PDA

View Full Version : possible campaign rule? [TOB]

Kol Korran
2012-01-13, 10:57 AM
(not sure if this goes here or homebrew.. i'll try here first)

hi there. in developing a pirate campaign i've been considering the Tome of battle... i want to include maneuvers in the campaign, but i wanted to do something a little different than usual, and i wanted your thoughts, critics and info.
it is still being built and adjusted, but the basics are as follows:

1) classes: there is more or less clear definition between the islanders culture (from which the PCs hail) and the Empire tradition (a sort of advanced colonial force) and the far traders (we won't get into that now). that division comes to effect in many aspects, including equipment, races, and even classes.

the islanders' classes can be divided to witch classes (mostly spontaneous casters and similar- sorcerers, warlock, binders, favored souls, bard and the like) and the martial classes, which are the barbarian, monk, ranger and scoundrel (rogue mixed with swashbuckler). all 4 races have quite a few opportunities of ACF, and have been adjusted both in flavor and mechanics to fit the world.

2) i want to add some sort of a maneuver mechanic to these 4 classes. the main reason is to give them more options, and make them somewhat more fun. (more than "i hit again") my questions regarding this:

- how strong will my suggested mechanics make these classes? compared to regular tome of battle classes? compared to the witch classes?

- do you think it is fun?

- do you think the disciplines fit the classes?

3) the actual rules (so far): (rationalization in red)
All the non witch classes get access to maneuvers and stances (for Maneuvers known). However, there are differences from the tome of battle. The copy pasted table (the swordsages progression) how the maneuvers known and stances know. Readied maneuvers are not used in this campaign. Abilities do not increase the known maneuvers or stances. DCs are based on Either Wis or Int, at your choosing.

I've chosen the sword sage's table to enable many maneuvers known. i think of the islanders as wily, resourceful, with many tricks up their sleeves.

the player disliked the "readied maneuvers/ encounter" mechanic, so i try to find something more akin with what they know- see next

At first levels you can use maneuvers 6+ Con modifier times a day. Barbarians don't get extra maneuvers when raging. Each level you gain in a mundane class adds you 1 more daily maneuver use. (But not new maneuvers! Those are by the table) multi classing doesn't get you new maneuvers or the 6+con extra uses. It just gets you access to new disciplines, by the class levels. You may choose your new known maneuver (by the table) in these disciplines.

so it will be a bit like spontaneous maneuver casting. the uses/ day may seem a bit low, but:
- they can use their high level maneuvers with this all the way.
- this is in addition to their normal class abilities, not their main shtick (like the regular tome of battle characters are)
balanced? thoughts? other ideas of progression?

Each time you get a new maneuver level, you can change a previous maneuver to any level you have, including the new one! (this will lead to having at mid- high levels 3 maneuvers of the highest levels you have.)

After using a maneuver, you can't use it for 2 rounds. After that, it's accessible again

this is as a safety of spamming one really powerful maneuver over and over again... not sure it's a good enough safety measure.

4) the disciplines
Barb: Devoted spirit, Stone dragon, white raven
Monk: Devouted spirit, diamond mind, setting sun, stone dragon
Ranger: diamond mind, iron heart, stone dragon (i really need some sort of ranged maneuvers as well)
Scoundrel: diamond mind, iron heart, setting sun, white raven

so thoughts? :smallconfused::smallwink:

thanks in advance,
Kol.

Search word: piratewitch

Morbis Meh
2012-01-13, 11:11 AM
This probably could go in homebrew but as for your school choices... take off devoted spirit for the barb and replace it with ironheart and white raven with tiger claw(makes much more sense flavorwise). Monk is fine, ranger is alright but for scoundrel replace iron heart with shadow hand. Powerwise it will provide a nice boost.