PDA

View Full Version : [OOC] Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Malachei
2012-01-12, 06:07 AM
The Red Hand of Doom

OOC II
(This is the second OOC; the first OOC is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183299))

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af131/Malachei1/Red%20Hand%20of%20Doom/95863.jpg

Welcome!

Welcome to the Red Hand of Doom. Despite all the fun, setting up a play-by-post takes some work, and some ground-rules, as well. This is what the OOC thread is for, apart from our funny conversations and the hilarious comments I'm hoping for.

To define the ground-rules, we need a few decisions – often, I'll ask you for your opinion, as this game is our game (and not mine alone). Sometimes, however, I may simply take a decision. This may occur when I feel the significance of the issue does not justify a poll or discussion – or, if my opinion is firm and I regard the matter as falling into DM's judgment.

Link to the Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182874)

Link to the IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183398)

Cast of Characters
Please see the first post in the IC (see link above).

NPCs will talk in red.

Please go ahead and choose a color for your speech. Please also look for a suitable character portrait / avatar for your character sheet -- which I will also use for your token, which will represent you on the battle map.

Posting

Example of a short post:

The wild-looking man offered a toothy smile that looked more like a baring of teeth - and dangerous-looking, pointed teeth they were, too. He looked from one seated person to the next, his light brown eyes alighting on each one in turn, briefly but intensely. The nostrils of his broad nose were moving, visible to those who were close enough, as he drew in air, scenting.

Strange people, big folk, small folk, smell of spirits and the sea, but Anders calls them friends. Hmm, pretty female. I will wait and see.

Without saying a word, he zeroed in on a free chair in a few leaping bounds, leaned a longbow and a gigantic axe against the wall behind him, and sat down, hunched over the table top, to silently stare at each of his dinner companions from under heavy black eyebrows. His face did not betray his thoughts; it rather exhibited the same expressionlessness as a cat's, or a bear's.

After a moment's thought, he picked up the cutlery to examine it, running a clawed finger over the blade of the knife, then pushed it away and put his own dagger onto the table in its place. For those who cared to look, the dagger looked well taken care of, clean and sharp.

A few general remarks regarding posting:

Please contribute to create a stunning atmosphere for this game by writing quality posts. Generally, the more elaborate your post, the better. Feel free to include your character’s thoughts, but also minor details, such a description of the dagger he’s nervously handling, or the tree she’s leaning against. To encourage interaction, include hooks in your posts for the other PCs and NPCs to act upon. Unless you overdo it, and as long as it does not affect NPCs actively led by the DM, you can even describe people’s actions and reactions to your character. Metagaming NPCs by giving them a distinct personality would probably be too much.
I’d like all of us to post in the same tense. Personally, I’d prefer we’d post in past tense, as in the example above. However, if the majority favors present tense, no problem for me, at all (please state your preference in your post here).
All mechanics, such as stating an action, die rolls, etc. should be in spoilers.
If an information addresses a specific person or persons, please indicate in the spoiler tags by using „@ Character Name“ or „@ Malachei“
Please choose a color your character speaks in (can be bold or not). NPCs will speak in red.
Thoughts should be in italics
I'd suggest that we use the forum dice roller. Please have a look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917)
to see the common issues (such as previewing or editing posts). If you prefer to use InvisibleCastle, this is fine for me, as well.

Posting rate

I understand all of you have commitments other than gaming. My posting rate can vary, as well. However, in order to advance this campaign, please try to ensure a minimum posting rate of 2 / week during general action (i.e. not round-based), and every other day during combat action (i.e. everything which is handled round-based). Please give advance warning of an extended absence, if you can.

During combat, we’ll have to find a way to deal with absences and initiative order. There are several ways to do this, and I'd like your opinion in this:

EDIT: During combat, there is a 24-hour time frame for posting. Within this time frame, you are expected to post your action. The time frame starts with the post which initiates the party's turn (i.e. usually the DM post completing the NPCs' actions). If you're unable to post within 24 hours, your character may be NPC'ed. This does not apply on weekends.

A) Handling Initiative

We could decide to use group initiative. Thus, we don’t have individual initiative. Both sides roll once, with the average modifier applied. This is hard on people who have high initiative modifier. However, it eliminates strict posting order, and thus can save an immense amount of time, because normally, people who are online have to wait until those with a higher initiative have posted.
We could decide to use individual initiative, but have the DM roll all dice for initiative. This would save us two to three days before the first combat round, because otherwise, we’d first have to have everybody roll initiative.
We could use the standard way and live with the delay.

B) Handling Delays

In combat, if a player has not posted within a certain timeframe (such as 48 hours – or how long should we wait?) ...

... the character delays
... the character is NPC’ed
... we wait for the player

Please state your preferences (such as: A1, B2, 36 hours, etc.) in your first post, below.

Other aspects:

The use of immediate actions can prevent the effects of actions and thus make it necessary to edit posts. In the interest of a fast-moving game, if you intend to use an immediate action, please state so immediately after the action occurred. If another character has already acted, I will still allow an immediate action, as long as it does not cause the other character’s action to be in need of editing. Example: The evil cultist shoots a magic ray at Mead and hits, heavily wounding the gnome (who has failed her saving throw). Toliudar has posted that Mead drinks a healing potion, and Grendus has Greg charge the enemy – if Myth would now want Arelwyn to cast Alter Fortune, an immediate action spell, it would probably be too late, since it would require the editing of several posts. However, in live-or-die situations, I will usually allow immediate actions even after others have posted.
The use of the delay and ready actions results in a significant slow-down. Please use these actions only when necessary.

Combat Block

During combat, please include a stat block in your OOC spoilers, such as this (thanks to Noblesse for the fine template):

OOC

Malachei (http://z14.invisionfree.com/Malachei) (with link to your sheet)
Male Neutral Good Human Wizard 11
Ini +6 HP 72/50 (incl. 22 temp. (spell)) Speed 30
AC 20 Touch 16 Flat-footed 18
Fort +8 Ref +8 Will +13
Base Attack Bonus +5
Short Sword +1, flaming +6 (1d6+1, 19-20/x2 +1d6 fire)
AC: Bracers of Armor +4 (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +4 shield (spell))
Save Modifiers: +3 (+3 resistance, abilities)
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 22 (28), Wis 16, Cha 16
Condition: None
Active Spells: Shield (P), Fly (X), Heart of EarthCM
Prepared Spells
Level 1: Shield, Orb of Fire, ...

X = Extended
P = Persisted
E = Empowered
M = Maximized
CM = Complete Mage (you don't have to indicate a source for every spell, but if you can, referencing gets easier for me)

Malachei
2012-01-12, 06:08 AM
Experience

XP Overview (Party)

{table=head] Player | Character | Level | XP Total | Next Level

Carr0t | Gabriel Strazza (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=266698) |
7 |
23400 |

Ladorak | Ser Dunlan Steel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=322348) |
7 |
21000 |

Noblesse | Nicholas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=311771) |
7 |
21000 |

Psydon | Rita Daledare (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=274786) |
7 |
21100 |

RaggedAngel | Aria Silvertongue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=266471) |
7 |
23400 |

Tashalar | Makul (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=340589) |
6 |
18000 |

Toliudar | Mead (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=165554) |
7 |
23400 |

[/table]

XP Overview (per Challenge)

{table=head]Challenge | XP Award
Marauder Attack |

Town Council |

Hydra |

Vraath Keep |

[/table]

Malachei
2012-01-12, 06:09 AM
Reserved....

Malachei
2012-01-12, 06:18 AM
Reserved, as well.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-12, 09:28 AM
Hello, second OOC thread! :smallsmile:

Mal:

Part of my actions this turn involves acting on information I would only receive mid-turn. I figured it would make more sense to resolve the non-contingent part of my post here before putting the whole thing in the IC thread.

Riven ascends 5' (he's now 40' above the ground) and flies to T14, looking out for any other flashes of gold. Now that he's within three squares of the southern towers, before he moves any further (and he is going to move further; he still has 40' of movement left) I need to know where on the top of the southwestern tower he sees the flash of gold--in other words, what square it occupies (that was the reason for my PM; I should have been clearer when I sent it).

Spot check for any other flashes of gold in the area:

[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2012-01-12, 02:16 PM
Huzzah! I'm looking forward to this game picking up steam and getting back to a steady pace in the new year. :smallsmile:

Tashalar
2012-01-13, 02:00 AM
*runs around the thread jubilating* :smallbiggrin:

Carr0t
2012-01-16, 07:11 AM
Migration successful. Subscription active.

That is a lot of posts...

Malachei
2012-01-16, 10:13 AM
@RaggedAngel: I'm not sure Aria's HP are up to date in her statblock.

@Psydon

As Riven closes, he can make out the glittering figure of the horned one (at Z-11).

Carr0t
2012-01-16, 11:43 AM
Wooohoooo for Rita!
And smack him really good ser Dunlan.

Malachei
2012-01-16, 02:00 PM
@Ladorak
Just for the sake of completeness: the spell assumes Ser Dunlan is willing to go, of course.

Toliudar
2012-01-16, 05:07 PM
Much fun. Nice use of the Benign Transposition spell, Psydon!

Ladorak
2012-01-16, 07:00 PM
Just did something fairly stupid:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12543059&postcount=1482

Forgot to update my bookmark, I wondered why everyone was so quiet :smallbiggrin:

Feather Sigil
2012-01-16, 07:33 PM
Ohmygawd, that was badass! I love your in-battle speeches! I knew this was a good idea! Well done, Ladorak! :smallbiggrin: And welcome to the new OOC thread. :smalltongue:

Unless the demon's AC changed between Jasmine's attack and this one, it's between 17 (Gabriel missed on a 16) and 22 (Jasmine hit on a 22). Assuming nothing else stops Dunlan's attacks from hitting, we have either 63 or 82 damage, for a total of 84-103 damage dealt to the demon. :smallsmile:

Malachei
2012-01-16, 08:56 PM
Just did something fairly stupid:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12543059&postcount=1482

Forgot to update my bookmark, I wondered why everyone was so quiet :smallbiggrin:

Nothing stupid, just an excellent attack.

