PDA

View Full Version : Status Effect Striker

Incriptus
2012-01-12, 03:36 PM
Status Effect Striker

Just an idea that i'm tossing around. The idea is a melee character who makes use of feats that allow you to do different status effects on people. It is a little bit crude but I would like to stick to this baseline. I'm more interested if you would flip the order of some of the feats and what to do after I'm reached the main goal. Also note I am a big fan of immediate satisfaction since my games are usually played from 1st level to 10th level

The goals include, Improved Trip, Dungeon Crasher, Three Mountains, Brutal Strike & Swift Demoralization. The enemy should end up Prone, Sickened, Nausated, & Shaken/Cowering

Level 1: Barbarian [Wolf] 1: The character was raised in the Wolf Clan of Barbarians but spiritually was drawn to another clan, the Lion. This is what caused him to leave the tribe and seek adventure!
--- Spirit Totem Lion: Ever since they introduced that book Melee characters do this. Pounce is great.
--- Whirling Frenzy: Probably better, though honestly unsure, worth questioning?
--- Feat 1: Weapon Focus[Great Club] - Prereq for Three Mountains
--- Feat Human: Power Attack - Prereq for Three Mountains, will be useful in the higher levels

Level 2: Barbarian [Wolf] 2
--- Bonus Feat: Improved Trip - Tripping Debuff

Level 3: Fighter 1: Upon reaching civilized lands he was captured or recruited by a group of soldiers to fight for them
--- Feat 3: Improved Bull Rush - Prereq for Three Mountains, Prereq for Shocktrooper, Useful for Dungeon Crasher
--- Bonus Feat: Cleave - Prereq for Three Mountains

Level 4: Fighter 2:
--- Dungeon Crasher

Level 5: Fighter 3: Has earned the right to call himself a true Zhentarim Soldier.
--- Bonus Feat: Skill Focus Intimidate

Level 6: Fighter 4:
--- Feat 6: Three Mountains Strike
--- Bonus Feat: Brutal Strike

Level 7: Fighter 5:
--- Extended Initimidation

Level 8: Fighter 6:
--- Dungeon Crasher Improved

Level 9: Fighter 7:
--- Feat 9: Shock Trooper

Level 10: Fighter 8:
--- Bonus Feat: Leap Attack

Level 11: Fighter 9:
--- Swift Demoralization

Level 12: ???
--- Feat 12: Imperious Command

Where to go from there? Hopefully I would have retired the character by level 12 and moved on to the next idea, but who knows?

ericgrau
2012-01-12, 03:41 PM
You can get stunning fist and a ki focus weapon around level 10-12 or so. Without a wis focus it might only pop every once in a while, but it's superb when it does pop and basically only costs you a feat and 1d6 of damage (vs. using the weapon enchantment on something else).

A spell storing weapon + poison spell from the party druid could add on ability damage. Or other casting classes have nice spells too. I just remembered poison was one of the good options and it's a debuff unlike the other options I know off the top of my head.

Person_Man
2012-01-12, 04:27 PM
The goals include, Improved Trip, Dungeon Crasher, Three Mountains, Brutal Strike & Swift Demoralization. The enemy should end up Prone, Sickened, Nausated, & Shaken/Cowering

Yup, seems like you have all of the standard Tier 4 Fighter build stuff.

If you're using Improved Trip, you'll probably want Knock-Down (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Knock-Down). Alternatively, since you're using Bull Rush, you can knock enemies Prone using Shock Trooper.

If you're using Dungeon Crasher, you'll probably want to spend the +1 LA to be a Goliath so that you qualify for Knockback (Races of Stone, grants free Bull Rush checks when you Power Attack).

If you're using Swift Demoralization, you'll probably want to use the Never Outnumbered Skill Trick (Complete Scoundrel), which lets you effect slightly more enemies with it. You should also take a look at some of the Intimidation optimization threads for other bonuses (it's fairly easy to get +20ish to this check).

Three Mountains and Brutal Strike require a fairly high investment and deliver fairly limited effects. So I would skip them.

You may wish to look at Daze effects as well, since it's the most reliable and potent status effect out there. Shield Slam, Anvil of Thunder, Boomerang Daze, Killoren Smite, Dragonmark Smite, Devoted Inquisitor build, Cabinet Trickster, Dire Flail Smash, Ironsoul Forgemaster, Arcane Focus soulmeld, Incarnum Blast invocation, Dahlver-Nar vestige, Scion of Dantalion, Dazing Strike maneuver, a few magic items offer it.

