PDA

View Full Version : From SAD to MAD - A Lessening of the Power of the Mystical Arts

daemonaetea
2012-01-12, 09:44 PM
Very first thing: I was unsure if this belonged on here or the homebrew forum. If I misjudged I apologize in advance. Also, I tried to see if this had been discussed before, and didn't find anything (except a single old topic on a different board), so if this has been discussed to death I also apologize for that.

INTRO

One of the advantages of your average caster is how SAD (Single Attribute Dependency) they are. Your typical wizard would like high stats in things other than Intelligence, yes, but he or she doesn't actually require said stats. A high INT score is generally enough to see them through. Most casters share this, suitably changed for the mental stat associated with them (Druids in particular). This is in direct opposition of your general melee class, which requires a number of at least decent ability scores, since every ability they have is not derived from a single attribute. For them, combat requires Strength for damage, Dexterity to avoid blows, Constitution to survive them, and possibly some of the mental stats to qualify for feats or to strengthen weak Will saves. Meanwhile, the Wizard with his high Intelligence hides in the back and laughs as he burns the world down, or possibly merely rearranges it to his satisfaction.

As such, I posit that at least some (perhaps a very small part, but hopefully some) of the balance between classes can be fixed by introducing MAD (Multiple Attribute Dependency) to casters.

A few notes, before we go any further: First, this is only meant for high powered games. If your casters are generally upstaged by the fighter, this is not for you. If, however, you have to limit higher tiers at your table because you know your players are highly capable, this is for you. Second, this is of course incapable of fixing all the problems. Such is the power of spells. There are spells that won't be fixed by this (in particular those that have no saves), and some casters never run low on spells, depending on the campaign and style of the DM in question. This is but a single step to closing the gap between the power of casters and mundanes. Third, only the core casters are represented below, but expanding the change outside of core would be simplicity itself.

THE CHANGE

So, with that out of the way, behold the chart, the center of the change:

{table=head] | Cleric | Druid | Sorc. | Wiz. | Bard
INT| Bonus | Saves | Know | Know | Bon/Sav |
WIS | Know | Know | Bonus | Saves | Bon/Sav |
CHA | Saves | Bonus | Saves | Bonus | Know |
[/table]

The way it's used is simple. It shows what mental stat correlates to what aspect of magic for that particular class. For example, the Cleric requires a Wisdom score of 10 + the spell level in order to cast that spell. The save for that spell is determined by the Charisma bonus of the Cleric in question. Finally, the bonus spells the Cleric can prepare are dependant on the Cleric's Intelligence score. The exception is the Bard, which is explained below.

THE FLUFF

It takes wisdom to understand the divine magic that is gifted upon you. Clerics then use their charisma to apply this magic unto the world, almost attempting to convert natural reality to the way they wish it to be. Druids use their intelligence to apply the magic upon natural principles. Clerics gain extra spells through intelligence, better ordering their minds that they may accept more knowledge from their god. Druids gain extra spells through charisma, better able to persuade nature that they are its champions, and thus earn extra favor.

It takes intelligence to understand arcane magic, to see how the spell is warping reality, and understand the fabric it is changing. Sorcerers use their charisma to apply this magic unto the world, convincing reality that it should be just so, instead of how it was before. Wizards use wisdom to apply magic, their great understanding allowing them to conceive of the weak points of reality itself. Sorcerers gain extra spells through wisdom, by understanding the optimal amount of power to draw upon for each spell, stretching out the magic they have left within themselves. Wizards gain extra spells through charisma, using sheer force of personality to convince the Weave itself (or some other campaign appropriate source, or as you will) to give them extra spells.

Bards are different again. They actually gain their knowledge of magic at an instinctual level, learning new spells through the way they interact with magic itself, which is through their charisma. This magic can be either arcane or divine, as chosen at the start of their career. Arcanists use their intelligence to apply and draw upon this source, using that stat for saves and bonus spells. The divine practitioner will instead use their wisdom to draw from that well, apply it to their saves and bonus spells.

Half casters use a single stat as normal. They are only partially grasping the nature of magic (expressed by the half casting levels gained), and this is represented through their simplistic understanding of that which they use, which is only a single facet of the continuum of magic represented by the breakdown across multiple stats.

Depending on the campaign in question the above could be changed, possibly to show the different nature of certain groups or countries. This could be a simple way to personalize certain NPCs, or perhaps even PCs if they feel that a different breakdown between the three stats would be more fitting.

THE EXPLANATION

Generally speaking, the average caster still has only a single stat that is absolutely necessary. However, now that single stat isn't used for every aspect of their magic, just like a warrior class can't take Strength and derive every single thing he does based off of that, even if it's a primary concern. A caster now has good reason to want very strongly for at least three stats to have a good score. This is applied, however, only to full casters, by which I mean those who achieve 9th level spells. Others are granted a reprieve, as it seems unfair to demand, say, a Paladin to have three good stats for their own scraps of power.