Tashalar
2012-01-17, 02:59 AM
Awesomesauce! What a great attack sequence and nice little speech to boot!

Gogo team good! :smallcool:

Ladorak
2012-01-17, 04:49 PM
Let's hear it for teamwork :)

Malachei
2012-01-18, 05:47 AM
Congratulations! The mage is down :)

I'm waiting for Noblesse.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-18, 07:38 AM
Yes! We did it! :smallsmile: *applauds everyone*

(I was listening to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUXHp0U-QVg) as I booted up my laptop. I read this thread and the IC thread right around 4:59 and started posting this reply around 5:35. The transition to the softer section fit the contemplative moment perfectly as I realized we actually pulled it off. Then came the glorious choir to accentuate the feeling of victory...simply beautiful. ^_^)

Tashalar
2012-01-18, 07:43 AM
Yay! Evul horned one reduced to a mass of spraying blood! :smallcool:

Mal - Noblesse hasn't been online since the 2nd of January. Since Noblesse's characters doesn't really have a target, could we move on? My guess is that he'd heal his druid and animal companion. :smallsmile:

Edit: I'll send Noblesse a PM - but my guess is that he'll only receive it if he comes online.

Malachei
2012-01-18, 07:52 AM
I'll wait until tomorrow and then assume they either delay or cast cures.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-22, 12:17 AM
Some good news: Noblesse was active two days ago. :smallsmile:

Malachei
2012-01-22, 09:19 AM
Which is fine. Unless I find the time to do so today, I'll post within the next two days.

Malachei
2012-01-25, 05:51 AM
As there is not much happening, I've decided to do the Update this way:

The next round, your turn. There is no opponent in view.

You can cure, and of course, you can also make spot checks, possibly listen checks in the OOC, and I'll give feedback, if you wish, before your post.

Carr0t
2012-01-25, 08:52 AM
Oook.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Also on a roll of 50+ one +4 keen arrow can be recovered [roll2] in addition to 2 +4 keen holy arrows

Malachei
2012-01-25, 08:55 AM
Good, you recover the arrow.

Where is Gabriel located when he Spots and Listens?

Carr0t
2012-01-25, 08:58 AM
Top of northeast tower.

Gabriel flies to the top then goes to recover the recoverable arrows (if there is time).

Feather Sigil
2012-01-25, 09:06 AM
Lovely. A completely empty enemy turn. :smallsmile:

I don't know all of what what I'm going to do yet but I'll make some spot/listen checks, see what happens.

Riven ascends 20' (he is now 20' off the ground) and flies to G12, keeping eyes and ears out as he goes.

Rita Spot: [roll0]

Rita Listen: [roll1]

Riven Spot: [roll2]

Riven Listen: [roll3]

Malachei
2012-01-25, 09:19 AM
Yes, mainly because of Rita. The excellent use of Benign Transposition so thoroughly changed the course of the battle that you now have a bit of free time.

Tashalar
2012-01-25, 12:02 PM
*cheers*

What about the downed goliath, Mal? You need to specify if it's dead or not so that I know where Makul's healing goes (to himself or the downed goliath).

One enemy afoot only. At least at this point.

... but we're not supposed to do several rounds at once, should we Mal?

Edit: I won't roll any checks for Makul and his gang. Their mods are simply too low. We've got scouts and familiars for that, eh? :smallbiggrin:

Malachei
2012-01-25, 12:10 PM
The goliath is dead.

No, let's start by doing a first round and see what happens.

Tashalar
2012-01-25, 12:11 PM
Darn. But that's life. In the end there's just death.

Alright, one round it is! :)

Tashalar
2012-01-25, 12:19 PM
Oh, and Aria did kill the darn archer, right?

Malachei
2012-01-25, 12:43 PM
The archer is down, yes.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-25, 03:37 PM
Wow. :smallsmile: We're kicking butt here.

Well, okay, I think I know what I'm going to do. Not yet, though.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-26, 09:14 AM
Edit: This is the rest of my turn, Mal.

Rita (25' off the ground) casts Summon Monster III, summoning a Celestial Dire Bat at K14, 20' off the ground.

I have a number of things to do, and since summoning lasts until my next turn, I think I'll forgo an IC post and just put everything Rita does for this round and the next in my IC post for the next round.

Tashalar
2012-01-26, 10:49 AM
The bat only arrives at the start of her next turn - you've got that, right?

Feather Sigil
2012-01-26, 11:02 AM
The bat only arrives at the start of her next turn - you've got that, right?

The SRD says:

"It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn."

It says nothing about summoned creatures arriving the turn after. Summoning it consumes my entire turn (what if I had Quickened it?), yes, but it's still my turn and the creature's actions are, in essence, immediate actions for its initial appearance. Not to mention that it would be a rather dickish move on the creators' part because it would take away a whole round from the summon's duration (which is already short) for no good reason.

Tashalar
2012-01-26, 11:14 AM
You’re so incredibly good at the mechanics of this game already, that I tend to forget that you’re actually pretty new to it. Sometimes there’s a small rule that you don’t know about… yet. Soon you'll know everything. :smallcool:

Here comes:

Casting time(s):
Swift, immediate, move and standard action – all clear, right?
Then there’s the full round action. That’s what you are referring to. It consumes the standard and move action you have. All you can do in addition to a full round action is a 5’ step.
And then there are longer casting times – such as 1 round for summoning spells. This means that you are doing nothing but casting a summoning spell until it’s your turn again on the next round. Then you are done and then the summoned creatures appear. This also means that your casting can be interrupted by dealing damage to you.

The duration ‘count’ only starts when the spell finishes though. So the first round when the creature(s) can act is also the first round that counts against the spell’s duration.

Quickening summoning spells only works if you find a way to reduce their casting time. There’s an alternate class feature that Burjin has and then there’s a feat called rapid spell (IIRC) which reduces the casting time. For a cost though.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-26, 11:31 AM
Yes, all that makes sense but why, then, would the spell text say that the creature acts immediately? If it waits to act until its master's next turn, even if it acts before the master does, that's not immediately. The use of that word implies that the creature acts the very moment it is put into play, like this:

PC
PC
Enemy
Wizard
PC
Enemy
PC

Which then becomes...

PC
PC
Enemy
Wizard
Summon <- The creature's actions are shoved into the initiative order.
PC
Enemy
PC

Initiative doesn't work that way in this game but the principle is sound.

RaggedAngel
2012-01-26, 11:52 AM
Once you've summoned it, then it acts immediately. I know you're not happy about it, but a 1-round casting time is a way to balance a very powerful, versatile spell, and any spell with a 1-round casting time needs to be cast until the beginning of your next turn, opening you up for attacks while casting.

Psydon, you're playing a Strongheart Halfling Focused Transmuter; please don't tell me you're worried about power.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-26, 12:06 PM
Psydon, you're playing a Strongheart Halfling Focused Transmuter; please don't tell me you're worried about power.

Power has nothing to do with it. :smallconfused: It's...

any spell with a 1-round casting time needs to be cast until the beginning of your next turn

Oh...wait...

This means that you are doing nothing but casting a summoning spell until it’s your turn again on the next round.

Oh...oh! I get it now! :smallsmile:

Tashalar
2012-01-26, 02:17 PM
:smallsmile:

Edit: To make this more of a post: the weather is getting cold over here. We haven't had a winter so far and now it's finally going below zero degrees celsius.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-26, 02:52 PM
Over here in Canada, it's snowing right now. :smallsmile:

Ladorak
2012-01-26, 05:07 PM
Standard action: Refresh warblade mans
move: Head down the tower and exit

Crusader mans (Forgot to roll last turn): All

Toliudar
2012-01-26, 06:43 PM
Over here in Canada, it's snowing right now. :smallsmile:

I might as well just post that into my sig. It'll usually be true. :smallwink:

Feather Sigil
2012-01-26, 06:58 PM
I might as well just post that into my sig. It'll usually be true. :smallwink:

:smalltongue: Touche. Then again, in Ontario winters aren't what they used to be.

RaggedAngel
2012-01-26, 07:50 PM
It was in the high sixties where I live (central North Carolina). My heart, she is broken. I love the cold, and winter still hasn't come.

Tashalar
2012-01-27, 02:02 AM
Snow! There's snow! At least an inch or so. And the weather will stay cold so we might keep that inch for a while. Heh.

Btw, I'll get a post up today most probably - if not, then it'll be Monday as I'm out of town without my stuff. If not and you want to update, Mal, Makul sends the goliaths around in pairs of two/three, near the tower, heals himself with the belt (1 charge) and moves a little away from the tower 20', shouting a challenge for the vanished one.

Tashalar
2012-01-29, 03:11 PM
Is everyone still trying to figure out what to do? It seems like the easiest round of the whole combat so far to me. Let's find us that invisible one and then deal with the scaly one. :smallcool:

RaggedAngel
2012-01-29, 03:20 PM
Who needs healing? I need to check the durations of my abilities, but I think several of my Utterances will be winding down soon. Should I hit our Skirmish-master with another Seek the Sky?

Feather Sigil
2012-01-29, 03:33 PM
Mead, Nicolas, Aria and Makul could certainly use some healing but I'd say Jasmine needs it more than any of us. Unless DM!Nicolas cast a healing spell on her during the previous round, she's sitting pretty at 21/100 HP.

Unless I misread things, Seek the Sky was spoken to Gabriel on round 2. We're on round 9.

RaggedAngel
2012-01-29, 03:40 PM
Mead, Nicolas, Aria and Makul could certainly use some healing but I'd say Jasmine needs it more than any of us. Unless DM!Nicolas cast a healing spell on her during the previous round, she's sitting pretty at 21/100 HP.

