PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 iPhone apps?

Zaq
2012-01-12, 05:50 PM
So, I got an iPhone for Christmas, and I'm still figuring out everything it can do. As should be no surprise to anyone here (NERDS that we are), I'd like to get it involved in my D&D games. I'm not after die rollers or anything like that—I'm more interested in character sheets and that sort of thing. Are there any good ones out there, ideally with customizable options? I'd love to see an essentia tracker that would keep track of your bonuses for you (even if I had to enter the soulmelds manually, since they're not OGL), but I'm not holding my breath.

Basically, what's out there? I'm not even sure what to look for, but I'm sure there must be a ton of cool stuff. Any recommendations?

NOhara24
2012-01-12, 06:36 PM
There's a spellbook app on the appstore drawn from the SRD, but that's really the only thing I've found. A dice roller is nice to have if you've done something that requires you roll more dice than you have, which admittedly, isn't hard to do in 3.5

Campbellk8105
2012-01-12, 06:47 PM
All I have seen is the spellbook, there are two different ones. Spellbook and iSpells SRD.

Of course there are dice rollers, definitely don't waste money buying one, download a free one. I prefer to roll multiple times rather than use a dice roller personally. Dice rollers roll generally lower than what I roll with dice on average.

I haven't seen any 3.5 character sheets, I believe there might be a 4e character sheet app, but that doesn't help here.

Zaq
2012-01-12, 07:56 PM
There's a spellbook app on the appstore drawn from the SRD, but that's really the only thing I've found. A dice roller is nice to have if you've done something that requires you roll more dice than you have, which admittedly, isn't hard to do in 3.5

I think you underestimate my collection of dice, but either way, I like the feeling of dice in my hands.

All I have seen is the spellbook, there are two different ones. Spellbook and iSpells SRD.

Of course there are dice rollers, definitely don't waste money buying one, download a free one. I prefer to roll multiple times rather than use a dice roller personally. Dice rollers roll generally lower than what I roll with dice on average.

I haven't seen any 3.5 character sheets, I believe there might be a 4e character sheet app, but that doesn't help here.

Hmm. That's a little disappointing. I do also play 4e, so if you have any recommendations for that sort of thing, I'm all ears.

Anything else? Surely there's something out there.

Diarmuid
2012-01-13, 10:45 AM
I went through something similar and didnt find any iPhone apps with usable character sheets. Xmas rolled around an iPad arrived and since then I've found the app DnD Sheets to be very good as a character sheet.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly more than useable. I'm hoping the creator decides to work in damage rolling along with attack rolls for weapons, but even without that, it handles many things very well.

Ancient Mage
2012-01-13, 05:47 PM
Technology meets D&D again. I don't think that there are many apps for D&D currently (except the dice rollers). I think WotC is trying to get technology more involved with D&D though, so you can expect some to come out sooner or later.

-Ancient Mage

Heatwizard
2012-01-14, 08:27 AM
I know I had a character sheet program on my iphone at some point. It was core only, but it's something. I forget what it was called, I'll look.

e: "RPG Scribe". It's two bucks, though.

Zaq
2012-01-14, 11:55 AM
I know I had a character sheet program on my iphone at some point. It was core only, but it's something. I forget what it was called, I'll look.

e: "RPG Scribe". It's two bucks, though.

Two bucks isn't that bad if it works. More importantly, was it any good? Did it include (or, more likely, have an option to manually input) non-SRD or custom material?

Edit: just saw that you said core only. Was there at least a custom option for me to put in non-core stuff, even if it wasn't there by default?

Ksheep
2012-01-14, 06:43 PM
I've been planing on messing around with my iPhone, thinking of making some sort of app to this effect. I've already made a prototype character generator using core only stuff, but I still need to see if I can't make a character sheet, preferably with the ability to add custom stuff.

The main problem right now: school. I should probably focus on doing my Comp Sci homework rather than messing around making side projects like this ¬_¬

Zaq
2012-01-22, 03:57 AM
Well, I don't want to be the one who keeps you from your homework, but if you do come up with something, please be sure to let me know!