MINOR ALTERNATIVE

While I believe the above rules are appropriate for full casters, especially those of a higher level, I understand that this could have drastic effects at low levels, or for those who are only picking up casting as a dip (for whatever reason). Thus, the below is a possible alternative:

As a caster grows in their art, their understanding of it broadens, offering new benfits and new costs. At first level each uses only a single stat for all effects related to magic, use the knowledge stat as that stat. This represents their shallow understanding of their art Upon gaining 5th level spells the caster has gained new insight into the properties of magic itself. This means they can now cast powerful new spells, but with this ability comes a price. They now recognize their previous understanding as shallow. While the ability to cast still is tied to the original stat, bonus spells and saves are now determined by a different mental stat, which the caster can decide at this time. Upon gaining 8th level spells, yet another awakening occurs. The caster is now able to severely alter the nature of reality with their magic, calling upon the most powerful of spells. This comes with a price. They have achieved a perfect understanding of their art, of all the aspects that go into using their power. Their spells now use the above full chart to determine how their magic works.

This allows dips in arcane classes to be more functional, and even offers benefits to those who choose to only dip arcane classes. The attainment of high level spells now has at least a partial setback to offset their abilities.

CONCLUSION AND WEAKNESSES

As I said above, this by no means fixes the divide between the power of magical and mundane classes. It is, however, a fairer divide to my own way of thinking. It seems frankly ridiculous that, in addition to unrivaled cosmic power, the Wizard also gets to focus on only a single stat while his poor Paladin (or, God forbid, Monk) friend desperately tries to keep four or five as high as possible.

There are, of course, some builds that are more penalized by this than others. Blasters, those perhaps least deserving of a nerf, are perhaps hit the worst. Your typical God Wizard, on the other hand, is only inconvenienced. It is, however, a start, and fixes one of my most disliked aspects of magic in D&D, which is that a single stat generally keys off all your magical abilities, while the mundane generally benefit, if not entirely need, all the physical abilities for their forte.

All in all, I hope that this change, and the fluff, is at least an interesting idea to any who've made it this far. Questions and comments are welcome.

Psyren
2012-01-12, 10:17 PM
The fluff is all right, but this approach has been tried before. The problem lies here:

A caster now has good reason to want very strongly for at least three stats to have a good score.

This statement is simply not true. All you'll end up doing is pushing casters away from spells that require a save, since optimizing the "save stat" will reduce their ammunition.

Using your druid as an example - they will focus on Cha (since that is the stat that determines bonus spells.) Wis will stop at 19 until epic levels, and there's a pretty good chance that a large chunk of that 19 will come first from items, then from Wishes. Int will be largely disregarded (just as it is now) in favor of summoning or other no-save spells.

In short, your Druids will still be SAD, or at best only slightly MAD until they can acquire enough +Wis gear.
The same will be true of the other casters.

Coidzor
2012-01-12, 10:22 PM
Look at things that already are MAD casters. Archivists and Favored Souls.

Generally this just pushes them towards using no save, just suck spells or buffs, which reduces the fun of the classes by just diminishing their options without doing so in a way that is fully thought out.

Get rid of problem spells or get rid of the problem in them, and you've got a lot better mileage out of that than making everyone mad and sad.

Psyren
2012-01-12, 10:31 PM
Or alter the casting system entirely. The one casting stat that nobody ever pays attention to is caster level; by tying some of the effects of this number to an "off-stat," you can force all casters to care about multiple ability scores.

As an extreme, off-the-cuff example: "Your caster level is equal to your class level or 2x your {other mental stat} modifier, whichever is lower." Suddenly the summoners and buffers are sitting up straight and paying attention. I didn't go in-depth on the math on this one but it's a place to start.

Manateee
2012-01-12, 10:33 PM
The wizard can still planar bind an army of whatever outsiders match his outfit, then shapechange into a solar and do a little jig while the fighter cries. As a fix, it's pretty totally ineffectual.

I do like it as a mechanics shift, though. IMO, it's more interesting to present alternative stat constructions for different focuses than to make stat allocations completely clear-cut.

EDIT:
Actually, for non-full spellcasters (eg. BARD), I'd rather avoid it. They've got other stats to prioritize anyway.

Snowbluff
2012-01-12, 10:43 PM
The fluff is all right, but this approach has been tried before. The problem lies here:

This statement is simply not true. All you'll end up doing is pushing casters away from spells that require a save, since optimizing the "save stat" will reduce their ammunition.

Using your druid as an example - they will focus on Cha (since that is the stat that determines bonus spells.) Wis will stop at 19 until epic levels, and there's a pretty good chance that a large chunk of that 19 will come first from items, then from Wishes. Int will be largely disregarded (just as it is now) in favor of summoning or other no-save spells.

In short, your Druids will still be SAD, or at best only slightly MAD until they can acquire enough +Wis gear.
The same will be true of the other casters.

I agree. This excercise is not conducive to nerfing casters sufficiently. The worst caster problems can't be solved with lowering the save anyway.

One more thing. The caster problem has been fixed. It's called T3 casting.

daemonaetea
2012-01-12, 10:57 PM
Ah well, such was my fear. I had known that this would be partially negated by spell choice (mentioned it somewhere up there, I think), but it wasn't until you started listing examples that I realized just how much that was the case.

I do like it as a mechanics shift, though. IMO, it's more interesting to present alternative stat constructions for different focuses than to make stat allocations completely clear-cut.

Yeah, this was at least partially an attempt to at least make the other stats relevant. Like I said, it does slightly annoy me that casters really only need a single stat. Just strikes me as ridiculous. I actually like stats that are somewhat varied, not just pumping one or two things as high as you can and leaving everything else at the min.

Actually, for non-full spellcasters (eg. BARD), I'd rather avoid it. They've got other stats to prioritize anyway.

I wavered on whether to throw the Bard in with the partial casters as sticking with one stat, but ultimately decided to meet it halfway.