Unless I misread things, Seek the Sky was spoken to Gabriel on round 2. We're on round 9.

Excellent, I thought we were further in than that; it was Extended, so he still has three rounds of flight left. I can't renew it until then.

What's Jasmine's CR? I can only use HD for PC's, for Animal Companions and the like I have to use CR, but I'm not quite sure how to determine that.

Tashalar
2012-01-29, 03:52 PM
What's Jasmine's CR? I can only use HD for PC's, for Animal Companions and the like I have to use CR, but I'm not quite sure how to determine that.
That's pretty difficult, really.

... but, you know, Mead and Makul both are need of healing as well. And Nicolas can heal himself and Jasmine at the same time (has a feat for that) - so he should be able to take care of himself and his companion.

Excellent, I thought we were further in than that; it was Extended, so he still has three rounds of flight left. I can't renew it until then.
Will you be able to get the dragon out of the sky again as well then? I haven't looked closely at how utterances work (yet), but as far as I remember, you cannot have the same one going twice at the same time? Unless you use the new magic item you've got?

... I think it's very important to down the dragon again (this time on solid ground) to be able to battle it effectively and not let it escape. We really need Aria for that. :smallsmile:

RaggedAngel
2012-01-29, 03:58 PM
... but, you know, Mead and Makul both are need of healing as well. And Nicolas can heal himself and Jasmine at the same time (has a feat for that) - so he should be able to take care of himself and his companion.
Duly noted; I think Mead is her likely target for healing, but I believe Mead should still have a Word of Nurturing going on her.

Will you be able to get the dragon out of the sky again as well then? I haven't looked closely at how utterances work (yet), but as far as I remember, you cannot have the same one going twice at the same time? Unless you use the new magic item you've got?

... I think it's very important to down the dragon again (this time on solid ground) to be able to battle it effectively and not let it escape. We really need Aria for that. :smallsmile:
I can use the book again, but you're right; Aria isn't optimized to the point that she can bust out limitless Utterances, and the dragon takes priority. That's assuming he comes back at all, that is.

Tashalar
2012-01-29, 04:07 PM
I can use the book again, but you're right; Aria isn't optimized to the point that she can bust out limitless Utterances, and the dragon takes priority. That's assuming he comes back at all, that is.
Yep - and if the dragon doesn't come back, then Gabriel doesn't need flight either.

Duly noted; I think Mead is her likely target for healing, but I believe Mead should still have a Word of Nurturing going on her.

Moderate Word of Nurturing - cast by Aria on round 4
Mead has it listed on round 7 but doesn't have it listed any longer on round 8 and 9. It lasts 5 rounds, right? Then it should still have healed her on round 8 (5 rounds - 5x healing) but is gone on round 9 (this round).
But round 8 her hit points go from 20 to 27 (4 from belt of healing and 3 from... is that the moderate word of nurturing?)

Anyways, it's not active any longer and could be 'reapplied'.

Toliudar
2012-01-29, 05:17 PM

Oh? Yay! I thought it lasted five rounds. My mistake. How long does it run?

RaggedAngel
2012-01-29, 09:05 PM
Oh? Yay! I thought it lasted five rounds. My mistake. How long does it run?

That was my mistake; I didn't realize how early I used it on you. You should have been healed for 25 points overall by the Word. Would you like another? What is Mead's hp/hpmax?

Toliudar
2012-01-29, 11:03 PM
Mead's now at 34/59, and still has one more charge on her healing belt. She'd of course welcome the help, but I won't mind if there's someone else in more serious need.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-29, 11:54 PM
Makul is at 71/94HP, with 12 of that possibly being temporary HP granted by rage. I dunno. At least he's not in danger of being OHKOd. We should make our way to him, whether we heal him or not.

Dunlan is at 93/99HP.

The most recent Noblesse post puts Nicolas at 35/68HP. I was wrong about Jasmine: she's at 50/100HP. Keep in mind that Mal never recorded what Nicolas and Jasmine did during Round 8, so their HP could be higher than these numbers, but these are their confirmed minimums.

:smallconfused: How strange. Tasha, you said he can heal Jasmine and himself at once with a feat, right? In his Round 7 post he cast CSW on Jasmine instead of on himself so they would both benefit from it. Is there some kind of limitation to the double-healing feat?

Gabriel and Rita are both at max HP. Actually, I don't think either of them has even been hit so far.

What options do we have for locating potentially invisible, non-Glitterdusted targets?

Toliudar
2012-01-29, 11:55 PM
Well, we have 100' mindsight.

Tashalar
2012-01-30, 02:06 AM
It's true that Makul will soon lose 12 maximum hit points (reducing his max from 94 to 82). Sadly, that also means he loses 12 from his current hit points (reducing them from 71 to 59) - that's how rage temp hit points work. So he'll be down 23 one way or another. And when the dragon hits us with his breath weapon, Makul will most probably take a full hit with his really bad reflex save.

But Makul also has a charge left in his belt of healing, so he could use that first. Also, if Aria would likely heal her current companions before healing her 'hopefully-soon-to-be' companion, then that's entirely fine by me. :smallsmile:

h1-Companion Spellbound (PHB2)
That's the feat. It just means that you can use share spells up to 30 feet - but every druid could cast it on both of them if the companion is within 5' (easily doable in this situation). It simply means the healing spell affects them both. I'd guess Noblesse didn't remember that - it being the first time he's playing a druid.

Mead's busy this round, but next round she could try and locate the bothersome presence again. That would mean coordinating with the dire bat and its blindsense of 40' somehow. Oh, and then there are mundane spot/listen checks. But the thing's hide/move silently were... well, awesome.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-30, 06:07 AM
Yeah...let's just assume the drow is a ghost. Then we get to be Ghostbusters. :smallbiggrin:

*facepalm* D'oh.

Malachei
2012-01-30, 09:42 AM

Yes, but we need LOE.

Feather Sigil
2012-01-30, 11:26 AM
Still, it's something, and something is better than nothing...unless something was something you didn't want, in which case nothing would be preferable, but if you have nothing you wouldn't know the difference between good and bad somethings because both would be something you didn't have, and anything would be better than nothing, but then again you would still have the lack of good or bad somethings, which is itself a bad something, so it would be better to have something since either way you're going to have a bad something, unless the having two bad somethings would make things worse for you overall, so nothing would be better than something because it would be better to stay with the bad something you already have than take the greater risk of having an even worse something.

I believe I may have just divined the secrets of the universe...

Toliudar
2012-01-30, 12:56 PM
If the drow is indeed a ghost, it's possible that Mead would indeed be unable to find him. And yes, Mindsight needs LoE, but so does pretty much everything else.

Barring any divinations that we might have in our back pockets, I'd say we're safest to treat him as a potential ghost. In which case, our best chance at survival comes from gathering closer together and being ready to pounce. Manifesting is a brutal, brutal ability. Anyone have circle of protection from X?

Tashalar
2012-01-30, 02:37 PM
A ghost? What? Where? No!

Other than that... what Psydon said. :smallbiggrin:

Malachei
2012-02-01, 03:26 AM
I believe I may have just divined the secrets of the universe...

42, I believe, is most people's answer.

RaggedAngel
2012-02-01, 11:43 AM
Truespeak doesn't care if you're incorporeal or not.

Truenaming doesn't always suck: Corner Case #6.

Tashalar
2012-02-02, 11:20 AM
It seems were down one druid and his pet, sadly. And we're also still missing a few posts... :smallsmile:

Feather Sigil
2012-02-02, 12:08 PM
Truespeak doesnt care if you're incorporeal or not.

Truenaming doesn't suck: Corner Case #6.

Fixed. And because GiTP wants more words from me, here they are.

Tashalar
2012-02-02, 04:10 PM
At least our truenamer doesn't suck. :smallcool:

RaggedAngel
2012-02-02, 07:18 PM
At least our truenamer doesn't suck. :smallcool:

D'aw. You sure know how to make a girl feel loved. I'm going to hit you up with some Fast Healing for that. :smallwink:

Tashalar
2012-02-03, 10:38 AM
I'll gladly take that. :smallsmile:

Tashalar
2012-02-05, 01:58 AM
We haven't yet posted every detail Mal needs to know for an update:
- Mead's, Gabriel's and the goliath's actions stand
- Ser Dunlan's actions (posted OOC): Standard action: Refresh warblade mans; move: Head down the tower and exit
- Rita's action: start summoning spell (what does Riven do?)
- Aria: speak the truth about Makul's wounds not really being there ( :smallwink: ); where does she move to do that?
- Nicolas and Jasmine - missing, sadly.

RaggedAngel
2012-02-05, 02:08 AM
- Aria: speak the truth about Makul's wounds not really being there ( :smallwink: ); where does she move to do that?

Um. Is Haste still active? She's just moving down the external ladder of the tower, and she can't get all the way down in a single move.

Tashalar
2012-02-05, 02:36 AM
If Aria got it at the beginning just like Ser Dunlan and the others and it hasn't been re freshed, then no, it's not active anymore. The last round was the last round. Does Aria have to get down the tower in this round?

To make things easier for the future, could the casters tell everyone the number or rounds spells last? Then everyone can update their posts with haste 3/7 (this would mean it's the third round since it's been casted) instead of simply 'haste'. :smallsmile:

Feather Sigil
2012-02-05, 08:15 AM
Way ahead of you, Tasha. :smallsmile: Oh, and Riven already acted. He ascended 20' and flew off to G12, making Spot and Listen checks as he went.

Tashalar
2012-02-06, 02:39 AM
Oh, die you post that in the OOC earlier? I didn't look to closely, I admit it. :smallsmile:

But it'd make it easier for Mal if the actions were in a - possibly short - IC post. Then he wouldn't have to search for them.

Feather Sigil
2012-02-06, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I, uh...I've been busy. >< But also I thought it would make more sense if I incorporated my actions for this round and the next into one IC post since Rita is performing a continuous action.
---

Rita (25' off the ground) casts Summon Monster III, summoning a Celestial Dire Bat at K14, 20' off the ground.

