PDA

View Full Version : Hot and Cold?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-13, 12:54 AM
So, if I'm a barbarian, and I take the Blazing Berserker feat from Sandstorm and the Frozen Berserker feat from Frostburn, when I'm raging I gain both the [cold] and [fire] subtypes? How does this work exactly? Do I become immune to fire and cold damage? Do they cancel each other out? Is there a rule somewhere that prevents a creature from having both subtypes at the same time?

Safety Sword
2012-01-13, 12:59 AM
So, if I'm a barbarian, and I take the Blazing Berserker feat from Sandstorm and the Frozen Berserker feat from Frostburn, when I'm raging I gain both the [cold] and [fire] subtypes? How does this work exactly? Do I become immune to fire and cold damage? Do they cancel each other out? Is there a rule somewhere that prevents a creature from having both subtypes at the same time?

If I was the DM I would be luke warm about letting you have both elemental types. :smallamused:

However, I don't think that's there's anything expressly in the rules that prevents it. It doesn't have to make sense. This is D&D.

Alleran
2012-01-13, 01:20 AM
So, if I'm a barbarian, and I take the Blazing Berserker feat from Sandstorm and the Frozen Berserker feat from Frostburn, when I'm raging I gain both the [cold] and [fire] subtypes?
I think so, yes (AFB).

Do I become immune to fire and cold damage?
You become immune to fire through the Fire subtype, and vulnerable to cold damage. You are also, however, immune to cold damage from the Cold subtype, and so you take no damage from cold effects. It also works in reverse. Each subtype should cover the vulnerability that the other gives, rendering you immune to both of them (well, without things like Searing Spell, anyway). I don't know of any rule that would prevent it. Nor would I be boiling over at the thought of somebody having both subtypes, either - it's not that much of a boost in the long run.

Slipperychicken
2012-01-13, 04:59 PM
Blazing Berserker feat from Sandstorm and the Frozen Berserker feat from Frostburn

You're using two feats for in-combat energy immunities, the combination of which brings up a really cool mental image, and makes sense thematically. Sounds good to me.

Ancient Mage
2012-01-13, 05:34 PM
I DM a lot, and I think that most DM's would probably say no to that one. It would be like having a +1 flaming frost longsword. Plus, if you look at certain spells, they cancel each other out. Heat metal cancels Chill metal to some degree, and vice versa. However, if your DM allows it, that sounds like a great feat combo.

-Ancient Mage

Zombimode
2012-01-13, 05:45 PM
I DM a lot, and I think that most DM's would probably say no to that one.

Really? The player has to spend two feats on it, something barbarians dont really have much to spare, or at least better alternatives (like more power attack multipliers).

The Random NPC
2012-01-13, 05:52 PM
It would be like having a +1 flaming frost longsword.

-Ancient Mage

Which is neither against the rules nor frequently banned in my admittedly anecdotal experience.

Demons_eye
2012-01-13, 05:53 PM
I DM a lot, and I think that most DM's would probably say no to that one. It would be like having a +1 flaming frost longsword. Plus, if you look at certain spells, they cancel each other out. Heat metal cancels Chill metal to some degree, and vice versa. However, if your DM allows it, that sounds like a great feat combo.

-Ancient Mage

I would think, IMHO, that it would be reverse. There is nothing in the rules that say you can't have both flaming and frost. Also those spells that cancel each other are called out on it. They are the exception not the rule.

Doorhandle
2012-01-13, 05:55 PM
Works by raw, doesn't break the game, good enougth for me.

Psyren
2012-01-13, 06:00 PM
In a game where you can have a Succubus Paladin, all bets are off imo.