PDA

View Full Version : need mindless action anime.

thubby
2012-01-13, 01:30 AM
so i've recently been getting into some very heavy literature, and i need a break.

and to that end im looking for an anime i dont have to think about. cool action, potential badassery, and to hell with physics.
fantasy/scifi/"realistic" dont really care.

i have seen most of the big names (bleach, naruto, dbz, etc.)

Xondoure
2012-01-13, 01:33 AM
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan. So it can be said just once (hopefully.)

nihil8r
2012-01-13, 01:38 AM
i just watched claymore on netflix, it was fun. first half is very good, second half is "just okay." :)

Dumbledore lives
2012-01-13, 01:41 AM
Gurren Lagann has already been said, so I'll suggest FLCL by the same company. A 6 episode coming of age story told through a very Japanese lens.

Worira
2012-01-13, 01:44 AM
I'm going to recommend Afro Samurai and its sequel, Afro Samurai:Resurrection. They are tales of a guy with poofy hair killing a whole bunch of dudes. Also some robots.

Feytalist
2012-01-13, 01:45 AM
FLCL is hardly mindless.

My vote goes to Excel Saga. It revels in its absurdity.

Xondoure
2012-01-13, 01:50 AM
Oh, Samurai Champloo is fun. A bit dark sometimes, but pretty unashamed about being there for cool fight scenes.

Dumbledore lives
2012-01-13, 03:15 AM
FLCL is hardly mindless.

My vote goes to Excel Saga. It revels in its absurdity.

Maybe not mindless, but I enjoy turning my mind off while watching it.

Another kind of weird mindless violence kind of thing is Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Weird name, weirder show. Got some decent action in there, especially episode 6.

Radar
2012-01-13, 03:48 AM
Slayers is a good, fun series, you don't have to think through. It has the same feel as a casual fantasy campaign.

Rebelhero
2012-01-13, 05:03 AM
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan. So it can be said just once (hopefully.)

You said it so i dont have too.
Nothing is more mindlessly awesome and manly.
Just the theme song will put hair on your chest. and its song by a girl. thats how manly.

XD

Manga Shoggoth
2012-01-13, 05:09 AM
Record of Lodoss War is quite good. If you want it less serious, Rune Soldier Louie has its moments...

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-13, 05:25 AM
Another kind of weird mindless violence kind of thing is Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Weird name, weirder show. Got some decent action in there, especially episode 6.

'Weird' doesn't even begin to cover a fraction of the absurd amounts of bat**** crazy contained in that show. Some pretty cool action scenes in it.

Off the top of my head:

Afro Samurai is absolutely great for mindless action. The titular character is dubbed by Samuel L. Jackson. 'Nuff said.

Samurai Champloo has some really awesome action, but it also has a few slow, fairly introspective episodes. You can skip those if not in the mood. Great series.

TTGL is so mindlessly manly your chest hairs will grow their own chest hair.

Baccano! has a confusingly laid-out plot (which is part of why it's so great), but also ranks pretty high on the badass action scale. Immortal gangsters in prohibition-era America.

Jan Mattys
2012-01-13, 05:25 AM
Bastard!!
(that's the manga name)

excellent.

Rebelhero
2012-01-13, 07:05 AM
Double post. dang internet.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-13, 08:07 AM
Dragonball GT wasn't too bad. Definitely mindless.

HFool
2012-01-13, 09:04 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but you might want to check out Redline. Heard some crazy stuff about it (something about suplexing cars I think).

Dr.Epic
2012-01-13, 09:08 PM
Gurren Lagann
Berserk (kind of)
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Feytalist
2012-01-14, 03:07 AM
Gungrave suddenly springs to mind. It has a plot, but it's easily ignored.

Zaydos
2012-01-14, 03:09 AM
Fairy Tail comes to mind, maybe because I've been reading the manga.

Redline isn't fighting, but it's a racing movie with a lot of action and it's pretty mindless but really good.

Lord Seth
2012-01-14, 03:10 AM
so i've recently been getting into some very heavy literature, and i need a break.

and to that end im looking for an anime i dont have to think about. cool action, potential badassery, and to hell with physics.
fantasy/scifi/"realistic" dont really care.Gurren Lagann. Seriously, it's everything you just asked for, and quite frankly I can't think of any anime that fits your criteria better.

If you don't mind it being more on the goofy and comedic side, there's also BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo. I should warn you that if you check it out, the early episodes (especially the 3-8 stretch or so) are the weakest part of the series.

ShellBullet
2012-01-14, 03:28 AM
Super robot wars inspectors. Fun mecha show, especially if you have played Super robot wars orginal generation 1 and 2.

tensai_oni
2012-01-14, 08:27 AM
Anything directed by Masami Obari. Gravion, Dancougar Nova, Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspectors (as mentioned above). All of them offer mostly mindless but entertaining action. Also fanservice but nothing NSFW.

Killer Angel
2012-01-16, 07:30 AM
Record of Lodoss War is quite good

I don't know if it can be defined mindless, tough...
On a similar level, there's also The Vision of Escaflowne.

But I'll give my +1 to this:

Bastard!!
(that's the manga name)

excellent.
There's also an OVA, but the manga is a must
(warning: Heavy Metal is present in numerous ways in all the manga. If you're into metal, you'll pick the various citations, otherwise a part of the fun will be lost...)

Mx.Silver
2012-01-16, 08:41 AM
I don't know if it can be defined mindless, tough...
On a similar level, there's also The Vision of Escaflowne.

'Similar level' being defined here as: 'not even close to being a mindless action series'.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-16, 09:52 AM
Hellsing Ultimate.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet. I'm surprised I hadn't mentioned it yet!