Riven ascends 20' (he is now 20' off the ground) and flies to G12, keeping eyes and ears out as he goes.

They also make Spot and Listen checks (already did on the first page of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12595136&postcount=28)):

Rita Spot: 13
Rita Listen: 11
Riven Spot: 30
Riven Listen: 14

Malachei
2012-02-10, 09:59 AM
I'll update today.

RaggedAngel
2012-02-10, 11:18 AM
I'll update today.

Huzzah! I'm happy to see you back, Mal. :smallsmile:

Feather Sigil
2012-02-10, 12:26 PM
Welcome back, Mal. :smallsmile:

Malachei
2012-02-10, 12:33 PM
Thank you. :)

I'll start updating the game in about two-three hours.

Tashalar
2012-02-11, 10:34 AM
Mal, in case your settings are also "show 40 posts per page", then you might not be able to see Aria's latest IC post. If you set it to 30 per page, you can see it. I only stumbled across it due to having looked from work without having logged on.

Same goes for everyone else - look if you can see Aria's last move (after Gabriel).

Feather Sigil
2012-02-11, 10:51 AM
O_o That's weird. Thanks for mentioning Angel posted, Tasha. My Subscriptions page never updated.

Fast healing 3 for 10 rounds, nice. :smallsmile:

RaggedAngel
2012-02-11, 08:13 PM
O_o That's weird. Thanks for mentioning Angel posted, Tasha. My Subscriptions page never updated.

Fast healing 3 for 10 rounds, nice. :smallsmile:

I think 30 hit points should be about right, based on the damage you've taken. And, hey, if the dragon comes back and crushes us all you automatically stabilize. :smallwink:

Tashalar
2012-02-12, 04:35 AM
Let's hope stabilization won't be necessary (it's awesome though). ;)

But there's also the other creature running around. It could appear any time right next to one of us and attack. With some bad luck full attack, even. And that would hurt real hard I fear.

Feather Sigil
2012-02-14, 08:08 AM
For some of you, today is just another day. Nothing special, really. No impetus to do anything you wouldn't normally do.

For the rest of you, today is probably a grim day, when you get to sit alone at your desk or on your couch, bitterly contemplating how alone you are and how dreary everything seems because of it. It's likely you'll encounter some existential despair as you realize you aren't getting any younger and you wonder what you'll leave behind when the reaper comes 'a calling. All the regrets of your life--you have some, be honest--will come rushing back. Taunting you, laughing at you, just like everyone around you, as irritating as those itches that never really go away even if you've scratched them enough to be satisfied. Sure, you'll say "At least I'm not wasting money on this silly day", but you're only lying to yourself and you know it.

And when everyone else (and it is everyone else. Grass is always greener, right?) goes to sleep tonight with smiles on their faces, you'll stare at the ceiling, trying to fill the emptiness in your soul with whatever random half-watched episodes of Fantasy you can find amidst the endless flotsam in your mind.

Then you'll wake up tomorrow morning, and it will be just another day. Nothing special, really. No impetus to do anything you wouldn't normally do. Only you'll have to deal with the memories of yesterday.

For another year.

Edit: I hope this Day is Happy for you. You'll need it. ^_^

Malachei
2012-02-15, 04:27 AM
Sorry that the AoO keeps things on a halt, but your characters can speak, of course, and Aria is a quick poster, usually, so I guess this will not delay us much.

Carr0t
2012-02-15, 04:36 AM
No readied actions here. Though Gabriel did move at least 40 feet so from the NE tower to the NW so skirmish and expeditious dodge should be active.

Malachei
2012-02-15, 04:59 AM
I'm pretty sure I had announced already, but just to make sure, because I did not update the map yet: the tower guard is down, of course.

Tashalar
2012-02-15, 12:30 PM
Ouch! Well, Aria took 19 damage (DR 1/-) and is attacked right at the beginning of her move, right? So she has almost her entire move and her standard action left and can either do it just as planned...
... or something else entirely. :smallsmile:

*crosses fingers for Aria*

Malachei
2012-02-15, 12:35 PM
Damage: Yes. As always, I do not apply DR (or Energy Resistance and other defenses) unless I specifically state it.

The reason being that your characters' defenses change during the course of the battle, and you are more likely to have the correct adjustments for your character in mind than I am.

Oh, and Tashalar: Though shalt not read other peoples' spoilers :)

Aria's turn: Yes, that was what I meant with my above post.

Malachei
2012-02-16, 03:30 AM
RaggedAngel: Please remember to include an up-to-date stat-block in your posts. Saves me time... ->Thank you.

@All: You can do Spot checks, of course.

Ladorak
2012-02-16, 09:00 AM
spot check: [roll0]

Carr0t
2012-02-16, 09:01 AM
Check on the Spot: [roll0]

Also a question for Aria (& sort of Mal) - Does your utterance also prevent teleportation? Or would this question be too much metagaming?

RaggedAngel
2012-02-16, 11:58 AM
Also a question for Aria (& sort of Mal) - Does your utterance also prevent teleportation? Or would this question be too much metagaming?

It's the opposite of Freedom of Movement, so maybe? Here's the exact wording:

A black tangle of wriggling force-tendrils roots your target in place, rendering it unable to move. It can take actions normally; it just can't move from the space it currently occupies.

The last sentence sounds pretty definite, and I tried to convey that in my fluff; for the next two rounds it cannot exit its current space, period.

Toliudar
2012-02-16, 12:44 PM
Mead spot check: [roll0]

Malachei
2012-02-16, 12:47 PM
The rules are ambiguous on this. The text uses the term 'move'. It does not specify spells, SLA and Su abilities.

As it is the reverse of, effectively, freedom of movement, what this helps against can serve as a guideline:

Does being grappled, held in place, paralyzed prevent teleportation? No, unless you can't activate your spell / SLA.

As this is a first-level utterance, my interpretation is that its power should be limited to all modes of physical movement (possibly including physical movement that is assisted by spells, such as magical flight, but not etherealness or astral travel).

Malachei
2012-02-17, 10:15 AM
Ladorak, Carr0t, Toliudar: The Spot checks are too low, sorry.

Tashalar
2012-02-18, 06:16 AM
As this is a first-level utterance, my interpretation is that its power should be limited to all modes of physical movement (possibly including physical movement that is assisted by spells, such as magical flight, but not etherealness or astral travel).
Yep, I agree that it shouldn't block the more powerful forms of movement like those Mal addressed. Otherwise it would be too powerful for a 1st level utterance. BUT. It still is a really, really awesome move. :smallsmile:

I wonder what that shadow drow type did just now. In any case, not going to bother with a spot check for Makul. How did everyone figure out it was a drow, btw? I was pretty surprised when someone mentioned it OOC.

Oh, and Tashalar: Though shalt not read other peoples' spoilers :)
Argh, yeah, sorry. I do that pretty regularly, actually - mostly without thinking much about it. In some instances it's much cooler not to know what info others get but mostly I've seen the spoilers as a way of differentiating what some characters know and others not. What the players know is something else entirely (and everyone needs to take care not to metagame by accident).
... plothook has a neat solution for that - you can use spoilers so that no one but those who it is meant for can read the text or whispers with the same function (only that others can see that something was whispered and to whom).
... anyways, will try hard to refrain from looking into spoilers. But in case it's something really important/special, consider sending a PM instead in those cases. :smallsmile:

Carr0t
2012-02-18, 07:23 AM
Two things.
1. The stairs are on the outside of the toower.
2. Doesn't a crusader restart the whole manuver granting proces every time there is no manuver to be granted? Meaning every time you have been granted all readied manuvers on the next turn all granted manuvers get reset and you again get granted 3 (or 4) random manuvers.

Malachei
2012-02-18, 08:04 AM
I do that pretty regularly, actually - mostly without thinking much about it.

You shouldn't. Take a guess: Why do I write character names to head the spoilers? Reading other people's spoilers is a little bit like actively listening to overhear a private conversation taking place on a nearby table in a restaurant. A spoiler is meant privately for the person mentioned in the title. It could address actual secrets of their characters, for instance. It is not only potentially bad for them, but potentially bad for you, as well: Knowing stuff your character would not know makes it harder not to metagame, and in general ruins surprises.

But in case it's something really important/special, consider sending a PM instead in those cases

Are you saying you're not to be trusted? ;)

On the other topics:

- No idea how they came up with a drow. Perhaps the picture on the map?
- Yes, Carr0t is right, Crusaders always start the maneuver-granting process anew once they've been granted all maneuvers from the pool.

Tashalar
2012-02-18, 08:18 AM
Are you saying you're not to be trusted? ;)
I'm just being open and honest about this. :smallsmile:
It can happen that I click a spoiler without even thinking about it. So if there are 'real' secrets to be spoiled and you want to make 100% sure that no one gets a look at them who should not, you could put them in a PM. My guess is that those are probably rare occasions anyways.

I'm always trying hard not to metagame, btw. Even without reading any spoilers we players often know a lot more of what is going on than our characters. So that's a constant challenge. :smallsmile:

... anyways, will try hard to refrain from looking into spoilers.
That's all I can offer. But it's an honest offer. :smallsmile:

1. The stairs are on the outside of the toower.
Does that refer to anything in my post? The stairs are too small for him (they are only 5' wide and it would cost him two squares of movement only for squeezing.

- Yes, Carr0t is right, Crusaders always start the maneuver-granting process anew once they've been granted all maneuvers from the pool.
Unless I overlooked something, Makul just now got all his maneuvers this round. So he'll start rolling again next round. Will check just now.
Edit: Yep, he rolled last round. This round he has all maneuvers. Next round he starts rolling for three readied maneuvers again.

Feather Sigil
2012-02-18, 08:47 AM
Rita Spot: [roll0]

Riven Spot: [roll1]

Malachei
2012-02-18, 09:45 AM
Both fail to spot anybody.

