, d8 hit die, good weapon, armor and shield proficiency. Of note is that heavy prof is gone. This is...not major.

2. You get Channel Energy, which is basically smite whatever. This is a situational boost to being a front liner. Basically, you're always going to channel pos energy unless undead, in which case, you want neg energy. Heals you, aoe damages them is the basic goal. Hopefully, any frontliners are the same type as you. Alternate channeling options exist, and can be useful for traditional munchkinry like diplomancing.

3. ACFs...cloistered cleric is still an option. There's also a pile more. Scroll Scholar is not actually bad, as it makes you more skill-based, and gives you some handy SLAs, most importantly, identify. Having slightly weaker channeling in return for basically more spells is totally a good tradeoff. The +5 to a cl check/attack roll/etc is also pretty nifty. Still, divine strategist is probably best for pulling off the traditional god cleric beatstick. Always acts in the surprise round? Yes, please. Adding int to attack is also pretty awesome.

4. There's a few channel based feats. Some are traps, some are pretty good. Channeled Revival is handy, for instance.

Really, it all comes down to what sort of cleric you want. A lot of paths are open.

ranger557
2012-01-12, 01:19 PM
LOL, figures the playgrounders would get me with that pun because of my question. I wonder if I said how much "cheese" can you put on a wizard?.....that would be funny.

Anywho, I'll repharse so hopefully it won't be a thread of a endless cheese river lol.

My question was how powerful can you build a cleric in PF compared to its 3.5 counterpart?

I know some have answered, so thank you :smallbiggrin:. But by the comments i guess DMM cleric is out, how about a good melee cleric, since divine power have been nerfed. Also what about a good support cleric, like the one existed in 3.5 cleric/radiant servant of pelor, is there a equivalent in PF? I mean what is the most powerful build you could get for a cleric? Thanks, no more cheese for me, im stuffed (rubs belly) :smallbiggrin:.

DrDeth
2012-01-12, 03:51 PM
Here’s the point- the “role” of a cleric is heal-bot and party buffer. Without a doubt, this is the MOST boring role in the game, so much so that many DM’s and players often complain that NO ONE wants to “play the cleric”. In order to make up for that 3.5 started to add quite a bit of self-buffing so that a cleric could have fun once in a while as a decent melee/tank character. But 3.5 being 3.5 they WAY overdid it, to the point it was quite easy to build a cleric that out-tanked any “tank” classes. Thus was born “CoDzilla” (Druid being like that from the start, btw), something that as least as far as the “C” part existed mostly on the pages of various Char-opt boards.

PF wisely did away with quite a bit of that cheese, and even made the cleric better at healing. However, it’s still a full spellcaster, and thus is Tier 1, which can always be broken.

The Blood and Murder subdomains can make your cleric pretty darn dangerous in melee combat @ 8th. Of course, if you pile all your boosty spells on yourself, a cleric is still dangerous , cheese or no.