Zaq
2012-01-12, 11:47 PM
Sand Dancer has some awkward stat requirements (it's meant for Monks) and requires a cooperative environment or a way to hack it, but it can let you blind on a hit.

Netherese Battle Curse is a good one. Not a specific condition ("cursed," I guess), but a debuff is a debuff.

Poisons are a good way to tack on "aaaand make a save against this" to a melee attack.

Darrin
2012-01-13, 09:30 AM

You'll want to take a look at cupkeyk's "Not called GREAT Club for nothing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49522)" build.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-13, 11:53 AM
Sand Dancer has some awkward stat requirements (it's meant for Monks) and requires a cooperative environment or a way to hack it, but it can let you blind on a hit.

Netherese Battle Curse is a good one. Not a specific condition ("cursed," I guess), but a debuff is a debuff.

Poisons are a good way to tack on "aaaand make a save against this" to a melee attack.

Not sure what 'sand dancer' does, but can you get the cooperative environment by carrying around some black sand or whatever? The same way that walkers in the waste carry sand around so that they can always use their best abilities?

I don't have much to suggest regarding build optimization itself, except maybe to check out Jack B Quick. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick). It would require using aptitude weapons to have a chance of using both three mountains and Highsword/low axe in the same combat, let alone the same round.
Though I'd suggest going for the spinning swords for anything that requires multiple weapon hits.

My primary suggestion for this, is your items. Primarily your weapon effects. I was working on an AOO-centric fighter a while back, his damage was low, but on each hit, you'd get a half dozen different magic effects that would debuff you. Made the game a real pain for the DM though.
So here's this list, with prices+source.

{table=Head]Name|Book|Cost|Effect|Save
Wounding |DMG|+2|1 Con damage|None
MarrowCrushing |BoVD|+3|1 Con Damage|None
Enfeebling|BoED|+1|on crit, 1d6+2 Temp Str Damage|None
Paralyzing|BoED|+2|Paralyzed up to 10 rounds|Will 17
Roaring|BoED|+3|Shaken, 2d6 sonic|Will 22
Nervewrack|D.Und|+1|On Crit Many effects1d4 rounds|None
Subjugating|Heroes of Battle|+2|Shaken/Frightened 5 rounds|Will 20
Doom Burst|Mini|+1|Crit, shaken 5minutes|None
Paralytic Burst|Mini|+2|Crit, Hold Monster|None
Weakening|Shining South|+3|1 Str Damage|None
Lifedrinker weapon|DMG/SRD|38k|2 negative levels, 1 negative level on user|Fort 16, next day.
Sudden Stunning|DMG2|2000|Swift action, 1d4+1 rounds|Ref: 10+ 1/2 level+User Cha mod
CurseSpewing|BoVD|+1|On hit:-4 morale to attack, saves, ability checks, skill checks|Will DC15
[/table]

Person_Man
2012-01-13, 03:20 PM
Not sure what 'sand dancer' does, but can you get the cooperative environment by carrying around some black sand or whatever?

Whenever you move at least 10 ft in an area of sand/loose dirt/etc, Tumble, and attack and damage an enemy, they must Save or be Blinded for one round.

It's a very efficient feat to use (since you can Tumble as part of any movement, including a Charge). But if you're not adventuring in a desert, then you basically have to buy a Bottle of Endless Sand and use it during or before combat (based on how much sand your DM requires to trigger it - it's pretty vague) or have someone cast Transmute Stone to Sand or Black Sand to create it.

All of the above is in Sandstorm.

Chronos
2012-01-13, 05:42 PM
I don't know how well it'd fit into your build, but another route is to get a few Sneak Attack dice and some ambush feats. They can be somewhat situational, though.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-13, 08:13 PM
I don't know how well it'd fit into your build, but another route is to get a few Sneak Attack dice and some ambush feats. They can be somewhat situational, though.

Assassins stance from ToB gets you 2d6. Take swordsage later in your build, and you should be able to get that immediately with your higher IL. It'll also give you a fort+will boost.
Actually, doesn't Shadowhand have a lot of strikes that deal various effects? Finishing the build with just that should do nicely.