RaggedAngel
2012-02-18, 10:27 AM
How did everyone figure out it was a drow, btw? I was pretty surprised when someone mentioned it OOC.

It has two scimitars. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html)

Feather Sigil
2012-02-18, 11:37 AM
If Xalyth is the same character who killed one of the goliaths a couple of rounds ago, I knew she was drow because of the picture. Hair white as snow, skin black as ebony. Edit: What else could she be, besides a Drizzt cosplayer?

Malachei
2012-02-18, 11:56 AM
And our Decanter of Endless Water for the most elegant metagaming goes to... RaggedAngel!

Yes, I'm handing out decanters for this, particularly when it allows me to properly introduce my NPC earlier (and while she's still alive, in contrast to the horned spellcasters around... best use of benign translocation I've seen so far).

Tashalar
2012-02-18, 12:15 PM
D'uh, two scimitars! Should have noticed that. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: So. Anyone got anything to contribute to the happy drow chase?

Malachei
2012-02-18, 12:19 PM
So you should get the Eyes of Minute Seeing for being nosiest (good you're character is a goliath, not a cat).

EDIT: And I'm really sorry for the disappearing business. But it's really your fault ;): You outperformed the NPCs so heavily they had no alternative than using hit-and-run tactics.

I hope that in the future, we'll have more "regular" fights again.

Feather Sigil
2012-02-18, 01:48 PM
D'uh, two scimitars! Should have noticed that. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: So. Anyone got anything to contribute to the happy drow chase?

Blindsense might do the trick.

Malachei
2012-02-18, 01:55 PM
It should. But it is LOE, as is Mindsight.

Tashalar
2012-02-18, 03:13 PM
You outperformed the NPCs so heavily they had no alternative than using hit-and-run tactics.
Well, that is good, isn't it? At least there's still a little time before Mr. Dragon (or Mrs. Dragoness) returns. :smallsmile:

Malachei
2012-02-18, 03:46 PM
Well, yes, on the one hand. One the other hand, it ruined the fight a little. The spellcaster would have been an interesting challenge, giving you a lot of tactical options to deal with. The assassin would have struck, but would have had no reason to hide again, because most of you would have been busier. Thus, more characters would have seen action. On the other hand, there's a chance more characters would be dead now, so you're better off ;)

Tashalar
2012-02-19, 02:57 AM
Yeah, the battle with the last two never did get going 'normally'. But targeting the horned one immediately was good, I think - and taking him out quickly even better. If everyone had attacked at the same time, we would have been in really bad shape.

I mean... dragon+horned one+master assassin+troups+hobgoblin leader ...

This way all of us might survive and that's good. :smallsmile:

Feather Sigil
2012-02-19, 07:10 PM
I'm not so sure we would have lasted much longer, had I failed to dispel the darkness field. He could have one-shot Mead and then stayed there nuking us from concealment.

I think we should all gather where the goliaths are. There's strength in numbers and then my bat can hover over us, giving us all a wonderful blanket of blindsense. If we stay in an open space my bat will likely establish LOE before Xalyth can reach us.

Malachei
2012-02-20, 05:07 AM
Right now, I see a hawk on the battlefield, but a bat? I must have missed something.

In general, I agree. But the horned one would have made for an interesting fight with a lot of battlefield control, in combination with the dragon and Xalyth striking. With the power level of your characters, I didn't expect this to be particularly lethal, also because of the added goliath cannon fodder.

While I don't like playing hide and seek with you guys, there's not much else I can do. Xalyth is too smart to go toe-to-toe with you.

On the other hand, it is not really interesting to have you post elaborate about your spot checks and readied actions IC.

Perhaps it would be best if everybody just stated what they will do in OOC, and if that is not making a difference, I'll just time skip to when something happens again?

Unless, of course, there's a bat I've missed.

Feather Sigil
2012-02-20, 06:24 AM
Right now, I see a hawk on the battlefield, but a bat? I must have missed something.

You win, Tasha.:smalltongue:

They also make Spot and Listen checks (already did on the first page of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12595136&postcount=28)):

Rita Spot: 13
Rita Listen: 11
Riven Spot: 30
Riven Listen: 14

^ That was my last IC post (edit: previous round), and then they made those more recent Spot checks that did nothing. I thought it would make more sense if I incorporated the above and my actions for this round into a single IC post (which I still plan to do) since Rita was performing a continuous action (summoning) from one round to the next.

In general, I agree. But the horned one would have made for an interesting fight with a lot of battlefield control, in combination with the dragon and Xalyth striking. With the power level of your characters, I didn't expect this to be particularly lethal, also because of the added goliath cannon fodder.

Mead was nearly dead after his second spell and given the amount of damage dice his spells had she was simply lucky. As I recall, Nicolas and Jasmine weren't too far from the grave either.

I might be alone in this but I thought the horned one was an interesting fight, if shorter than you preferred. The rounds when he was active felt very tense for me since we were just barely keeping him at bay what with the numerous evasive spells he was packing. Kinda like the classic "disarm the bomb to save the world" scenario: one wrong step and it all goes to hell, so every move you make is filled with terror.

While I don't like playing hide and seek with you guys, there's not much else I can do. Xalyth is too smart to go toe-to-toe with you.

Well, she's not our only threat. If she won't attack us we can at least use this time to lick our wounds and get ready for the dragon.

Edit: Is Mythweavers functional for anyone?

Malachei
2012-02-20, 07:05 AM
You win, Tasha.

Have you been making bets on me missing the bat? That was in the OOC, right? I've not seen an IC post by you including this, so no wonder I've forgotten about it (When I do an update, I usually re-check the last IC posts, but please don't expect me to re-read the OOC, as well). The last IC post I have of you was the wonderful use of Benign Transposition.

Anyway, that's 40 ft. Blindsense. Congratulations! I feel like playing chess now with a tower and a queen closing in.

Mead was nearly dead after his second spell

Yes, but Mead moved behind the tower and had total cover then. But in general, I agree, and I'm happy you found the brief fight with the horned one interesting... as long as the players are excited, I'm happy.

MythWeavers is working for me.

Carr0t
2012-02-20, 07:15 AM
MythWeavers works fine for me, also.

Feather Sigil
2012-02-20, 07:37 AM
Have you been making bets on me missing the bat?

Nope. :smalltongue: Tasha suggested that I make an IC post for the previous round and I countered with my reason not to. Tasha's decision was the correct one in the end.

I'll get you next time, Tasha! Next time! *RANDOM CAT SCREECH*

That was in the OOC, right? I've not seen an IC post by you including this, so no wonder I've forgotten about it (When I do an update, I usually re-check the last IC posts, but please don't expect me to re-read the OOC, as well).

Yeah. Sorry about that.

Tashalar
2012-02-20, 10:48 AM
Ha! :smallbiggrin:

My opinion concerning the fight:
It was really exciting while it lasted (it felt terribly dangerous...) and now the hide-and-seek is not really all that exciting. I'm in favor of posting OOC intent for actions and then moving forward to a situation where something happens.

If Makul arrives on the tower and the drow is gone, he'll shrug and jog back down (he'll be normal size the round after the upcoming, rage having ended).

Then he'll arrange the goliaths in twos, readying to counter any attacks by the sneaky creature and communicate with the others about their plans. Everything else depends on the bat and what Mead possibly reveal before more blood is spilled. :smallsmile:

Ladorak
2012-02-21, 02:45 PM
To be fair taking out the dragon in the first turn pretty much sealed it. Facing all that plus a dragon would be TPK. We did kinda steamroller it but there's been a couple of close calls. Almost lost Mead.
We've worked well together, party shows a great deal of mobility. Flying really helps Gabriel, haste is always nice.
And let's not forget there's still a dragon to worry about.

Malachei
2012-02-21, 03:08 PM
Well, I think you could have stood against everybody and the dragon, assuming the goliaths would have immediately joined the battle and you would have used the terrain to your advantage (and not to the dragon's and the horned one's, just like you then actually did).

He spun on his heel and doubled back the way he came Help is on the way Aria Silvertongue! he took the steps two at a time, but still it felt far too slow. On either side of the seemingly endless stone steps he saw not the inner walls of a tower, he saw Steel Keep in flames. Never again

Epic.

Tashalar
2012-02-22, 09:37 AM
Well, I think you could have stood against everybody and the dragon, assuming the goliaths would have immediately joined the battle and you would have used the terrain to your advantage (and not to the dragon's and the horned one's, just like you then actually did).
Yeah, might've worked. But remember the last combat(s)? A wrong tactical decision or two and little bad luck concerning the dice rolls and we've got a TPK or near-TPK. Luck especially plays a roll (edit: I meant role, but roll fits nicely...:smallwink:) ... and you cannot forsee how the dice fall.

*tries to hack the GitP dice roller ... and fails*

Ladorak
2012-03-02, 06:49 PM
Epic.

Thank you :smallsmile: I pride myself on the little touches, there's no reason climbing stairs can't be epic with a little thought and a well rounded defined character (Although I imagine this is a well that will run dry very quickly should I be required to continue writing epic stair climbing).

Who are we stalled on? It's not me is it?

Tashalar
2012-03-03, 03:33 AM
Nope, we're waiting for Mal. Unless you want to count Noblesse who hasn't posted in two months.

So... where is that sneaky drow bastard hiding...? :smallcool:

RaggedAngel
2012-03-03, 09:57 PM
Nope, we're waiting for Mal. Unless you want to count Noblesse who hasn't posted in two months.

So... where is that sneaky drow bastard hiding...? :smallcool:

Behind you.

Watch, now that's actually going to be true.

Tashalar
2012-03-04, 02:42 AM
*runs and hides behind a... tree? ... rock!*

Malachei
2012-03-04, 02:57 PM
I'll post on Tuesday, if not before.