Greenish
2012-01-22, 06:00 AM
Dice rollers roll generally lower than what I roll with dice on average.Have you actually written down the rolls to compare, or is that just a feeling? :smalltongue:

elvengunner69
2012-01-22, 10:26 AM
Feudz Dice, Feudz Loot (limited but it can give you an odd random loot item like cheese or bread...), Spellbook, Scry, Encounter Gen (good for a random encounter)

Some are free some cost a buck or two.

Campbellk8105
2012-01-22, 01:39 PM
Have you actually written down the rolls to compare, or is that just a feeling? :smalltongue:

Written them down, no. But, the 20's are much, much more common when I roll my dice rather than using a dice roller. Especially when I get a lucky streak and get 4 in a row. Like in my campaign last night. No dice roller would actually get you that. In theory it could, but I have yet to see it.

flabort
2012-01-22, 07:11 PM
I've been planing on messing around with my iPhone, thinking of making some sort of app to this effect. I've already made a prototype character generator using core only stuff, but I still need to see if I can't make a character sheet, preferably with the ability to add custom stuff.

The main problem right now: school. I should probably focus on doing my Comp Sci homework rather than messing around making side projects like this ¬_¬

Do you know how to make apps? Nifty.
Perhaps you could make a battlemap (or just plain map) app were you can build maps out of... whatever, graphic tiles, and store the maps in memory, put down tokens, and keep track of max/current hp; And during a game, you can call one up, move stuff about, change hp values, whatever, and the players who have iphones/pads/whatever can connect and see it. I don't know how you'd do it, especially how you'd allow one person in a group to be the DM through the app, but it would be useful, allowing groups to have games, when their not all together. You may have to add voice chat, and how you choose to connect them is up to you...

...Sorry. You need to concentrate, not be bugged by others to start MORE side projects. :smalltongue: That might be a more ambitious project then finishing your education. :smallamused: :smallbiggrin: ...Sorry.

Ksheep
2012-01-22, 08:54 PM
Do you know how to make apps? Nifty.
Perhaps you could make a battlemap (or just plain map) app were you can build maps out of... whatever, graphic tiles, and store the maps in memory, put down tokens, and keep track of max/current hp; And during a game, you can call one up, move stuff about, change hp values, whatever, and the players who have iphones/pads/whatever can connect and see it. I don't know how you'd do it, especially how you'd allow one person in a group to be the DM through the app, but it would be useful, allowing groups to have games, when their not all together. You may have to add voice chat, and how you choose to connect them is up to you...

...Sorry. You need to concentrate, not be bugged by others to start MORE side projects. :smalltongue: That might be a more ambitious project then finishing your education. :smallamused: :smallbiggrin: ...Sorry.

Actually, looking at this, maybe I won't get around to this anytime soon. I've got the tools to write code for OS X, but to get the iOS application editing software requires the next highest Apple Developer level… the one that costs $100 a year. So… maybe once I get a good paying job…

Dragon Star
2012-01-22, 09:16 PM
You dont really need an app for character sheets. Just make a mythweavers account. Useless for someone with an iPod touch, but an iPhone can access the website at any time.

Diarmuid
2012-01-23, 11:46 AM
While the myth-weavers solution does work, I like the DnD Sheets app for iPad because it has die rolls built into the sheet itself and dynamic updating for hit points and temporary buffs with trackers for various effects.

Granted it's for the iPad, but personally I wouldnt want to try and game off a sheet on the iPhone screen.

axel2383
2012-01-24, 03:56 AM
While the myth-weavers solution does work, I like the DnD Sheets app for iPad because it has die rolls built into the sheet itself and dynamic updating for hit points and temporary buffs with trackers for various effects.

Granted it's for the iPad, but personally I wouldnt want to try and game off a sheet on the iPhone screen.

Dnd Sheets is good (as it's characterFolio) but is bugged in the inventory (if your character has a lot of equipment it append that some equip disappear and then reappear randoml...it's a big bug in my opinion).

On the other hand characterFolio is also a good app, but has the problem that the inventory sheet can contain not so much equipment.