PDA

View Full Version : Armor of the Everwhilrling Chain*

big teej
2012-01-12, 06:21 PM
greetings playgrounders,

I was struck by an idea the other day, which is still in it's infancy, but I wanted to throw it out there for critique.

to step outside the realm of fantasy for a moment for the sake of appearences.

imagine for me, a set of american football shoulder-pads

instead of plastic and leather however, it is made of chains woven together of various lengths and thickness.

the armor provides a +9 AC bonus and has a maximum dex bonus of +1**

in addition to this, the wearer can grab a chain from the armor and pull it free of the weave, and use it as a weapon (treat as either a +1 whip, +1 spiked chain, or +1 flail, wearer's choice)

when the wearer is through with the chain-weapon, it slithers back into the weave.

now, my plan for pricing this item is as follows.
cost of equivilant armor (batttle plate in this instance)
cost of a "permanent" version of the spell "animate chain" (BOVD)
and then maybe tack on an extra 1,000 or so for the niftyness.

*name is subject to change... it's a work in progress
** these numbers are also subject to change, I am inclined to treat the armor as if it were battle plate (races of stone) for the purposes of armor qualities and pricing.

so....

thoughts?

and please remember, this is an idea in it's infancy.

I'm also considering....
- allowing a number (somewhere between 1 and infinity) to be pulled from the armor at any time.
- giving it an ability like the chain devil to control other chains.

DracoDei
2012-01-13, 04:12 PM
Your thread title is mis-spelled. Editing the first post and changing the title there will PROBABLY fix this.

Also, what is the point of this? Is it supposed to be mechanically useful, or just cool? One or more concealed weapons (that can assume one of three forms in the process of being drawn) plus the armor.

You don't know your item pricing rules. Permanency is assumed/included in the defaults for magic weapon and armor pricing. I am sure someone (maybe even me) can walk you through it (it is covered in the System Reference Document, AKA SRD) but first you should pin down your idea.

SkySonata
2012-01-13, 05:00 PM
You were struck by this idea? Like, all this just came to you?

I like your way of thinking.