Feather Sigil
2012-03-13, 10:32 AM
So...how's everyone doing? :smallsmile:

Carr0t
2012-03-13, 10:38 AM
Patiently waiting for Tuesday :smallbiggrin:

Tashalar
2012-03-13, 03:50 PM
It's only a week to go. Or two. Or three. :smallbiggrin:

The more startup our characters get, the deeper the blades will bite into the fragile hide of the drow... :smallcool:

Malachei
2012-03-14, 02:47 PM
Tuesday is coming.

:)

Toliudar
2012-03-14, 03:55 PM
To be fair, you didn't in any way specify which Tuesday.

Malachei
2012-03-15, 03:20 PM
The more time passes, the more I realize how smart that was.

Seriously, I'll try to make it one more Tuesday, maximum.

Feather Sigil
2012-03-16, 08:45 AM
Just make sure to come back in a comfortable state, Mal. :smallsmile:

Malachei
2012-03-16, 11:10 AM
I'll return with a dragon's wrath :)

Tashalar
2012-03-16, 12:41 PM
Uh-oh. :mitd:

Malachei
2012-03-18, 12:12 PM
Tuesday is Sunday this week.

Oh, and let me use this opportunity to blatantly promote my new game:

Red Sands: A Legacy of Fire. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236625)

Still looking for victims :)

RaggedAngel
2012-03-18, 12:45 PM
Tuesday is Sunday this week.

Oh, and let me use this opportunity to blatantly promote my new game:

Red Sands: A Legacy of Fire. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236625)

Still looking for victims :)

Sunday is the *best* Tuesday. :smallbiggrin:

Feather Sigil
2012-03-18, 12:53 PM
Temptation, temptation...

So, is this what you envisioned for the Arena, Mal, or is thing something different entirely?

Either way, I'll take a look at it when I have some time today (currently studying for a law test...or at least I ought to be :smalltongue:).

I'll have a post up in a few minutes. I know exactly what I want to do and it's high time we took this drow down for daring to try to kill our truenamer.

Malachei
2012-03-18, 01:26 PM
So, is this what you envisioned for the Arena, Mal, or is thing something different entirely?

Yes, the arena is the starting point for the campaign, and vice versa.

Tashalar
2012-03-18, 05:37 PM
Nice move, Rita. That bastard simply stayed put and hid! I was entirely sure s/he had teleported/moved off somewhere.

Let's see if Makul can contribute to some drow bashing. :smallsmile:

Tashalar
2012-03-19, 04:12 AM
Mal - Makul will climb up and will probably be able to attack (if he makes his climb check at -5). How is the status of the drow though?

Is the drow in plain sight/visible to anyone with line of sight or does the drow have concealment? Does everyone have to make a spot check to see the drow (opposed by the glitterdust-reduced hide check)?

Just in case a spot check is needed - here it is for Makul: [roll0]

Malachei
2012-03-19, 05:13 AM
The drow has concealment, but does not need concealment to hide.

So yes, unfortunately, everybody needs to make spot checks in order to locate the drow, please.

Tashalar
2012-03-19, 08:09 AM
*points at his roll in the post above*

My post gets much easier if you tell me whether or not Makul's result suffices or not. It'd be much easier for everyone if you'd simply state the DC (ie the drow's hide check). :smallsmile:

Also! Maneuver rolls: [roll0]; [roll1]; [roll2]
=> Crusader's strike, Lion's roar, Charging Minotaur

Edit: Evul, awful drow that is.

Tashalar
2012-03-20, 02:30 AM
So... I did a little calculation. Makul's only 10 feet up the wall. With a normal climb check he'd be able to climb 15' up - using the skill trick speedy ascent he'd climb another 10'. But that'd only put him at 35' whereas the height of the tower is 40'.

So it'll have to be an accelerated climb check at -5 (to climb 35'). Here it comes: [roll0]

Mal - please tell me if that is enough to move upwards ('cause if he doesn't manage to, then I can spare myself all the rolling...). If it ain't, then Makul uses his second move to continue his climb at normal speed: [roll1]

Alsoalso... I thought glitterdust gives a -20 penalty on hiding but instead it's a -40 penalty. That means Makul actually has a chance of spotting the drow. Does a '7' suffice, Mal?

Malachei
2012-03-20, 04:35 AM
Yes, a 7 is enough to spot her (a 6, however, wouldn't have been, so you have to be within 10 ft. -- yes, that was a 47 on hide :)).

The towers are masonry, so it should be DC 20 (an uneven surface with some narrow handholds and footholds, such as a typical wall in a dungeon or ruins) or 25 (a rough surface, such as a natural rock wall or a brick wall). I'll set it at 20.

Tashalar
2012-03-20, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback. :smallsmile:

So that means Makul is barely able to make it up onto the tower and just barely manages to spot the drow. Wow. Let's see what I can come up with.

Tashalar
2012-03-20, 08:37 AM
Post is up. Mal - the drow might well get an AoO vs. Makul. If he does, then Makul's attacks and damages change slightly (if you post his attack beforehand, I'll add all final results for you for easy reference).

So. Maybe we've got ourselves a prone drow. But I forgot concealment. So here comes a pretty decisive roll (low is bad for us as usual): [roll0]

Mal - it's Makul's eigth rage round out of eight. That means he stops raging at the end of his round, right? If he does, he once more becomes medium size. I'll specify a square for him in that case.

Malachei
2012-03-20, 10:11 AM
Regarding the AoO: Where do you move exactly, i.e. where do you step over the tower's side, ending your climb, and through which squares do you pass, then?

Tashalar
2012-03-20, 10:46 AM
Well, he's moving straight up - he doesn't know where the drow is before he spots it, so he's going to take the quickest route. Which means he ends in the squares he is in now (more or less) and then move across to F16/G17. At least that was how I envisioned it.

Malachei
2012-03-20, 11:13 AM
Fine, so the AoO hits you when you move across the tower (and not when you're still climbing, which is good):

1d20+15=18, 1d6+10=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3422888/)

Tashalar
2012-03-20, 11:34 AM
Ouch. :smalleek:

I'll edit my post with all final results.

Tashalar
2012-03-20, 11:44 AM
Done. I've included a summary post with all pertinent information. Now let's hope a 23 is enough to hit that nimble drow's touch AC. I'm not really sure it will - it might barely suffice. 21 wasn't enough IIRC.

Malachei
2012-03-20, 11:46 AM
Yes, it is enough.

I'll wait for the others now.

Carr0t
2012-03-20, 02:54 PM
Just checking If I understood the final exchange properly:

The dark elf is prone behind the crenelations and glittering besides being perfectly visible?

Tashalar
2012-03-21, 02:00 AM
It hasn't been decided whether ot not the drow is prone - Mal still has to roll the opposed trip roll.

Everyone has to roll a spot check to see the drow (beat a DC of 6 and you're good - that should be automatic for Gabriel). The drow still has concealment (glitterdust doesn't negate that).

Malachei
2012-03-21, 03:38 AM
Opposed trip check: [roll0]

-> Is prone, Makul's follow-up attack also deals damage.

RaggedAngel
2012-03-21, 09:06 AM
Does anyone know what combat round it is? I'm not sure if Aria's skill-boosting utterance is still up or not.

Carr0t
2012-03-21, 09:08 AM
I believe Mal mentioned round 11 in his last post. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12916826&postcount=532)

Tashalar
2012-03-21, 02:56 PM
Yep. You can always check Mal's posts - he states the current round there. :smallsmile:

Tashalar
2012-03-25, 11:13 AM
Sorry about replying so late, RaggedAngel - I wanted to earlier but then forgot. Makul will happily take some healing - I fear there's also a dragon left that we have to take care of. We should better take care of that drow quickly now.

Ladorak - note that the drow is prone already (so you cannot trip him - but you get +4 to your attack).

Ladorak
2012-03-25, 01:39 PM
That's ok, I was trying failing to trip the other guy

Tashalar
2012-03-25, 03:55 PM
Either I misunderstood something or you got something wrong:
There isn't any enemy besides the drow currently. :smallsmile:

... and you could have attacked the prone drow with a full attack. Could someone please confirm one way or another?

Feather Sigil
2012-03-25, 05:19 PM
In hindsight I should have used my Extended Haste on all of us (except Makul, of course) at the very start of the fight. It would still be active right now. My apologies, friends, for my foolishness. Still, at least we can all enjoy a long-lasting Haste if/once the dragon shows up.

Anyway...

According to Mal (see earlier in this thread) Makul successfully tripped Xalyth and dealt damage with his followup attack. Sir Dunlan then attacked, intending to trip her if his attack hit. Unless her AC was reduced to 15 or lower due to being prone, Sir Dunlan's attack missed. Had his attack hit, it would have been resolved as normal (damage + bonus Mountain Hammer damage that goes through DR) since she was already tripped. Also, both Makul and Sir Dunlan are in the same square (G17) right now.

Xalyth is in a very precarious position. If she stands up without surrendering Gabriel, Makul and Sir Dunlan get to smack her. If she casts a spell Makul and Sir Dunlan (probably) get to smack her. If she moves anywhere Makul and Sir Dunlan get to smack her at least twice. Because she's prone we don't have to worry about any full attacks from her this round.

Ladorak
2012-03-25, 06:23 PM
Lol, yeah, I did attack the drow, my bad. Sorry, my brains been fried recently.

Toliudar
2012-03-25, 06:33 PM
Xalyth is in a very precarious position. If she stands up without surrendering Gabriel, Makul and Sir Dunlan get to smack her. If she casts a spell Makul and Sir Dunlan (probably) get to smack her. If she moves anywhere Makul and Sir Dunlan get to smack her at least twice. Because she's prone we don't have to worry about any full attacks from her this round.

All of that's true, but nothing's preventing Xalyth from using an item to teleport. Sure, she should stand out like a sore thumb, wherever she ends up.