AtlanteanTroll
2012-01-16, 10:03 AM
Dragonball GT wasn't too bad. Definitely mindless.

Maybe not, but if you ejoyed Dragon Ball or DBZ at all, your brain will slowly try to strangle you the further along in the show you are. On that note, I recommend Dragon Ball Z KAI, even if you've already seen DBZ. It's shiny and clean. And doesn't have a solid month full of filler.

And another +1 to TTGL.

Kyouhen
2012-01-16, 10:40 AM
Baki The Grappler! I've only really seen 3 or 4 episodes, but it's pretty mindlessly violent. It's been a while since I've last seen it, so my memory's a little vague on it, but it was about some guy who wants to be a fighter. Pretty basic stuff. I do remember that at one point they had to actually tone down how heavily built the main character was so they could introduce a character considerably more massive than he was without getting too ridiculous. This is the same episode where Baki fights a demon bear. I'm not joking.

Psyren
2012-01-16, 10:54 AM
The thing about anime - while it has tons of action, very little of it is truly mindless. There's always some kind of theme or underlying message going on that you'll end up analyzing in spite of yourself.

So just watch something with plenty of action and don't think about it too hard, I say. Like D.Gray-Man or the original Fullmetal Alchemist series.

Radar
2012-01-16, 10:58 AM
Hellsing Ultimate.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet. I'm surprised I hadn't mentioned it yet!
There's a fine line between mindless and axe-crazy. As much as I liked Hellsing, it's not something I'd watch to shut my brain down. I do have to admit, you don't have to focus on the plot too much though.

If you consider manga, then Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku is throwing away logic and physics replacing them with awesome. Fates of whole nations are decided over a game of mahjong. Expect battle auras, cheating, improbable skills and signature moves.

There is also a short manga called Densha de D, which gave us this (http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5830/multitrackdrifting.jpg) little gem.

Yora
2012-01-16, 10:59 AM
The action anime I watch are usually not mindless.

Except Appleseed! :smallbiggrin:
These movies are dumb and have retarded plots that are just an excuse for awesome fight scenes. The 2004 movie and Ex Machina from 2007 are both very entertaining. No idea about the 1988 movie, though.
It's like Ghost in the Shell with your brain turned off.

They also made a 13 episode series last summer, didn't hear of that before.

Knaight
2012-01-16, 11:08 AM
Code Geass fits - it can be appreciated at a level beyond mindless action, but there is a mindless action element to it. Then there are the truly mindless works, such as Darker than Black, Helsing, Law of Ueki, and Black Cat.

That said, there is a fairly optimistic, happy series with plenty of action that would likely make a good transition away from very serious literature - Bamboo Blade.

Brother Oni
2012-01-16, 11:10 AM
These movies are dumb and have retarded plots that are just an excuse for awesome fight scenes. The 2004 movie and Ex Machina from 2007 are both very entertaining. No idea about the 1988 movie, though.

The 1988 movie is about par on plot with the 2004 movie but doesn't have the redeeming awesome action scenes.

As for mindless action anime... La Blue Girl, or is that the wrong sort of action? :smalltongue:

nihil8r
2012-01-16, 12:55 PM
The action anime I watch are usually not mindless.

It's like Ghost in the Shell with your brain turned off.

They also made a 13 episode series last summer, didn't hear of that before.

my friends and i tried to watch the 2004 appleseed movie saturday night. we only got about 10-15 minutes into it before i just got up and walked out of the room, it was that horrible. 12 framerate low resolution CGI backgrounds combined with brain-erasing exposition monologues . . . it's incredulously bad.

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-16, 03:28 PM
Actually, having seen them all relatively recently, the most recent is technically the better appleseed, but given the choice the old one is the only one I'd re-watch. It has real 80's cop movie-esque charm in a way that the others are lacking. They're all plenty mindless enough, though.

Top cat
2012-01-16, 04:17 PM
Fist of the north star? I have not watched it, so there's a fair chance it isn't mindless. But it could possibly be what you're looking for, assuming you've already watched TTGL.

Comet
2012-01-16, 04:26 PM
The Getter shows have a fair bit of over the top dramatic mecha action. Try Getter Armageddon and New Getter, I really enjoyed those.

Plus, you know, they are short. Armageddon in particular, just a handful of episodes.

Gives you a fair bit of perspective on where Gurren Lagann, among others, came from. Plus they both have bat**** insane hotblooded Ryoma in them, who is very much entertaining to watch.

Mercenary Pen
2012-01-16, 06:08 PM
Not entirely mindless, but Samurai 7 is fairly light hearted much of the way through (playing for laughs much of the time), and it should have enough action to suit you.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-01-18, 02:22 PM
Well, unsurprisingly, I was beat multiple times over to suggesting TTGL. But, seriously, that's the one you're looking for.

Also, I'm seconding the recommendation of Claymore, which has a nice dark atmosphere, and some interesting world concepts.

HFool
2012-01-19, 01:34 AM
Forgot another one: Mazinkaiser SKL. Super crazy, bloody, full of action and short enough to not outstay it's welcome. Think of it as M.D. Geist, but great instead of kind of whatever.

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-19, 01:51 AM
Actually, Black Lagoon could be worth a look. Modern, real world over the top action. Has a real dark heart to it, some nicely cynical badasses, gun running nuns and everyone smokes all the time.

Nice, kind of cubanish tropical setting, too.

Eldan
2012-01-19, 06:28 AM
Black Lagoon is explicitely set in Thailand, though. Most of the time. THere's a few parts in Japan and, I think, America.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-19, 11:41 PM
Samurai Champloo (to a certain extent)