Tashalar
2012-03-26, 01:10 AM
Lol, yeah, I did attack the drow, my bad. Sorry, my brains been fried recently.
Alright then! :smallsmile:

Concerning Xalyth: the drow's a dextrous one. There are skill tricks and feats that allow AoO-free movement - even getting up from prone. On top of that there are items... so we don't know yet how this will play out. Which doesn't mean we cannot hope for the best. :smallsmile:

Malachei
2012-03-26, 09:05 AM
I'll update soon, I'm just waiting for clarification on a small, but significant detail.

Malachei
2012-03-26, 09:46 AM
FYI:

I often get server errors when posting. Though the post normally does appear, I don't see it in my subscriptions, i.e. the thread is not bold and hence, it does not list as unread. In case that happens to you, as well, you might want to check occasionally, even if it does not show as containing unread posts.

Tashalar
2012-03-26, 09:52 AM
Ouch! :smalleek:

Well, wow. That was an evil attack.

Mal - is the drow still prone or did the drow stand up from prone?

Malachei
2012-03-26, 10:01 AM
She stood up from prone (whilst invisible).

Feather Sigil
2012-03-26, 10:16 AM
O_O 9d6, jeez...

Did she avoid Gabriel's shot and the AoOs that would have been provoked from her standing up?

Tashalar
2012-03-26, 10:31 AM
She doesn't provoke the AoO from standing up while invisible...

... Gabriel's attack should still take place though. Hit hit AC 23 for 17 damage - does that hit, Mal (unless his ready doesn't work out)?

RaggedAngel - did Aria use truespeak to heal Makul after all? Please fill me in on the details if she did. :smallsmile:

Tashalar
2012-03-26, 10:52 AM
Maneuver roll: [roll0]
=> Stone bones

RaggedAngel
2012-03-26, 11:03 AM
She doesn't provoke the AoO from standing up while invisible...

... Gabriel's attack should still take place though. Hit hit AC 23 for 17 damage - does that hit, Mal (unless his ready doesn't work out)?

RaggedAngel - did Aria use truespeak to heal Makul after all? Please fill me in on the details if she did. :smallsmile:
She did not this turn, and I'm sorry about that; she really needed to bring her Universal Aptitude back up, and now was the first chance she's had to do so. Next turn, I promise. :smallwink:

Ladorak
2012-03-26, 11:10 AM
At least we know what we're dealing with now. That's a swordsage

Fort save: [roll0] DC 17

Tashalar
2012-03-26, 11:13 AM
Makul is using a full attack action. And 'cause I can spare loads of attacks if he fails at beating concealment, I'll roll it here! :smallsmile:

Low is bad as usual (ie: concealment works for the drow).

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2 (haste): [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]
Yessss...

Note: If Makul trips the drow, use the follow-up attack as his later attacks as those include the +4 bonus.

Edit: Well, unless the drow has a higher trip mod than before, she's tripped and Makul hits her twice for damage. The third attack probably is a near miss, right Mal?

Tashalar
2012-03-26, 11:26 AM
She did not this turn, and I'm sorry about that; she really needed to bring her Universal Aptitude back up, and now was the first chance she's had to do so. Next turn, I promise.
Oh, no worries! I just wanted to make sure. :smallsmile:

And now it may be that Ser Dunlan needs all your attention. After he healed Aria for 10 last round, he might benefit from some healing himself.

And swordsage indeed. Quite a good one, too.

Feather Sigil
2012-03-26, 12:19 PM
Silly forums. Can't see your messages.

I'd congratulate you on your rolls, Tasha, if I knew what they were. :smalltongue:

Malachei
2012-03-26, 03:13 PM
Yes, same here, in the IC, the last post I can see is mine. It happens regularly, and other threads are also affected.

Please repost, if possible.

Toliudar
2012-03-26, 03:24 PM
Tash's last post should now be visible.

Tashalar
2012-03-26, 03:47 PM
Which would be nice. :smallsmile:

I can see Mead's as well.

Feather Sigil
2012-03-26, 04:08 PM
It only corrects if you post in the topic in question after the error occurred. The OOC thread is fixed for me, but not the IC thread. Not yet.

Running out of spells...

Catgroove by Parov Stelar is the best song ever. :smallbiggrin:

Ladorak
2012-03-26, 04:49 PM
Yes, same here, in the IC, the last post I can see is mine. It happens regularly, and other threads are also affected.

Please repost, if possible.

Same thing happened to me, couldn't see my own post or any after it, but I could see on the OOC page that I was the last one to post. Very confusing :smallconfused:

Feather Sigil
2012-03-26, 05:29 PM
Mal, did Xalyth save vs. blindness?

And, of course, I was so worried her roll would fail that forgot to roll damage.

[roll0] untyped damage.

18 damage per round is still good. :smallsmile:

Malachei
2012-03-26, 05:41 PM
RaggedAngel, is Aria's utterance (Sp) affected by Spell Resistance? If yes, please roll a caster level check.

Malachei
2012-03-26, 05:47 PM
Tashalar, how high is Makul's opposed trip check now that he is normal size and fatigued? It should be a Str check with a +4 bonus (improved trip), so +9 total. I must have missed something, since your post uses +14.

What about your follow-up attack? It uses +18 including +4 vs. prone, so is based on +14, but in your stat block, it says +13 when fatigued. I guess you are still hasted or have I missed something else?

Also, dealing with GITP is becoming a pain. If problems persist, we'll have to consider moving this game to another place.

RaggedAngel
2012-03-26, 08:31 PM
RaggedAngel, is Aria's utterance (Sp) affected by Spell Resistance? If yes, please roll a caster level check.

Yes it is, and I seem to have forgotten to do the thing where I make it bypass SR. :smallannoyed:

Caster Level Check: [roll0] Are we really only level 7? Wow.

RaggedAngel
2012-03-26, 08:32 PM
18 damage per round is still good. :smallsmile:

Untyped damage that ignores AC and Child of Shadows. :smallwink:

Malachei
2012-03-27, 02:15 AM
Yes it is, and I seem to have forgotten to do the thing where I make it bypass SR. :smallannoyed:

Caster Level Check: [roll0]

Yes, that was what I wondered from reading your post, as well. Unfortunately, the caster level check is not good enough to penetrate her SR.

Are we really only level 7? Wow.

But only a few rounds more.

Feather Sigil
2012-03-27, 09:35 AM
Even without Aria's DoT we've still dealt quite a bit of damage to Xalyth over this turn.

Tashalar
2012-03-27, 10:55 AM
Tashalar, how high is Makul's opposed trip check now that he is normal size and fatigued? It should be a Str check with a +4 bonus (improved trip), so +9 total. I must have missed something, since your post uses +14.
You only got the 'standard' bonuses. He also gets +4 for the powerful build trait (goliath) and +2 from his 'living' spiked chain.

Wait, that's +15! :smallsmile:

I guess you are still hasted or have I missed something else?
Exactly. I forgot to add that modifier last round I think. And it's Makul's last haste round - it's listed under conditions in his character sheet summary. I track all spell effects with "current round / maximum round" (7/7 currently) there.

Also, dealing with GITP is becoming a pain. If problems persist, we'll have to consider moving this game to another place.
I sometimes have problems - but mostly minor ones.

But only a few rounds more.
At least those that survive...
... which means all of us! Yes! :smallcool:

Running out of spells...
Awesome, isn't it? :smallsmile:

Carr0t
2012-03-29, 12:49 PM
Apparently the forum forgot to remind me that there were some new answers :smallfrown: I'll post Gabriel's action in a couple of hours.

So do I need to roll a 30% miss chance for Gabriel's readied attack or did it not trigger? Just in case 30 or less misses [roll0]

:smallsigh:

Tashalar
2012-04-01, 10:04 AM
Well, well, Psydon. Are you having a little Sunday morning drink? Or are you still awake from yesterday? :smallbiggrin:

... is there some sort of award for bringing Ponyland to GitP? I saw the disconcerting purplish PONYLAND lettering on... uh... the 'top'? :smallsmile:

Feather Sigil
2012-04-01, 10:23 AM
In answer to all three of your questions: your guess is as good as mine, Tasha. :smalltongue:

I'd say the joke is an award in itself. If Rich Burley is a brony, the fandom is 20% cooler because of it.

Now have some dubstep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnyfvJ9pzVA&context=C4062b51ADvjVQa1PpcFMYddVxxgCs7DPaE3N74g28 VOKPr4MhEkU=

I'm the T-to-the-W...L-I-G-H-T. And ain't no other pony troll it down like me. I'm Twililicious!

RaggedAngel
2012-04-01, 01:12 PM
In answer to all three of your questions: your guess is as good as mine, Tasha. :smalltongue:

I'd say the joke is an award in itself. If Rich Burley is a brony, the fandom is 20% cooler because of it.

Now have some dubstep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnyfvJ9pzVA&context=C4062b51ADvjVQa1PpcFMYddVxxgCs7DPaE3N74g28 VOKPr4MhEkU=

I'm the T-to-the-W...L-I-G-H-T. And ain't no other pony troll it down like me. I'm Twililicious!

I lol'd. :smallcool:

Malachei
2012-04-01, 02:15 PM
It is so cool to see you all with these funny titles. Team spirit :)

Go, Team Pony, go!

Malachei
2012-04-13, 08:12 AM
Invisible post bug, again.

* casts invisibility purge *

Okay, sorry for the delay.

I'm not sure I have all the positions right, but with a single enemy, I will do a map update only when absolutely needed. If Makul is not adjacent to her, then the attack will have to be directed at Ser Dunlan, and I will edit accordingly. Note that she does not provoke AoO.

Carr0t
2012-04-13, 08:31 AM
I am probably missing something but how does the drow jump over Makul from prone?

Malachei
2012-04-13, 08:39 AM
Yes.

It was tricky, but she can do it. It is also completely RAW-legal. Please forgive me for doing my best to keep her alive a few more rounds :)

Also, just FYI, Rita's wand attack hit her, of course, and caused damage.

Feather Sigil
2012-04-13, 08:48 AM
A sword-wielding lady jumps up from a prone position, over someone's head, cuts him in mid-air, then flies over a bridge and lands on the opposite tower.

This encounter has become a wuxia fight, and that's awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Malachei
2012-04-13, 08:58 AM
Did I say I love Swordsages?

Tashalar
2012-04-13, 09:04 AM
We know that. :smallsmile:

Btw, Makul isn't adjacent to her - he's in G18. Ser Dunlan attacked her and didn't back off (5' step). So the attack hits him instead of Makul. :smalleek:

And now where is that bloody drow?!

Malachei
2012-04-13, 09:07 AM
Edited. Too bad, it would have looked better if she had dived over the goliath :) Also, Ser Dunlan was injured already.

Tashalar
2012-04-13, 09:24 AM
Yeah, more impressive. But Makul had lower hit points than Ser Dunlan at the time of the attack. She reversed that now though. ;-)

Toliudar
2012-04-13, 12:52 PM
Malachei, I ask partially to know whether I should chalk up the spell slot as used. I'd indicated that Mead would cast Hesitate on the drow on her action. Did the spell go off and was successfully saved against. Or did that get lost in the shuffle. If the latter, no need to ret-con a lovely post - I may just carry that action forward to this round. But if she saved against the hesitate, it may change my choices.

Malachei
2012-04-13, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry.

Will save: 1d20+14=29 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3465269/)

I'm sorry.

Toliudar
2012-04-13, 01:16 PM
Whoosh! High will save and SR to boot. This will be a tough nut to crack!

Malachei
2012-04-13, 01:48 PM
Well, I'd say she's the least of your problems.

Carr0t
2012-04-13, 02:05 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12978343&postcount=548

Move to western tower just behind the west facing crenelation

and the drow appeared at F9?

So that would make it adjacent to Gabriel, right?

Malachei
2012-04-13, 02:15 PM
Yes, it seems......

Carr0t
2012-04-13, 02:43 PM
19 missess, right?
Let's see if the arrow is recoverable [rool]1d100[/roll] 51 or higher means recoverable.

Malachei
2012-04-13, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, yes.

Carr0t
2012-04-13, 02:45 PM
[roll0]
Roll not rool :smallannoyed:

Tashalar
2012-04-13, 03:57 PM
Well, I'd say she's the least of your problems.
She's what? The least of our problems?

... well, if the dragon is going to be a major problem (if that's what you mean) and you originally had though that we'd end up fighting all of them together including the dragon, then... o.O

Well, we'll manage. For sure. Yesss. :smallcool:

Malachei
2012-04-13, 04:01 PM
Well, it is a large, slightly optimized party of expert players. I think you can handle a lot.

RaggedAngel
2012-04-13, 04:05 PM
Well, it is a large, slightly optimized party of expert players. I think you can handle a lot.

Truenamer powers: Activate!

Malachei
2012-04-13, 04:11 PM
Truenamers... Making the difference since 2006

RaggedAngel
2012-04-13, 04:21 PM
Truenamers... Making the difference since 2006

I've been wondering about something for a while, actually, but I just now thought to ask: how do you think a Truenamer's abilities should interact with the Words of Creation feat from the Book of Exalted Deeds? It wouldn't be appropriate for this game (unless you really like me :smallwink:) because it's pure homebrew, but the concept fits with Truenaming almost eerily well.

RaggedAngel
2012-04-13, 04:31 PM
Level check vs Spell Resistance: [roll0]

>_<

Malachei
2012-04-14, 05:42 AM
I've been wondering about something for a while, actually, but I just now thought to ask: how do you think a Truenamer's abilities should interact with the Words of Creation feat from the Book of Exalted Deeds? It wouldn't be appropriate for this game (unless you really like me :smallwink:) because it's pure homebrew, but the concept fits with Truenaming almost eerily well.

They should. A suggestion here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239716)

RaggedAngel
2012-04-14, 01:30 PM
They should. A suggestion here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239716)

Ooh. That's shiny. It isn't as a usable as the Bard version (double IC? Really?) and it offers some much needed versatility.

...now I have to choose between this and Quicken. Damn.

Malachei
2012-04-14, 01:38 PM
Ooh. That's shiny. It isn't as a usable as the Bard version (double IC? Really?) and it offers some much needed versatility.

...now I have to choose between this and Quicken. Damn.

Thanks. What do you mean by "double IC"?

RaggedAngel
2012-04-14, 06:31 PM
Thanks. What do you mean by "double IC"?
Oh, sorry about the shorthand. I meant that the Words of Creation feat doubles the bonus provided by the Bard's Inspire Courage ability. With all the boosts and modifiers available, and Dragonfire Inspiration, this can add up to a silly-powerful bonus for only 3d4 nonlethal damage.

Malachei
2012-04-15, 02:43 AM
Well, doubling bardic IC is a strong effect, but then, this use causes 1d4 nonlethal per rank of perform needed. Truenamer Words of Creation only cause 1d4 per level of utterance, plus they provide a sacred bonus.

Tashalar
2012-04-15, 04:49 AM
Well, well. I haven't posted for lack of ideas of what to do. But as things are as they are, I guess Makul won't be doing much. Moving over to the other tower and getting on top of it would probably take three rounds for him (fatigued) so that seems like a silly thing to try. :smallannoyed:

Malachei
2012-04-15, 05:22 AM
Ah, so you're too afraid of the jump? :smallbiggrin:

Tashalar
2012-04-15, 06:32 AM
Yeah, it's kinda on the far side. :smalleek:

Malachei
2012-04-16, 02:32 PM
Folks, if you find the time, please look at my Fiendlord base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239959) and give feedback / input.

Thank you!

Ladorak
2012-04-17, 04:48 PM
I really like the Fiendlord, I'd really like to play one.

Sorry to tie up the OOC with rolls, but it's a jump roll so it kinda changes what I can do with my turn. So far it involves a 5 step to F-17

Jump: [roll0]

Feather Sigil
2012-04-17, 07:15 PM
*reads Ladorak's post*

O_O

*JAW. DROPS.*

THAT. WAS. AWESOME!!!

Toliudar
2012-04-17, 07:19 PM
Indeed! A great reminder that ALL of the ToB classes have capacity for awesomeness.

Ladorak
2012-04-17, 07:45 PM
Engage smug mood. Smug mode engaged. Well, I can't sit around saving you guys all day, I have laundry to do. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMa0CxgCqiM&feature=related)

Tashalar
2012-04-18, 01:24 AM
Wow, nice one! :smallcool:

... know what? I got everything wrong. I thought the drow had vanished to the tower down below, south side of the bridge. I don't know why I mixed that up. :smallconfused:

(edit: just a - hopefully small - thing: I believe you cannot do a 5' step and move again on your turn, ie charge; so you'll just have to jump further, which should just work out with that jump check! :smallsmile: )

Malachei
2012-04-18, 07:16 AM
I really like the Fiendlord, I'd really like to play one.

Thank you. :) Perhaps you will?

Sorry to tie up the OOC with rolls, but it's a jump roll so it kinda changes what I can do with my turn. So far it involves a 5 step to F-17

Jump: [roll0]

At last, a JUMP! :)

Malachei
2012-04-18, 07:21 AM
Oh, and:

1d20+13=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3474552/) --> that is one short --> the drow is tripped.

Congratulations!

I hate to ask, but have you rolled the miss chance? *keeps fingers crossed*

Feather Sigil
2012-04-18, 07:46 AM
In addition to that, shouldn't he crit-confirm his extra attack? He rolled a natural 20 on it.

@Tasha: Not that I want to speak for the DM but I like to think you could. A charge:

-Is a full-round action, not a move action.
-Isn't a standard move. Not being able to do a standard move out of a 5' step makes sense because it would be way too easy to get away from melee opponents since 5' steps don't provoke AoOs. Charging has numerous restrictions; most of the time you simply can't do it whether you 5' step beforehand or not.

Ladorak
2012-04-18, 07:52 AM
While it's a full action manoeuvre, which would allow a 5-step, but it says 'As part of this action you charge an opponent' which would not. As you say, doesn't matter too much one way or the other thanks to the 30 foot jump

Malachei
2012-04-18, 10:47 AM
@Psydon:
Since you move to charge, you can't take a 5-foot step during the same turn.

@Ladorak: I've not looked at the map yet, just let me ask, why would your action need a 5-ft-step?

That is a fabulous attack, and I want to see it make a difference (and, if you hit, it will make a *huge* difference). Still, please remember to check for the miss chance (the drow still has concealment). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (not for the drow).

Tashalar
2012-04-18, 11:16 AM
He intended the 5' step at first I think and then jumped and then charged and then... then the 5' step didn't really work out, rules-wise.

Luckily, he can even make the jump without the 5' step because of his awesome roll! :smallcool:

*keeps fingers crossed for the miss chance AND CRIT CONFIRMATION!*

So in case the drow isn't down, then Rita might be able to finish it off.

Toliudar
2012-04-18, 12:48 PM
A jump can come anywhere within a move, right? So couldn't the first 5' of movement just be part of the charge action?

Tashalar
2012-04-18, 12:58 PM
Perfectly true, Toliudar. But I believe that a swift action (sudden leap is made as part of a swift action) cannot be performed in the midst of a move action. It's swift action => move action => standard action or swift action => full round action (in any combination you like), but the actions cannot be broken up, I think.

A 5' step in the middle of a full attack action is an exception, I believe.

Toliudar
2012-04-18, 01:00 PM
Ah, thanks Tashalar. I missed that part of the equation.

Malachei
2012-04-18, 03:16 PM
@Tasha: Thanks for being alert. I hope this doesn't get virtual dice thrown at you by the others, eventually :)

Ladorak
2012-04-18, 03:47 PM
Sorry about the concealment roll. I re-read where we were up to before posting, noticed I didn't roll them last time, kicked myself, posted and forgot again. Am now kicking self again

Miss chances:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: Oh god damn it...